Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

future evolution?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    disturbed_bassist

disturbed_bassist

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 03:28 PM

A friend of mine recently introduced me to an interesting theory,  the theory is that man millions of years from now be a brain simply surrounded by fat.. the reasoning for this is dependance on software and hardware that as time goes on is only increasing exponentially.  being a brain inside a robotic body controlled by state of art software might not be too bad!

seeming though we can now use GE to do whatever the hell we want this theory seems daft to me but at least its humorous!

#2    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 19 March 2004 - 04:54 PM

daft? yep

Evolution relies on passing on more successful genetic traites to the next generation. This animals with these traites have advatages over other of their species they will live longer and some have a larger chance of producing young. Given a few thousand/million years these traites are spread throughout all members of the species. Enough changes to make the animal gentically different from the original make it a new species.

Humans no longer follow this rule, even the weakest of our species can now live long lives and breed. The same genetic material in this gernation will be in the next and the next and the next. Traites which give someone an advantage have no ability to give its carrier the advantage over the others to produce more children.

Even if we have new technologies there is no reason how any chain of genetic mutations which would turn us into brains surrounded by fat would spread throughout the species considering, if anything, it is disadvantagous compared to our current forms.

The fact is medicine has killed of survival of the fittest in our species, evolution for humans will no longer happen in our current society. However what could be happening is all these surviving gentic weaknesses are spreading and building up a time bomb of gentic problems for the furture.

Indeed your friends argument is 'daft'  tongue.gif  grin2.gif  

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#3    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:38 PM

However what could be happening is all these surviving gentic weaknesses are spreading and building up a time bomb of gentic problems for the furture.

... I think we should ban the use of medicines to protect human genes.. heck.. maybe those <insert a cult name here> are correct  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  

#4    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 05:55 PM

... I think we should ban the use of medicines to protect human genes.. heck.. maybe those <insert a cult name here> are correct

Hardly, banning the use of medicine on the basis of a theory which has not been proven correct and following some far right ideology is not the answer  tongue.gif  

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#5    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Midnight Shadow

• 2,745 posts

• Ride the Air

Posted 19 March 2004 - 06:36 PM

Is it not true that one day we may be able to choose which genes are inherited ? We could evolve ourselves so maybe its not that big of a problem .  

Posted Image

#6    MoonFox

MoonFox

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:17 PM

Yes I do agree that modern medicine has stopped (or at least drastically slowed down) human evolution. We are the only species that no longer has 'survival of the fittest'. And we are allowing as many bad genes to be passed as good genes.

Though as a species we have also evolved to have Conscience, guilt, morals, and ethics.
This is what seperates us from the other animals.

for example:
Wolves are willing to sacrifice a fellow member of their kind for the better of their species as a whole, and only the 2 strongest members of each pack (the alphas) are allowed to reproduce.
Humans are willing to sacrifice the evolution of their species to save someone they love and care about, and we give everyone the right to breed even if we know that their baby will have a terrible, incurable illness or deformity.

We have become seperated from the laws of nature. But, like also mentioned, while we are not physically evolving anymore- we are becoming more evolved in technology therefore someday we'll probably make up for all our lost evolution time by high-tech methods of selecting which genes are and aren't passed on. So even if someone with hereditary problems wants to reproduce, they will be able to chose not to have those bad genes passed on to their offspring.

So in humans, technological evolution has taken the place of physical evolution.

#7    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:28 PM

we are becoming more evolved in technology therefore someday we'll probably make up for all our lost evolution time by high-tech methods of selecting which genes are and aren't passed on. So even if someone with hereditary problems wants to reproduce, they will be able to chose not to have those bad genes passed on to their offspring.

Certainly better than following some cult belief that only perfect humans can breed  thumbsup.gif
Although if it involves cloning I'm worried of what could arise. The removal of proneness to heart disease, cancer or altzimers etc could eventually lead on to removal of traits which have nothing to do with health and instead are about designer babies… that scares the cr*p out of me.  sad.gif
Hopefully, instead medicine will just advance so far thats its like, take 1 tablet a month when pregnant and your baby will have prefect health... a pipe dream yes,  tongue.gif but you never know.

#8    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 19 March 2004 - 09:57 PM

The humans are now begining to own their own destiny, speaking of natural evolution of course. Genetic engenering and cybernetics will allow humankind to get almost any posible modification to their own bodys and genes...

I´m an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

#9    Chris_com28

Chris_com28

Psychic Spy

• 1,406 posts

Posted 19 March 2004 - 11:20 PM

If we do evolve then I'm sure we wont lose the ability to digest food and reproduce. Lol.  laugh.gif

Row, row, row your boat
Gently down the Stream
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily
Life is but a Dream

#10    doomgirl

doomgirl

Government Agent

• 3,323 posts

Posted 20 March 2004 - 03:39 AM

Has anyone seen the movie Gattaca, I think that is what will happen if they play around with our genetic make up, soon people like you and I will become invalid's, it's a scary thought

Spaceflight News - UM's Sister Site - Join Us

It ain't fittin'... it ain't fittin'. It jes' ain't fittin'... It ain't fittin'
Do I look like a freakin' people person?
All Things Wrestling Forum
Arts, Crafts N Gardens Forum

Computer Support Forum
Amby's Forum
Panda.org - WWF
Posted Image

#11    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 10:27 AM

I saw Gattica.... I don't wann live there  crying.gif

I wanna live in a United Federation of Planets  crying.gif  

#12    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 21 March 2004 - 03:45 PM

Has anyone seen the movie Gattaca, I think that is what will happen if they play around with our genetic make up, soon people like you and I will become invalid's, it's a scary thought

Great film BTW thumbsup.gif

Yeah i see where your goin but that was a very extreme view of where humanity will end up (assumin we wont blow ourselves to smithereens 1st).

I think we'll end up in the middle .

I wann be a member of the united federation of planets as well. grin2.gif  

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#13    Azael

Azael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 129 posts

• Media Vita in Morte Sumus

Posted 22 March 2004 - 01:01 AM

Humans will PROBABLY no longer evolve, since evolution is chiefly influenced by isolation, and humanity has a habit of going everywhere nowadays.
It is, however, very probably that all races will eventually be melded into one.

#14    STIX

STIX

Psychic Spy

• 1,791 posts

• The fact that threshold points exist and dictate matter suggests a pattern and layered geometry to the universe.

Posted 22 March 2004 - 04:10 AM

yes, within acouple hundred years all the races on earth will be blended pretty good. although, i see nothing wrong with this theory, it is the evolution of our technology which will change our being.

#15    Papillon

Papillon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:14 PM

I think as we evolve  and we explore strange new worlds, to seek out...er, sorry.
I think we will eventually find ourselves on new planets where the human race will evolve at different speeds and in different directions. Each form of humanity will be unique.
Yes, Ok, I referred to Star Trek but then, why not? alien.gif  

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users