Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

London Underground Subterraneans

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:39 PM

This may be a story that has been covered previously, but here goes anyway...

There are legends that beneath the city streets of London, in the far and quiet reaches of the London Underground's vast labyrinthine network of tunnels, a race of sub-humans lived. Stories tell of a few people opting to live down there in the dank & dark spaces (much like Gollum) from the late nineteenth century, growing in number until a little nation existed. Other stories tell of them starting to grow longer hair on their bodies (presumably for warmth) and stooping over (presumably from the small spaces they inhabit and poor nutrition). Some tales say that they died out in the twentieth century due to some kind of disease or infection that spread amongst them.

A film was made in the seventies that touched upon this story - starring Donald Pleasance - called "Raw Meat" or "Death Line". Sounds like it has a ring of "Mimic" to it, but with humans rather than bugs.

Possible? Or just a myth?

geek.gif

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#2    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:10 PM

Sounds a lot like "The Borribles". Great book if you can get your hands on it.

#3    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 09 September 2008 - 03:22 PM

I think it is probably based on myths around people trying to escape the Plague in the 1600's by going underground?

Posted Image

#4    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 09 September 2008 - 04:42 PM

I'm not sure how someone is going to live in a subway system and not get noticed. It is rather cramped, if you've ever ridden the Underground.

#5    HAJiME

HAJiME

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:26 PM

I've never heard this before.

Ever.

And thsi is idiocy. If it wasn't obvious.

#6    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 7,963 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 07:34 PM

Yeah you can get the old towns underground anywhere.
Edinbrugh, chichester, bath and bristol.

#7    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:47 PM

XSAS on Sep 9 2008, 04:22 PM, said:

I think it is probably based on myths around people trying to escape the Plague in the 1600's by going underground?

I think the tunnels were not around in the 1600s.

Re the 'idiocy' comment, yes there may be aspects that are a bit fantastic, but just the premise of people living underground is in itself not entirely impossible.
Troglodytes come to mind.

geek.gif

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#8    HAJiME

HAJiME

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:58 PM

People living underground is not stupid.

People living in The Underground is stupid.

#9    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:30 PM

HAJiME on Sep 9 2008, 09:58 PM, said:

People living underground is not stupid.

People living in The Underground is stupid.

Good point.

I do like the mice that live in The Underground.

#10    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 30,259 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:59 AM

Wasn't the medieval drainage system replaced in the 1850's with the extensive system still in use today? I think they are fairly regularly checked as it constantly upgraded to deal with population growth. I am pretty sure one of the original ideas rejected in the 1800's of putting a tunnel or pipeline underneath the Thames is being seriously considered. What a massive project that would be huh.
I think all the problems they have had with the system over the many centuries has kept it fairly well documented. The entire system floods often so I can't see it being likely. At least the odd body would wash out or get caught at the Abbey Mills plant?

Edited by psyche101, 10 September 2008 - 06:00 AM.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

#11    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:50 AM

Loonboy on Sep 9 2008, 09:47 PM, said:

I think the tunnels were not around in the 1600s.

Re the 'idiocy' comment, yes there may be aspects that are a bit fantastic, but just the premise of people living underground is in itself not entirely impossible.
Troglodytes come to mind.

geek.gif

I didn't say the tunnels were around in the 1600's, I mentioned stories or myths about people living underground to escape the plague? I don't think theye even had drainage in the 1600's, everything was descarded into the streets or the Thames.

Posted Image

#12    MoorWalks

MoorWalks

• 6,293 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:52 AM

Ebonykrow on Sep 9 2008, 05:42 PM, said:

I'm not sure how someone is going to live in a subway system and not get noticed. It is rather cramped, if you've ever ridden the Underground.

I don't think the OP is talking about the underground subway system (although there are approximately around 30/40 abandoned stations) that are no longer used? There are rumours the Royal family even have there own underground subway system?

I think the OP is talking about subteranian tunnels/Becks/drainange/sewage tunnels that many large European cities have.

Posted Image

#13    Saard

Saard

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 173 posts

• Woof Woof, I say unto thee, Woof.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:53 AM

Loonboy on Sep 9 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

There are legends that beneath the city streets of London, in the far and quiet reaches of the London Underground's vast labyrinthine network of tunnels, a race of sub-humans lived. Stories tell of a few people opting to live down there in the dank & dark spaces (much like Gollum) from the late nineteenth century, growing in number until a little nation existed. Other stories tell of them starting to grow longer hair on their bodies (presumably for warmth) and stooping over (presumably from the small spaces they inhabit and poor nutrition). Some tales say that they died out in the twentieth century due to some kind of disease or infection that spread amongst them.

A film was made in the seventies that touched upon this story - starring Donald Pleasance - called "Raw Meat" or "Death Line". Sounds like it has a ring of "Mimic" to it, but with humans rather than bugs.

geek.gif

There have always been stories about what's under London; tales about the secret tunnels, disused bases and forgotten catacombs.
There's also the idea that London has been around so long that what it's built on is actually London, that there is a bewildering maze of old cellars and foundations built over, lost and locked away to all but someone who might come up from below...

This is a good link: http://www.fictionalcities.co.uk/tunnels.htm

There probably is a lot of stuff under there, there's probably a few homeless people living in abandoned tunnels maybe even the occasional person staying a bit more permanently. Subterranean races and stooped and hairy sewer dwellars however do sound a bit too imaginative to be real.

Edited by Saard, 10 September 2008 - 10:59 AM.

#14    1.618

Poltergeist

• 2,543 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

The town in which i live has subbteranean tunnels dating back to the middle ages. Only a couple of years ago one of the roads had to be closed near the main bus station due to the volume of traffic causing the road to sink into an underground chamber.

#15    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,425 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:27 AM

Loonboy on Sep 9 2008, 02:39 PM, said:

geek.gif

I've lived in London my entire life, know quite a lot about its history and I've never heard this before.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users