Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Palin's Acceptance Speech @ RNC

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:30 PM

HKCavalier on Sep 4 2008, 06:27 PM, said:

Is this what we're reduced to, though?  Basing our opinion of a speech on how many zingers the speaker fits in and how confidently they get 'em across?  Jeez, if that's all it takes then we should recruit all our political candidates from the ranks of ex-anchors and ex-beauty queens.  Who needs to know anything about the actual problems facing this country?  Giuliani's speech, like all of them last night, was long on snark and short on anything resembling reality.

Bitter? I'll let you cool off.

#17    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

• The first step in any self improvement program is to admit there is room for improvement.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:33 PM

Is this what we're reduced to, though? Basing our opinion of a speech on how many zingers the speaker fits in and how confidently they get 'em across? Jeez, if that's all it takes then we should recruit all our political candidates from the ranks of ex-anchors and ex-beauty queens. Who needs to know anything about the actual problems facing this country? Giuliani's speech, like all of them last night, was long on snark and short on anything resembling reality.

Like Senator Obama's speech was a dose of reality? Looked more like a rock concert.

Edited by twpdyp, 04 September 2008 - 06:33 PM.

As we go through this life reaching, striving, and straining for life's brass ring, has any of us ever stopped to wonder just who is running the Merry-Go-Round?
You must play the hand that life deals you, if you dealt the hand to yourself you must play that hand silently .

#18    HKCavalier

HKCavalier

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:41 PM

twpdyp on Sep 4 2008, 11:33 AM, said:

Like Senator Obama's speech was a dose of reality? Looked more like a rock concert.

You make my point, twpdyp.  Do you really think it's such a good idea to judge the content of his speech by the venue?  And besides, rock concerts are held in stadiums because that's how many folks want to go to them.  What are you bashing here, exactly?  Success?  Popularity?  Crouds of over 80,000?

#19    Mr Honeybadger

Mr Honeybadger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:42 PM

AROCES on Sep 4 2008, 12:44 PM, said:

She can't have her own plans for the economy as a VP, she needs to support and help implement the President's plan.

You're right. I should have phrased my post a little better.  

I would have liked to hear more about what her " Ideas " are for helping boost the economy.

And it's just my own opinion, but I don't much care for mixing religion and politics. And I get the sense that Palin does.
But I suppose many of her supporters would like to see her do just that.  In fact, I know some personally.

#20    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

• The first step in any self improvement program is to admit there is room for improvement.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:49 PM

You make my point, twpdyp. Do you really think it's such a good idea to judge the content of his speech by the venue? And besides, rock concerts are held in stadiums because that's how many folks want to go to them. What are you bashing here, exactly? Success? Popularity? Crouds of over 80,000?

Not judging the content by the venue, judging the ego by the venue. Judged the content by listening to the speech. National health care for example just who will pay for that may I ask. I got an idea let's pay for that by depriving a few Marines of some body armor, my son is a Marine. Or let's tax big business even more so that they spread the cost to the consumers, hey that is us. I receive my pay checks from big business, I have never received a pay check from a middle class or poor person have you. I listened to Senator Obama, passed the lights, glitz and ego. Did you?

As we go through this life reaching, striving, and straining for life's brass ring, has any of us ever stopped to wonder just who is running the Merry-Go-Round?
You must play the hand that life deals you, if you dealt the hand to yourself you must play that hand silently .

#21    Cleomenes

Cleomenes

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

HKCavalier on Sep 4 2008, 01:41 PM, said:

You make my point, twpdyp.  Do you really think it's such a good idea to judge the content of his speech by the venue?  And besides, rock concerts are held in stadiums because that's how many folks want to go to them.  What are you bashing here, exactly?  Success?  Popularity?  Crouds of over 80,000?

Stop pretending that Obama's speech had any more content than Palin's.  They were both low on the substantive content meter.  On the style meter I'd give Obama a perfect 10, and Palin an 8 or 9 (even if you disagree with him, Obama is the best orator in modern times).  However, I'd give them both about a 3 out of 10 on the substance meter.

#22    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

Stop pretending that Obama's speech had any more content than Palin's. They were both low on the substantive content meter. On the style meter I'd give Obama a perfect 10, and Palin an 8 or 9 (even if you disagree with him, Obama is the best orator in modern times). However, I'd give them both about a 3 out of 10 on the substance meter.

Her job as vice president to to support the president. So we can assume that her opinions are the same as Senator McCain's. It is Senator McCain's job to fill in the details. Tonight he will provide the substance you crave. But I have to add Just because Senator Obama is a great speaker does not make him a great leader. My opinion, for what it is worth, President Reagan was the best orator in modern times, possibly the best of all time. He was a leader.

Edited by twpdyp, 04 September 2008 - 07:05 PM.

#23    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,083 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 04 September 2008 - 06:57 PM

twpdyp on Sep 4 2008, 06:23 PM, said:

Loved her speech and love her!!!! Looking forward to hearing Senator John McCain's speech tonight. My vote is already cast. Straight republican ticket every time!!!!

Hey there buddy... Long Time!!

Weren't we here four years ago?  

Here's to it ending up in our favor again!!!!

~Nxt

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#24    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:00 PM

Nxt2Hvn   Posted Today, 02:57 PM

Hey there buddy... Long Time!!

Weren't we here four years ago?

Here's to it ending up in our favor again!!!!

~Nxt

LOL yes we were and fighting the same battle with different opponents. Glad to see I still have some support, thanks my Friend..
twpdyp

#25    pendora

pendora

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

• Life is an Occasion. Rise to it!

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:19 PM

ohio traveler on Sep 4 2008, 02:42 PM, said:

You're right. I should have phrased my post a little better.  

I would have liked to hear more about what her " Ideas " are for helping boost the economy.

And it's just my own opinion, but I don't much care for mixing religion and politics. And I get the sense that Palin does.
But I suppose many of her supporters would like to see her do just that.  In fact, I know some personally.

Mixing politics and religion is what the right thrives on.

~  It amazes me that some people think their skepticism is of any importance to me at all.  ~

#26    Cleomenes

Cleomenes

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 07:20 PM

twpdyp on Sep 4 2008, 01:57 PM, said:

Her job as vice president to to support the president. So we can assume that her opinions are the same as Senator McCain's. It is Senator McCain's job to fill in the details. Tonight he will provide the substance you crave. But I have to add Just because Senator Obama is a great speaker does not make him a great leader. My opinion, for what it is worth, President Reagan was the best orator in modern times, possibly the best of all time. He was a leader.

I hope he does provide more substance, maybe that would force the media to talk about the issues and not present this election as another episode of the Young & The Restless.

I couldn't agree with you more insofar as that great oratory isn't a qualification to be President.  I never meant to sound to the contrary, I was just giving Obama his dues as a speaker.

#27    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

HKCavalier on Sep 4 2008, 01:27 PM, said:

Is this what we're reduced to, though?  Basing our opinion of a speech on how many zingers the speaker fits in and how confidently they get 'em across?  Jeez, if that's all it takes then we should recruit all our political candidates from the ranks of ex-anchors and ex-beauty queens.  Who needs to know anything about the actual problems facing this country?  Giuliani's speech, like all of them last night, was long on snark and short on anything resembling reality.

What do you base your support of BHO upon? What bills has he authored? What feats has he performed in the US Senate?

How many "present" votes did he cast, again?

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

#28    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:35 PM

Incorrigible1 on Sep 4 2008, 09:48 PM, said:

What do you base your support of BHO upon? What bills has he authored? What feats has he performed in the US Senate?

How many "present" votes did he cast, again?

Not much accomplishment really, just a very good speaker. As we all know,  in politics being  a good speaker really is a big asset.
If Obama gets elected I really think it will be a poor administration base on what he has done. He was never a leader really for one thing, he is more of a product that the Democrats decided to use.

#29    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,539 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

What bills has he authored? What feats has he performed in the US Senate?

How, in the age of the internet, can a question like this be asked on the internet? Look it up.

Also, do look up what community organizing is.

#30    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 04 September 2008 - 11:24 PM

Sometimes it isn't so much what you say but how you say it that matters.

Her speech clearly  proved she is a strong communicator, comfortable infront of a crowd, can improv, and knows how to work a room. All very good skills for a leader. thumbsup.gif

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users