Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Oprah will not have Sarah Palin on the show

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#91    Lilix_Vixen

Lilix_Vixen

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:20 PM

Incorrigible1 on Sep 9 2008, 02:33 PM, said:

Ann Kilkenny states, "While Sarah was Mayor of Wasilla she tried to fire our highly respected City Librarian because the Librarian refused to consider removing from the library some books that Sarah wanted removed." (From your link.)

Yet the link I supplied states,
"According to the Anchorage Daily News, around the time Sarah Palin first assumed the mayorship of Wasilla back in 1996, she initiated some speculative discussions with the city's librarian about the possibility of removing some "objectionable" books from the public library:
In December 1996, [city librarian Mary Ellen] Emmons told her hometown newspaper, the Frontiersman, that Palin three times asked her — starting before she was sworn in — about possibly removing objectionable books from the library if the need arose.

When the matter came up for the second time in October 1996, during a City Council meeting, Anne Kilkenny, a Wasilla housewife who often attends council meetings, was there.

Like many Alaskans, Kilkenny calls the governor by her first name.

"Sarah said to Mary Ellen, 'What would your response be if I asked you to remove some books from the collection?" Kilkenny said.

"I was shocked. Mary Ellen sat up straight and said something along the line of, 'The books in the Wasilla Library collection were selected on the basis of national selection criteria for libraries of this size, and I would absolutely resist all efforts to ban books.'"

Palin didn't mention specific books at that meeting, Kilkenny said.

Palin herself, questioned at the time, called her inquiries rhetorical and simply part of a policy discussion with a department head "about understanding and following administration agendas," according to the Frontiersman article.
According to that same article, no evidence has been uncovered that any books were actually censored or removed from Wasilla's library as a result of these discussions:
Were any books censored [or] banned? June Pinell-Stephens, chairwoman of the Alaska Library Association's Intellectual Freedom Committee since 1984, checked her files and came up empty-handed.

Pinell-Stephens also had no record of any phone conversations with Emmons about the issue back then. Emmons was president of the Alaska Library Association at the time.
Given that, as yet, there is no documentation of any books having been banished from the Wasilla library by Mayor Palin, or even of which books she may have had in mind when she broached the subject, whence comes the considerable register of tomes now being circulated as "the list of books Palin tried to have banned"? The purging of the selections enumerated here from a public library would surely outrage any educator or book lover, with the listing including classics of literature by authors from William Shakespeare to William Faulkner, works by popular contemporary writers such as Stephen King and J.K. Rowling, and even such seemingly bland reference works as Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary."

Jessesgirl, I also notice you've edited your original posting to remove the list of supposedly banned books. That's very good, because that supposed list was never a part of Kilkenny's letter. Good show, and I appreciate your editing in the name of accuracy!  thumbsup.gif

Sorry honeypie, that is not the edit I made. That's it, all of what I copy and pasted. So where I got the letter from may have edited it. Sorry to pop your little bubble. But the letter is the just the way I got it. And please don't use all caps it's slightly rude. grin2.gif  
Anyway I believe that I already stated that I was just posting something interesting, not anything to "smear" Sarah Palin. So why are you trying to make it seem like I am deliberately editing out parts of the letter. Instead of assuming maybe you should ask. Because you do know what happens when you assume?

“If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts.”

Albert Einstein

#92    Lilix_Vixen

Lilix_Vixen

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:28 PM

I am adding this instead of editing my last post to include it. So certain people won't accuse me of trying to lie and cover my butt.
Here is where I got the letter from. The Pres. candidate website.

Oh no!!! Incorrigible1 I was telling the truth. So can I expect an apology???

Albert Einstein

#93    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

It looks like all the liberals/dems are dying to find dirt on Palin and McCain... !!!

That's not a fair statement at all. I'm a liberal and I've been sticking up for Palin. I like her so much, in fact, I'm not so sure who I'm voting for anymore. The reason for this is because I despise Joe Biden. I like Obama. I think McCain is O.K. And I am nuts about Sarah Palin.

So I dunno who to vote for now.

I'm a big liberal, on all issues but abortion. I like Obama 'cause he is young, different, et cetera... I think John McCain is O.K. because I remember when he went against all his Republican buddies and stood up for what he thought was right. Joe Biden I despise because he is a plagariast, not once, but twice. He just comes off as a fake, especially when he's up on stage. Sarah Palin is hilarious, smart, adamantly against abortion (like me), worked her way up from nothing to something, and it pisses me off how many people are going after her family.

If Palin was Obama's running mate, my decision would be simple. Now - not so much.

dontgetit.gif dontgetit.gif dontgetit.gif dontgetit.gif

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#94    Cleomenes

Cleomenes

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

IrishAidan on Sep 9 2008, 06:19 PM, said:

That's not a fair statement at all. I'm a liberal and I've been sticking up for Palin. I like her so much, in fact, I'm not so sure who I'm voting for anymore. The reason for this is because I despise Joe Biden. I like Obama. I think McCain is O.K. And I am nuts about Sarah Palin.

I agree.  Although I find Biden pretty amusing at times, he is the very definiiton of a windbag.

I also feel, probably unlike you, that in choosing Biden, Obama chose the only available partner with an ego to match his own.

#95    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

jessesgirl778 on Sep 9 2008, 05:28 PM, said:

I am adding this instead of editing my last post to include it. So certain people won't accuse me of trying to lie and cover my butt.
Here is where I got the letter from. The Pres. candidate website.

Oh no!!! Incorrigible1 I was telling the truth. So can I expect an apology???

Anne Kilkenny claims to be a Democrat and how do you know that she wrote it. and if she was that bad how would she get an 80% aproval rating?

#96    Lilix_Vixen

Lilix_Vixen

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:02 PM

Caesar on Sep 10 2008, 02:24 AM, said:

Anne Kilkenny claims to be a Democrat and how do you know that she wrote it. and if she was that bad how would she get an 80% aproval rating?

I know she wrote it because I checked it on Snopes. There is a link to Snopes on my last post. And as for her having an 80% rating, the only explanation I could think of is brain-freeze. J/K

Edited by jessesgirl778, 10 September 2008 - 11:05 PM.

Albert Einstein

#97    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:41 AM

jessesgirl778 on Sep 10 2008, 07:02 PM, said:

I know she wrote it because I checked it on Snopes. There is a link to Snopes on my last post. And as for her having an 80% rating, the only explanation I could think of is brain-freeze. J/K

Yeah I looked into it also but was to tired to reply. your right it is her that wrote that letter. she is a Democrate, I noticed she lied about the Wasilla Library collection. I think she's angry over her because she cleaned out alot of the old boys club that I think she was part of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users