Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama says he was too flip on abortion issue

__Kratos__

WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama acknowledged Sunday that he was probably too flip when he said it was "above my pay grade" to answer a question about when is a baby entitled to human rights.

Obama gave his answer last month at a nationally televised religious forum sponsored by minister Rick Warren at his megachurch in Orange County, Calif.

Asked on Sunday whether the "above my pay grade" answer was too flip, Obama said: "Probably. ...What I intended to say is that, as a Christian, I have a lot of humility about understanding when does the soul enter into ... It's a pretty tough question.

"And so, all I meant to communicate was that I don't presume to be able to answer these kinds of theological questions," he said in an interview broadcast Sunday on ABC's "This Week."

In a separate interview, the answer to a similar question came easier for Obama's running mate, Sen. Joe Biden.

A Roman Catholic, Biden said he accepts his church's teachings that life begins at conception, but that the issue is personal for him. He said it wouldn't be right to impose his views on others who are just as religious as he is.

More of the article here: Link

-------------------------------------------------

I could be wrong here but wasn't he voted in to hit on those issues already?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• __Kratos__

• Guardsman Bass

• Startraveler

• MasterPo

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't expect you of all people to argue we elect politicians to answer questions like "when does a fetus get a soul?"

Frankly, the entire Pelosi-bishop(s) feud bothers me. As does this question repeatedly being asked on the Sunday talk shows. Politicians are elected to answer social questions, not religious ones. Biden gave the best answer on it this morning: "I believe x but my job isn't simply to legislate my religious beliefs" (paraphrased). The issue becomes one of privacy, not souls.

Edited by Startraveler

I wouldn't expect you of all people to argue we elect politicians to answer questions like "when does a fetus get a soul?"

I'd expect him to respect separation of church and state as an elected official that is supposedly going to follow the founding of this country. Not pander around the question. The dems are getting more and more religious by the day.

No more than wanting a VP candidate to take a DNA test to confirm the paternity of her son. ;)

Frankly, the entire Pelosi-bishop(s) feud bothers me. As does this question repeatedly being asked on the Sunday talk shows. Politicians are elected to answer social questions, not religious ones. Biden gave the best answer on it this morning: "I believe x but my job isn't simply to legislate my religious beliefs" (paraphrased). The issue becomes one of privacy, not souls.

They need to phrase it better, though. Saying "I believe that life begins at conception, but since most people think it doesn't, or think abortion should be legal, I'm with them" makes you sound like a panderer as well as indecisive, as stupid as it may be. The mouth-breathers will interpret it as you waffling to try to appeal to everyone.

It would have been far better if Biden has said, "I have my own beliefs about abortion, but they don't matter; what matters is that I am a servant of the American people, and so I will carry out their will and what needs to be done for the good of America". Keep doing that kind of in-your-face stonewalling, and eventually the question will stopped getting asked. Until then, they need to practice this answer; pretty much every Democratic candidate seems to be asked this question.