Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

GOP Womens Group boycotts Oprah

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:04 PM

GOP Women’s Group Boycotts ‘Oprah’ For Refusing to Book Palin

The Florida Federation of Republican Women has launched a boycott against Oprah Winfrey’s TV show and magazine because the talk queen has said she will not have Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin on her show until after the election.

Democrat Barack Obama — whom Winfrey is supporting for president — was on “Oprah” twice before he announced his run for president, in January 2005 and in October 2006. Winfrey has said she will have neither party’s candidates on her show while they are running for their respective offices.

But the 58-year-old federation, which has 4,500 members, says Winfrey should have Palin on her show now, given how important the Alaska governor’s run is for women.

“She is an icon, and set her herself up to be such a women’s rights and women’s issues person. To have the first vice president of our lifetime on the Republican ticket being a woman and to sit it out regardless of what her personal political beliefs were was disingenuous, we felt,” the group’s First Vice President Cindy Graves told “FOX & Friends” on Wednesday morning.

Graves, 50, says she used to watch “Oprah” and occasionally bought her magazine. She told FOXNews.com that the group has been joined by women all over the country since launching the boycott last Saturday.

“People from Southern California, Tennessee, Texas, Colorado, Rhode Island, just about every state in the union. We’ve also had a tremendous response from Democrats and Independents who are supporting McCain, and Hillary supporters,” she said.

Asked whether the boycott is affecting Oprah’s TV ratings and magazine subscriptions, Graves said Winfrey is “keeping that quiet.”

A call to Oprah’s company, Harpo Productions, for comment was not immediately returned.

Winfrey reacted strongly on Friday to a report posted on the Drudge Report that she and “a couple of her top people are adamantly” against booking Palin on her show.

“The item in today’s Drudge Report is categorically untrue,” Winfrey said in a statement sent to news organizations in reaction to the Drudge Report’s posting. “There has been absolutely no discussion about having Sarah Palin on my show. At the beginning of this presidential campaign when I decided that I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a platform for any of the candidates. I agree that Sarah Palin would be a fantastic interview, and I would love to have her on after the campaign is over.”

Before Obama became a candidate, Winfrey used her show to introduce him to America’s women voters, and she has endorsed and campaigned with the Democratic nominee. She also was very visible at Obama’s nomination acceptance speech in Denver last month.

Winfrey and her executive producer, Sheri Salata, both donated the maximum $2,300 contribution to Obama’s campaign during the primary season.

According to the Drudge Report, Winfrey’s staff is sharply divided on booking Palin.

“Half of her staff really wants Sarah Palin on,” an unidentified source told Drudge. “Oprah’s Web site is getting tons of requests to put her on, but Oprah and a couple of her top people are adamantly against it because of Obama.”

SOURCE / Link

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#2    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:22 PM

I will laugh if Opra caves to this.  Though I find it funny already that people are boycotting her.  It's Opra.. who cares?

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#3    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:28 PM

I find it very "egotistical" of Oprah to think she has that much influence on people just because "she" endorses Obama.  And the GOP Women's Group is only giving her the power by boycotting her.... like she is that important.  

Now this I think is silly of the GOP!  Immature even!

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#4    pendora

pendora

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

• Life is an Occasion. Rise to it!

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:31 PM

That's awesome!

The gop women have every right to make their opnions known, by boycott or rally or protest...whatever the means.

Oprah exercised her rights by not inviting Palin.

(and I LOVE how this is still about a mere vp candidate.  If she's to be equal, it would be mccain she'd have on....talk about off focus...gees...)

~  It amazes me that some people think their skepticism is of any importance to me at all.  ~

#5    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:34 PM

(and I LOVE how this is still about a mere vp candidate.  If she's to be equal, it would be mccain she'd have on....talk about off focus...gees...)

Exactly .... Palin has Obama scared!!! LOL

#6    pendora

pendora

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

Nxt2Hvn on Sep 10 2008, 01:34 PM, said:

Exactly .... Palin has Obama scared!!! LOL

Yeah...that's it.

ROFL!

~  It amazes me that some people think their skepticism is of any importance to me at all.  ~

#7    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:49 PM

pendora on Sep 10 2008, 05:46 PM, said:

Yeah...that's it.

ROFL!

Why else would Oprah be against her being on her show?  Doesn't want to give Palin anymore attention than she is getting... which the way it's going .. she doesn't need Oprah or anybody else!  

#8    pendora

pendora

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:51 PM

Nxt2Hvn on Sep 10 2008, 01:49 PM, said:

Why else would Oprah be against her being on her show?  Doesn't want to give Palin anymore attention than she is getting... which the way it's going .. she doesn't need Oprah or anybody else!

Dear, one more time.  It's her show.  Obama is her friend.

Get it yet?

#9    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:08 PM

pendora on Sep 10 2008, 05:51 PM, said:

Dear, one more time.  It's her show.  Obama is her friend.

Get it yet?

Never said it wasn't her show and he's her friend ... whooptee!!  I still have my opinions .. as I am sure you do!   thumbsup.gif  Sorry if mine heat you up!

Oh... and I am not your dear... don't even know you!  wink2.gif

#10    pendora

pendora

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

I'm not "heated up" about anything on this board hon.

I'm amazed at how upset the right are getting in these threads about the candidates.

As I've said before, this election is probably one of the most entertaining in years.

grin2.gif

#11    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 06:25 PM

pendora on Sep 10 2008, 06:20 PM, said:

I'm not "heated up" about anything on this board hon.

I'm amazed at how upset the right are getting in these threads about the candidates.

As I've said before, this election is probably one of the most entertaining in years.

grin2.gif

Now I'm Hon??  LOL!!! Too cute!  

And you haven't seen me upset one little bit!  And yes I agree... very entertaining!!!  

Can't wait for the next thread!

#12    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:03 PM

yer both freakin adorable.

Edited by SilverCougar, 10 September 2008 - 07:04 PM.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and

#13    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:10 PM

SilverCougar on Sep 10 2008, 07:03 PM, said:

yer both freakin adorable.

Thanks ... (dare I say it?) ...  Hon!  tongue.gif

Edited by Nxt2Hvn, 10 September 2008 - 07:10 PM.

#14    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:14 PM

Nxt2Hvn on Sep 10 2008, 08:10 PM, said:

Thanks ... (dare I say it?) ...  Hon!  tongue.gif

*snerks*

No problem dear! =P

#15    Mr Honeybadger

Mr Honeybadger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 07:30 PM

It's her show. She should be able to have on whoever she wants.  The whole world knows that she's endorsed Obama so she should just come right out and say that she doesn't want Palin on because she doesn't want to help the McCain / Palin ticket.

Plus, I oppose the Fairness Doctrine. And this issue leans in that direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users