Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

determinism / fatalism / predestination

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    longlongago

longlongago

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 04:11 PM

any supporters for these systems ..

who agree on the futility of  FREEWILL

and seem to accept  that  we are living a preordained life

''  ..  at last i began to think ,  that is to say  to listen harder  ''

#2    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:54 AM

I could never grasp the idea of a preordained life. I see this concept put into practice with such things as the Caste systems in India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Pakistan.

I can't see anything I observe that would indicate that this is the case. If everything was preordained then why would I get enjoyment out of doing things regardless if they have a purpose or not?

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

#3    Wootloops

Wootloops

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

• Life... it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:14 AM

Well given the futility of free will, determinism seems the only logical route to take. Determinism just means that a causal chain has led us to this moment. Within determinism, predestination is entirely possible, and fate goes along with determinism because everything that you will ever do is your fate. Someone could have predestined everything, but regardless of that determinism applies, and regardless of whether the Universe was predestined, you still have a fate. Determinism just says that what happened led to what is happening and what is happening will lead to what will happen.

Edited by Wootloops, 03 October 2008 - 06:15 AM.

Posted Image

#4    Chauncy

Chauncy

Quixotic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

• "Sanity may be madness but the maddest of all is to see life as it is and not as it should be." (from) Don Quixote

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:19 AM

Wootloops on Oct 3 2008, 06:14 AM, said:

Determinism just says that what happened led to what is happening and what is happening will lead to what will happen.

Where ever you go , thats where you are.

I dig it.....everything is as a result of what happened prior to....action then reaction so on and so forth. This is what we observe routinely.

As long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost and science can never regress.
Julius Robert Oppenheimer. (1904-1967)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users