Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

American Atlantis

• Please log in to reply
1338 replies to this topic

#856    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,764 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 01:42 AM

Harte on Feb 3 2009, 07:25 AM, said:

And don't be surprised by my statement about corroborating data.

Aw, come on, Harte. Pretty much everyone here provides "corroborating" data. That is, assuming it's one of the websites created by the umbrella corporation Info-for-the-Gullible.com.

Now, I could've gone all day without writing that. How mean!

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#857    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,734 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:01 PM

there should be a skeptic-O-Meter!!! and perhaps a Meanie-Meter too.  devil.gif

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#858    Harte

Harte

Supremely Educated Knower of Everything in Existence

• 9,145 posts

• Skeptic

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

kmt_sesh on Feb 3 2009, 07:42 PM, said:

Now, I could've gone all day without writing that. How mean!

Dude!

Stop harshin' all their mellows!

Harte

I've consulted all the sages I could find in yellow pages but there aren't many of them. - The Alan Parsons Project
Most people would die sooner than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell
Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong. - Thomas Jefferson
Giorgio's dying Ancient Aliens internet forum

#859    darkbreed

darkbreed

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:24 PM

The new find on the ocean bottom near the west coast of Africa is quite interesting. It does look artificial, and if man made this certainly could be a decent candidate for the location of Atlantis. Original post about this was found here http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...howtopic=147462

The location:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...&iwloc=addr

As you see, it is rather in the middle of Mexico and Egypt which would
suit perfectly my thoughts that Mexico and Egypt where possibly two of the main
places Atlantean survivors ended up, those heading west would end up
in Mexico and central america, where you'll also find the strongest
evidence of advanced civilization in latin americas as mentioned in my previous
posts, and those heading east could easily have ended up through the
straights of gibraltar and sailed all the way to egypt area and
settled down there where also strong evidence of an advanced
civilizations is found in Africa. Considering how close this is to Greece
it could also explain how Plato got to know about it, and perhaps
indeed some of these Atlanteans even settled down there as well
as Plato indicated (though he said they were in war but who knows
if any of them stayed or not if it happened at all)

I'm wondering if the Island may also have originally been located more towards the
middle of the ocean between latin america and africa, on the mid
atlantic ridge, but been skewed towards the east due to the tectonic
activities through time?

In any case it will be interesting to see more research on this new find and if they manage to retrieve any artifacts or even find some ruins and architecture still well-preserved to give an idea of what civilization/culture might have lived there, and when it would have been etc.

An email I sent to someone I'm in discussion with minutes right before I read the post about the new finding mentioned above:

For any survivors of this cataclysmic event erhaps all they could do was gather in
some boats and escape, not knowing where - or if - they would end up
at all. Here is a map of the whole midatlantic ridge, tectonic
activity has caused a lot of vulcanos and damage to landmasses that
either exist there now or did in the past, some islands have emerged
as a result of the plates pushing upwards, while others may have
sunken - such as Atlantis most likely did.

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/942/10019160.JPG

The square marks Island, where the ridge actually splits the country,
and a huge endless crack goes through the island showing its powerful
effects.

Also notice how close it actually is to South America as well, making
it more than possible that any survivors heading towards the west of
the ridge would end up there, or perhaps all the way up in Central
America such as Mexico - which by the way seem like a very possible
place considering its interesting evidence of the lost civilizations
there and down in south america such as Peru and Macchu Picchu there
etc. The interesting thins is that both in Central and South america,
the architecture was better in the older ruins than later ones, just
like in Egypt with the pyramids. This indicates that the first
builders knew more about architecture and getting it right than the
later generations. Could this mean that they originally came from
somewhere else where they already had this knowledge, and once these
original people died out the knowledge dissappeared with them in both
locations? (Americas and Egypt).

To me the evidence, which I've presented in a web forum I believe I
mentioned earlier, strongly indicates a contact between the Americas
and Africa/Egypt, and a common origin of the people behind the great
civilizations there. It looks quite possible that survivors of any
island going throuh a cataclysmic event placed on the mid atlantic
ridge between africa and latin americas would end up going in
different directions depending on what side of the island they lived
on, so those close to the Latin American side would get in their boats
and head in that direction away from the catastrophy, and those on the
African side would get in their boats and go in that direction away
from the same catastrophy - thus splitting the people up in two groups
ending up in at least two different parts of the world where they
started their new lives.

Any survivors ending up in these two different continents would obviously be affected by the local cultures and new cultures and civilization could have sprouted from this in both locations, and in either case when people from a common origin split up and start their lives from scratch in new places of the world new cultures will be the result in either case as is seen by every country of the Earth and the different cultures we have.

If there is anything to this idea, I see it as likely that it would take some time to rebuild the two new separate societies in these two different locations, and new religions and other cultural aspects could arise from the separation itself, being in a completely new place, having new generations of the original people growing up in a new place, and the influence of whatever cultures and people where in the areas already.

Thus some similarities in many ways as described in several posts here before, but also the many differences. And again this could explain how the two continents got in contact with eachother as well, considering the survivors and their close generations would know about their origins and perhaps set out to try find their home land again and this may have led to some ending up in Latin America from Africa, or the other way around, and gotten the two split cultures in contact again perhaps decades or more after the original incident. It is also interesting that there are as mentioned indications that the earlier builders of the architecture had better knowledge and did a better job than later ones, which one should have thought would be the other way around as normally technology progress and dont regress - but this could have been explained by the original builders already having some knowledge about this from their origins but perhaps they did not stay around long enough for it to continue progressing from there on since it all had to start from scratch again even though the people in both areas managed to maintain this technology for some time before it went downhill.

-EA

www.PleiadianTalk.tk/ - Perspectives from a member of the Great White Brotherhood
American Atlantis Research - Documenting pre-colombian world migration and Atlantis-America
Increase your astral proection skills - Here at Unexplained Mysteries Forums!

#860    legionromanes

legionromanes

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

really you are scraping the barrel by including the google earth Atlantis
its a natural feature
and its the size of wales
thumbsup.gif

Any survivors ending up in these two different continents would obviously be affected by the local cultures and new cultures and civilization could have sprouted from this in both locations, and in either case when people from a common origin split up and start their lives from scratch in new places of the world new cultures will be the result in either case as is seen by every country of the Earth and the different cultures we have.

this is blatantly false, as is seen by every country on earth shows the similarity in languages and culture. there is no such similarity between egypt and america and the roots of both cultures are totally explained and known
thumbsup.gif

#861    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:22 PM

I'll be the harsh guy...
That google sea thing has been reported to be technical glitches from the mapping process.
I was bummed too...looked pretty cool.
*dodges the thrown shoe*
Sorry!

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#862    wind sermera

wind sermera

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:42 PM

very good you took Platos sayiong with really is not all rght cuz he reheard the tal fome hs uncal i think it was who heard it form some one els who got it from an egypt preist who read form an old stone he found in a runie but you did great work on ths by conetion of info and uting some where no one would even think of and making seem very posable just by the items

At 412x538 your signature graphic exceeded the 500x150 size limit and was removed ~Forum Mod

#863    Otorongo

Otorongo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:44 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechn...ping-lines.html

Google Ocean: Atlantis 'found off Africa' turns out to be boat mapping lines
Hopes that a 'grid of streets' of the lost city of Atlantis had been found on Google Ocean have been shattered.

By Matthew Moore
Last Updated: 3:47PM GMT 20 Feb 2009
Previous
1 of 5 Images
Next
The perfect rectangle, which is around the size of Wales, was noticed on the search giant's underwater exploration tool Photo: GOOGLE EARTH
The underwater image can be found at the co-ordinates 31 15'15.53N 24 15'30.53W Photo: GOOGLE EARTH
Google Ocean, an extension of Google Earth, allows web users to virtually explore the ocean Photo: GOOGLE EARTH
The site was launched earlier this month Photo: GOOGLE EARTH
The legend of Atlantis has excited the public imagination for centuries Photo: GOOGLE EARTH

Keen observers had spotted what appeared to be the outline of a vast city on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean.

But the criss-crossing lines, located 600 miles west of the Canary Islands, were today explained by Google as sonar data collected as boats mapped the ocean floor.

A spokeswoman said: "It's true that many amazing discoveries have been made in Google Earth including a pristine forest in Mozambique that is home to previously unknown species and the remains of an Ancient Roman villa.

"In this case, however, what users are seeing is an artefact of the data collection process.

"Bathymetric (or sea floor terrain) data is often collected from boats using sonar to take measurements of the sea floor.

"The lines reflect the path of the boat as it gathers the data.

"The fact that there are blank spots between each of these lines is a sign of how little we really know about the world's oceans."

The network of criss-cross lines had been spotted 620 miles off the coast of north west Africa near the Canary Islands on the floor of the Atlantic Ocean.

The perfect rectangle was noticed on the search giant's underwater exploration tool by an aeronautical engineer who claims it looks like an "aerial map" of a city.

The underwater image can be found at the co-ordinates 31 15'15.53N 24 15'30.53W.

Google Ocean, an extension of Google Earth, allows web users to virtually explore the ocean with thousands of images of underwater landscapes.

Launched earlier this month, it lets users swim around underwater volcanoes, watch videos about exotic marine life, read about nearby shipwrecks, contribute photos and watch unseen footage of historic ocean expeditions.

The legend of Atlantis has excited the public imagination for centuries. In recent years "evidence" of the lost kingdom has been found off the coast of Cyprus and in southern Spain.

Plato described it as an island "larger than Libya and Asia put together" in front of the Pillars of Hercules - the Straits of Gibraltar. He said Atlantis was a land of fabulous wealth, advanced civilisation and natural beauty destroyed by earthquakes and floods 9,000 years earlier.

You do realize that Peruvian pyramids predate Mesoamerican pyramids for quite some time.

http://www.jqjacobs.net/andes/coast.html

#864    thefinalfrontier

thefinalfrontier

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,586 posts

• When a chicken hawk is around a wise rooster will not bury its head~ ~ ~ ~ Barney Fife~ ~ ~

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

I think if we just wait until the entire story unfolds and it gets checked out thouroghly we should not simply dismiss the info. saying its glitches, im staying with the possibility of a sunken city or land mark of some type, Seems to me the ship mapping thing would be very difficult to make such a pattern of this sorts, I think if we just wait and let some investigation go on about it and its completely told its a shipping issue then its the end of it, BUT, If they find something indeed then we will all be exited, Its gonna take plenty of time,

JMHO,

Time will tell it all,

#865    darkbreed

darkbreed

Psychic Spy

• 2,052 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:10 AM

OH well glitches or not, I still think there's something about the mid atlantic ridge still to be discovered original.gif

Time will tell

Cheers
-EA

www.PleiadianTalk.tk/ - Perspectives from a member of the Great White Brotherhood
American Atlantis Research - Documenting pre-colombian world migration and Atlantis-America
Increase your astral proection skills - Here at Unexplained Mysteries Forums!

#866    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,734 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:12 AM

Howdy EA....long time no see!

Unless some one sends a ROV into that location, those thingy shown on Google earth will remain sonar mapping lines.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#867    Otorongo

Otorongo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:38 AM

darkbreed on Feb 21 2009, 05:10 AM, said:

OH well glitches or not, I still think there's something about the mid atlantic ridge still to be discovered original.gif

Time will tell

Cheers
-EA

Yeah, but don't forget the second part of your claim. The Peruvian civilizations predate the Mesoamerican ones.

#868    Otorongo

Otorongo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

Richard Stanbery on Jan 14 2009, 06:48 AM, said:

There is so much itelligence going on here that it is sure to attract the notice of aliens and UFOs as they pss by (as we try to figure out where we come from). Still though, I like the post and have found it interesting. I must say, that I am leaning towards the idea that all of the ancient races might have visited the Americas, but the middle-eastern-phoenician angle seems to be the most plausible, to me. I say that because of the similarities of religion, and the calendar-number systems. Here is an interesting link on some of the similaities. It seems that there is a very odd tie to the phoenician Baal worship that morphed into the Olmec/Maya sacrificial systems. No doubt the phoenicians sent thier shaman with the traders and mariners on thier long voyages.

http://books.google.com/books?id=e8XsiW4V8...0&ct=result

And then there are the writings of Diodorus Siculus to consider. He was a Greek historian who lived around the time of Julius Ceasar.Here is an excerpt of it.

...the land beyond the pillars of heracles...over against africa lies a very great island. in the vast ocean, many days sailing from libya westward. The soil is very fruitfull, a great part wherof is mountainous and watered by several navigatable streams, and beautiful with many gardens of pleasure, planted with trees, an abundance of orchards, and towns adorned with stately buildings...

It looks like he was retelling a known story from someone elses adventure. Still, it bears thought that the Americas were at least known to te ancient mediteranean world in rumors if nothing else. That makes me think that somebody from that part of the world was comming to the Americas...or at least had. My bet was for the phoenicias, as the religeous ties with regards to worship and the venus and sirius stellar cycles, the calendar and human sacrifice, etc..We see similar religeous ties to the druids of Ireland, and that makes me think that the phoenicians were great exporters of thier religion. And those stone heads and fair skinned figures of the glyphs make me think along these lines too. But of course, the chicken thing lends credence to the thought that Polynesians were in contact with South America too.

A lot of mad speculation going on here.  
I have addressed most of the claims done by Afrocentrics here and another video is in the works.
http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsassin
But I will address the scientific claim of the chicken:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...i?artid=2492461

Indo-European and Asian origins for Chilean and Pacific chickens revealed by mtDNA

Abstract
European chickens were introduced into the American continents by the Spanish after their arrival in the 15th century. However, there is ongoing debate as to the presence of pre-Columbian chickens among Amerindians in South America, particularly in relation to Chilean breeds such as the Araucana and Passion Fowl. To understand the origin of these populations, we have generated partial mitochondrial DNA control region sequences from 41 native Chilean specimens and compared them with a previously generated database of ≈1,000 domestic chicken sequences from across the world as well as published Chilean and Polynesian ancient DNA sequences. The modern Chilean sequences cluster closely with haplotypes predominantly distributed among European, Indian subcontinental, and Southeast Asian chickens, consistent with a European genetic origin. A published, apparently pre-Columbian, Chilean specimen and six pre-European Polynesian specimens also cluster with the same European/Indian subcontinental/Southeast Asian sequences, providing no support for a Polynesian introduction of chickens to South America. In contrast, sequences from two archaeological sites on Easter Island group with an uncommon haplogroup from Indonesia, Japan, and China and may represent a genetic signature of an early Polynesian dispersal. Modeling of the potential marine carbon contribution to the Chilean archaeological specimen casts further doubt on claims for pre-Columbian chickens, and definitive proof will require further analyses of ancient DNA sequences and radiocarbon and stable isotope data from archaeological excavations within both Chile and Polynesia.

Discussion
mtDNA Signatures Do Not Support a Polynesian Origin for Pre-Columbian Chicken.
The position of the single Chilean pre-Columbian chicken sequence within the worldwide distributed haplotype 8 removes any genetic support for a Polynesian introduction of this haplotype to South America. This haplotype is likely to have been common in chickens introduced by the Spanish in the 15th century as well as European breeds transported during subsequent colonial era trade.
Five of the six archaeological Easter Island sequences are part of an uncommon, closely related cluster of haplotypes within haplogroup C, which is centered in the Indonesian islands (eastern and western Java, West Sumatra, and Lombok Island) with a few representatives in Japan and the Philippines, but which has not yet been detected elsewhere in Polynesia (4). The ancient Easter Island specimens are clearly pre-European according to both radiocarbon dating and stratigraphy, indicating that this haplotype must form part of the original “Polynesian/Pacific” chicken dispersal, which has potentially been erased across the western Polynesian islands by replacement or introgression by haplotypes 5 and 8 (Fig. 1). Because Easter Island is commonly suggested as the key site to facilitate contact between Polynesian and South American cultures, it is significant that the common Easter Island haplotypes do not appear to have reached South America or have not survived into the modern day if they did so.
This scenario is analogous to the history of domestic pigs in Europe (17) and bottle gourds in the New World (18). In the first study, Neolithic domestic pigs in Europe were shown to be derived from Near Eastern wild boar, but were subsequently replaced by domestic pigs derived from European wild boar (17). In the case of the bottle gourd, although all modern American samples demonstrated a genetic affinity with Africa (19), DNA from ancient samples revealed that the first bottle gourds to enter the Americas did so, not across the Atlantic, but via Asia (18). This shifting temporal pattern indicates that the original lineages of domestic plants and animals introduced into a new area can often be replaced by later introductions of the same domestic species with a different genetic heritage, thus erasing the evidence of the initial dispersal. Depending on the degree to which the legacy of the initial introductions has been erased, studies of modern samples may be capable of detecting only the most recent introduction.
In this context, archaeological sequences from Chile, Hawaii, Niue, Tonga, and American Samoa fall within at least two of the widespread European/Indian subcontinental/Chinese haplogroups, suggesting that at least four haplotypes (Fig. 1, haplotypes 5, 8, 145, and 148) can be considered part of Pacific/Polynesian chicken dispersals. It is possible that these dispersals were not contemporaneous, in which case the European/Indian subcontinental/Chinese haplotypes may have formed a more recent wave of dispersals, overwriting and removing the earlier Indonesian sequences across western Polynesia but failing to do the same in distant Easter Island. However, it is also important to note that standard European/Indian subcontinental/Chinese haplotypes such as 8 would result if either the specimens or laboratory procedures were contaminated with any amount of modern chicken DNA. The contamination of laboratory consumables is a well known problem when working with ancient samples of domestic species (20), which tend to be widespread but not genetically diverse.
Marine Carbon Input and the Presence of Pre-Columbian Chickens.
As a consequence of the phylogenetic analyses, the evidence for pre-Columbian chickens in South America depends on the quality of the radiocarbon dates and calibration of the El Arenal-l specimen (Cal AD 1304–1424) reported in Storey et al. (4). Importantly, this date was not corrected for possible marine carbon offset, presumably because of the high δ13C value (21%) (4). Although it is known that δ13C values for chickens, like other birds, are strongly controlled by diet, the relationship between carbon isotopic fractionation and the metabolic process in chickens is poorly understood (21, 22), masking the potential contributions of marine and terrestrial sources to the isotopic signature of chicken bones (23). As omnivores, chickens consume a wide range of materials available in their local environment, including fish, shellfish, and other marine-derived materials in coastal areas. Marine shell grit, for example, is often ingested by chickens and other birds to assist digestion and provide minerals to the diet (24, 25). In the case of El Arenal-1, consumption of marine foods is especially likely because of the close proximity of the coast (<3 km) and the apparent stratigraphic association of recovered chicken remains with marine shellfish, fish, and marine birds, suggesting the ready availability of materials deriving from marine environments to the chicken diet (26).
On average, the surface ocean reservoir (<200 m) has an apparent 14C age ≈400 years older than the atmospheric reservoir (27). Variation in 14C activity in marine environments, although related to changes in atmospheric activity, depends greatly on local and regional factors, such as rates of mixing of surface waters with upwelled 14C-depleted deep ocean waters, hinterland geology, tidal flushing, and terrestrial water input. Such factors are highly variable and can introduce uncertainties of up to several hundred years into dates obtained on marine samples in some parts of the world. Although accurate measurements for El Arenal-1 are lacking, recent estimates of the marine reservoir effect along the Chilean coast are conservatively estimated at ΔR = 61 ± 50 and the site itself is characterized by large shell middens (A.J.A., unpublished work).
Consequently, if the diet of the El Arenal-1 chicken included a marine carbon contribution of >20%, the calibrated age would be post-Columbian. Examination of a large number of specimens of several species at the site, including studies of δ13C, δ15N, and δ34S, will be necessary to evaluate the contribution of marine carbon to the omnivorous chicken diet (28, 29). It is also worth noting that the radiocarbon-dating laboratory used to date the El Arenal-1 sample has recently been suggested to have overestimated the age of zooarchaeological bones elsewhere in the Pacific (30). The uncertainty of the marine carbon contribution and accuracy of the date indicates that further analyses are needed to definitively identify them as pre-Columbian.
Multiple mtDNA Origins of the Modern Araucana Chicken.
The high percentage of European chickens (>91%) sharing haplotypes with the Indian subcontinent suggests that the latter was the main source for chickens introduced into Europe. As a result, we consider the clustering of the modern Chilean chicken sequences with haplotypes predominant in Europe to indicate the contribution of Spanish introduced chickens. In the light of our analyses, it would be controversial to use the single pre-Columbian sequence (or indeed any haplotype from the European/Indian subcontinental/ Chinese haplogroups) as evidence for a Southeast/eastern Asian or Pacific origin for the Araucana, as claimed by Storey et al. (4).
At present, there is certainly no evidence to support an ancient Asian Pacific route for the introduction of Indian subcontinental/European/Chinese chicken haplotypes into Chile. It is possible that the few Araucana sequences that cluster with haplotypes predominant in southern and eastern China, Indonesia, and Japan could result from a pre-Columbian Asian introduction, but it would appear much more likely to represent modern introgression of Asian mtDNA genes into the South American populations. If ancient Pacific/pre-Columbian chickens were the ancestors of the Araucana, traits such as blue/green-shells, ear-tufts, and/or rumples might be expected to occur in some modern Pacific Island chickens. However, we are unable to find any reports that this is the case.
In conclusion, the archaeological Pacific and Chilean pre-Columbian chicken sequences fall among a widespread European/Indian subcontinental/Chinese haplogroup and provide no support for Polynesian-South American contact. Four haplotypes have been detected in Polynesian archaeological material, but the only unique sequences are those from Easter Island that appear to originate in Island Southeast Asia. None of these Easter Island haplotypes have been detected in either ancient or modern South American breeds. Three major maternal lineages have contributed to the modern Chilean chicken breeds, mainly from the European/Indian subcontinental region but also in low frequency from the South Chinese/Indonesian/Japanese area. In addition, the lack of information about the marine carbon input for the chicken bones from El Arenal-1 leaves the pre-Columbian date uncertain. The identification of diagnostic markers for Asian and Mediterranean traits in combination with mtDNA, female-specific W chromosome and microsatellite markers will be required to resolve the timing and nature of introductions, modern diversity and regional adaptation of local chicken breeds in the Americas and Island South East Asia. Of particular interest will be chickens kept by some indigenous communities in the Amazon forest, the origins of which remain unclear.

#869    Otorongo

Otorongo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:52 PM

Br Cornelius on Oct 26 2008, 10:30 AM, said:

I think the consensus of opinion on this thread is that there was nothing physically impossible about long distance sea travel in far distant times, and that it seems as though the practice was quite common. The only objection been raised against this is that it doesn't fit in with the Clovis migration theory. Since there have been at least a few pieces of evidence discussed in this thread showing such travel outside the Clovis migration, I think this objection is a  mute point. The only really serious question is was this a simple accidental or occassional event or where there long standing established trade routes. I think the fact that there seems to be evidence (via the Cocaine impregnated Egyptian mummies) that there were regular trading arrangements, for me the sky is the limit on this one. Looking at a map recently, it jumped out at me that it was closer from West Africa to south America than from West Africa to South Africa. An accomplished sea trading nation would surely have found this out and exploited it. Low and behold we found big 15ton evidence to support this, in the form of the Olmec heads.
Believe the Clovis migration as the only reasonable explanation for the population of America, but for me that requires us to ignore some very big anomalies, which I am not willing to do.

Br Cornelius

Nothing physically impossible, but nothing easy as well. And if you don't KNOW there is another continent on the other side, not a risk most would take.  the Polynesians seem to have been the biggest risk takers in that aspect, maybe following birds leads or what not.  
The biggest objections are not Clovis. The biggest objections are the lack of common evidence of contact. both garbage, genetics and skeletal evidence.

Some of your claims are addressed at the Hall of Maat:
http://thehallofmaat.com/modules.php?name=Topics

Specifically:
Burying the White Gods
Goodbye Columbus? The Pseudohistory of Who Discovered America
Robbing Native American Cultures: Van Sertima's Afrocentricity and the Olmecs
The Spanish Imposition
The Stoned Age?
Invisible Visitors: Explaining Archaeological Skepticism
Three Basic Principles of Archaeological Research
Definition of Peer-Reviewed Journals: A Rebuttal to the Lunatic Fringe
The Absence of Evidence
Many others, but I recommend you read those at least.

But this is the big monster hyperdiffusionists regularly ignore:

Genetics also has shown us how improbable contact was with cases like that of Malaria. It has been with tropical Africans since the beginning of human time and has spread with them wherever mosquitoes could survive. Yet no evidence of its existence in the Americas before Colonial times. So whomever migrated to the Americas had to have been outside the malaria zone for so many generations that no one had exposure to the mosquitoes, the malaria, and all genetic defenses would have been bred out. Any African American with sickle cell anemia can tell you that those genetic markers do not disappear quick. Not even over a whole millennia. Malaria is thought to have been the greatest selective pressure on the human genome in human history. It has led to populations developing genetic traits that protect from malaria and are passed on generation to generation. Multiple genetic characteristics, but I will only delve into three. The best-studied influence of the malaria parasite upon the human genome is a hereditary blood disease, sickle-cell anemia. The sickle-cell trait causes disease, but even those only partially affected by sickle cell have substantial protection against malaria. Another well-documented set of mutations associated with malaria are those known as thalassaemias. They too, have popped up in areas of malaria, sometimes where sickle cell disease was not prevalent but will follow their descendants who migrate to non malaria areas. It was found that the majority of Afro descent people where Duffy Negative. 68% of African Americans and 88 to100 % of Africans where Duffy negative (including more than 90 % of West Africans). This phenotype is exceedingly rare in Euro decent people and unknown in Native Americans prior to colonial admixture. None of these markers have been found in any human remains of Native Americans dated before colonialism. Malaria along with other world diseases exterminated more than 90% of the population in the Americas indicating a lack of any sort of genetic protection indicating a lack of African, European, or Asian presences for millennia.

A study that explores the lack of Malaria or genetic markers that Malaria would have left is:
Was malaria present in the Amazon before the European conquest? Available evidence and future research agenda, Singer et al, Journal of Archaeological Science 32 (2005) 337–340

#870    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:11 PM

thefinalfrontier on Feb 20 2009, 04:54 PM, said:

I think if we just wait until the entire story unfolds and it gets checked out thouroghly we should not simply dismiss the info. saying its glitches, im staying with the possibility of a sunken city or land mark of some type, Seems to me the ship mapping thing would be very difficult to make such a pattern of this sorts, I think if we just wait and let some investigation go on about it and its completely told its a shipping issue then its the end of it, BUT, If they find something indeed then we will all be exited, Its gonna take plenty of time,

JMHO,

Time will tell it all,

I'm just passing along news that Google put out.

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users