Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ron Paul On The Colbert Report

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:17 PM

Startraveler on Sep 6 2008, 04:33 PM, said:

I happened to be at a meeting of non-profits and community organizers in Cleveland the Thursday after she gave that speech. They didn't appreciate a VP candidate looking down her nose at them.

Really?

Tell me:

What are the qualifications to be a community organizer?
Where would I send my resume to apply for such a job?
Is there a college degree program for it?
What licenses and/or certifications does one need to be a community organizer?
Where can I find a list of "best practices" for being a community organizer?
Who does a community organizer report to? Who supervises them?
Who reviews their work and performance as a community organizer?
For that matter, how do you measure the success of a community organizer? Over what period of time?
Can a community organizer be fired or put out of office?
What happens to a community organizer if they run over time or budget on an effort?
How does a community organizer get paid?

That's the difference between a self-appointed person and someone with real experience in life.

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

#17    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,532 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

Replace "community organizer" with "mayor." The answers are the same.

These all have the same answer: the organization that employs the organizer.

For that matter, how do you measure the success of a community organizer? Over what period of time?
What happens to a community organizer if they run over time or budget on an effort?

There are numerous books on how to do a project evaluation. Look one up if you're interested. I'm not a community organizer and have no background in it (though a few friends are planning to do it). Your questions are good and I think there'd be great value for you in pursuing answers. I imagine you'll learn a great deal about faith-based and non-profit initiatives. Good luck.

#18    Teej

Teej

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• "Rock crushes scissors! ...But paper covers rock. And scissors cuts paper! We have a conundrum."

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:17 AM

MasterPo on Sep 6 2008, 05:17 PM, said:

Is there a college degree for "mayor"?

I know of one program that centers around community organizing called DART (Direct Action and Research Training Center).  They came to my university to try and get people to sign up, I believe they work through local churches in order to reach people or something.  Their website answers a lot of your questions (assuming you wanted actual answers and weren't just listing as many questions as you could think of in an attempt to downplay helping your community).  There's also a handy website called "google" if you're interested in other community programs.

"Every time one of our politicians is in trouble, a bomb goes off." - Children of Men

#19    CosmicStaR

CosmicStaR

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

• **Human sickness is so severe that few can bear to look at it, but those who do become well..**

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:40 AM

I love him.. wub.gif

Posted Image

"-*This world is not conclusion; A sequel stands beyond, Invisible as music, But positive, as sound.-*"

“Physical strength is measured by what we can carry, Spiritual by what we can bear..”

#20    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:48 AM

The office of Mayor is an elected office. How does one get in on the office of "community organizer?"

When the heck did "community organizer" become a qualification for President of this land?

Edited by Incorrigible1, 07 September 2008 - 01:49 AM.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

#21    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,532 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:54 AM

This has to be one of the worst strawmen I have ever seen. Doesn't anybody ever tire of intellectual dishonesty? No one has ever claimed that being a community organizer "qualifies" someone to be president. This topic began with disgust at Palin's elitist and dismissive attitude toward those with boots on the ground in hard-hit inner city areas.

#22    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:54 AM

Incorrigible1 on Sep 6 2008, 09:48 PM, said:

The office of Mayor is an elected office. How does one get in on the office of "community organizer?"

Exactly!

With Mayor and Governor your get chosen by the people you want to help. And if you don't do what you promise they get rid of you (elect someone else next time).

In short, the people supervise you, the people review your work, and the people can decide to keep you or fire you.

I don't see any of that for "community organizer".

ps- As for the education, most career politicians have a B.S. in Politcal Science at a minimum which is an obvious logical move.

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

#23    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:04 AM

Startraveler on Sep 7 2008, 02:54 AM, said:

This topic began with disgust at Palin's elitist and dismissive attitude toward those with boots on the ground in hard-hit inner city areas.

Dude, this topic began as a discussion about Stephen Colbert's interview of Ron Paul. Palin wasn't even mentioned in the op... I'd know, I typed it.

#24    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,532 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:07 AM

I was talking about the subject of community organizing (apologies for using the word "topic") .

#25    CosmicStaR

CosmicStaR

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

• **Human sickness is so severe that few can bear to look at it, but those who do become well..**

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:13 AM

LoL--

You guys make me laugh!

Posted Image

"-*This world is not conclusion; A sequel stands beyond, Invisible as music, But positive, as sound.-*"

“Physical strength is measured by what we can carry, Spiritual by what we can bear..”

#26    Teej

Teej

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

• "Rock crushes scissors! ...But paper covers rock. And scissors cuts paper! We have a conundrum."

Posted 07 September 2008 - 05:15 AM

Incorrigible1 on Sep 6 2008, 08:48 PM, said:

When the heck did "community organizer" become a qualification for President of this land?

The irony in this statement is sickening.  When did being a wrestler or an actor become a qualification for being a governor?  And you realize that Obama has more to his name than "community organizer", right?  Or that there's inherent hypocrisy in claiming Obama is elitist and then playing down every event in his life as simply "not qualified for president"?  There's absolutely no winning with you guys, is there.

MasterPo on Sep 6 2008, 08:54 PM, said:

With Mayor and Governor your get chosen by the people you want to help. And if you don't do what you promise they get rid of you (elect someone else next time).

In short, the people supervise you, the people review your work, and the people can decide to keep you or fire you.

I don't see any of that for "community organizer".

ps- As for the education, most career politicians have a B.S. in Politcal Science at a minimum which is an obvious logical move.

If you had clicked on the link I provided, you would know that community organizing programs monitor how well the person does at their job, which inherently includes how well the community responds to your programs.  To make it simple for you, here's a direct link to the DART training program:  DART training .  Seriously, read before you act like you know something.

By the way, plenty of career politicians have a B.S. in other areas.  Good ol' Bush got his in history.  Interestingly, in what area did Obama get his B.S.?  Political science.

"Every time one of our politicians is in trouble, a bomb goes off." - Children of Men

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users