Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama chooses Biden as running mate

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#46    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 24 August 2008 - 03:12 AM

Siara on Aug 23 2008, 11:03 PM, said:

Delaware is, interestingly, not a heavily taxed state.  They don't have any sales tax, for example.  

It's true that Biden has a big mouth, but that doesn't bother me too much.  McCain has a big mouth too, and it doesn't bother me in McCain either.

It's interesting to hear that Biden is popular in Pennsylvania.  Is Arlen Specter in the running for McCain's VP?

Arlen Specter, for example, is a Republican I actually like. And I don't know if he is or isn't. I know the dude from Florida was being considered. I don't care who he picks, short of Christ, I'm not voting for him. And I'm not like some ardent liberals who don't give McCain any credit whatsoever. If McCain had stuck to his guns and not started his smear campaign, I might have considered him. I think he is a hero for what he did in Vietnam, refusing to leave his men behind. I honestly would have considered voting for him, but not now. He's become what he supposedly despised.

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#47    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:14 AM

I define myself as a moderate. These are my views.

War: War is sometimes required, but is evil. I was originally against the Iraq war but I feel we now have a moral obligation to stay because of how our so called president has screwed things up.

Gay marriage: Completely for the legalization of gay marriage.

Energy: I think we should heavily invest in alternatives while currently turning to nuclear. Serious research funds should be aquired for finding uses for nuclear waste or at least a safe way to dispose of the waste.

Abortion: Abortion should be outlawed after the 5th month of conception. It is roughly around this time that the brain becomes active and is thus alive. It's a happy comprimise for the pro-life advocates and the pro-choice advocates. In addition measures should be taken to encourage the use of birth control and should be made readily available in the school system.

Civil liberties: I'm a huge advocate for civil liberties and limited government. Free speech is the most important factor in any thriving society. Political correctness of the left and religious oppression by the right have resulted in less and less freedom for our citizens. I despise President Bush and former president FDR for the power they assumed in the name of national defense. The United States is not a monarchy. I would like to see the presidents powers limited and the patriot act abolished.

Taxes: I support an even percentile for all incomes. Huckabee's plan would be fine with me as well.

NATO: I'm heavily against NATO as I am a large advocate of national sovereignty.

Illegal Immigration: They should be given a pathway to citizen ship as it would be inhumane in my oppinion to remove them. Programs need to be instituted to help them adapt to our society. All schools should require Spanish and English to be thoroughly taught.

Those are my stands. If I left out any issues you are curious about let me know. Am I moderate? You be the judge.

#48    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

Where I Stand On The Issues:

Foriegn Policy:

I am completely against the Iraq war, but I'm not a pacifist. Clearly I wish to avoid war, but sometimes, unfortunately, it is necessary. I believe America should stand up for those who are unable to stand for themselves, which is why I completely agree with intervening in Darfur. We should not allow human rights violations - period.

Free Trade:

I'm on the fence here. Free Trade allows American companies to ship jobs overseas then import the goods made by foreign hands for free. No tariffs, nothing. This is a problem. I don't think American companies should be allowed to do this.

Immigration:

I'm against illegal immigration, but those here should be allowed to stay.

Energy & Oil:

We have the technology to completely rid the nation of anything running off oil. We've had the technology for years. The car companies need to climb out of the pockets of oil companies.

Gun Control:

I believe people should be allowed to own weapons. It's a Constitutional right.

Drugs:

Legalize all drugs. It's not the governments right to tell me what I can put into my body.

Environment:

I'm an environmentalist.

Taxes:

I think the government needs to get rid of some taxes and fees. I'd like to get rid of the income tax and replace it with a national sales tax.

Welfare:

I am completely for welfare. We cannot disregard the squalor, and we certainly cannot allow people to go hungry or to live in unheated flats.

Gay Marriage:

No problem with it whatsoever.

Abortion:

Outlaw abortion entirely.

If I forgot anything, just ask.

I don't know what you'd classify me as. Pretty liberal, I guess, except for on a few issues.

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#49    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 9,946 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:06 AM

InHuman on Aug 23 2008, 09:31 PM, said:

You don't have the 3 legged races in the queen's country?

No, when it comes to politics we have the Donkey Derby,  grin2.gif

Guardsman Bass on Aug 23 2008, 09:36 PM, said:

It's a presidential candidate's choice for Vice President over here in America-land. More or less, it's a rather almost useless post in most cases, which is kind of sad; I really think the Vice President should take a very active role in promoting the President's goals in Congress, and should participate in an equivalent to Question Time.

thanks for the reply,

Am worried for America because what I've seen of McCain and Barrack they both look like poor candidates, its a shame really that out of the whole USofA these are your best two, maybe its a sign of the times, but when either of these get into office i feel it wont be god bless America, it'll be more like god help  America,  i hope am wrong and most probably am,

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#50    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 24 August 2008 - 11:12 PM

BlindMessiah on Aug 24 2008, 12:14 AM, said:

I define myself as a moderate. These are my views.

War: War is sometimes required, but is evil. I was originally against the Iraq war but I feel we now have a moral obligation to stay because of how our so called president has screwed things up.

Gay marriage: Completely for the legalization of gay marriage.

Energy: I think we should heavily invest in alternatives while currently turning to nuclear. Serious research funds should be aquired for finding uses for nuclear waste or at least a safe way to dispose of the waste.

Abortion: Abortion should be outlawed after the 5th month of conception. It is roughly around this time that the brain becomes active and is thus alive. It's a happy comprimise for the pro-life advocates and the pro-choice advocates. In addition measures should be taken to encourage the use of birth control and should be made readily available in the school system.

Civil liberties: I'm a huge advocate for civil liberties and limited government. Free speech is the most important factor in any thriving society. Political correctness of the left and religious oppression by the right have resulted in less and less freedom for our citizens. I despise President Bush and former president FDR for the power they assumed in the name of national defense. The United States is not a monarchy. I would like to see the presidents powers limited and the patriot act abolished.

I actually support an equivalent of all of these positions. You may be more left-leaning than you think you are.

Taxes: I support an even percentile for all incomes. Huckabee's plan would be fine with me as well.

I don't necessarily agree with this, because I think that different taxation levels on different levels of income can be beneficial to society and a government.

NATO: I'm heavily against NATO as I am a large advocate of national sovereignty

Although I generally support national sovereignty, you have to keep in mind that it is eroding not merely by government choice but by technological advance and the like. We simply live in a much smaller world these days in terms of communication and transportation, and that means that unless a major war breaks out to disrupt all of the above (like it did to the Globalization pre-1914), the traditional nation-state is going to lose some of its power both to smaller level groups (be they ethnic groups or what not) and higher level organizations (not the UN, but things like multinational corporations, the IMF, World Bank).

NATO is basically a fossilized organization at this point that helps keep Western Europe in our orbit. I'd be in favor of revising it around a new purpose, and including Russia as well.

Illegal Immigration: They should be given a pathway to citizen ship as it would be inhumane in my oppinion to remove them. Programs need to be instituted to help them adapt to our society. All schools should require Spanish and English to be thoroughly taught.

You probably could not do Spanish specifically as a second language from early age and schooling, but a foreign language, period, would be helpful (I think that most parents would probably choose Spanish, but it would leave it up to them). At the same time, we might as well simply make English an official language - it won't kill us, and it will ease some of the ethnic tension.

Those are my stands. If I left out any issues you are curious about let me know. Am I moderate? You be the judge.

You seem like a left-leaning libertarian, although it's hard to tell since you didn't offer positions on any of the issues that generally separate left-leaning libertarians from left-leaners/Social Democrats in general (like health care, welfare, and so forth).

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#51    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 04:08 AM

Guardsman Bass on Aug 24 2008, 11:12 PM, said:

I actually support an equivalent of all of these positions. You may be more left-leaning than you think you are.

I don't necessarily agree with this, because I think that different taxation levels on different levels of income can be beneficial to society and a government.

Although I generally support national sovereignty, you have to keep in mind that it is eroding not merely by government choice but by technological advance and the like. We simply live in a much smaller world these days in terms of communication and transportation, and that means that unless a major war breaks out to disrupt all of the above (like it did to the Globalization pre-1914), the traditional nation-state is going to lose some of its power both to smaller level groups (be they ethnic groups or what not) and higher level organizations (not the UN, but things like multinational corporations, the IMF, World Bank).

NATO is basically a fossilized organization at this point that helps keep Western Europe in our orbit. I'd be in favor of revising it around a new purpose, and including Russia as well.

You probably could not do Spanish specifically as a second language from early age and schooling, but a foreign language, period, would be helpful (I think that most parents would probably choose Spanish, but it would leave it up to them). At the same time, we might as well simply make English an official language - it won't kill us, and it will ease some of the ethnic tension.

You seem like a left-leaning libertarian, although it's hard to tell since you didn't offer positions on any of the issues that generally separate left-leaning libertarians from left-leaners/Social Democrats in general (like health care, welfare, and so forth).

Left-leaning libertarian would be an accurate position. I consider that a moderate though as there is a lot of compromise involved.

#52    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:33 AM

So much for the party of change, Bidden has been a congressman for over 30 years

#53    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 28 August 2008 - 04:38 AM

Caesar on Aug 27 2008, 11:33 PM, said:

So much for the party of change, Bidden has been a congressman for over 30 years

He's got great hair-plugs.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users