Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Obama campaign urging people to watch debate

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,877 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 01:33 PM

danielost on Sep 29 2008, 01:07 PM, said:

If CNN is so respectable.  How come Fox has all of the watchers in the country.

House.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#32    InHuman

InHuman

Alien Abducter

• 4,492 posts

• Running on Bravado.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:21 PM

SilverCougar on Sep 29 2008, 06:33 AM, said:

House.

It's true. That an all the cartoonz.

There Will Be Brawl
Greatest Webseries Ever

If you carry out a policy that dehumanizes others, in the process you yourself are dehumanized.-Desmond Tutu

#33    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:50 PM

Leonardo on Sep 29 2008, 07:26 AM, said:

We overseas tend to watch CNN for news and FOX for the Simpsons (and Family Guy, Futurama, King of the Hill etc).

Maybe this says something about why Fox is more popular in the US?

Last time I checked Fox News didn't carry the Simpsons.  

[Maybe they have to carry it over seas so you can understand the news better.(only joking)]

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#34    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 03:52 PM

The Silver Thong on Sep 29 2008, 08:26 AM, said:

Dito !

Fox is for pure entertainment value only.  Kinda like wrestling is sports entertainment wink2.gif

really Fox isn't the one that had the slow news day and decided to tell us how to get Pandas in the mood for sex.  That was CNN.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#35    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

danielost on Sep 29 2008, 01:07 PM, said:

The Ratings Mirage

Just found this. Admittedly, it's from 2004 so figures may have changed, but it's still educational on what 'ratings' really are.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#36    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:05 PM

Leonardo on Sep 29 2008, 11:01 AM, said:

The Ratings Mirage

Just found this. Admittedly, it's from 2004 so figures may have changed, but it's still educational on what 'ratings' really are.

which means that if I turn on CNN for six minutes and then go and watch fox for 30 minutes and flip back for six minutes that CNN just had two viewers while Fox had one.  The same person of course.

#37    EmpressStarXVII

EmpressStarXVII

Government Agent

• 3,705 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:14 PM

danielost on Sep 29 2008, 08:07 AM, said:

Pretty graphics, dramatic music to breaking news every five minutes. It keeps our attention wink2.gif.

Posted Image

#38    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,410 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:23 PM

danielost on Sep 29 2008, 05:05 PM, said:

which means that if I turn on CNN for six minutes and then go and watch fox for 30 minutes and flip back for six minutes that CNN just had two viewers while Fox had one.  The same person of course.

See, analysing tv viewing isn't quite so clean and easy as you would make it out to be. You sit down in front of the tv for 30 mins while Fox News is on. How much of it are you actually 'watching'? You flick on CNN for 6 minutes to catch a news item you know will be on regularly as a short broadcast. You watch that 6 minute broadcast intently because it's something you specifically turned the tv on to watch.

Of course, it's not always like that - but often it is. Long-term viewers don't tend to be 'switched on' to what they are watching for the entire period the tv is on. Still, those ads are playing - beaming their little messages straight into your subconscious mind, and far more effectively when you are 'switched off' as the ads then act almost subliminally.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#39    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,279 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:31 AM

Caesar on Sep 28 2008, 10:43 PM, said:

No its not Rush tells you he is a conservitive and CNN tells you they are unbiased

You do know you are comparing a conservative entertainment show versus and entire news organization? It's like using Jerry Springer as your news source. Even the Daily Show or Stephen Colbert has more news. If your window to the world is that gasbag then you are missing out on most of what goes on in the world. It would explain a lot of your posts.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#40    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:39 AM

ninjadude on Sep 30 2008, 12:31 AM, said:

You do know you are comparing a conservative entertainment show versus and entire news organization? It's like using Jerry Springer as your news source. Even the Daily Show or Stephen Colbert has more news. If your window to the world is that gasbag then you are missing out on most of what goes on in the world. It would explain a lot of your posts.

I thought you would have the common sense to get what I was talking about but I guess I was wrong. I'm talking about the elections and political coverage. the stuff the mainstream media doesn't cover.

#41    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,279 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:29 AM

Caesar on Sep 29 2008, 11:39 PM, said:

I thought you would have the common sense to get what I was talking about but I guess I was wrong. I'm talking about the elections and political coverage. the stuff the mainstream media doesn't cover.

Okkaaay. I read a number of what you would call "liberal" blogs for the same purpose. But you and I have to realize that these outlets (including rush) are heavily slanted and must also go to the MSM for election and political "coverage" as well. Otherwise we are only getting a slanted part of the picture.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#42    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 01 October 2008 - 02:58 AM

ninjadude on Sep 30 2008, 01:29 AM, said:

Okkaaay. I read a number of what you would call "liberal" blogs for the same purpose. But you and I have to realize that these outlets (including rush) are heavily slanted and must also go to the MSM for election and political "coverage" as well. Otherwise we are only getting a slanted part of the picture.

Rush is not the media, he is a republican, he says so. you don't hear this from CNN

#43    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,279 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 03:20 AM

Caesar on Sep 30 2008, 09:58 PM, said:

Rush is not the media, he is a republican, he says so. you don't hear this from CNN

Of course not so they can report the news honestly.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

#44    Caesar

Caesar

Alien Abducter

• 4,623 posts

• Semper Fidelis

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:01 AM

ninjadude on Sep 30 2008, 11:20 PM, said:

Of course not so they can report the news honestly.

Yeah its the part that the mainstream doesn't cover about 13.5 million listeners

#45    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 01 October 2008 - 04:38 AM

who cares about ratings ??? here is what is more important.

Fox news viewers were found very uninformed compared to those who watched MSNBC , CNN ,..... ect... who came up the most informed ? those who watched the Daily Show with John Stewart !

2 different studies but here is the link for one.

April 15, 2007
Public Knowledge of Current Affairs Little Changed by News and Information Revolutions
What Americans Know: 1989-2007

SURVEY: Daily Show/Colbert Viewers Most Knowledgable, Fox News Viewers Rank Lowest»

A new study by the Pew Research Study shows that viewers of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report have the highest knowledge of national and international affairs, while Fox News viewers rank nearly dead last:

[attachment=46387:pewtv.GIF]

Despite significant technology shifts, however, Pew found that “today’s citizens are about as able to name their leaders, and are about as aware of major news events, as was the public nearly 20 years ago.”

The results about Fox News echo findings of previous surveys. In 2003, University of Maryland researchers studied the public’s belief in three false claims — that Iraq possessed WMD, that Iraq was involved in 9/11, and that there was international support for the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq.

The researchers stated, “The extent of Americans’ misperceptions vary significantly depending on their source of news. Those who receive most of their news from Fox News are more likely than average to have misperceptions.” Fox News viewers were “three times more likely than the next nearest network to hold all three misperceptions.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/04/16/daily-...-fox-knowledge/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users