Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Do You Support Abortion?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
628 replies to this topic

Poll: Abortion Poll (169 member(s) have cast votes)

Do You Support Abortion?

1. Yes, the circumstances don't matter. (81 votes [47.93%])

Percentage of vote: 47.93%

2. Yes, if the woman was raped, or the mother's life is in danger. (8 votes [4.73%])

Percentage of vote: 4.73%

3. Depends on the case. (37 votes [21.89%])

Percentage of vote: 21.89%

4. No, however I think it's OK for a rape victim or someone who's life is in danger. (20 votes [11.83%])

Percentage of vote: 11.83%

5. No, however I think it's OK for rape victims but not mother's who's lives are danger. (2 votes [1.18%])

Percentage of vote: 1.18%

6. No, the circumstances don't matter. (21 votes [12.43%])

Percentage of vote: 12.43%

Do You Support The Death Penalty?

1. Yes. (101 votes [60.48%])

Percentage of vote: 60.48%

2. No. (66 votes [39.52%])

Percentage of vote: 39.52%

Vote

#1    TheKnight

TheKnight

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:36 AM

I think that many times religionists and non-religionists often get so tied up in other debates that we just assume things about the opposing group which may or may not be true. I, personally, have been surprised quite a few times to hear that there are Atheists who are against Abortion. So, in order to kinda see where the general consensus is (because I certainly don't know), I made this poll.

Responses are welcome.

EDIT: I kinda wanted to ask this too because I sometimes find it interesting that some people will be pro-life and pro-death penalty, and sometimes will be pro-choice and anti-death penalty. I support the death penalty.

Edited by ~HaParash~, 19 September 2008 - 05:43 AM.

#2    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:39 AM

No, I don't support abortion in anyway, shape, or form.

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#3    TheKnight

TheKnight

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:40 AM

IrishAidan on Sep 18 2008, 10:39 PM, said:

No, I don't support abortion in anyway, shape, or form.

Could you please explain why?

Thanks.

#4    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,289 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:45 AM

I support abortion only under the conditions that you specified above.

I support death penalty under special circumstances.  Lets say a case by case support.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#5    Marcus Aurelius

Marcus Aurelius

Psychic Spy

• 1,744 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:52 AM

Well, as a spiritualist, I'm sure even posting anything on here will render all sorts of attacks my way, but yes, as someone who believes in and loves God, I am pro choice. I want life whenever possible, sure, but hey, I'm a man, so ultimately, its not MY CHOICE, and never should be, and worse still, I should never have that authority to DEMAND that from someone else.

From my very liberal religious perspective, if one accepts that we are all spirit beings, then.....these children will both take, and already have their true life in spirit, if not in flesh. I mean, to me, no one or nothing ever really dies. First and foremost, we are all spirit beings, having but a material experience, and as such, as souls, we incarnate into matter, into flesh at different periods and cycles. If a soul loses one body, it transmigrates to another. The cycle of birth death and rebirth is very real, and Death itself is an illusion IMHO. And because I also feel that everything happens for both a karmic reason, and destiny, that such a choice should NOT be abhored. If that is the choice one makes, then, it is part of their destiny. It is that simple. And who am I to judge that? Or interfere? Or worse, impose some deluded will on someone else? THERE ARE NO ACCIDENTS.

I support life, but who am I to force my will on others, or to judge others for their actions? I mean, explore the options, TRY to choose life, you know, give the kid up for adoption or something. That's what I THINK others should do, but in some cases, abortion is all right with me, other than pure wanton disregard for life. But I say that I am pro choice, because this is not my place to decide. Simple as that. We are all on our own individual spiritual path here, and we should respect one another.

Posted Image

The Urban Contemplative

http://www.unexplain...log&blogid=2565

#6    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,524 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:54 AM

I just want to point out that "do you support abortion" is a bit of a loaded question. To my knowledge, the vast majority of people who wish to preserve the choice/right and keep abortion from being outlawed still would like to see efforts made to reduce the number of abortions performed. The tricky thing with an issue like this is that it's all but impossible not to frame it in some way when discussing it. Focusing on the act itself, as in the poll question, implicitly tips it toward the anti-abortion crowd because for most pro-choice people (I believe) the issue is much broader than "do you support abortion." It's a matter of privacy, government intruding on a woman's body, and, yes, choice. That said, this is an interesting topic. Carry on.

#7    TheKnight

TheKnight

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,755 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:11 AM

Startraveler on Sep 18 2008, 10:54 PM, said:

I just want to point out that "do you support abortion" is a bit of a loaded question. To my knowledge, the vast majority of people who wish to preserve the choice/right and keep abortion from being outlawed still would like to see efforts made to reduce the number of abortions performed. The tricky thing with an issue like this is that it's all but impossible not to frame it in some way when discussing it. Focusing on the act itself, as in the poll question, implicitly tips it toward the anti-abortion crowd because for most pro-choice people (I believe) the issue is much broader than "do you support abortion." It's a matter of privacy, government intruding on a woman's body, and, yes, choice. That said, this is an interesting topic. Carry on.

I noticed this and this reason is part of the reason I made this thread. I noticed that a lot of people who supported abortion, also wanted to see abortion rates going down. I guess I was just shocked because I thought that a lot more people than actually are would be pro-abortion.

#8    norwood1026

norwood1026

Government Agent

• 4,295 posts

• I've found a more personal, pagan kind of religion to satisfy the spiritual side of things.
    Julian Clary

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:12 AM

For me abortion it really depends on the case as far as the death penatly goes IF the person charged with the crime is deemed 100% guilty you better believe it.      However ( this is going to sound a bit harsh) I don't believe that they should sit in a prison for a number of years take em out back & put a bullet in thier head.  Paying taxes for them to sit in prison is crazy just end it right there & then.                  

What is sweeter then mead? Intimate  conversation
WHat is blacker then the Raven?     Death
What is whiter then snow?  Truth.
What is swifter then the wind?   Thought.
What is sharper then the sword?  Understanding.

#9    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:16 AM

The poll is too broad for me to vote. However, I will explain my positions. I am atheist by the way. You said you wanted to know that.

I'm against abortion once the pregnancy has reached the second trimester. The brain activity begins to develop during this period and the fetus thus becomes a child. Once it is a child it has all the legal rights to life as any other person.

I am only for the death penalty in a few specific situations. And even in these cases, there must be DNA evidence.

Edited by BlindMessiah, 19 September 2008 - 06:16 AM.

#10    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:17 AM

Startraveler on Sep 19 2008, 05:54 AM, said:

I just want to point out that "do you support abortion" is a bit of a loaded question. To my knowledge, the vast majority of people who wish to preserve the choice/right and keep abortion from being outlawed still would like to see efforts made to reduce the number of abortions performed.

Granted. There are of course some extreme zealots who don't care.

#11    Omnaka

Omnaka

Omnaka

• 7,064 posts

• Forgive the Body and love the soul, For the soul is Gods Eternal child, your Brother.
    O.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:43 AM

When it is revealed that everything in the physical is a spirit , a living spirit, I think this will change many, many hearts in regard to terminating The miracle of Conscious life at any stage.

Love Omnaka

#12    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:46 AM

I don't think it should be illegal.
I don't think people should do it.
Depends on the 'stage' of the 'baby'.
Depends on the circumstances of the abortion.

Mostly however I do not particularly care or see the big fuss. That may be a bit cold but when grown adults are dying in government/populace condoned wars I could really care less about a collection of cells in a lady's womb.

Disease, Famine, War, etc,....all take back seat to that all important issue of unborn babies. I don't see why.

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#13    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 06:47 AM

~HaParash~ on Sep 19 2008, 01:40 AM, said:

Could you please explain why?

Thanks.

When I go to bed and wake back up. Right now, I am far too tired to explain.

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#14    guitarjosh

guitarjosh

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:12 AM

Against abortion except in the life of the mom. For the death penalty where there is overwhelming evidence.

#15    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 9,143 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 19 September 2008 - 07:48 AM

Interestingly, I would probably be classified as both Pro-choice and Anti-Death Penalty. I don't see them as necessarily conflicting views.

As varied as the poll options might be, however, I think my approval, or otherwise, for abortion is subject to circumstance. Contraception, for example, is essentially pre-emptive abortion, and I'm certainly in favour of that.

The Death penalty, in my opinion , is also subject to circumstance. In general, I'm only in favour when there is absolutely no possible doubt that the person in question committed murder, such as incontrovertible video evidence. Like Norwood, in those cases, I'd also favour a quick death.

So vehement are the Pro-life and Death Penalty campaigners, however, that any deviation from "All Abortion is murder" and "All people convicted of murder must be killed" automatically places you within the opposing camp by default.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users