Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Do You Favor Increased Fuel Prices?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

Do you favor increased fuel prices to spur/encourage further alternative fuel sources?

I ask because I've encountered (I believe) such thought, here on this forum.

Do you favor increasing gasoline prices to spur the necessity for alternative fuels?

Simple question, and your reasoning welcomed. No need for another dumb poll!

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

#2    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:27 AM

Incorrigible1 on Aug 30 2008, 03:24 AM, said:

Do you favor increased fuel prices to spur/encourage further alternative fuel sources?

I ask because I've encountered (I believe) such thought, here on this forum.

Do you favor increasing gasoline prices to spur the necessity for alternative fuels?

Simple question, and your reasoning welcomed. No need for another dumb poll!

No. And Obama won't raise fuel prices.

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#3    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:47 AM

IrishAidan on Aug 30 2008, 02:27 AM, said:

Like he has a real choice in the matter. Directly.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

#4    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 07:51 AM

Incorrigible1 on Aug 30 2008, 03:47 AM, said:

Like he has a real choice in the matter. Directly.

Well, not directly, but I dun think he'll propose it. Do you?

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#5    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

IrishAidan on Aug 30 2008, 02:51 AM, said:

Well, not directly, but I dun think he'll propose it. Do you?

Has any president? No.

Just what are your expectations? Geez, there's a president. You know, that person doesn't set fuel prices. Right?

Edit: Sometimes I can't help wonder younger generations expectations. We live in a free market. No one sets prices.

Edited by Incorrigible1, 30 August 2008 - 08:02 AM.

Posted Image

#6    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:05 AM

Incorrigible1 on Aug 30 2008, 04:00 AM, said:

Has any president? No.

Just what are your expectations? Geez, there's a president. You know, that person doesn't set fuel prices. Right?

Edit: Sometimes I can't help wonder younger generations expectations. We live in a free market. No one sets prices.

Never ceases to amaze me how quickly older generations forget about the infamous "Bully Pulpit."   grin2.gif

Guess I'm just a dumb young'in....

Like watchin' heartache on TV...  hmm.gif

Edited by IrishAidan, 30 August 2008 - 08:10 AM.

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#7    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

IrishAidan on Aug 30 2008, 03:05 AM, said:

Never ceases to amaze me how quickly older generations forget about the infamous "Bully Pulpit."   grin2.gif

Guess I'm just a dumb young'in....

Just sayin', if you believe somehow the next elected president has a direct handle on the price of fuel, that's not how it works.

They can sorta steer markets,  but not much more.

Just as J. Carter didn't have a great deal of control over the rationing that became necessary during his term. Oh yeah, I remember purchasing fuel according to the odd/even number on my license plate.

Posted Image

#8    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:17 AM

Incorrigible1 on Aug 30 2008, 04:12 AM, said:

Just sayin', if you believe somehow the next elected president has a direct handle on the price of fuel, that's not how it works.

Guess a president has no right to PROPOSE anything. Similarly, even though popular, nobody will listen to he or she when they say this or that.

Although, it isn't "direct," as Incon said.

They can sorta steer markets,  but not much more.

I can jive with that.

Just as J. Carter didn't have a great deal of control over the rationing that became necessary during his term. Oh yeah, I remember purchasing fuel according to the odd/even number on my license plate.

And Carter didn't decide that on his own.  grin2.gif "Bully Pulpit" can be for the good -- or the bad.

Either way, I know what Incon meant. Smart guy. Can't help but to like him.

Edited by IrishAidan, 30 August 2008 - 08:23 AM.

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#9    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,321 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:36 AM

Well, considering that the common people bear the brunt of such prices, and their role could be considered a "squeaky wheel" at best when alternative fuels are concerned, then no, I don't agree that higher fuel costs really help spur the need for alternative fuels very much. I think that lately it has become evident that we need to get away from oil as our main fuel, there are too many benefits to mention. JMO thumbsup.gif

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#10    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 30 August 2008 - 08:52 AM

Yes. They are a very effective way of getting to greatly increased fuel efficiency as well as increased use of more efficient methods of transit (including more trains), and certainly much simpler than trying to get to greater fuel efficiency via more complex standards like fuel efficiency standards and so forth. Plus, they help move the US towards a significantly less oil-dependent society, which is definitely a good thing; the greater mass of our convention reserves are gone, so we're going to import more and more over time unless we change.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#11    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

IrishAidan on Aug 30 2008, 03:27 AM, said:

Why not? He's already on record saying he only wishes the increase had been slower, not that the increase didn't happen at all.

I don't understand the problem with higher gas prices anyway. For all my adult life I have heard some people lament "It's not fair! We pay soooooo much less for gas than in Europe. It's not fair!" So now that we are paying much more for gas they should be happy. But they aren't. Why not?  tongue.gif

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

#12    Mr Honeybadger

Mr Honeybadger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

No. Take whatever steps are necessary to get the price lower while at the same time invest more resources in developing alternative fuels.  

Ask the over-the-road independent truck drivers if they like prices kept high. If you support the idea you'd probably get a lug wrench beating.

#13    Aztec Warrior

Aztec Warrior

Ancient Order of Hibernians Grand Master

• 3,339 posts

• A neoconservative is a "liberal mugged by reality," one who became more conservative after seeing the results of liberal policies.Iriving Kristol

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:49 PM

IrishAidan on Aug 30 2008, 02:27 AM, said:

How do you figure? He has proposed a wind fall profits tax of oil corporations and increase federal gas taxes at the pump, so that will naturally be passed down to consumers in the form of higher gasoline prices.  Economics 101.

Edited by Aztec Warrior, 30 August 2008 - 02:50 PM.

Posted ImageBlurring and Stirring the truth and the lies

So I don't know what's real and what's not
Always confusing the thoughts in my head
So I can't trust myself anymore
I'm dying again

#14    ravergirl

ravergirl

Government Agent

• 3,850 posts

• OPEN your EYES

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

I don't favor furthur increased fuel prices.

I am theNON-SEQUITUR-ER

#15    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

I say take measures for more efficient consumption of Oil like discourage those mammoth SUV's and then drill.
That will bring the price down.
We don't even have to push for alternative, it will just be there once there is a market for it. Research has been going on for the past 20 years on it, just that what is available does not have a market yet.

Edited by AROCES, 30 August 2008 - 02:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users