Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Biden: Be Patriotic, Pay More Taxes

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#16    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:55 AM

Whangarei on Sep 18 2008, 08:41 PM, said:

I've never understood the suggestion that those who work hard and build themselves up are supposed to pay for the poor for what reason.  Half the people in dire straights right now are there of their own volition.  They over spent and tried to live beyond their means. You see people driving around in status symbols they can't afford instead of buying a used car,  buying flat panel tvs etc when they can't afford it.  Putting everything on credit cards and then getting swamped by the interest etc etc etc.   Rich people usually don't use the public systems that they are already taxed to pay for.  Like mass transit and public schools.  Most wealthy people are already paying for the rest of the country.  They suggest that those upper class elitists are hoarding in a sense all of the money.   But their tax bracket it much higher.  I'm poor and I feel like rich people should keep their money as they earned it.  Its time to be patriotic should read  lets get back to old time values where you don't live on credit and its ok to not have every single thing you want to have.

Well said! thumbsup.gif

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

#17    Pinky Floyd

Pinky Floyd

Waxing Poetic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,828 posts

• 1000% Libertarian...

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:00 AM

Joe Biden has foot-in-mouth disease..I posted that when Obama chose him..

Meanwhile..increasing personal taxes are not going to fix our problem..the problem is a suicidal trade imbalance, meaningless wars (well...the war in Afghanistan has some meaning) and too big of a government...A smaller government making more money on a robust economy is the deal..Along with tax incentives for companies to bring manufacturing jobs here (or bring them back here for that matter).

/increasing taxes now (even the 'rich') will be a catastrophe...
//The American government needs a serious diet, stop giving crazy money away to other countries and a will to stay home and mind our own business for awhile ...(for the next 232 years or so..)  yes.gif

Edited by Pinky Floyd, 19 September 2008 - 02:04 AM.

Total American Isolationism Now
Complete and across the board. Over the next fifty years, America needs to develop energy independence
and terminate any and all relations with most all countries not on the North American Continent.
Forever...

#18    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:47 AM

Keep in mind that we're only talking about an 8.5% income tax increase on the top 1% (and that's the very highest; if you are making $250,000, I doubt you are in the top 1%). That still puts the percentage of income you are losing to tax under 40% of income - a far cry from the 91% top bracket rate from before the Reagan tax cuts.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#19    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,524 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:49 AM

That still puts the percentage of income you are losing to tax under 40% of income - a far cry from the 91% top bracket rate from before the Reagan tax cuts.

...or the 50% top bracket after the Reagan tax cuts.

#20    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:52 AM

Guardsman Bass on Sep 18 2008, 10:47 PM, said:

Keep in mind that we're only talking about an 8.5% income tax increase <SNIP>

"Only" - I like that.  crying.gif

#21    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,524 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:53 AM

Half the people in dire straights right now are there of their own volition.

Where do you get that figure from?

#22    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:55 AM

Startraveler on Sep 18 2008, 10:49 PM, said:

The fact that any one wants to legally limit the amount of income allowed to be kept by a person's own hard work which as brought them, all in the name of the greater good, should scare the HELL out of everyone!!

#23    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:57 AM

Startraveler on Sep 18 2008, 10:53 PM, said:

Where do you get that figure from?

I don't know about any stats. But I can assure you from my personal experience that at least half the people I've known couldn't manage two $1.00 bills if their life depended on it.

#24    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:58 AM

Startraveler on Sep 18 2008, 08:49 PM, said:

Funny thing about that - in spite of all the anti-tax activists' howling about how even slightly higher tax rates on the rich will cause economic stagnation, the US did quite nicely in terms of economic expansion and income from the post-war period until the 1970s, when the top income bracket in the US ranged from 91% (from the middle of World War 2 until 1964), to over 70% until the first Reagan era tax cut.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#25    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 02:59 AM

Guardsman Bass on Sep 18 2008, 10:58 PM, said:

Funny thing about that - in spite of all the anti-tax activists' howling about how even slightly higher tax rates on the rich will cause economic stagnation, the US did quite nicely in terms of economic expansion and income from the post-war period until the 1970s, when the top income bracket in the US ranged from 91% (from the middle of World War 2 until 1964), to over 70% until the first Reagan era tax cut.

Inspite of it, not because of it.

#26    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:00 AM

MasterPo on Sep 18 2008, 08:55 PM, said:

The fact that any one wants to legally limit the amount of income allowed to be kept by a person's own hard work which as brought them, all in the name of the greater good, should scare the HELL out of everyone!!

Are you one of those idiots who thinks that taxation is "stealing"? I've got news for you - the instant the federal government stops doing such things as maintaining property laws and defense against outside threats, your property rights disappear, and your income becomes subject to whatever racket the local mafioso/warlord/feudal lord demands who will then laugh at your claim of a "right" to keep anything you produce.

#27    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:10 AM

Guardsman Bass on Sep 18 2008, 11:00 PM, said:

Are you one of those idiots

My wife would say so. wink2.gif

who thinks that taxation is "stealing"?

When you are saying that it's OK to tax away someone's hard earned income because you link 40% is affordable or you think "only" 8.5% is good that is stealing!

#28    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:13 AM

You know this would be so much simpler if we had a spending tax. We could cut out government funds being spent on the IRS, it'd be perfectly fair for all citizens, and it'd save the confusing hassle of paying income taxes and all the different tax rates and breaks. Another point, a spenditure tax would result in the rich paying more anyway, so the liberals would get what they want, and everyone would pay a flat percentage, so the conservatives would get what they want.

#29    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:18 AM

BlindMessiah on Sep 18 2008, 11:13 PM, said:

You know this would be so much simpler if we had a spending tax.

The only problem there is: How do you enforce the gov doesn't impose income related taxes again in the future but not in addition to a consumption tax??  unsure.gif

#30    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 03:39 AM

MasterPo on Sep 19 2008, 04:18 AM, said:

The only problem there is: How do you enforce the gov doesn't impose income related taxes again in the future but not in addition to a consumption tax??  unsure.gif

Well how do we keep the government from raising income taxes? We elect representatives who will supposedly represent us. The problem is that as we all know, politicians lie. Bush senior is a good example of this situation. But you agree with the idea?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users