Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Biden: Be Patriotic, Pay More Taxes

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 18 September 2008 - 03:47 PM

WASHINGTON — Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden said Thursday that paying more in taxes is the patriotic thing to do for wealthier Americans. In a new TV ad that repeats widely debunked claims about the Democratic tax plan, the Republican campaign calls Obama’s tax increases “painful.”

Under the economic plan proposed by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, people earning more than $250,000 a year would pay more in taxes while those earning less — the vast majority of American taxpayers — would receive a tax cut.

Although Republican John McCain claims that Obama would raise taxes, the independent Tax Policy Center and other groups conclude that four out of five U.S. households would receive tax cuts under Obama’s proposals.

“We want to take money and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people,” Biden said in an interview on ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

Noting that wealthier Americans would indeed pay more, Biden said: “It’s time to be patriotic … time to jump in, time to be part of the deal, time to help get America out of the rut.”

McCain released a television ad Thursday charging that Obama would increase the size of the federal government amid an economic crisis. Contending that “a big government casts a big shadow on us all,” the ad features the image of a shadow slowly covering a sleeping baby as a narrator misstates the reach of the Obama tax proposal.

“Obama and his liberal congressional allies want a massive government, billions in spending increases, wasteful pork,” the ad says. “And we would pay — painful income taxes, skyrocketing taxes on life savings, electricity and home heating oil. Can your family afford that?”

The McCain campaign said the ad is set to run nationally.

Link

I consider myself better off financially than a lot of American's, but don't consider myself "wealthy", but my husband and I make over the mentioned amount above!!... So I guess that would mean us!

Edited by Nxt2Hvn, 18 September 2008 - 03:49 PM.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#2    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,492 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:12 PM

See this thread.

#3    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:15 PM

Startraveler on Sep 18 2008, 04:12 PM, said:

Already have, thank you... didn't do anything for me.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#4    Mr Honeybadger

Mr Honeybadger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:21 PM

That's what happens when you become wealthy and successful.  

The government sticks it to you.

#5    rideron

rideron

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

“We want to take money and put it back in the pocket of middle-class people,” Biden said in an interview on ABC’s “Good Morning America

“We want to take money ...."

Biden says this so blithely, effortlessly, naturally.

Astonishing....

#6    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:25 PM

ohio traveler on Sep 18 2008, 04:21 PM, said:

That's what happens when you become wealthy and successful.  

The government sticks it to you.

Yep.... maybe I should quit my job and go on goverment assistance....  hmm.gif

#7    Andiepanda

Andiepanda

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:12 PM

Wow, you guys make more than 250,000 a year? I personally would consider that wealthy!! original.gif My husband and I make about 30,000 a year, so we'll take any kind of tax breaks we can get!

#8    Mr Honeybadger

Mr Honeybadger

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

Andiepanda on Sep 18 2008, 03:12 PM, said:

Wow, you guys make more than 250,000 a year? I personally would consider that wealthy!! original.gif My husband and I make about 30,000 a year, so we'll take any kind of tax breaks we can get!

I'm right in the same bracket as you. Around the 35k mark. Far far from being wealthy.  And I would love to get a tax break as well. I just don't think wealthy people should have their taxes jacked up to make up the difference.  

I'd rather see our government shrink in size and power and let Everyone keep more of their money.   Rich and poor.

#9    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:40 PM

ohio traveler on Sep 18 2008, 08:33 PM, said:

I'm right in the same bracket as you. Around the 35k mark. Far far from being wealthy.  And I would love to get a tax break as well. I just don't think wealthy people should have their taxes jacked up to make up the difference.  

I'd rather see our government shrink in size and power and let Everyone keep more of their money.   Rich and poor.

Thanks Ohio ... I agree 100%.

And believe me ... $250,000 a year is not wealthy ... We own a construction company and have bills just like anyone else.

#10    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:15 AM

Andiepanda on Sep 18 2008, 03:12 PM, said:

Who does your husband work for? I bet it's a "rich" person.

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

#11    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:27 AM

MasterPo on Sep 19 2008, 01:15 AM, said:

Who does your husband work for? I bet it's a "rich" person.

I bet it's a company owned by stockholders.

#12    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:32 AM

BlindMessiah on Sep 18 2008, 08:27 PM, said:

I bet it's a company owned by stockholders.

That's supposed to mean what?

#13    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:35 AM

MasterPo on Sep 19 2008, 01:32 AM, said:

That's supposed to mean what?

You said you bet her husband works for a rich person. I doubt that he does. Most people work for companies owned by stockholders.

#14    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:40 AM

BlindMessiah on Sep 18 2008, 08:35 PM, said:

You said you bet her husband works for a rich person. I doubt that he does. Most people work for companies owned by stockholders.

There are far more small and medium companies than large ones. But that's off topic.

#15    Whangarei

Whangarei

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

• "Don't be sorry, just improve."

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:41 AM

I've never understood the suggestion that those who work hard and build themselves up are supposed to pay for the poor for what reason.  Half the people in dire straights right now are there of their own volition.  They over spent and tried to live beyond their means. You see people driving around in status symbols they can't afford instead of buying a used car,  buying flat panel tvs etc when they can't afford it.  Putting everything on credit cards and then getting swamped by the interest etc etc etc.   Rich people usually don't use the public systems that they are already taxed to pay for.  Like mass transit and public schools.  Most wealthy people are already paying for the rest of the country.  They suggest that those upper class elitists are hoarding in a sense all of the money.   But their tax bracket it much higher.  I'm poor and I feel like rich people should keep their money as they earned it.  Its time to be patriotic should read  lets get back to old time values where you don't live on credit and its ok to not have every single thing you want to have.

Seek peace, and pursue it.
http://nl.youtube.co...feature=related

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users