Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Her deadly wolf program

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:37 AM

Sept. 8, 2008 | Wildlife activists thought they had seen the worst in 2003 when Frank Murkowski, then the Republican governor of Alaska, signed a bill ramping up state programs to gun down wild wolves from airplanes, inviting average citizens to participate. Wolves, Murkowski believed, were clearly better than humans at killing elk and moose, and humans needed to even the playing field.

But that was before Sarah Palin took Murkowski's job at the end of 2006. She went one step, or paw, further. Palin didn't think Alaskans should be allowed to chase wolves from aircraft and shoot them -- they should be encouraged to do so. Palin's administration put a bounty on wolves' heads, or to be more precise, on their mitts.

In early 2007, Palin's administration approved an initiative to pay a $150 bounty to hunters who killed a wolf from an airplane in certain areas, hacked off the left foreleg, and brought in the appendage. Ruling that the Palin administration didn't have the authority to offer payments, a state judge quickly put a halt to them but not to the shooting of wolves from aircraft.

Detractors consider the airborne shootings a savage business, conducted under the euphemism "predator control." The airplanes appear in the winter, so the wolves show up like targets in a video game, sprinting across the white canvas below. Critics believe the practice violates the ethics of hunting, while supporters say the process is not hunting at all, but a deliberate cull.

Palin has argued that she is worried about Alaska's hunters, locked in perennial competition with the canine carnivores for the state's prodigious ungulate population. A hunter herself, Palin has battled critics of aerial wolf hunting with the support of the Alaska Outdoor Council, a powerhouse advocacy and lobbying organization for hunting, fishing and recreation groups. In addition to so-called urban hunters, who shoot moose mostly for fun, Alaska is home to a significant number of subsistence hunters, including some of the Native population. Subsistence hunters rely on an occasional moose to make ends meet. The wolves, Palin has said, are stealing food from their tables.

"Palin acts like she has never met an animal she didn't want shot," says Priscilla Feral, president of Friends of Animals, based in Connecticut.

The controversy over Palin's promotion of predator control goes beyond animal rights activists recoiling at the thought of picking off wolves from airplanes. A raft of scientists has argued that Palin has provided little evidence that the current program of systematically killing wolves, estimated at a population of 7,000 to 11,000, will result in more moose for hunters. State estimates of moose populations have come under scrutiny. Some wildlife biologists say predator control advocates don't even understand what wolves eat.

More of the article here: Link

----------------------------------------------
Pretty brutal and utterly pointless slaughter. no.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#2    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:43 AM

-.-

Yeah...  this is just one of the many things I'm not to fond of Palin for.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#3    InHuman

InHuman

Alien Abducter

• 4,492 posts

• Running on Bravado.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:50 AM

If Palin and the other hunters must kill for FOOD (which I HIGHLY doubt) then I understand their worries.

But mabey its not that theres too many wolves, but too many people...

There Will Be Brawl
Greatest Webseries Ever

If you carry out a policy that dehumanizes others, in the process you yourself are dehumanized.-Desmond Tutu

#4    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 08 September 2008 - 01:56 AM

InHuman on Sep 7 2008, 09:50 PM, said:

If Palin and the other hunters must kill for FOOD (which I HIGHLY doubt) then I understand their worries.

Where do you think the meat in that Mig Mac you had for lunch came from?

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

#5    InHuman

InHuman

Alien Abducter

• 4,492 posts

• Running on Bravado.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:02 AM

MasterPo on Sep 7 2008, 06:56 PM, said:

It's made of wild caribou?

There Will Be Brawl
Greatest Webseries Ever

If you carry out a policy that dehumanizes others, in the process you yourself are dehumanized.-Desmond Tutu

#6    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:09 AM

MasterPo on Sep 8 2008, 01:56 AM, said:

I had chocolate ice cream for lunch.

However, there is a huge difference between this comparison you're making.   They get their "big mack meat" from the same places every McDonalds do.  Raised cattle down in the lower 48.  Not wild deer/carribu up in Alaska.  There's no reason to slaughter wolves just because they hunt animals that is their *main* food source.  It's not like the wolves can go to the local super market like humans...

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and

#7    InHuman

InHuman

Alien Abducter

• 4,492 posts

• Running on Bravado.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:11 AM

SilverCougar on Sep 7 2008, 07:09 PM, said:

I had chocolate ice cream for lunch.

However, there is a huge difference between this comparison you're making.   They get their "big mack meat" from the same places every McDonalds do.  Raised cattle down in the lower 48.  Not wild deer/carribu up in Alaska.  There's no reason to slaughter wolves just because they hunt animals that is their *main* food source.  It's not like the wolves can go to the local super market like humans...

Hmmm.... lets release some cow herds into alaska... that might solve the problem....

then if that dosn't work, mabey some new wooly pig species... I'm sure the wolves will give up the caribou for bacon....

There Will Be Brawl
Greatest Webseries Ever

#8    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:19 AM

I've had caribou. It was yummy! thumbsup.gif

#9    Vampwitchenstein

Vampwitchenstein

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:32 AM

InHuman on Sep 7 2008, 07:50 PM, said:

But mabey its not that theres too many wolves, but too many people...

I am in complete agreement with this.

As for the article in the original post; What a vile Woman. I know that sounds harsh, but those are my feelings. Didn't like her from the instant I saw her, the the sound of her spine wounding voice sealed the deal, along with those wry smirks.
I am not against hunting by any means if people are responsible and law abiding and don't waste their kill. I live close to area's that have Cougars and we occasionally have encounters with them and Elk, Moose, Coyotes and Bears, in fact, a heard of deer live & roam in this part of town, literally a mile from our mall, freeway and main shopping area of town. I personally love venison, I fish, but I have never hunted, but I would to fill my freezer.
But Wolves. Wow. Just like the Cougar up here, we are encroaching on their homes/territory and diminishing their hunting grounds, not the other way around.

FACEBOOK!
Posted Image
"I can only conclude it's something mental." ~Dr. Jack Seward/Bram Stokers Dracula

#10    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 02:59 AM

InHuman on Sep 8 2008, 03:11 AM, said:

Hmmm.... lets release some cow herds into alaska... that might solve the problem....

then if that dosn't work, mabey some new wooly pig species... I'm sure the wolves will give up the caribou for bacon....

Actually.. there was a report just out (I'll have to look it up) that showed that during the fall months, wolves loved to nom on salmon more then deer and carribu since salmon has a greater fat content and such.  They'll go after deer and carribu when Salmon season is over.

#11    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:00 AM

"Can I get me a hunt'n liecense here?" - John Kerry, 10/18/04 in Ohio grin2.gif

#12    InHuman

InHuman

Alien Abducter

• 4,492 posts

• Running on Bravado.

Posted 08 September 2008 - 03:59 AM

MasterPo on Sep 7 2008, 08:00 PM, said:

"Can I get me a hunt'n liecense here?" - John Kerry, 10/18/04 in Ohio grin2.gif

huh?  huh.gif

There Will Be Brawl
Greatest Webseries Ever

#13    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:04 AM

InHuman on Sep 7 2008, 11:59 PM, said:

huh?  huh.gif

How quickly we forget.

http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2309

#14    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:18 AM

What.. does this have to do with putting a bounty on wolve's head for idiotic reasons?

#15    Plainbob13

Plainbob13

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:24 AM

They have bounties on coyote's in La.,Ms, and other states. Not that big of a deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users