Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Telekinesis: Fact or Fiction?

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#16    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,723 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:15 PM

Thanks to Flame Dragon and Ziggy Stardust for the debate........

Ziggy Stardust on Oct 21 2008, 07:52 PM, said:

How can we trust what we see if you're talking about is an unseen energy? In the case of Telekinesis, I have never seen any incidence of the phenomena ever occuring, and despite much searching, have never seen a single documented incidence either.

It is evident that if telekinesis is a reality, it is a area of human experience that is not the 'norm'...(in this day and age?)
Does the ability exist? If it does, can only 'special' people exibit it? Or is it a skill that, given the right education and circumstances,
we could ALL do?

Ziggy....I don't know how much searching you have actually done....for documented evidence. Just for starters...I found this within
a minute or two......

link...5th DIMENSION - MIND OVER MATTER (TELEKINESIS)   (6:53)

Maybe you don't class this as admissible?

If not, could you explain what level of 'proof' you would desire?  

#17    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,723 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

Ziggy Stardust on Oct 21 2008, 03:16 AM, said:

It is to be expected that you hurriedly reject any notion that your beliefs have been brought about by subjective validation, whilst embracing the farfetched concept of telekinesis with open arms. Only time will remedy your delusion; with age, you will look back on the days you thought you had powers and chuckle at the unparalleled complexity of the human mind, and its willingness to be fooled. I did.

When looking at any subject, a bit of research never goes amiss.

I've just taken a look at both of your profiles. Flame Dragon says they are 17 years old.

Ziggy Stardust says they are 19 years old.

I find the bolded, in the quote above, extremely puzzling, coming from a 19 years old...... blink.gif

What's all that about?

#18    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

I have to agree that if it could be proved it would have been proved by now.

Most of the time it ends up with those making the claims they have some psychic ability falling to the I don't have to prove anything to you excuse , or   I will show you, but you have to pay this and that much and come over here to my country. hmm.gif

Edited by chaoszerg, 26 October 2008 - 05:30 PM.

#19    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,067 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 26 October 2008 - 05:49 PM

There has never been one real scientifically validated scrap of evidence to support TK.  It no different than magic. They both don't exist.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#20    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,723 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

http://paranormal.about.com/od/telekinesis.../a/aa031703.htm

Uri Geller. Geller is one of the most well-known "psychics" who has publicly demonstrated feats of psychokinesis: spoon and key bending have become almost synonymous with Geller's name. Although many skeptics and magicians consider his metal-bending performances nothing more than adroit sleight-of-hand, Geller has allegedly shown that he can manifest the effects over great distances and in multiple locations. On a British radio show in 1973, after demonstrating key bending to the astonishment of the host, Geller invited the listening audience to participate. Just minutes later, phone calls began pouring into the radio station from listeners all over the UK reporting that knives, forks, spoons, keys and nails began to bend and twist spontaneously. Watches and clocks that had not run in years began to work. It was an event whose success surprised even Geller and thrust him into the spotlight.

Some magicians may be able to duplicate some of these effects, but there may be legitimacy to this telekinetic phenomenon. In April, 2001, University of Arizona psychology professor Gary Schwartz conducted a "spoon-bending party" at which about 60 students were able to bend spoons and forks, with varying degrees of success, seemingly with the power of their minds.

I think there must be some kind of particular focus and belief that enables people to do telekinesis.
Tapping into an area of the brain that might not get much exercise....?
And group activities focusing on it...probably increase the chances of success..(see quotes above)

#21    Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust

Poltergeist

• 2,337 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

bee on Oct 27 2008, 04:15 AM, said:

Ziggy....I don't know how much searching you have actually done....for documented evidence. Just for starters...I found this within
a minute or two......

link...5th DIMENSION - MIND OVER MATTER (TELEKINESIS)   (6:53)

Maybe you don't class this as admissible?

If not, could you explain what level of 'proof' you would desire?

laugh.gif

The world needs more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.

#22    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,723 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:37 AM

Ziggy Stardust on Oct 27 2008, 08:42 AM, said:

laugh.gif

Would you care to expand on................ laugh.gif

This is the formal debate section, after all.

#23    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,321 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

Nice debate Ziggy and Flame Dragon. thumbsup.gif

However if I were only to go by the arguments presented here and decide on only that, then I would have to tip my hat to Ziggy. His arguments were thoughtful and well presented and for me, it tipped the scales in his favor.

I will admit however, that I am biased because I'm skeptical of TK myself, but that played no role in my decision to award Ziggy with the win. JMO thumbsup.gif

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#24    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,723 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:22 PM

Slave2Fate on Oct 27 2008, 10:50 AM, said:

Nice debate Ziggy and Flame Dragon. thumbsup.gif

However if I were only to go by the arguments presented here and decide on only that, then I would have to tip my hat to Ziggy. His arguments were thoughtful and well presented and for me, it tipped the scales in his favor.

I will admit however, that I am biased because I'm skeptical of TK myself, but that played no role in my decision to award Ziggy with the win. JMO thumbsup.gif

I'm with Flame Dragon.....I felt that they put real effort into creating the ground-work for accepting that telekinesis was a live possibility/fact.
Whereas Ziggy Stardust just repeated variations on..."I haven't seen any evidence."

I also thought that Ziggy used below the belt tactics....when using Flame Dragon's age against them....kind of 'pat-pat' on the head...
'you'll grow up and learn' type of thing.  And THEN it turns out that Ziggy is claiming to be all of 19 years old on his profile !

I think that sly digs and repeated demands for proof...is the basic formula to most sceptics arguements....
(but as you can see....I am not above the sly dig myself..... tongue.gif )

#25    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

bee on Oct 27 2008, 12:22 PM, said:

I think that sly digs and repeated demands for proof...is the basic formula to most sceptics arguements....

Umm skeptics do require proof, they dont just believe things because it sounds cool.

#26    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,723 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:00 PM

chaoszerg on Oct 27 2008, 12:44 PM, said:

Umm skeptics do require proof, they dont just believe things because it sounds cool.

There are different levels of 'proof' though aren't there. Ie..seeing it in front of your own eyes...believing an eye-witness...
trusting the orthodox scientific community. etc.

Also...I consider the bolded above...to be another example of a 'sly dig'. (hey..this is just like old-times... grin2.gif )

As you know the likes of Tesla and Einstein wouldn't have done what they did, if they had been held back by
the psychological constraints that sceptics tend to put on innovation + invention.  (exploring something that sounds/feels 'cool'
has probably made the modern technological world what it is today....)

#27    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

bee on Oct 27 2008, 01:00 PM, said:

There are different levels of 'proof' though aren't there. Ie..seeing it in front of your own eyes...believing an eye-witness...
trusting the orthodox scientific community. etc.

Also...I consider the bolded above...to be another example of a 'sly dig'. (hey..this is just like old-times... grin2.gif )

As you know the likes of Tesla and Einstein wouldn't have done what they did, if they had been held back by
the psychological constraints that sceptics tend to put on innovation + invention.  (exploring something that sounds/feels 'cool'
has probably made the modern technological world what it is today....)

Good grief Bee is would not a sly dig, it is true some people assume these things are real and believe in them because they sound cool. Just look at the section of the forum with people who claim to control fire or the weather, they are either all young teens or people who use silly excuses to avoid being shown up. If people really had TK we would all know about it by now as a real thing. No matter how hard people believe it, it does not make it true.

Heck I would love it to be true because I would have a lot of fun with TK abilities, but they are not real and I have to accept that it is just fantasy. All it ever boils down too is excuses or youtube vids, If people had this gift why not go to the proper people and prove it, instead of making lame excuses like they don't want to be famous, or they don't have to prove it to anyone.

Bee I think the oh this is a sly dig comment is a common thing many seem to jump to to make it seem like they are under attack. Why do some of you people have to always try and play the poor victim?

I remember I used to believe this stuff be real because it did sound cool and I really wanted it to be real, but after getting older I realised it was just a fantasy  laugh.gif

Edit: spelling mistake.

Edited by chaoszerg, 27 October 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#28    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,723 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:41 PM

chaoszerg on Oct 27 2008, 01:15 PM, said:

Bee I think the oh this is a sly dig comment is a common thing many seem to jump to to make it seem like they are under attack. Why do some of you people have to always try and play the poor victim?

You just can't stop can you?  grin2.gif  

I remember I used to believe this stuff be real because it did sound cool and I really wanted it to be real, but after getting older I realised it was just a fantasy  laugh.gif

The older and wiser routine?

But we're getting too far off topic now...so I must scurry off and find another link of some kind......

#29    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 01:47 PM

You just can't stop can you?

rolleyes.gif

lol

The older and wiser routine?

It's not older the wiser, its just that when you get older and after many failed attempts you begin to see things as the flop they are, and TK is one of them.

Please not another youtube video.

#30    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 11,723 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

chaoszerg on Oct 27 2008, 01:47 PM, said:

It's not older the wiser, its just that when you get older and after many failed attempts you begin to see things as the flop they are, and TK is one of them.

Now, this is all getting very surreal...on your profile you say you are 26 years old. What's with all these (alleged) very
young people claiming to have 'learnt better'...with the passage of time...?

As we are playing the age-game..I must inform you that I'm more than twice as old as you (if you ARE 26)....so when you are
as old mature   original.gif   as me...in 28 years time  (get your calculators out boys and girls !!! ) you might have a leg to stand on...with this
age argument..... tongue.gif  

Please not another youtube video.

It might be...it might not..you'll have to wait and see. Got to go out now, so it will be later this evening...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users