Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama campaign urging people to watch debate

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    EmpressStarXVII

EmpressStarXVII

Government Agent

• 3,705 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:44 AM

Now now, Caesar. CNN is just about as fair and balanced as Fox News. What's good for the goose innocent.gif...

CNN was used by default for what I would assume to be two reasons; CNN has been around for a long while and respectable. Or what is probably the case, his camp figured that a more liberal leaning news station would shine a heavenly light on him more than the other stations.

Honestly I see no reason why any should pick one station over the other to watch. The only difference is commentary at the end by the pundits. If you're watching a political debate on one channel just to hear what is said afterward, then you need you rethink why you're watching it in the first place.

I did think it helped Obama that he agreed on some of the things McCain said. I think the tally was a total of 8 times. A bit much; but most of it was just tiny little things rather than policy.

Posted Image

#17    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:48 AM

EmpressStarXVII on Sep 28 2008, 10:44 PM, said:

Now now, Caesar. CNN is just about as fair and balanced as Fox News. What's good for the goose innocent.gif...

CNN was used by default for what I would assume to be two reasons; CNN has been around for a long while and respectable. Or what is probably the case, his camp figured that a more liberal leaning news station would shine a heavenly light on him more than the other stations.

Honestly I see no reason why any should pick one station over the other to watch. The only difference is commentary at the end by the pundits. If you're watching a political debate on one channel just to hear what is said afterward, then you need you rethink why you're watching it in the first place.

I did think it helped Obama that he agreed on some of the things McCain said. I think the tally was a total of 8 times. A bit much; but most of it was just tiny little things rather than policy.

EmpressStarXVII how are yeah? I don't watch fox so I cant really say. but how can you say What's good for the goose when you have CBS, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NBC not to mention the NYT, NY Post and thiers only one so called republican biased station

#18    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:01 AM

You might like Fox.. they'll tell you what you wanna hear.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#19    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:09 AM

SilverCougar on Sep 28 2008, 11:01 PM, said:

You might like Fox.. they'll tell you what you wanna hear.

Why do that when I can listen to Rush Limbaugh thumbsup.gif

#20    EmpressStarXVII

EmpressStarXVII

Government Agent

• 3,705 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:10 AM

Caesar on Sep 28 2008, 10:48 PM, said:

EmpressStarXVII how are yeah? I don't watch fox so I cant really say. but how can you say What's good for the goose when you have CBS, MSNBC, CNN, ABC, NBC not to mention the NYT, NY Post and thiers only one so called republican biased station

Just fancy, Dude grin2.gif. How about yourself?

Actually, out of that entire list I find CNN the most moderate. You're right, it is an uneven balance between liberal and conservative media. What I was referring to was if conservatives were asked to watch the debate on Fox than I don't see a problem with liberals being asked to watch it on CNN. I just can't fathom McCain asking people to watch it on any other channel lol. Either way, I still find it a bit silly for reasons mentioned above.

Edited by EmpressStarXVII, 29 September 2008 - 03:10 AM.

Posted Image

#21    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:14 AM

EmpressStarXVII on Sep 28 2008, 11:10 PM, said:

Just fancy, Dude grin2.gif. How about yourself?

Actually, out of that entire list I find CNN the most moderate. You're right, it is an uneven balance between liberal and conservative media. What I was referring to was if conservatives were asked to watch the debate on Fox than I don't see a problem with liberals being asked to watch it on CNN. I just can't fathom McCain asking people to watch it on any other channel lol. Either way, I still find it a bit silly for reasons mentioned above.

ok ok fair enough

#22    InHuman

InHuman

Alien Abducter

• 4,492 posts

• Running on Bravado.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:32 AM

When Bush/Iraq was going on everyone was complaining about the right-wing bias. Now there's a left-wing bias.

There Will Be Brawl
Greatest Webseries Ever

If you carry out a policy that dehumanizes others, in the process you yourself are dehumanized.-Desmond Tutu

#23    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:39 AM

Caesar on Sep 29 2008, 04:09 AM, said:

Why do that when I can listen to Rush Limbaugh thumbsup.gif

It's the same thing really. *shrugs*  Still my case is made.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#24    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:43 AM

SilverCougar on Sep 28 2008, 11:39 PM, said:

It's the same thing really. *shrugs*  Still my case is made.

No its not Rush tells you he is a conservitive and CNN tells you they are unbiased

#25    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 08:10 AM

I fail to see what is wrong with the Obama campaign texting people to watch the debate on what they consider to be the most favorable cable news network. It's their message - they can say whatever they want.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#26    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,290 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:55 AM

Caesar on Sep 28 2008, 11:33 PM, said:

"OXFORD, MS.--I just got this text message on my cell phone--the Obama campaign is urging people to watch the first presidential debate tonight on CNN. Why did the Obama campaign want to endorse one outlet when so many are showing the debate here at the University of Mississippi?

"Watch Barack Obama debate John McCain tonight at 9 p.m. Eastern on CNN," the message said. Also, remind friends to register to vote at VoteforChange.com. Please forward this message."
Source

OK if CNN isn't in the tank for Obama then I guess I could say Rush Limbaugh is main stream. CNN's coverage of the debates was a joke, they claimed that experience didn't matter in thier poll results, but for Palin it was another story. another thing that was odd was when Obama kept saying John was right, they claimed it helped Obama. even the Boston Herald said McCain did better. Chris Matthews thought Obama was unhappy on how he did

Matthews Mad Obama Agreed So Much With McCain

I'm not trying to start another thread on the debate but rather talk about how the media is reporting it. what ever happened to just reporting the news and not telling the viewers what they should think?

Caesar,

Can I just ask if this rant is simply because you are annoyed your party didn't think to take advantage of media exposure so cleverly?

I had a brief look at the VoteforChange.com site and, apart from it being paid for by a pro-Obama group I couldn't find anything trying to influence people's votes on there. It simply seemed to be a data collection site to me - perhaps to help Obama target areas that might be close in the polls. Admittedly I couldn't enter any details as I am not a US citizen, but can someone tell me if it is trying to garner Obama votes or collect data?

In summary, I can't see how what CNN did was pro-Obama? Care to explain???

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#27    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:05 PM

sqlserver on Sep 28 2008, 07:49 PM, said:

You haven't even offered ANY evidence that CNN supports Obama over McCain!

Your crazy Conspiracy theories aside, Polls show what people tend to think in general. They can be a little off, but unfortunately, the polls indicate that Americans have a liberal bias, not CNN.

Honestly, I have no idea where the heck you are trying to go with this, either. Because a CNN poll indicates that "Experience doesn't matter" to Americans, that means it is all a conspiracy and CNN is in with Obama and that Obama is trying to brainwash people by telling them to watch the debate?

When there is empirical proof that Fox News is subliminally suggesting John McCain?

-SQLserver

This statement sounds familier what was it, Oh, right Character doesn't matter.  Now who said that.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#28    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:07 PM

EmpressStarXVII on Sep 28 2008, 09:44 PM, said:

If CNN is so respectable.  How come Fox has all of the watchers in the country.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#29    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 16,290 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 29 September 2008 - 12:26 PM

danielost on Sep 29 2008, 01:07 PM, said:

If CNN is so respectable.  How come Fox has all of the watchers in the country.

We overseas tend to watch CNN for news and FOX for the Simpsons (and Family Guy, Futurama, King of the Hill etc).

Maybe this says something about why Fox is more popular in the US?

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#30    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,295 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:26 PM

Leonardo on Sep 29 2008, 06:26 AM, said:

We overseas tend to watch CNN for news and FOX for the Simpsons (and Family Guy, Futurama, King of the Hill etc).

Maybe this says something about why Fox is more popular in the US?

Dito !

Fox is for pure entertainment value only.  Kinda like wrestling is sports entertainment wink2.gif

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users