Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Did McCain Diss Spain?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:21 PM

SilverCougar on Sep 18 2008, 05:16 PM, said:

Because being a community organiser and working with a community to better it is such a *horrible* thing.. since apparently being president means you don't have to worry about organising a community and making it..better...oh wait.. it does!

When it gets to the Federal level, then no way it is a community anymore or a village as Hillary tried unsucessfully to promote.

Part of the job also requires you to make relations work with other communities and at least knowing the names of those that lead them.   If you don't even know the name of the guy who runs the country you were just asked about..  and a country that's one of our allies..

Do you think all the past President actually knows all the world leaders by names?

#17    Gustavo

Gustavo

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:22 PM

stevewinn on Sep 18 2008, 11:25 AM, said:

am not surprised McCain is confused, i was listening to BBC world on the Radio and i was shocked to learn that 90% of Americans dont hold a passport, and Palin has just had to apply for one because shes never held a passport in her life? then the BBC presenter stated the majority of Americans when questioned couldnt even name the British prime minister, or identify countries on the world map, so if this is true, Mc'Cain and palin seem to represent the majority of US citizens,

myself personally i refuse to believe the above is true, but its what the BBC say, so,...........

Ya know, I would say that there are probably alot of Europeans that havent been to North America, yet have a passport. Could it be because the countries are so small over there that you need one for a Sunday drive? j/k but thats about it. Until very recently, in fact I think it may still be so, we here in the US could go to Mexico or Canada without a passport so on an average Americans vacation, you could go to the tropics like Hawaii or Mexico or the far north like Canada or Alaska.. no passport needed.

I dont think McCain is confused, he probably actually meant that. If Spain pulled out of the coalition, they arent exactly being friendly given they are supposed to be our ally. They should be after AlQueda and all terror after what they went through but aparently they would rather sit it out. Its silly to just assume McCain didnt know who he was talking about.

Edited by Gustavo, 18 September 2008 - 10:25 PM.

#18    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:23 PM

AlexG on Sep 18 2008, 05:21 PM, said:

Perhaps you should tell the Bush administration that.  They don't seem to agree.

And Bush III isn't going to be any different.

It is wrong for you to assume that allies will always agree on every issues and if not they are no longer good friends.

Edited by AROCES, 19 September 2008 - 03:38 AM.

#19    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:25 PM

Fluffybunny on Sep 18 2008, 07:48 PM, said:

Who is this "you folks" that you keep referring to?

Them, and they know who they are.
Are you one of them? Only you can answer that.

#20    Splodgenessabounds

Splodgenessabounds

The Artful Splodger

• 2,226 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

SilverCougar on Sep 18 2008, 08:36 PM, said:

AND! To be fair to those who don't know the British PM.. They have an odd habbit of changeing that alot.  Just got used to Blair.. then it's Gordon Brown!  (easy name to remember actually.. I like that!)

Change a lot?  Since 1970 the UK has had 7 PMs.

Edward Heath         '70-'74
Harold Wilson         '74-'76
James Callaghan    '76-'79
Margaret Thatcher  '79-'90
John Major             '90-'97
Tony Blair and        '97-'07
Gorden Brown        '07-Hopefully anytime soon

Since 1970 the USA has had 7 Presidents

Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
Bush Snr.
Clinton
Bush Jnr.

Your Presidents change just as much as our PMs and Margeret Thatcher, during her time at No. 10 dealt with 3 different Presidents

"It doesn't matter if it is a black cat or a white cat.  As long as it can catch mice, it's a good cat."
Deng Xiaoping

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
Walter Sobchak - The Big Lebowski

#21    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,877 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:52 PM

Majikthise on Sep 18 2008, 10:43 PM, said:

Change a lot?  Since 1970 the UK has had 7 PMs.

Edward Heath         '70-'74
Harold Wilson         '74-'76
James Callaghan    '76-'79
Margaret Thatcher  '79-'90
John Major             '90-'97
Tony Blair and        '97-'07
Gorden Brown        '07-Hopefully anytime soon

Since 1970 the USA has had 7 Presidents

Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
Bush Snr.
Clinton
Bush Jnr.

Your Presidents change just as much as our PMs and Margeret Thatcher, during her time at No. 10 dealt with 3 different Presidents

Just be impressed I knew the guy's name without looking him up! XD   It just seemed like one got into the office then whoosh, he's out.  =\ Guess time really does fly unnoticed alot. >.<

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#22    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,877 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:56 PM

AROCES on Sep 18 2008, 10:21 PM, said:

When it gets to the Federal level, then no way it is a community anymore or a village as Hillary tried unsucessfully to promote.

However it gives the person a good sence of the needs of people.  

Do you think all the past President actually knows all the world leaders by names?

Which just goes to show a piece of our foriegn problems.  We wxpect the world to know out leader.. but we can't expect our leader to *ATLEAST* know the names and countries of our allies.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and

#23    Splodgenessabounds

Splodgenessabounds

The Artful Splodger

• 2,226 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:10 PM

SilverCougar on Sep 18 2008, 11:52 PM, said:

Just be impressed I knew the guy's name without looking him up!

If all i have to do is be impressed.  Then I'll do it.

P.S.  Since 20th century Britain has had 27 PM's.  USA - 19

So between 1900-2008 the UK changed it's leader every 4 years on average whilst America changed it's leader every 5.69 years.  Americans give their Presidents just a little bit longer before deciding they're incompetent.  We British have a lower threshold. wink2.gif

"It doesn't matter if it is a black cat or a white cat.  As long as it can catch mice, it's a good cat."
Deng Xiaoping

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules."
Walter Sobchak - The Big Lebowski

#24    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,877 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:06 AM

Majikthise on Sep 19 2008, 12:10 AM, said:

If all i have to do is be impressed.  Then I'll do it.

P.S.  Since 20th century Britain has had 27 PM's.  USA - 19

So between 1900-2008 the UK changed it's leader every 4 years on average whilst America changed it's leader every 5.69 years.  Americans give their Presidents just a little bit longer before deciding they're incompetent.  We British have a lower threshold. wink2.gif

Nar.. it just seemed like time cought up with me, is all.  It was like.. "It was this guy then..BAM! Tony Blair.. then BAM! Gordon Brown!"  I completely lost track of the actual years between them. (and yet.. I seems like time drags ENDLESSLY with our presidents..)

#25    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:51 AM

Hey, AROCES, do you plan to take time from once again leading the discussion away on a red herring to actually look at the real reason why this was a ****-up on McCain's part? He mentioned "friends in the hemisphere" and the like, suggesting that he honestly couldn't remember who Zapatero was at the time, and simply assumed he was Random Latin American President #11. All of which would be slightly trivial, were it not for the fact that his campaign came roaring back with the claim that he knew exactly what he was talking (even though, he, well, didn't).

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#26    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:18 AM

Guardsman Bass on Sep 19 2008, 02:51 AM, said:

Hey, AROCES, do you plan to take time from once again leading the discussion away on a red herring to actually look at the real reason why this was a ****-up on McCain's part? He mentioned "friends in the hemisphere" and the like, suggesting that he honestly couldn't remember who Zapatero was at the time, and simply assumed he was Random Latin American President #11. All of which would be slightly trivial, were it not for the fact that his campaign came roaring back with the claim that he knew exactly what he was talking (even though, he, well, didn't).

He doesn't know someone's name who he hasn't met, so?
All he knows is Spain is an ally, and when it's time to deal with Spain he simply would ask his advisers who is the head of spain and what do we have on him.
That is simply how it works, it's not a matter of getting to know names who you think he ought to know, like as if it's a game show.

Edited by AROCES, 19 September 2008 - 03:32 AM.

#27    AROCES

AROCES

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 16,312 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:31 AM

SilverCougar on Sep 18 2008, 10:56 PM, said:

However it gives the person a good sence of the needs of people.

We have Representatives of each district to adress the needs of the people. A Presidents main task is to govern and make policies that will benefit the country as a whole.
He does not have to focus on the needs of the people, just keep the economy sound, the country safe, make sure we live by the constitution of tre country and make policies that he thinks is best for the country even if it means some will disagree or oppose.

Which just goes to show a piece of our foriegn problems.  We wxpect the world to know out leader.. but we can't expect our leader to *ATLEAST* know the names and countries of our allies

A President will simply ask his Foreign Policy adivsers for names of leaders, I mean that is why they are there. thumbsup.gif

Edited by AROCES, 19 September 2008 - 03:42 AM.

#28    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:36 AM

SilverCougar on Sep 18 2008, 01:16 PM, said:

Because being a community organiser and working with a community to better it is such a *horrible* thing.. since apparently being president means you don't have to worry about organising a community and making it..better...oh wait.. it does!

It isn't a bad thing.

But there is a significant difference between organizing local communitty activities for little pay, with no particular license or training, and no one supervising you - verses - someone who has been the head of some group or organization, who's future is determined by how well they do their job or not, who has to answer to someone on a regular basis, who is the person who's sole decision effects the lives of others.

But this has all been hashed out too much already here.

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

#29    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:46 AM

questionmark on Sep 18 2008, 02:41 PM, said:

If you think that is bad, read the statistics about how many Americans are capable of finding the USA on a map ... a majority supposes it where Russia is, 'cause it is the biggest country.

We are next to China right?

#30    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:23 AM

AROCES on Sep 18 2008, 09:18 PM, said:

He doesn't know someone's name who he hasn't met, so?
All he knows is Spain is an ally, and when it's time to deal with Spain he simply would ask his advisers who is the head of spain and what do we have on him.
That is simply how it works, it's not a matter of getting to know names who you think he ought to know, like as if it's a game show.

Except that earlier on in last year, he was a voice for reconciliation with Zapatero after said politician knocked out the Bush campaign's favorite, the conservative Jose Aznar. Not to mention that he still placed Spain in the wrong hemisphere and clearly had no idea of what Spain's significance was in the whole issue in an interview by a Spanish reporter, otherwise he would have spoken about Spain's role in the EU, European politics, Afghanistan, and so forth.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users