Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

AOL Straw Poll shows commanding McCain lead

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:36 PM

This poll is completely unscientific. For one thing, as Fluffybunny pointed out, it's a self-selecting group; the only people who vote in it are those people who visit the AOL website and bother to pay attention to AOL straw polls. That's not exactly representative of the whole population, now is it? That's why real pollsters actually use randomly drawn samples of sufficient size in order to get an accurate representation of the populace's views.

This reminds me of when Ron Paul supporters would tout that Ron Paul "won" the debates based off of self-selecting online "polls" like this.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#17    Whangarei

Whangarei

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

• "Don't be sorry, just improve."

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:43 PM

There is no way McCain is winning this election.  Unless Palin blows the socks off of Biden in a debate,  which you know I wouldn't be surprised if it happened,  that would be truly interesting from a historical perspective.  huh.gif  But unless that happens there is no way McCain is going to win.  Barr would win before McCain does.  And interestingly, Gore won the popular vote, so I don't know why they keep polling the popular vote as if its an indication of who is going to win.  rolleyes.gif

Tennessee would be a better indication than all of this.  Interestingly Tennessee has voted for nearly every candidate that won the election.  And more interesting is that they didn't vote for Gore,  even though he was from there!  Here are some other ways of predicting the winner!  laugh.gif

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blpredict.htm

http://www.maddogproductions.com/ds_election2004.htm

Seek peace, and pursue it.
http://nl.youtube.co...feature=related

#18    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 17,644 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 04:47 PM

If I may add...you don't have to look on a website for the poll if your server is AOL. It has been on their main page for months.

For the record, I don't put a lot of stock in polls, but isn't AOL one of the largest servers in the world?

Edited by Michelle, 29 September 2008 - 04:47 PM.

#19    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 17,644 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:00 PM

Whangarei on Sep 29 2008, 05:43 PM, said:

Tennessee would be a better indication than all of this.  Interestingly Tennessee has voted for nearly every candidate that won the election.  And more interesting is that they didn't vote for Gore,  even though he was from there!  Here are some other ways of predicting the winner!  laugh.gif

http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blpredict.htm

http://www.maddogproductions.com/ds_election2004.htm

Being from Tennessee I'm proud of the fact that we didn't vote for someone just because he is from here. laugh.gif

#20    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

Guardsman Bass on Sep 29 2008, 04:36 PM, said:

This poll is completely unscientific. For one thing, as Fluffybunny pointed out, it's a self-selecting group; the only people who vote in it are those people who visit the AOL website and bother to pay attention to AOL straw polls. That's not exactly representative of the whole population, now is it? That's why real pollsters actually use randomly drawn samples of sufficient size in order to get an accurate representation of the populace's views.

This reminds me of when Ron Paul supporters would tout that Ron Paul "won" the debates based off of self-selecting online "polls" like this.

No, Ron Paul "won" the debate via the hosting news channel counting via text. Ron Paul received more text. This simply says that Ron Paul supports are more likely to text CNN, Fox News etc after debates than the average person.

In fact, I quote Sean Hannity, "I don't care what our poll says, Ron Paul didn't win that debate." This is following the Fox News debates for the republican primaries.

Edited by BlindMessiah, 29 September 2008 - 05:48 PM.

#21    twpdyp

twpdyp

GOP for Life

• 2,448 posts

• The first step in any self improvement program is to admit there is room for improvement.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

This is ridiculous. In order to believe this poll is accurate, then ya gotta believe Obama's own state, Illinois, is voting for McCain. LOL. This poll is a waste of time.

I am from Illinois and I would not vote for Obama no way no how. If he were the only candidate I simply would not vote.....

As we go through this life reaching, striving, and straining for life's brass ring, has any of us ever stopped to wonder just who is running the Merry-Go-Round?
You must play the hand that life deals you, if you dealt the hand to yourself you must play that hand silently .

#22    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,188 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:50 PM

Michelle on Sep 29 2008, 07:47 PM, said:

If I may add...you don't have to look on a website for the poll if your server is AOL. It has been on their main page for months.

For the record, I don't put a lot of stock in polls, but isn't AOL one of the largest servers in the world?

Where everybody, concerned or not, can vote... very "scientific" and easy to manipulate, all you have to do is delete the AOL cookie and vote again....

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#23    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 17,644 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:02 PM

questionmark on Sep 29 2008, 06:50 PM, said:

Where everybody, concerned or not, can vote... very "scientific" and easy to manipulate, all you have to do is delete the AOL cookie and vote again....

Okay, so shoot me....I'm not a computer geek. grin2.gif

#24    libertyworld

libertyworld

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:41 PM

Never claimed it was scientific or perfect or the last word.
On the contraty, I acknowledged such things right off.
Just different in some ways than most conventional polls.
And (I think) more democrats are online and use AOL than repubs anyway.
Just an interesting addition to the mix, and interesting as always to see how UM'ers respond.

Stand For Goodness

#25    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:59 PM

BlindMessiah on Sep 29 2008, 11:46 AM, said:

No, Ron Paul "won" the debate via the hosting news channel counting via text. Ron Paul received more text. This simply says that Ron Paul supports are more likely to text CNN, Fox News etc after debates than the average person.

Either way, it is still a self-selecting group; only those people who could be arsed to actually text in their vote were counted, and they aren't exactly representative of the whole population.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#26    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:21 PM

Guardsman Bass on Sep 29 2008, 07:59 PM, said:

Either way, it is still a self-selecting group; only those people who could be arsed to actually text in their vote were counted, and they aren't exactly representative of the whole population.

It isn't self-selecting. It's a very stupid polling method. For example, on the debate last night, Fox hosted and McCain won 84% due to Fox news have conservative viewers. Same would happen on a MSNBC hosted debate for Obama. It's clearly a defective method, but that isn't the fault of Ron Paul supporters.

#27    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:47 AM

twpdyp on Sep 29 2008, 01:50 PM, said:

I am from Illinois and I would not vote for Obama no way no how. If he were the only candidate I simply would not vote.....

And your personal info, "GOP For Life," makes that apparent. But the reality is that most - not all - candidates win their home state, especially when their home state typically votes for their party in the first place.

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#28    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:14 AM

BlindMessiah on Sep 29 2008, 05:21 PM, said:

It isn't self-selecting. It's a very stupid polling method. For example, on the debate last night, Fox hosted and McCain won 84% due to Fox news have conservative viewers. Same would happen on a MSNBC hosted debate for Obama. It's clearly a defective method, but that isn't the fault of Ron Paul supporters.

That's what self-selecting bias is - when the sample chooses to be sampled, as opposed to being randomly drawn. Presumably, that's the case in this, since the Ron Paul supporters chose to text in.

#29    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:41 AM

Ever read the book "How to Lie With Statistics"?

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

#30    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:15 AM

MasterPo on Sep 30 2008, 01:41 AM, said:

Ever read the book "How to Lie With Statistics"?

Only 22% of Americans have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users