Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Debates Discussion

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16    Abecrombie

Abecrombie

I kid ,... Hey Vincent Price smoke a cigar !

• 2,396 posts

• " Barky Von Snauzer ! ,..Barky Von Snauzer !
    Barky Von ....For ..Me ..To ..PooP ..On ! "

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

If I challenge another member and they except, could the debate be opened?

Posted ImageZombiedog

#17    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

If you challenge someone and they accept the debate is opened automatically.

#18    Abecrombie

Abecrombie

I kid ,... Hey Vincent Price smoke a cigar !

• 2,396 posts

• " Barky Von Snauzer ! ,..Barky Von Snauzer !
    Barky Von ....For ..Me ..To ..PooP ..On ! "

Posted 17 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

Saru on Oct 17 2008, 03:52 AM, said:

If you challenge someone and they accept the debate is opened automatically.

Ok. Thanks boss thumbsup.gif

Posted ImageZombiedog

#19    Incorrigible1

Incorrigible1

Government Agent

• 3,393 posts

• Champanya?

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

Evidently the software doesn't prevent others than the authorized initial posters in the thread. That's a shame.

If a nation values anything more than freedom, it will lose its freedom; and the irony of it is that if it is comfort or money that it values more, it will lose that too. -- W. Somerset Maugham
Posted Image

#20    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

One of the limitations of the system unfortunately, there's no facility for restricting access to specific threads.

#21    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:06 AM

I find it interesting that those who are the most vehemont on their subjects in the Forums, are not responding to the Debates. Could it be they know their speculations and evidence is not strong enough for debate??

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#22    BlindMessiah

BlindMessiah

Telekinetic

• 7,066 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:19 AM

DieChecker on Oct 23 2008, 01:06 AM, said:

I find it interesting that those who are the most vehemont on their subjects in the Forums, are not responding to the Debates. Could it be they know their speculations and evidence is not strong enough for debate??

I doubt it. Most people don't usually know that they're full of it.  happy.gif

Edited by BlindMessiah, 23 October 2008 - 10:20 AM.

#23    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,765 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:52 PM

could i know where would i find the new debate topics........if it debate boards how can i access it............(seriously)

Posted Image

#24    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,736 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:37 PM

universal legend on Nov 1 2008, 05:52 PM, said:

could i know where would i find the new debate topics........if it debate boards how can i access it............(seriously)

You're in the right forum....now. Just go back to the Formal Debates section and the list of
ongoing debates are there..below the bit your post is in.

#25    Tiggs

Tiggs

Relax. It's only me.

• 10,170 posts

• Universe Service Pack 2 still needs patching.

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

universal legend on Nov 1 2008, 05:52 PM, said:

This is where the current debates are shown.

To start a debate, however, you'll need to challenge a member to a debate directly - please read the FAQ for more information.

#26    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,765 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:10 AM

one of my suggestion is that if i sent a debate reqeust to one of the members and he didnt accept it or did not get  any reply that why could'nt you put this in the formal debates board requesting for participants...........

Posted Image

#27    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

Its an interesting idea, i'll consider that for a future update.

#28    Evangium

Evangium

Heretic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,109 posts

• Evangium doesn't have a personal statement currently.

Posted 04 November 2008 - 01:59 PM

Just a thought, but when editing a post (particularly after a lengthy peroid, or the other party has replied) perhaps people could please, voluntarily, state at the bottom of their post what changes they have made.
I like to use italics[i ] [/i ] tags, like in these examples
edit:typo if some minor spelling or punctuation has been corrected, but no change to the context of your post, or *
edit:added reference to Smith/Parks case - though personally I don't agree that you should come back and add information, but each to their own...

*edit: just thought of some more information I wanted to add on punctuation, or some other point to support my argument, but it involves writing a whole new paragraph.  
Now I wouldn't do this after my opponent has made his or her reply, since their response is based on version one of my post.  To do this could make me look either inept and unprepared, or decietful and underhanded.  
If they haven't posted, then I'll take the chance that those reading the debate will just think that I haven't taken the time to properly construct my argument and have been posting off the cuff.

Edited by Evangium, 04 November 2008 - 02:09 PM.

上人は菩薩と見たる桜哉
to saintly eyes
they are bodhisattvas...
cherry blossoms

Should RADAR really be held up as absolute proof of visitation by an extraterrestrial intelligence?  Click here to find out

#29    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:13 AM

^ The old debates seasons had a rule that strictly forbade the addition of new information once a response had been submitted.  Any form of editing was supposed to automatically concede victory to the opponent.  Though in this system we don't specifically have a scoring system as we did with the old debate judges.  That might probably change how people view the debate.  I still think it would be courtesy to your opponent not to chop and edit once it's been submitted.

Just my observation original.gif

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#30    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:35 AM

Paranoid Android on Nov 6 2008, 06:13 PM, said:

^ The old debates seasons had a rule that strictly forbade the addition of new information once a response had been submitted.  Any form of editing was supposed to automatically concede victory to the opponent.  Though in this system we don't specifically have a scoring system as we did with the old debate judges.  That might probably change how people view the debate.  I still think it would be courtesy to your opponent not to chop and edit once it's been submitted.

Just my observation original.gif
Unless it was a typo or similar small correction, as was suggested earlier, perhaps? Otherwise, as you say, any "major or imortant" change could have impact on the other party.

Kind regards,
Karlis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users