Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Another Tall Tale?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Nxt2Hvn

Nxt2Hvn

Alien Abducter

• 5,082 posts

• 'For we walk by faith, not by sight.' II Corinthians 5:7

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

Fact Check: Biden's Chopper Was 'Forced Down' by Snowflakes

WASHINGTON —  When Joe Biden tells voters he understands the threat posed by Afghan extremists, he dramatically illustrates one reason why: His helicopter was "forced down" on "the superhighway of terror." Actually, snow, not the enemy, persuaded the helicopter pilot to land and wait out a storm.

The Democratic vice presidential candidate has repeatedly left that part out, in an episode that Republicans hope will become an echo of Hillary Rodham Clinton's errant tale during the primaries of landing in Bosnia under sniper fire.

Biden has made a number of questionable statements recently that, viewed in isolation, might not amount to much. But this is a man whose first presidential campaign collapsed 20 years ago after he told a story about coal miners in his family that he lifted without credit from a British politician.

Another Tall Tale? Biden Says He Was 'Shot At' in Iraq

For complete campaign '08 coverage visit America's Election HQ

In a recent speech in Virginia coal country, Biden seemed to embellish his background once again. He declared, "I am a hard coal miner," which he's not and never has been. His spokesman, David Wade, said Biden was joking.

And looking back on his 1972 Senate campaign, he told Pennsylvania delegates at the Democratic convention that people from his hometown of Scranton, Pa., piled in up to 10 buses and drove to Wilmington, Del., to show him support. "Literally," he said, "there were hundreds of thousands of people."

THE HELICOPTER SPIN

In a Baltimore speech last week, Biden said: "If you want to know where Al Qaeda lives, you want to know where (Usama) bin Laden is, come back to Afghanistan with me. Come back to the area where my helicopter was forced down with a three-star general and three senators at 10,500 feet in the middle of those mountains. I can tell you where they are."

Two days later, in Cincinnati, he said Al Qaeda has re-established a safe haven and it's not in Baghdad. "It's in the mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan," he said, "where my helicopter was recently forced down."

At a Sept. 9, fundraiser, Biden addressed his national security credentials by talking about "the superhighway of terror between Pakistan and Afghanistan where my helicopter was forced down. John McCain wants to know where bin Laden and the gates of Hell are? I can tell him where. That's where Al Qaida is. That's where bin Laden is."

THE FACTS: In February, Biden and fellow senators John Kerry and Chuck Hagel were flying in a helicopter over Afghanistan in a fact-finding trip when a snowstorm closed in.

"It went pretty blind, pretty fast and we were around some pretty dangerous ridges," Kerry told The Associated Press afterward. "So the pilot exercised his judgment that we were better off putting down there, and we all agreed."

He said the group waited for about three hours until a convoy with U.S. troops took them to Bagram Air Base.

"We sat up there and traded stories," Kerry joked. "We were going to send Biden out to fight the Taliban with snowballs, but we didn't have to do it."

He added: "Other than getting a little cold, it was fine."

FULL STORY HERE --- (yes there's more)

I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin. ~anonymous~

#2    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 15,583 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:26 PM

Nxt2Hvn on Oct 2 2008, 02:04 PM, said:

THE HELICOPTER SPIN

In a Baltimore speech last week, Biden said: "If you want to know where Al Qaeda lives, you want to know where (Usama) bin Laden is, come back to Afghanistan with me. Come back to the area where my helicopter was forced down with a three-star general and three senators at 10,500 feet in the middle of those mountains. I can tell you where they are."

Two days later, in Cincinnati, he said Al Qaeda has re-established a safe haven and it's not in Baghdad. "It's in the mountains between Afghanistan and Pakistan," he said, "where my helicopter was recently forced down."

At a Sept. 9, fundraiser, Biden addressed his national security credentials by talking about "the superhighway of terror between Pakistan and Afghanistan where my helicopter was forced down. John McCain wants to know where bin Laden and the gates of Hell are? I can tell him where. That's where Al Qaida is. That's where bin Laden is."

While I don't wish to sound as if I endorse Biden, Nxt2Hvn, the addition of "shot down" to what Biden said appears to be a misquote. He rightly says the helicopter was forced down, being forced to land due to bad weather is being forced down, and he states his opinion that the mountainous area in which it was forced down (not the immediate vicinity) is the likely hiding place of bin Laden.

The misquoting and contextual mangling of what Biden said sounds suspiciously like politicking by FOX reporters/producers to me.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#3    louie

louie

Alien Abducter

• 4,844 posts

• The greatest sceptics are normally the biggest sheep. Anon

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:30 PM

Im sure he was shot at, but Prince Harry dived in front of him blocking the bullet thus saving Binden Harrys brother in arms, comarades on the front line serving thier country,fightin a godless enemy, Cuts to harry taking his last breath in the arms of Biden, to Binden screaming to heaven NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

www.tmblive.com
If you dont know what it is, it must be art.

#4    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 30,341 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

Leonardo on Oct 2 2008, 09:26 AM, said:

While I don't wish to sound as if I endorse Biden, Nxt2Hvn, the addition of "shot down" to what Biden said appears to be a misquote. He rightly says the helicopter was forced down, being forced to land due to bad weather is being forced down, and he states his opinion that the mountainous area in which it was forced down (not the immediate vicinity) is the likely hiding place of bin Laden.

The misquoting and contextual mangling of what Biden said sounds suspiciously like politicking by FOX reporters/producers to me.

It seems that he gets misquoted a lot by the people who want him to win.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#5    goalienan

goalienan

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,166 posts

• you can't scare me...I have grandchildren..

Posted 02 October 2008 - 03:40 PM

Aww, but to the simple layman by Biden stating that he" understands the threat posed by Afghan extremeists" and then follows with the statement that 'the helicopter was forced down on the superhghway of terror" makes one think that they were in danger, not in the middle of a snowstorm..I only know what I've read so far about him and it's been hit and miss, so tonight should be interesting.. original.gif

Posted Image

.......DON'T GO THROUGH LIFE WITHOUT GOALS.........

#6    MasterPo

MasterPo

Alien Abducter

• 4,975 posts

• So sue me....

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:15 AM

Biden has a long history of plagerizing other people's speeches and experiences.

The Po File - As told to MasterPo by MasterPo

Have the courage to read it.

#7    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 03 October 2008 - 12:32 AM

louie on Oct 2 2008, 09:30 AM, said:

Im sure he was shot at, but Prince Harry dived in front of him blocking the bullet thus saving Binden Harrys brother in arms, comarades on the front line serving thier country,fightin a godless enemy, Cuts to harry taking his last breath in the arms of Biden, to Binden screaming to heaven NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

LMFAO! laugh.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#8    Lt_Ripley

Lt_Ripley

Forum Divinity

• Banned
  • 20,036 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

if you were in a building where shots were going off or 'projectile' landed what would you call it. ?  they were shooting at moose in Alaska ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users