Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 5 votes

Lycans

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
412 replies to this topic

#376    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• I'm just saying.

Posted 04 September 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostThinkbeforeyoucomment, on 06 July 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

Nooo, it comes from either lycanthrope, or Lycaon, a greek king that was turned into a wolf by zeus. Underworld just made the name lycan look bad.
Yes the word "Lycan" comes from the word lycanthrope. However Lycan was not used until the Underworld movies came out.

I'm just saying.

#377    SusieL

SusieL

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

View Postdeadtotheworld, on 30 August 2008 - 10:28 PM, said:

Well, I was always a little wolfish, I guess that I didn't make the connection until I was about 14.  I did a lot of researching into both old myth and Clinical Lycanthropy, and found that alot of the things spoken about partained to me, with the exception of the transformation.  Of course, this could be because I'm still young, I honestly dont know, Im no expert on the subjuct.  Of course, with clinical Lycanthropy, there were a few symptoms that I was able to say, "Thats not me."

My human friends all say that Im a little dogish too, which I find funny, since they dont know the truth.

Clinical lycanthropy like any other mental illness has symptoms that will not perfectly fit everyone, in fact there will always be symptoms that will not fit. I'm speaking from personal experience with mental health problems, so you could in fact have clinical lycanthropy without actually being a "lycan". I'm going to be one of the people here who's going to point out the obvious indescrepencies with this, unless you've never had a cold, or any other strain of illness that effects only humans, unless you've never had a blood test that would show that your blood is different from "humans" then sweetie, you're human.

Physically and genetically human, clinical lycanthropy although extremely rare is a likely culprit for what you're experiences, also there have been studies that show that the moon might have an effect on human behaviour, wether it's the moon itself or societal I honestly do not know, but I just wanted to add my two cents from my own experience.

#378    HeathenRoyalty

HeathenRoyalty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 329 posts

• "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." -Hunter S. Thompson

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:58 AM

I feel dumber for having read this.

#379    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

I am not an irrational number

• 3,512 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

View PostHeathenRoyalty, on 07 September 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

I feel dumber for having read this.

Welcome to UM.....

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."

July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0

#380    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Don't try to force your flawed human logic on us!

• 2,448 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:00 PM

I can make water turn in to gold, its about as plausible as this whole lycan thing

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#381    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:12 AM

View PostPapagiorgio, on 04 September 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Yes the word "Lycan" comes from the word lycanthrope. However Lycan was not used until the Underworld movies came out.

Actually, (and just to nitpick) the word Lycan had been used long before the movie. I myself used it in fiction two years before Underworld came out.

#382    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• I'm just saying.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PosttheSOURCE, on 09 September 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

Actually, (and just to nitpick) the word Lycan had been used long before the movie. I myself used it in fiction two years before Underworld came out.
No it hasn't. The term "Lycan" was made popular by the Underworld movies.  You may have used it in your fiction, but that doesn't mean the word was "in use" long before the movie. It wasn't. Before underworld everyone said lycanthrope or werewolf.

I'm just saying.

#383    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,590 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:55 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 08 September 2013 - 11:00 PM, said:

I can make water turn in to gold, its about as plausible as this whole lycan thing
http://news.yahoo.co...-180356174.html

#384    Asadora

Asadora

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

• We have been given a chance to make things happen, but the instructions didn't include how to make things better.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:57 PM

Okay. So I read this thread.

Anyone know if the OP is ever gonna come back with a sequel? I feel like I'm on the edge of my seat here.

Kind Regards :blush:

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#385    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostPapagiorgio, on 09 September 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

No it hasn't. The term "Lycan" was made popular by the Underworld movies.  You may have used it in your fiction, but that doesn't mean the word was "in use" long before the movie. It wasn't. Before underworld everyone said lycanthrope or werewolf.

Do yourself a favor and do a little research before you reply.

Lycan is the Greek word for wolf and has been around for centuries. It is also the word which lycanthrope evolved from, not the other way around.

#386    Papagiorgio

Papagiorgio

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

• I'm just saying.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

View PosttheSOURCE, on 09 September 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

Do yourself a favor and do a little research before you reply.

Lycan is the Greek word for wolf and has been around for centuries. It is also the word which lycanthrope evolved from, not the other way around.
The greek word for wolf is Likos ( lukos)not Lycan. The creators of Underworld took the word Lycanthrope, and shortened it to give their werewolves a cool new name.
Do yourself a favor, and practice what you preach.

I'm just saying.

#387    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

Lycan is derived from the word lykos as is lycanthrope derived from lykanthrõpia, which came into use around 1575.

It's origins have nothing to do with the movie Underworld.

Edited by theSOURCE, 09 September 2013 - 06:36 PM.

#388    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

Don't try to force your flawed human logic on us!

• 2,448 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

View PostThe New Richard Nixon, on 09 September 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

Thats a cool link Nixon but what where you trying to point out by showing me it, That water can turn to gold, Notice that its because of an earthquake, nothing  a human did

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#389    Asadora

Asadora

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

• We have been given a chance to make things happen, but the instructions didn't include how to make things better.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:25 PM

..and the thread comes back to life!

Awhoooooo-howl.

"From time to time there appear on the face of the earth men of rare and consummate excellence, who dazzle us by their virtue, and whose outstanding qualities shed a stupendous light. Like those extraordinary stars of whose origins we are ignorant, and of whose fate, once they have vanished, we know even less, such men have neither forebears nor descendants: they are the whole of their race."  -- Jean de la Bruyere 1645-1696.

#390    PlanB

PlanB

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

• Find out what you love and let it kill you.

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

Guys, I think I might be a lichen. Every full moon, I grow very slowly on the north side of trees. I believe the clinical term which I self-diagnosed myself with is called lichenthropy, which makes my condition sound much more legit than weremoss. I'd be willing to answer any questions that you have for me, but please, nothing dumb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users