Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Op-Ed

IrishAidan07

The editor of the paper I work at asked me to write an Op-Ed about the election. Normally, I don't write Op-Eds. Usually, more experienced writers get the job. Anyway, here is what I gave him. I know many of the Liberals will be at my throat about this, but oh well.

Obama, I'm Sorry

First and foremost, I am a tried and true liberal. I take no issue whatsoever with the rich being unfairly taxed; I completely disagree with the war in Iraq; I want staunch liberal judges appointed to the Supreme Court; I want homosexuals to marry on the steps of every courthouse in the nation; and I hug trees and kiss the picture of a caribou on the weekends, mourning my moose brethren that will surely be lost in ANWR.

But I might be voting for McCain & Palin. (Yes, it really does say that!)

The idea of Joe Biden, the plagiarist, being a mere left ventricle contraction away from the most important office on the face of the Earth is just too much for me to bear. If - God forbid - something happen to President Obama and Vice President Biden (I'm cringing right now) were sworn in to office, throwing around that patented smile (probably is) he paints on at the idea of a vote, I would just SCREAM!!!!

Unfortunately for my reputation, I gave Obama far too much credit when it became evident he was going to be the nominee of the Democratic Party. Obama's oratory skill alone is enough to assume his political acumen and general intelligence would propel him to choose a decent running mate. But boy was I wrong.

I feel like a first-class schmuck. (Yeah, I really do!)

Even before the inevitable was apparent, I ran around town and net trying to convert Clintonites and Edwardos to Obamacrats.. “Come on, man. Obama is a young, intelligent, handsome candidate of real change. Pledge your vote for him!” I was on the Vote Obama train all the way to the White House – or so I thought.

Let's look at the rationale for choosing a running mate like Biden. For one, he's experienced in foreign affairs, a quality Obama was sorely lacking. And for two....okay, I got nothing.

Seriously, was foreign affairs experience the only reason Obama chose Biden? If so, how many other candidates not prone to plagiarism have such experience? Numerous! Chris Dodd, despite having funny eyebrows, would have been, in my opinion, a glorious choice. But nope, Obama couldn't help me save face. He just had to pick ol' Joe!

So, why do I despise him so much?

Good question. First of all, I can't stand his charlatan-like smile. I can't explain it, but every time he smiles I just know something nefarious is going on in that brain of his. “Hmm. Who can I plagiarize next?” or “Hmm. What other issue could I be hypocritical about?”

He's thinking something crooked, I just know it. Facial gestures aside, however, there are other reasons I won't vote for any ticket with his name on it.

The plagiarism, for example, is well-known. He stole a speech by British politician Neil Kinnock, nearly word-for-word. But Biden was also charged with plagiarism during his first year at Syracuse Law which, perhaps, can be overlooked or written-off as a typical college kid mistake. But when you're a United States Senator with a charge of dishonesty already on your record, even if it was in college, doing it again means you're intellectually lazy – period. Bush jokes aside, I don't want someone like that making decisions that impact me and my family.

Now what about Senator Biden's hypocritical tendencies? Many of you are saying, “What gives, liberal?” Well, what gives is all the strong words Biden has for Bush on Iraq, whilst forgetting his previous blather.

In 2002 on
Meet The Press
, Biden said of Saddam Hussein, “He’s a long term threat and a short term threat to our national security… We have no choice but to eliminate the threat. This is a guy who is an extreme danger to the world.”

Also in 2002, “We must be clear with the American people that we are committing to Iraq for the long haul; not just the day after, but the decade after.”

But now Iraq was a big mistake and we need to leave? Gee, Joe. Which one is it?

Anyway, you don't need a liberal like me telling you any of this stuff. All you have to do is Google search Joe Biden and you'll find several different articles by the non-elite press on the matter of Biden's dishonesty and stupidity. I just wanted to lament.

John McCain is an American hero. A fact even my party will acknowledge. His decisions are not based on polls; a fact evident throughout his career. To be quite honest, I don't know how many times I smiled when I heard McCain was going at it with fellow Republicans about this or about that. And Palin? Pssh. What can I say? Intelligent, beautiful, absolutely hilarious, and best of all: she hasn't been accused of plagiarism!

Obama, I am sorry. But the thought of your Oval Office decision making bearing any type of resemblance to the decisions you've made concerning a running mate - is simply too much for this Democrat to take.

Tally one up for McCain.

Edited by IrishAidan

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IrishAidan07

• Kissmet

• Guardsman Bass

• Startraveler

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe I've ever directly heard of anyone voting based on the bottom of the ticket before. So that's interesting. You set up a cute caricature of liberalism at the beginning--complete with right-wing framing ("unfairly taxed")--but I'll take your word for it that you're a tried and true liberal.

Your rationale, frankly, makes no sense (ignoring the silliness of disliking his smile). You're going to vote for John McCain because Joe Biden supported the Iraq War? First, it should not need pointing out that Joe Biden isn't running against John McCain. Nor should it need pointing out that Obama (yes, Obama is the one running for president) has very real policy disagreements with McCain on Iraq. Today. Regarding tomorrow. That this apparently hasn't figured into your thought process is disappointing.

His decisions are not based on polls; a fact evident throughout his career.

Where have you been the last four years, I wonder?

And Palin? Pssh. What can I say? Intelligent, beautiful, absolutely hilarious, and best of all: she hasn't been accused of plagiarism!

I don't know if you're trying to fill column inches or what but this is simply vacuous.

I don't believe I've ever directly heard of anyone voting based on the bottom of the ticket before. So that's interesting. You set up a cute caricature of liberalism at the beginning--complete with right-wing framing ("unfairly taxed")--but I'll take your word for it that you're a tried and true liberal.

It was on purpose. In the actual article, "unfairly taxed" will be in quotation marks.

Your rationale, frankly, makes no sense (ignoring the silliness of disliking his smile). You're going to vote for John McCain because Joe Biden supported the Iraq War? First, it should not need pointing out that Joe Biden isn't running against John McCain. Nor should it need pointing out that Obama (yes, Obama is the one running for president) has very real policy disagreements with McCain on Iraq. Today. Regarding tomorrow. That this apparently hasn't figured into your thought process is disappointing.

The disliking of the smile was slapstick, to go along with the other jokes. Secondly, I'm not voting for McCain because Biden supported the war. I'm voting for McCain (possible) because Biden doesn't have the courage of his convictions. And, as I said, if Obama is elected, Biden is a mere left ventricle contraction away from the presidency. I think any sensible voter takes into consideration who is at the bottom of the ticket.

I don't know if you're trying to fill column inches or what but this is simply vacuous.

The bit about Palin? Yeah, basically it was for humor more than anything. But she is intelligent. I can't say the same for Biden.

McCain, while I disagree with him about many things, has the courage of his convictions. His decisions reflect what he believes - not polls. I can't say the same for Biden. Also, it's nice you didn't mention the plagiarist bit. Do you deny that plagiarizing twice is indicative of an idiot? Someone intellectually lazy?

Edited by IrishAidan

Via Lexis Nexis:

The New York Times

May 29, 1989, Monday, Late City Final Edition

Professional Board Clears Biden In Two Allegations of Plagiarism

BYLINE: AP

SECTION: Section 1; Page 29, Column 5; National Desk

LENGTH: 276 words

DATELINE: WILMINGTON, Del., May 28

Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr. was cleared of allegations that he committed plagiarism in law school by a panel under the authority of the Delaware Supreme Court, The News Journal reported today.

The Wilmington newspaper also said Mr. Biden has received a clean bill of health from his doctor after two life-threatening brain aneurysms in 1988.

The Delaware Democrat withdrew from the 1988 Presidential campaign after accusations that he had quoted the British Labor Party leader, Neil Kinnock, without attribution and had plagiarized an article while attending Syracuse University's law school.

Mr. Biden called his failure to attribute the quotes to Mr. Kinnock an oversight.

The alleged law school plagiarism involved an essay Mr. Biden wrote in 1965 for an introductory class on legal methodology.

'A Personal Vindication'

The Senator ended his Presidential campaign Sept. 23, 1987, and, because the allegations involved his standing as a lawyer, he notified the state Supreme Court about them later that year.

The court's Board on Professional Responsibility, consisting of lawyers and non-lawyers, ruled on Dec. 21, 1987, that Mr. Biden had not violated any rules.

Mr. Biden said he decided not to publicize the ruling, which was confidential. ''I guess I had in the back of my mind . . . this was more of a personal vindication than a political one,'' he said.

But he added that he had decided to divulge the ruling because he expected ''somebody would go back someday and check. And I knew there was a hard record there.''

L. Susan Faw, independent disciplinary counsel for the board, confirmed that the ruling had cleared Mr. Biden.

The Kinnock incident was stupid on his part but a little checking (on the part of others, not me) reveals that he did credit Kinnock in previous incarnations of his speech. He screwed up and paid the penalty when he was forced to withdraw from the race. Holding it against Barack Obama twenty years later is absurd.

Here's a decent list of McCain's numerous flip flops. The man's positions are all over the map and it becomes clearer with each passing day that his grasp of the issues is tenuous at best. And Palin, with the revelations of her cronyism, probable abuses of power, insistence on lying about her own record, and knowledge of policy that makes McCain look downright wonkish by comparison, hardly constitutes a legitimate counterweight to Biden.

Check Out This Times Article Of Biden's Plagarism: http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...;pagewanted=all

CBS News tonight quoted an aide to Mr. Biden as saying he had been exonerated. However, an academic official said Mr. Biden had been found guilty, ''threw himself on the mercy of the board'' and promised not to repeat the offense. This, according to the official, persuaded the board to drop the matter and allow Mr. Biden to remain in law school. Mr. Biden's office declined to clarify the circumstances surrounding the case, saying the Senator had insisted on handling the matter himself at the news conference..

And Obama has flip-flopped. But McCain isn't afraid to go against his party. I mean, wasn't it that fat idiot Limbaugh and little punk Hannity talking about how they were going to vote for Hillary over McCain? Just a few months ago, I believe.

Edited by IrishAidan

Yeah, I didn't like him as a choice either.... but Obama thought thats what he needed to get the exp. grinders of his back (which he shouldn't have done, its not all about exp. but also skill.... and gold)...

I'll be writing another one on Biden's performance in college. I'll be sure to post it for you to see, Star. He was damn near at the bottom of the barrel. Palin, of course, did flunk out of college, but rebounded later after retaking a class. But Biden was at the bottom of the barrel at every school he attended. That coupled with the plagiarism is enough to consider him intellectually lazy.

Edited by IrishAidan

McCain, while I disagree with him about many things, has the courage of his convictions. His decisions reflect what he believes - not polls. I can't say the same for Biden. Also, it's nice you didn't mention the plagiarist bit. Do you deny that plagiarizing twice is indicative of an idiot? Someone intellectually lazy?

McCain maybe was a maverick, but please, not anymore. He's kissed the religious right's *** as well as every other hard lining conservative. Then he goes and picks Palin, a member of the religious right.

And Obama has flip-flopped. But McCain isn't afraid to go against his party. I mean, wasn't it that fat idiot Limbaugh and little punk Hannity talking about how they were going to vote for Hillary over McCain? Just a few months ago, I believe.

Limbaugh and Coulter said that, not Hannity.

However, an academic official said Mr. Biden had been found guilty, ''threw himself on the mercy of the board'' and promised not to repeat the offense.

So an unnamed official quoted during the heat of a presidential primary (Biden was still in the race when the article you cite was written) recollects on the 1965 inquiry. Meanwhile, a review by the Board of Professional Responsibility of the Delaware Supreme Court requested by Biden himself after his withdrawal from the race clears him of any wrongdoing (with actual named officials verifying it).

But McCain isn't afraid to go against his party.

If there's one thing this election has shown, that's absolutely untrue. McCain sways in the political winds. After the Keating 5 scandal he began cultivating his "maverick" image by ingratiating himself to the press. It didn't get him the presidency in 2000 (something he admits he sought only out of blind ambition, no real policy goals) he slowly abandoned it to embrace his last chance at getting the nomination: George W. Bush. *Hug* The far right of his party now holds him hostage, having forced him to accept someone like Palin over his real preferences, Lieberman of Ridge.

I'll be writing another one on Biden's performance in college. I'll be sure to post it for you to see, Star. He was damn near at the bottom of the barrel. Palin, of course, did flunk out of college, but rebounded later after retaking a class. But Biden was at the bottom of the barrel at every school he attended. That coupled with the plagiarism is enough to consider him intellectually lazy.

And McCain graduating 894th out of 899 is singularly impressive.

Perhaps someday a ticket will have a former editor of the Harvard Law Review at the top of it. One can dream.

Edited by Startraveler

McCain maybe was a maverick, but please, not anymore. He's kissed the religious right's *** as well as every other hard lining conservative. Then he goes and picks Palin, a member of the religious right.

Well, Palin might be a tad religious for my liking, but generally, I think she is O.K.

Limbaugh and Coulter said that, not Hannity.

Yep, Coulter. My bad.

Perhaps someday a ticket will have a former editor of the Harvard Law Review at the top of it. One can dream.

Ill settle for someday having a ticket with a human...

So an unnamed official quoted during the heat of a presidential primary (Biden was still in the race when the article you cite was written) recollects on the 1965 inquiry. Meanwhile, a review by the Board of Professional Responsibility of the Delaware Supreme Court requested by Biden himself after his withdrawal from the race clears him of any wrongdoing (with actual named officials verifying it).

The point is that he was charged with it. O.K. Big deal. Charged with it doesn't mean anything. It could be wrong, right? But then the moron goes and plagarizes a speech by Neil Kinnock!!! Sorry, a bit too much coincidence for me.

And McCain graduating 894th out of 899 is singularly impressive.

O.K. Good one. I admit, I laughed my *** off when I read that. LOL.

Even still, the bottom of the ticket is important. McCain has proven himself, I feel. Palin hasn't, but she is intelligent and she's done a helluva job in Alaska. Obama is great. Biden? Not so much.

So, I have a predicament. I have two people on the Republican ticket whom I find O.K. I have one person on the Dem ticket who I like and another whom I despise.

Edited by IrishAidan

I just wish he would have picked Hillary.

Or Lucifer! Anyone but Biden. I mean, I have always despised Biden. Since high school when I first seen his mug on T.V. I just don't like him. He rubs me wrong. The plagiarism, his major flip-flops, and just the general glow he has. He is the ultimate politician. He is a crook in every sense of the word, I feel.

I just wish he would have picked Hillary.

Or Lucifer! Anyone but Biden. I mean, I have always despised Biden. Since high school when I first seen his mug on T.V. I just don't like him. He rubs me wrong. The plagiarism, his major flip-flops, and just the general glow he has. He is the ultimate politician. He is a crook in every sense of the word, I feel.

Catholic self-hatred, maybe? ;) Biden's always struck me as a very sincere, passionate man--not the most telegenic combination. He's not afraid to admit he's wrong--I like that VERY MUCH in an elected official. He has exactly the passionate temperament Obama wants in the room when he has to make the big decisions. And his cynicism compliments Obama's optimism as well. Picking Biden was not the most politically rewarding pick, I'll grant ye, but it makes sense and it is, to my mind, extremely responsible in terms of successful governance--something I also value VERY MUCH in an elected official. Ain't disagreement fun! :no::yes:

Biden's always struck me as a very sincere, passionate man--not the most telegenic combination.

I would agree. Very good on

, as well.

Just because someone says something doesn't make it so. If I do cast my vote for McCain, I don't do so blindly, demurely meandering about thinking he will deliver on any and all of his promises that I agree with - like alternative energy. Given Biden's past, it is not unreasonable to assume that Biden will say and do anything to get a vote.

For example, I am a pro-life liberal. But despite not being a one or two issue voter, I don't vote for Republicans for this simple fact: Republicans could have gotten rid of abortion when they controlled all three branches of government. But did they? No. Why? because if they got rid of it, they would lose a huge issue that brings idiots to the polls.

I don't for a minute believe the Republican Party, generally, is concerned with getting rid of abortion. I don't believe Biden gives a damn about Women's Issues either.

Edited by IrishAidan

The editor of the paper I work at asked me to write an Op-Ed about the election. Normally, I don't write Op-Eds. Usually, more experienced writers get the job. Anyway, here is what I gave him. I know many of the Liberals will be at my throat about this, but oh well.

Obama, I'm Sorry

First and foremost, I am a tried and true liberal. I take no issue whatsoever with the rich being unfairly taxed; I completely disagree with the war in Iraq; I want staunch liberal judges appointed to the Supreme Court; I want homosexuals to marry on the steps of every courthouse in the nation; and I hug trees and kiss the picture of a caribou on the weekends, mourning my moose brethren that will surely be lost in ANWR.

But I might be voting for McCain & Palin. (Yes, it really does say that!)

This alone means that you've lost any respect I ever had for you. You claim that you are a staunch liberal, with clear convictions - yet you would be willing to vote for the opposition party that stands for the complete
opposite
of everything you believe in, just believe you think Biden is a dishonest politician? Come on - even assuming Obama is a mediocrity and Biden a scandal-plagued VP, at the end of the day Democratic legislation
will
get passed if the Democrats have a majority in Congress (as it seems like they will be getting). That alone is reason to vote for the Democratic ticket, particularly since we've had corrupt (Grant), incompetent (Harding), douchebag (Wilson), and liar (Johnson) presidents before, yet the Republic has survived.

Yet you would actively vote for the opposition? Frankly, I think you are either lying, or under a "Bush 2000" -style delusion. Lots of people in the moderate Democrat camps convinced themselves that he wouldn't be so bad, either - they didn't bother to look up his history as governor, or the advisors he relied upon.

The idea of Joe Biden, the plagiarist, being a mere left ventricle contraction away from the most important office on the face of the Earth is just too much for me to bear. If - God forbid - something happen to President Obama and Vice President Biden (I'm cringing right now) were sworn in to office, throwing around that patented smile (probably is) he paints on at the idea of a vote, I would just SCREAM!!!!

So what? Even if he is a dishonest prick who occasionally plagiarizes, that doesn't mean he can't be a good president, or at least a moderate one. The Bush Administration alone makes Biden look like Jesus.

Unfortunately for my reputation, I gave Obama far too much credit when it became evident he was going to be the nominee of the Democratic Party. Obama's oratory skill alone is enough to assume his political acumen and general intelligence would propel him to choose a decent running mate. But boy was I wrong.

Perhaps because Obama, unlike McCain, didn't want a running mate who was supposed to turn into a potted plant after November 5. From what I've read in the
New York Times
and the like, Obama placed value on a running mate who could "step in" were he to run into problems, and Biden is the man for that type of thing. He's actually a VP for a sitting president, not a candidate for President.

I feel like a first-class schmuck. (Yeah, I really do!)

No, you're just an idiot.

Even before the inevitable was apparent, I ran around town and net trying to convert Clintonites and Edwardos to Obamacrats.. “Come on, man. Obama is a young, intelligent, handsome candidate of real change. Pledge your vote for him!” I was on the Vote Obama train all the way to the White House – or so I thought.

Let's look at the rationale for choosing a running mate like Biden. For one, he's experienced in foreign affairs, a quality Obama was sorely lacking. And for two....okay, I got nothing.

The second reason was that Biden was supposed to be aggressive where Obama couldn't be - a throwback to a more bare-knuckles Irish-style of doing politics. That was probably over-hyped, but he has been clever in debates before (one of Obama's weak areas, in my opinions).

In any case, what's wrong with the first reason, even if that's the only one? Obama is clearly lacking in experience with foreign affairs, and Biden, at the very least, can give him loads of advice and talk intelligently with Obama's advisors in that area. Can you imagine Palin sitting in on a meeting with the Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, Director of Central Intelligence, and National Defense Advisor and being able to ask intelligent questions as well as really helping to shape foreign policy proposals?

Seriously, was foreign affairs experience the only reason Obama chose Biden? If so, how many other candidates not prone to plagiarism have such experience? Numerous! Chris Dodd, despite having funny eyebrows, would have been, in my opinion, a glorious choice. But nope, Obama couldn't help me save face. He just had to pick ol' Joe!

Biden has been in longer, and longer specifically in the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee.

So, why do I despise him so much?

Good question. First of all, I can't stand his charlatan-like smile. I can't explain it, but every time he smiles I just know something nefarious is going on in that brain of his. “Hmm. Who can I plagiarize next?” or “Hmm. What other issue could I be hypocritical about?”

Great. That's just what we need -
another
voter deciding to vote for entirely trivial bull reasons. Have a cookie.

He's thinking something crooked, I just know it. Facial gestures aside, however, there are other reasons I won't vote for any ticket with his name on it.

The plagiarism, for example, is well-known. He stole a speech by British politician Neil Kinnock, nearly word-for-word. But Biden was also charged with plagiarism during his first year at Syracuse Law which, perhaps, can be overlooked or written-off as a typical college kid mistake. But when you're a United States Senator with a charge of dishonesty already on your record, even if it was in college, doing it again means you're intellectually lazy – period. Bush jokes aside, I don't want someone like that making decisions that impact me and my family.

He's hardly the first president to steal credit for another politician's proposal (and Startraveler has gone into much better detail on this than I could ever hope to).

Now what about Senator Biden's hypocritical tendencies? Many of you are saying, “What gives, liberal?” Well, what gives is all the strong words Biden has for Bush on Iraq, whilst forgetting his previous blather.

In 2002 on
Meet The Press
, Biden said of Saddam Hussein, “He’s a long term threat and a short term threat to our national security… We have no choice but to eliminate the threat. This is a guy who is an extreme danger to the world.”

Also in 2002, “We must be clear with the American people that we are committing to Iraq for the long haul; not just the day after, but the decade after.”

But now Iraq was a big mistake and we need to leave? Gee, Joe. Which one is it?

Biden isn't omnipotent, and he doesn't run a intelligence operation out of his pocket.

Anyway, you don't need a liberal like me telling you any of this stuff. All you have to do is Google search Joe Biden and you'll find several different articles by the non-elite press on the matter of Biden's dishonesty and stupidity. I just wanted to lament.

I'll leave this to Startraveler, if you don't mind.

John McCain is an American hero. A fact even my party will acknowledge.

We've had several presidents who also happened to be "American heroes". Among their hallowed ranks were Andrew Jackson, Benjamin Harrison, Ulysses S. Grant, and John F. Kennedy. American heroes, yes (more so than McCain, whose sole claim to heroism is that he spent 5 years in a Vietnamese POW camp. Join the crowd - my step grand-father did the same, spending five years in a Nazi German POW camp after being captured at Dunkirk in 1940), but terrible presidents, by and large.

His decisions are not based on polls; a fact evident throughout his career.

He's such a maverick that he

Seriously, did you just sleep through the politics of the past 7 years? He's steadily flip-flopped on almost every issue he once took a stand on. He once stood up to Jerry Falwell and his Christofascist crowd, calling them agents of intolerance - but six years later, there he was at Falwell's Liberty University, sucking up to him. He once took a stand against the Bush tax cuts for not including greater spending - but his own tax cuts would cripple the federal government and run the government into more debt than Obama's. He had the gall to run an ad claiming that Obama helped bring down his good immigration bill back in 2006 - even though Obama voted for it, and McCain folded like a cheap paper suit on the issue after running into a wall of conservative opposition. And let's not forget that in 2005, he caved on a bill to stop torture.

Is that a "maverick"? I don't think so. That's a man who tacks with the wind. Even his vaunted McCain-Feingold bill in 2002 was hardly a bolt from the blue; Bush had said back in 2000 that he would support campaign finance reform as long as it equally targeted traditional Democratic and Republican sources of money.

To be quite honest, I don't know how many times I smiled when I heard McCain was going at it with fellow Republicans about this or about that.

Frankly, I'm starting to wonder if you aren't merely an idiot - I think you're
lying
about being this staunch liberal you claim to be. Only an idiot or a closet conservative would overlook the fact that McCain, by and large, has sided with Bush on almost everything (the sole exception being the environment and Global Warming, but after his one attempt at a bill with Joe Lieberman, he gave up the fight on that one).

And Palin? Pssh. What can I say? Intelligent, beautiful, absolutely hilarious, and best of all: she hasn't been accused of plagiarism!

No, she's been accused of being a lying, manipulative governor with ties to christian fundamentalism and a wholly undeserved persona as a "maverick". Of course, the funny thing is is that those accusations are true - something you'd notice if you stopped acting like a moronic undecided personality voter and did some actual research.

Tell me, then, for such an "intelligent" governor, why is it that the McCain campaign has been so afraid of the media questioning her that they've screened nearly every rally she's held to keep out the press (for which she's generally done nothing but speak scripted lines, even noticeably false ones like her claim on the Bridge to Nowhere), and only allowed two interviews - one of which was with that flattering *** Sean Hannity?

Obama, I am sorry. But the thought of your Oval Office decision making bearing any type of resemblance to the decisions you've made concerning a running mate - is simply too much for this Democrat to take.

Tally one up for McCain.

And it sickens me every day that the presidential election will come down to people like you - idiots who can't see past personality and appearances, who voted in Bush in 2000 because he seemed like such a nice, folksy, charming conservative governor, not like that "boring" Al Gore with his silly ideas about the environment and such. Guess how well that worked out?

Look, if you aren't a liberal, feel free to say so. It's not like we have a culture of repression going on here; if anything, we have much more conservative and libertarian voices in this forum than more liberal voices.

I don't for a minute believe the Republican Party, generally, is concerned with getting rid of abortion. I don't believe Biden gives a damn about Women's Issues either.

This is an entirely self-defeating way of thinking of the "all politicians are liars" variety. Then who cares? Why vote for either of 'em? Spite? "Urgh, I hate that guy's looks! I'm votin' for the other guy!" Is the Presidential election really that trivial to you? You're not making sense, Kimosabe.

Edited by HKCavalier

This is an entirely self-defeating way of thinking of the "all politicians are liars" variety. Then who cares? Why vote for either of 'em? Spite? "Urgh, I hate that guy's looks! I'm votin' for the other guy!" Is the Presidential election really that trivial to you? You're not making sense, Kimosabe.

Like I said, he's either an idiot whose voting for trivial, bull personality reasons, or he's being dishonest about his political positions. Possibly both- it's happened before.

This alone means that you've lost any respect I ever had for you. You claim that you are a staunch liberal, with clear convictions - yet you would be willing to vote for the opposition party that stands for the complete opposite of everything you believe in, just believe you think Biden is a dishonest politician? Come on - even assuming Obama is a mediocrity and Biden a scandal-plagued VP, at the end of the day Democratic legislation will get passed if the Democrats have a majority in Congress (as it seems like they will be getting). That alone is reason to vote for the Democratic ticket, particularly since we've had corrupt (Grant), incompetent (Harding), douchebag (Wilson), and liar (Johnson) presidents before, yet the Republic has survived.

Yet you would actively vote for the opposition? Frankly, I think you are either lying, or under a "Bush 2000" -style delusion. Lots of people in the moderate Democrat camps convinced themselves that he wouldn't be so bad, either - they didn't bother to look up his history as governor, or the advisors he relied upon.

First of all, I have always liked John McCain. Secondly, what is that little bit Obama says, "I'm not running for president of blue America, or red America, but the United States of America!" Sorry if I choose to put country above party.

So what? Even if he is a dishonest prick who occasionally plagiarizes, that doesn't mean he can't be a good president, or at least a moderate one. The Bush Administration alone makes Biden look like Jesus.

Biden would be better than Bush, sure. But I think McCain and Palin would be better than both. I am allowed to have opinions, right?

Perhaps because Obama, unlike McCain, didn't want a running mate who was supposed to turn into a potted plant after November 5. From what I've read in the New York Times and the like, Obama placed value on a running mate who could "step in" were he to run into problems, and Biden is the man for that type of thing. He's actually a VP for a sitting president, not a candidate for President.

And no other pick could give Obama the "step-in" bit? He had to pick someone like Biden? BS.

No, you're just an idiot.

Ditto.

The second reason was that Biden was supposed to be aggressive where Obama couldn't be - a throwback to a more bare-knuckles Irish-style of doing politics. That was probably over-hyped, but he has been clever in debates before (one of Obama's weak areas, in my opinions).

In any case, what's wrong with the first reason, even if that's the only one? Obama is clearly lacking in experience with foreign affairs, and Biden, at the very least, can give him loads of advice and talk intelligently with Obama's advisors in that area. Can you imagine Palin sitting in on a meeting with the Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, Director of Central Intelligence, and National Defense Advisor and being able to ask intelligent questions as well as really helping to shape foreign policy proposals?

McCain had foreign policy experience. Obama does not. Palin does not. Biden does. Biden is an idiot. McCain, Obama, and Palin are not, in my opinion.

Great. That's just what we need - another voter deciding to vote for entirely trivial bull reasons. Have a cookie.

Humor. See, I suspect most of my readers will recognize that I'm not seriously thinking of voting for McCain because I dislike Biden's smile.

We've had several presidents who also happened to be "American heroes". Among their hallowed ranks were Andrew Jackson, Benjamin Harrison, Ulysses S. Grant, and John F. Kennedy. American heroes, yes (more so than McCain, whose sole claim to heroism is that he spent 5 years in a Vietnamese POW camp. Join the crowd - my step grand-father did the same, spending five years in a Nazi German POW camp after being captured at Dunkirk in 1940), but terrible presidents, by and large.

O.K. And while Biden was plagiarizing at Syracuse Law, McCain was being tortured. What do you think is more commendable?

Frankly, I'm starting to wonder if you aren't merely an idiot - I think you're lying about being this staunch liberal you claim to be. Only an idiot or a closet conservative would overlook the fact that McCain, by and large, has sided with Bush on almost everything (the sole exception being the environment and Global Warming, but after his one attempt at a bill with Joe Lieberman, he gave up the fight on that one).

Logical fallacy, but yeah, it must be one of those.

No, she's been accused of being a lying, manipulative governor with ties to christian fundamentalism and a wholly undeserved persona as a "maverick". Of course, the funny thing is is that those accusations are true - something you'd notice if you stopped acting like a moronic undecided personality voter and did some actual research.

If I accused you of wearing your grandma's underwear, does that make it true?

Tell me, then, for such an "intelligent" governor, why is it that the McCain campaign has been so afraid of the media questioning her that they've screened nearly every rally she's held to keep out the press (for which she's generally done nothing but speak scripted lines, even noticeably false ones like her claim on the Bridge to Nowhere), and only allowed two interviews - one of which was with that flattering *** Sean Hannity?

And the other one was with who? On what network?

Charlie? Hmm. It escapes me. NB... Arg. Escapes me.

And it sickens me every day that the presidential election will come down to people like you - idiots who can't see past personality and appearances, who voted in Bush in 2000 because he seemed like such a nice, folksy, charming conservative governor, not like that "boring" Al Gore with his silly ideas about the environment and such. Guess how well that worked out?

Look, if you aren't a liberal, feel free to say so. It's not like we have a culture of repression going on here; if anything, we have much more conservative and libertarian voices in this forum than more liberal voices.

Um, I wasn't old enough to vote in 2000. But I was for Gore.

And I am a liberal. All you have to do is go read some more posts and possess just a tad of common sense.

Also, it's pretty sad you couldn't address this Op-Ed without resorting to, "You're an idiot!"

Edited by IrishAidan

Anyone who puts complete faith in anything any politician says is an idiot.

Like I said, he's either an idiot whose voting for trivial, bull personality reasons, or he's being dishonest about his political positions. Possibly both- it's happened before.

Sure love those logical fallacies, 'eh?

Well, if you folks would like, when I get on my Mac tomorrow, I'll dig up an Op-Ed I wrote about Bush a few months back. I'm sure that will ebb any and all insinuations that I am a conservative in sheep's clothing. The one about Bush, too, is not of the comedic variety.

Edited by IrishAidan

Anyone who puts complete faith in anything any politician says is an idiot.

Hey, don't be childish. There's a middle ground between calling 'em all liars and bestowing "complete faith" on them. You're not making your case sound any less trivial.

Hey, don't be childish. There's a middle ground between calling 'em all liars and bestowing "complete faith" on them. You're not making your case sound any less trivial.

Both parties lie their arses off. Occasionally, you'll get a politician who is honest. I don't feel Biden is an honest person. You can dance around the plagiarism charges all you want, but the fact is he was accused of it in college. Vindicated of it? Perhaps. Some say different though. But the very fact he was accused again, in this case he undeniably did it, coupled with the original accusation is far too much coincidence for me. Most people go through a lifetime without ever having been accused. This jerk off was accused twice!

Edited by IrishAidan

Secondly, I'm not voting for McCain because Biden supported the war. I'm voting for McCain (possible) because Biden doesn't have the courage of his convictions.

I'm keeping my nose out of the election discussion in general, but I would like to ask a question about this philosophy of choice.

Which is preferable, someone who can admit to their mistake and change their mind, or someone who sticks to their original conviction even when they know in their heart it is wrong?

Just wondering...