Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Michelle Obama .... Racist?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:51 PM

Well it looks like the information circling the web about Michelle Obama's thesis is true ....

Here check out the link

Michlle Obama Thesis / Snopes

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#2    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,736 posts

• "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" (Freud )

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:24 PM

Nxt2Hvn on Sep 30 2008, 08:51 AM, said:

Well it looks like the information circling the web about Michelle Obama's thesis is true ....

Here check out the link

Hvn, without reading the thesis itself  in its entirety one cant make this determination..or would.....  because some who knows who on 'snopes' says this doesn't make it fact  hon...

#3    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,077 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:38 PM

Would she write the same thing today

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#4    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,040 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:11 PM

Nxt2Hvn on Sep 30 2008, 04:51 PM, said:

Here check out the link

Sheri has a valid point regarding not being able to read the thesis in it's entirety so any judgement on whether the content of it amounts to racism must be held in abeyance. However, from reading the snippets on the Snopes site I would say it does not appear to be racist in any way, but seems to be dealing with questions of integration (on both sides of the divide) and could be considered controversial.

From the last chapter and knowing the propensity of out-of-context quotes being used in political campaigns as part of dirty tactics I can see why the thesis would be made unavailable.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#5    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:32 PM

Okaaay.... here is the thesis in it's entirity.  

Here is a PDF version of it.

Michelle Obama's Thesis

and here is the site I got it from.

Link/Source

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#6    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,736 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:36 PM

Leonardo on Sep 30 2008, 10:11 AM, said:

Sheri has a valid point regarding not being able to read the thesis in it's entirety so any judgement on whether the content of it amounts to racism must be held in abeyance. However, from reading the snippets on the Snopes site I would say it does not appear to be racist in any way, but seems to be dealing with questions of integration (on both sides of the divide) and could be considered controversial.

From the last chapter and knowing the propensity of out-of-context quotes being used in political campaigns as part of dirty tactics I can see why the thesis would be made unavailable.

leo, your posts are lyrical to me.... its like listening to  Chopin for me reading you... wub.gif

great point, not to  mention Princeton 25 years ago probably  was predominately white  as the article said....She was also a young college student who  was sharing of her experiences a the time..i also did not see anything remotely racist based on the snippets provided.....

to attend an ivy league here in the US for anyone says alot  for you....and speaks volumes to me ..

Edited by Tangerine Sheri, 30 September 2008 - 05:39 PM.

#7    Whangarei

Whangarei

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 685 posts

• "Don't be sorry, just improve."

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:39 PM

I agree,  this means nothing.  More scare tactics.  Anyone with half a brain can see Michelle Obama is an intelligent well spoken driven lady.  I can't wait until she's first lady!!!

Seek peace, and pursue it.
http://nl.youtube.co...feature=related

#8    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,040 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:14 PM

Nxt2Hvn on Sep 30 2008, 06:32 PM, said:

Michelle Obama's Thesis

Link/Source

Interesting!

And I feel it is remarkably shallow and she misses out on addressing some critical points which would undermine her argument.

I'd like to stress I have only skimmed the thesis, so I may have missed some details, but it doesn't appear to me to be indicative of any underlying racism, but it does indicate the author has a very heightened sense of the separation of races. This could also be in part down to the academics which have influenced her; academics I wholeheartedly disagree with in their theory of integration.

Take this from Carmichael and Hamilton, from her thesis...

The concept of Black Power rests on
the fundamental premise: Before a
group can enter the open society, it
must close ranks. By this we mean
that group solidarity is necessary
before a group can operate effectively
from a bargaining position of strength
in a pluralistic society.

What complete and utter rubbish!

Closing ranks will only heighten a groups' sense of difference in a society, thus preventing (or at least prolonging) any attempt at successful integration.

Michelle Obama really should have reasoned why there is this sense of loss of their previous community by those black people who integrated into pluralistic society by identifying the separation of that previous community. She sees those blacks who lost the sense of wanting to contribute to 'Black Society' as then contributing to 'White Society' - sorry, Michelle, but I would have failed you for this assumption alone. Why assume the society outside 'Black Society' must be 'White'? It is the pluralistic society those black people now devote their contribution to.

I don't see Michelle Obama as a racist, Nxt2Hvn, based on this...but certainly a whinger!

PS: I also saw lots of grammatical and spelling errors. Shame!!!!

Edited by Leonardo, 30 September 2008 - 06:15 PM.

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

#9    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,040 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:20 PM

Tangerine Sheri on Sep 30 2008, 06:36 PM, said:

leo, your posts are lyrical to me.... its like listening to  Chopin for me reading you... wub.gif

blush.gif

Such a compliment! I am humbled by such a comparison. Thank you, Sheri!

*don't stop the compliments though*

tongue.gif

#10    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:24 PM

I forgot to mention that she actually asked Princeton not to release her thesis to the public until after the election.  That is really what brough attention to this ... so from what I see, is that she thought the general public would read "racism" into the thesis.

I don't know what I actually think about it yet ... still mulling it over ...

I posted for everyone else to be able to read it and come to their own conclusions.

#11    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 21,736 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:21 PM

Just in reading what  I have  read so far... it is clear to me she is looking at how attitudes affect experiences and  how it seems she is set up a study  to  see if its attitude that  perpetuates division and how can that be changed........

i so see this so far as a exploration in sociology and its effects  and outcomes and how can  it be changed if it can be....

if anything she was considering how to bridge  the gap between the black and white alumni, through understanding and  social responsibility...

If anything i see this as very positive and optimistic thesis ...

the reader will bring their own biases to the evaluation that has to be accounted for and figured in also .... IMO

Edited by Tangerine Sheri, 30 September 2008 - 07:22 PM.

#12    fylgja

fylgja

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:39 PM

I think what she said was true to some extent, but I am unable to read the entire thesis, so what's the big deal?

#13    Bill Hill

Bill Hill

Marshal Law

• 9,938 posts

• If I had my own world
    I'd build you an empire
    From here to the far lands
    To spread love like violence

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:46 AM

Having read her thesis...I've come to the conclusion (during that time of her life) you couldn't really win with her.
If you were white and nasty, you're racist. If you were nice to her.. it's only to hide your racism.
That kind of mentality.
Whether it's a sign of those times and now she's changed, I don't know..

Edited by Bill Hill, 01 October 2008 - 06:48 AM.

Posted Image
Something in your heart, feel like someThing nEw.

#14    IrishAidan07

IrishAidan07

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,681 posts

• If you can't describe what you are doing as a process, you don't know what you're doing.

Posted 01 October 2008 - 06:53 AM

Nxt2Hvn on Sep 30 2008, 01:32 PM, said:

Michelle Obama's Thesis

Link/Source

Amazing what following links will do for people, huh? LOL. I found the entire thesis within 45 seconds of opening the Snopes link.

"There is not a Liberal America, a Conservative America, a Red America or Blue America, there is the United States of America." ~ Barack Obama

Posted Image

~~Irish~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users