Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Electoral colledge

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Stop the electoral colledge? (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think we need the electoral Colledge

1. Yes (5 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

2. No (14 votes [60.87%])

Percentage of vote: 60.87%

3. Let wall street figure it out (1 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

4. I don't know (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Let those in power decide who should be the next president (3 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 06:22 AM

ohio traveler on Oct 1 2008, 04:49 PM, said:

I agree.  It also helps prevent candidates from promising things to the populated areas of the country while thumbing their nose at rural areas.

Long live the Electoral College

As I said, though, you could make the counter-argument that the President, as an elected representative of the people, ought to pay more attention to the cities and their suburban cohorts, since that's where most of the population lives, and where their concerns lie. The real issue is the across-the-board winner-takes-all system, since it requires distortions like the Electoral College to keep certain groups of voters from being ignored due to their size and location.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#17    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 07:22 AM

I can't believe 52.94% voted for abolishing the system. Do those who voted for abolishing it even understand it or its purpose?

#18    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:35 AM

ohio traveler on Oct 1 2008, 06:49 PM, said:

I agree.  It also helps prevent candidates from promising things to the populated areas of the country while thumbing their nose at rural areas.

Long live the Electoral College

If we discontinued the EC, Democrats would almost always win. Sometimes I like that idea - like in the 2000 election. In the 2004 election, well, I think if the EC was banished, more people not registered to vote would get registered and Democrats would prevail. But that isn't always a good thing. The 80s, I feel, needed someone like Reagan. So, while I'm pretty liberal, I think Republicans can be a good thing at times.

Edited by IrishLexie, 02 October 2008 - 08:35 AM.

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#19    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 09:38 AM

IrishLexie on Oct 2 2008, 08:35 AM, said:

If we discontinued the EC, Democrats would almost always win. Sometimes I like that idea - like in the 2000 election. In the 2004 election, well, I think if the EC was banished, more people not registered to vote would get registered and Democrats would prevail. But that isn't always a good thing. The 80s, I feel, needed someone like Reagan. So, while I'm pretty liberal, I think Republicans can be a good thing at times.

This has nothing to do with republicans and democrats. Also, Bush did win popular vote in '04. Hypothetical theories about what the masses would have done if a system they don't understand is abolished is pointless.

#20    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:01 AM

BlindMessiah on Oct 2 2008, 05:38 AM, said:

This has nothing to do with republicans and democrats. Also, Bush did win popular vote in '04. Hypothetical theories about what the masses would have done if a system they don't understand is abolished is pointless.

What I said has everything to do with Republicans and Democrats. And I didn't say Bush won the popular in '04. And politics oftentimes is hypothetical this or that. I was giving an opinion. Of all persuasions, I would have thought the libertarian would support that right. Who kneeww.

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#21    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:07 AM

IrishLexie on Oct 2 2008, 10:01 AM, said:

What I said has everything to do with Republicans and Democrats. And I didn't say Bush won the popular in '04. And politics oftentimes is hypothetical this or that. I was giving an opinion. Of all persuasions, I would have thought the libertarian would support that right. Who kneeww.

I don't think the electoral college has anything to do with republicans or democrats because it was around long before them. I also didn't say you couldn't give your opinion. I simply gave my opinion of your opinion. As far as I can see we both had the liberty to say what we wanted.

#22    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• 1,681 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

BlindMessiah on Oct 2 2008, 06:07 AM, said:

I don't think the electoral college has anything to do with republicans or democrats because it was around long before them. I also didn't say you couldn't give your opinion. I simply gave my opinion of your opinion. As far as I can see we both had the liberty to say what we wanted.

Republicans and Democrats have everything to do with what I said! Not the EC specifically, but elections in general. I mean, we all know that no third party candidate has a prayer to win a national election - sadly.

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

#23    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,405 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

Guardsman Bass on Oct 1 2008, 10:53 PM, said:

How would that work with the Presidency, though? Most of the other systems that do have coalition governments usually have weak Presidents who mainly serve as ceremonial Heads of State while the Prime Ministers (picked by the parties who form the coalition) hold all the real power. That doesn't exactly fit well in the framework of the Constitution.

Well, it begs the question whether your President should have the power he or she currently holds. Look at how open to abuse this is. Representative power in politics should include checks and balances and the Parliamentary system is, I believe, a better system in this regard than the Presidential one. It is still subject to abuse, of course - just witness Toothpaste Tony Blair  angry.gif

As for the Constitution, which system is a better representation of the people? This, in it's essence, is what the Constitution decrees a Government should be.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#24    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:07 AM

BlindMessiah on Oct 2 2008, 03:22 AM, said:

I can't believe 52.94% voted for abolishing the system. Do those who voted for abolishing it even understand it or its purpose?

Probably not.  no.gif

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

#25    Guardsman Bass

Guardsman Bass

Poltergeist

• 2,222 posts

• Don't spam me, but feel free to drop a line.

Posted 03 October 2008 - 04:42 AM

IrishLexie on Oct 2 2008, 02:35 AM, said:

I think, rather, than the parties' positions would shift leftward, since most of the urban areas tend to be more liberal than rural areas, and urban areas would be getting a lot more attention in a popular vote system. You could still have a strong conservative influence, though, in Congress, and President could potentially run with the "Insurgency" strategy I described in my earlier post, where he/she wins by running a bunch of grassroots campaigns grabbing votes from all over the US without necessarily getting a majority in most states.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours." -Sir Charles Napier

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted."   D.H. Lawrence

#26    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 10:53 AM

I've always thought it should be one person one vote.  although it looks like the electoral collage as well as popular ( not by much of a margin but enough) will go to Obama , I still say one person one vote.

as of yesterday Obama 338    McCain 185    Ties 15 points

Obama is likely ahead in enough states right now to get 270 electoral votes.

Obama is leading McCain 51-43 in Florida, 50-42 in Ohio, and 54-39 in Pennsylvania, according to a new Quinnipiac University poll released today.

There is some evidence that voters believe Obama has been a steadier hand in this crisis than McCain, including our latest ABC News/Washington Post poll, which found the Democratic presidential candidate has a 14-point lead over McCain in trust to handle the economy.

The second reason for Obama's lead is the first presidential debate held last Friday in Mississippi. Most polls show that Obama won the debate.

Other polls in Florida confirm a lead for Obama, including a Suffolk University poll of Florida voters showing Obama leading McCain 46-42.

Time/CNN has another poll out today that has Obama leading McCain 51-47 in Florida, 54 - 43 in Minnesota, 49 -48 in Missouri, 51-47 in Nevada, and a stunning nine percentage point lead in Virginia of 53 to 44.

However neither campaign believes that Obama has that kind of a lead in Virginia right now.
But both campaigns see a shift in these key battleground states toward Obama.

National Polls

There are ten national polls to report today! Obama leads them all. Here they are.
    - Battleground (Obama +2)
    - CBS (Obama +9)
    - Diageo (Obama +5)
    - Gallup (Obama +4)
    - GfK/Roper (Obama +7)
    - Ipsos (Obama +3)
    - Opinion Research (Obama +7)
    - Pew (Obama +6)
    - Rasmussen (Obama +6)
    - Research 2000 (Obama +10)

still, a month away.........................

#27    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

MasterPo on Oct 2 2008, 08:07 PM, said:

Probably not.  no.gif

QUOTE (BlindMessiah @ Oct 2 2008, 03:22 AM) *

why not ?? a vote is a vote. if the government is for and by the people why should one area of votes be worth more than another ? if the majority of voters vote one way that is the way it should go.

if the electoral vote is to balance between populated and rural areas why don't more politicians spend time in Montana ? instead they stump in states with more electoral votes.  same difference as if there were no electoral process.

plenty of solid argument out there against the electorate collage. like maybe more people would actually vote. Maybe 3rd parties would have a better chance.

Edited by Lt_Ripley, 03 October 2008 - 11:17 AM.

#28    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:11 AM

Lt_Ripley on Oct 3 2008, 11:07 AM, said:

QUOTE (BlindMessiah @ Oct 2 2008, 03:22 AM) *

why not ?? a vote is a vote. if the government is for and by the people why should one area of votes be worth more than another ? if the majority of voters vote one way that is the way it should go.

Do you want to abolish the senate as well?

#29    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:19 AM

BlindMessiah on Oct 3 2008, 07:11 AM, said:

Do you want to abolish the senate as well?

the senate isn't the presidency. popular vote works there.

#30    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:20 AM

Lt_Ripley on Oct 3 2008, 11:19 AM, said:

the senate isn't the presidency. popular vote works there.

Hmm? You didn't answer the question. Do you want to remove the senate and only leave the congress to settle legislative issues?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users