Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Dragons, myth and not universal gods

• Please log in to reply
171 replies to this topic

#91    The Gremlin

The Gremlin

Gnawing at the ankles of Falsehood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts

• sniffing the finger of truth

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:24 PM

draconic chronicler on Mar 3 2009, 01:15 PM, said:

Pliny acknowledged both  whales and sea going drakons.  As for the Drakons of Ethiopia the quote is above.  He states the creatures heads tower high in the air, catching the wind while they are swimming, unlike snakes, but exactly like ketos are portrayed.  Pliny states they are real.  He even refers to ways to repell "drakons" from ships, referred to in some sources, though I have not read the specific passage.

Understand that by Plinys time, terms like drakon and ketos were interchangable.   Drakons were  described flying in the sky with wings and preying on elephants.

Yes, large constrictors can swim, but they don't in salt water.

here we go....
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext...ery=head%3D%231

gimmie a shout when you have found the quotes....im not denying that it is there, only cant be bothered to do your work for you.

it doesnt exist till its found. k ?

also where does they are real? what are? ketos or draconi?
we have seen that when not referring to the mythical and 'fabulous' ketos (which he does not believe in) he is referring to whales.
He also has never witnessed the draconi he describes first hand, just unreliable stories with a hint of a logical explaination.

I rarely talk about such things but I once shoveled 18 tons of material in 11 min-
utes. It was under ideal conditions which allowed use of the legs and gravity
but I know no one who could have matched it and I do know work
...Cladking
If you were a dragon wouldn't you rather eat fat, alocohol fill, Nordic giants, than stringy little Chinamen?   Draconic Chronicler.
You claim you do research and then disregard the fact the Pyramids were built by God, which is why no man-made computer can replicate it.  The Interpreter

#92    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

• What happened to the American dream? It came true, you're lookin' at it.

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:15 AM

draconic chronicler on Mar 4 2009, 02:02 AM, said:

I expect no more from an immature teenager.  Your attention span is so  short short (typical of children your age) that you cannot even remember what I actually have said.

One of my history-oriented  books is still for sale in the Museum of London and is pubished in four languages.  I have published papers in archaeological journals, though none of this has anything to do with 'dragons'.  I am the director of a major military museum, and have regularly appeared on History Channel programs. I have been invited to give lectures on experimental archaeology.  But understand that I do not want to reveal my true identity on an internet populated by juvenile delinquents who could make mischeif with it, but there are adults here who know who I am.   The dragon book may be published under another name because of its controversial nature, particualrly among religious sectors.

Perhaps it is because  you know that you will never amount to much of anything, that you love to attack other people so much.  Hopefully you will someday "grow up" and behave like an adult.

I expect no more from a delusional troll. Your mind is so closed (Typical of attention-seekers such as yourself) that you do not even relaise you are wrong.

One of my history-oriented  books is still for sale in the Museum of London and is pubished in four languages.  I have published papers in archaeological journals, though none of this has anything to do with 'dragons'.  I am the director of a major military museum, and have regularly appeared on History Channel programs. I have been invited to give lectures on experimental archaeology.  But understand that I do not want to reveal my true identity on an internet populated by juvenile delinquents who could make mischeif with it, but there are adults here who know who I am.   The dragon book may be published under another name because of its controversial nature, particualrly among religious sectors.

Lies. Pitiful lies from a pitiful person who seeks to be better than everyone else because he cannot bear the pitiful reality.

Perhaps it is because you know you'll never amount to to much of anything, that you love to attack people so much. Hopefully you will someday "Get a life" and behave like a sane person.

May I note all of the above is my own opinion and any further comments regarding DC will be in PM form.

Oh, P.S, my agent already got my book sold to a publisher. It will be out this winter. original.gif

Jesus, I was evil

#93    The Gremlin

The Gremlin

• 1,941 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 09:19 AM

Undeadskeptic on Mar 4 2009, 07:15 AM, said:

Oh, P.S, my agent already got my book sold to a publisher. It will be out this winter. original.gif

congrats, i hope it is lavishly illustrated. grin2.gif

I rarely talk about such things but I once shoveled 18 tons of material in 11 min-
...Cladking
If you were a dragon wouldn't you rather eat fat, alocohol fill, Nordic giants, than stringy little Chinamen?   Draconic Chronicler.
You claim you do research and then disregard the fact the Pyramids were built by God, which is why no man-made computer can replicate it.  The Interpreter

#94    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:52 PM

Undeadskeptic on Mar 4 2009, 01:15 AM, said:

I expect no more from a delusional troll. Your mind is so closed (Typical of attention-seekers such as yourself) that you do not even relaise you are wrong.

Lies. Pitiful lies from a pitiful person who seeks to be better than everyone else because he cannot bear the pitiful reality.

Perhaps it is because you know you'll never amount to to much of anything, that you love to attack people so much. Hopefully you will someday "Get a life" and behave like a sane person.

May I note all of the above is my own opinion and any further comments regarding DC will be in PM form.

If anyone deserves the title of troll on UM it is you.  You contribute nothing to the forums other than causng problems.  You are very lucky you are just a kid.  This can be the only reason why the moderators allow you to get away with all of the abuse you are responsible for.  I could care less if you believe my books, occupation, accomplishments, etc are real,  the people who matter know.    

#95    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:34 PM

I noticed something very interesting about the feedback here.  In every instance, the ONLY people who believed Lil Grmelin one are people I have 'bested' in previous discussions here on UM.  How odd.

And irregardless of what they said, any adult here should be able to see the facts.

1.  I stated from the beginning that the Greek culture as we know it, is FAR younger than those cultures which  clearly had dragon gods.  No wonder Grem concentrated here, as is situation would be hopeless if he had chosen earlier cultures as he well know, and as LegionRomanes has discovered.  But eve so, I was able to demonstrate that the Greek too, did in fact consider serpents and 'dragons' as gods.

2.  Gremlin could not prove a single thing I said was false.

3. On the other hand Gremlin was adamant that the Greeks never worshipped Reptilian deities.  He was WRONG, millions of greeks worshipped a snake god called Glykon, an ancient god of the classical world that Grem seemed to admit he wasn't even aware of when I first brought it up in the debate!

4. Gremlin was equally sure of himself that Ketos was never condsidered a deity or worshipped.  And he was WRONG on both counts, and there can be no debate on this point at all, because it comes from an ancient source.

As I pointed out, Ketos was said to be born of high gods in the Greek mythology and therfore would be a Goddess, and in fact Pliny confirms she was considered a goddess and was worshipped by GREEK speaking and cultured peoples!  It doesn't matter if Pliny himself did not believe Ketos was a goddess.  The fact remains that her worshippers believed it so.

So here are two gaping holes in Gremlin's defense.  His claim that "Dragons were not universal gods" , and his strategy to use the Greeks as an example were COMPLETELY DISCREDITED.

Was I discredited at all in this debate?  No.    The points I made could not be shaken at all.

So why is it that these seemingly intelligent people in the fields of science, religion, and history, (and a trollish juvenile who I won't even count who just tagged along for the 'ride'), all want to believe Gremlin 'won' , when in fact he failed miserably even when choosing his own "turf"?

It is their arrogance.  They cannot believe that someone can make such a seemingly absurd statement that the dragons believed in by mankind all over the world and for thousands of years, migh just be real, and then SUCCESFULLY debate it on these forums because the person making the claim DOES, in fact,  know a lot about science, history and religion to show how plausible this theory reallly is.   Their own beliefs DICTATE that I must be wrong, so even when I win every point in debates and  better them in every argument in the forums, the are unable to comprehend it.

Yes, this was an interesting experiment in human nature.  

#96    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:37 PM

lil gremlin on Mar 4 2009, 03:19 AM, said:

Thank you Grem, for demonstrating to all concerned that you are just as immature as the child you are 'encouraging' to engage in trollish behavior.

Edited by draconic chronicler, 04 March 2009 - 01:38 PM.

#97    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,178 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:22 PM

draconic chronicler on Mar 5 2009, 12:34 AM, said:

So why is it that these seemingly intelligent people in the fields of science, religion, and history, (and a trollish juvenile who I won't even count who just tagged along for the 'ride'), all want to believe Gremlin 'won' , when in fact he failed miserably even when choosing his own "turf"?
Your arguments fell down for the same reason they always have - lack of supporting evidence.  For years you have been on UM, and you have never provided solid supporting evidence for your view.  Not a single scholarly article.  Needless to say, if your sources were as bare in your university degree, I can't see how you even got past your Undergrad, let alone the head of some fancy unnamed museum.  

I don't say that to belittle you, DC.  Your views have always been interesting.  But in the past when I had PM'd you in order to get scholarly backing for your views (ie, journal articles, University-level texts - quoting author, book, page), you never responded back with anything.  You were happy to carry on PM discussions right up until I asked for that detailed source material - suddenly you "forgot" to respond, and I never heard from you again... until the next time.

Again, this is not intended to belittle you.  Clearly you believe you won.  And now you are basing your lack of support on some misguided vendetta from other people whom you supposedly bested in other discussions.  Just a thought here, but I have always taken great stock from this concept - if one person says something concerning you, it might be considered just their opinion.  If twenty people all say the same thing about you, perhaps it is you and not them that is at fault.  Maybe, just maybe, you should listen to the criticisms and start building up a set of resources that help strengthen your case.  Standing back and crying foul about personal vendetta's won't help you at all.

As I noted in my summation, you did provide a bare handful of supporting sources (which was actually more than you have provided in the past, so you have stepped forward a little).  But most of what you wrote was simply "this is what the people believed" - that is hearsay.  Quoting sources that show that this is what they believed is essential to an argument like this.  You claim to have had articles published in journals - you know the weight of "peer review".  These kinds of source material are vital to an argument like this.  And over the course of the years here, you have consistently failed to present those sources when asked.  the very few sources you did use in the debate were border-line and quite effectively refuted by your opponent.  Which left only your word that what you are saying is true - Peer review would never allow that.  And while I do acknowledge that Forums like this do not expect Journal-level citations, having quotes from various scholars to back your claims do help.  

I do wish you the best in your quest to publish your book (how long have you been trying to publish it now?) but when a publisher looks at your manuscript, they are going to need a complete reference list of your quotes and supporting material.  But going on the evidence you provided in this debate, your Reference list will be very empty when it comes time to write that bibliography.

~ PA  

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#98    The Gremlin

The Gremlin

• 1,941 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

draconic chronicler on Mar 4 2009, 01:34 PM, said:

I noticed something very interesting about the feedback here.  In every instance, the ONLY people who believed Lil Grmelin one are people I have 'bested' in previous discussions here on UM.  How odd.

And irregardless of what they said, any adult here should be able to see the facts.

1.  I stated from the beginning that the Greek culture as we know it, is FAR younger than those cultures which  clearly had dragon gods.  No wonder Grem concentrated here, as is situation would be hopeless if he had chosen earlier cultures as he well know, and as LegionRomanes has discovered.  But eve so, I was able to demonstrate that the Greek too, did in fact consider serpents and 'dragons' as gods.

2.  Gremlin could not prove a single thing I said was false.

3. On the other hand Gremlin was adamant that the Greeks never worshipped Reptilian deities.  He was WRONG, millions of greeks worshipped a snake god called Glykon, an ancient god of the classical world that Grem seemed to admit he wasn't even aware of when I first brought it up in the debate!

4. Gremlin was equally sure of himself that Ketos was never condsidered a deity or worshipped.  And he was WRONG on both counts, and there can be no debate on this point at all, because it comes from an ancient source.

As I pointed out, Ketos was said to be born of high gods in the Greek mythology and therfore would be a Goddess, and in fact Pliny confirms she was considered a goddess and was worshipped by GREEK speaking and cultured peoples!  It doesn't matter if Pliny himself did not believe Ketos was a goddess.  The fact remains that her worshippers believed it so.

So here are two gaping holes in Gremlin's defense.  His claim that "Dragons were not universal gods" , and his strategy to use the Greeks as an example were COMPLETELY DISCREDITED.

Was I discredited at all in this debate?  No.    The points I made could not be shaken at all.

It is their arrogance.  They cannot believe that someone can make such a seemingly absurd statement that the dragons believed in by mankind all over the world and for thousands of years, migh just be real, and then SUCCESFULLY debate it on these forums because the person making the claim DOES, in fact,  know a lot about science, history and religion to show how plausible this theory reallly is.   Their own beliefs DICTATE that I must be wrong, so even when I win every point in debates and  better them in every argument in the forums, the are unable to comprehend it.

Yes, this was an interesting experiment in human nature.

sorry, i think you must have been reading the wrong debate, no scratch that...the above wouldnt apply to any discussion you are in.

you are wrong on all counts DC....and trying to deflect from that fact.

the debate was about this statement you made....

An entire world of early man considered giant flying reptiles that we call dragons today once were their gods. This i not my speculation, it is fact.

you could not back it up, so you failed even before i started to disect your argument.

The greeks coined the term drakon, thats why i chose them.

You could not prove that any Greeks saw/worshiped giant quadrupedal flying reptiles. And you could not back up the claims you made with relevent evidence.

That's the simple truth.

...Cladking

#99    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

• I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.
    Genghis Khan

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

draconic chronicler on Mar 4 2009, 08:34 AM, said:

The only thing odd about it is...you are the only one to thinks that.

Paranoid Android on Mar 4 2009, 09:22 AM, said:

As I noted in my summation, you did provide a bare handful of supporting sources (which was actually more than you have provided in the past, so you have stepped forward a little).  But most of what you wrote was simply "this is what the people believed" - that is hearsay.

*Directed at DC*

It is only recent history I seen that you did know how to make a link.

Grem...did you even break a sweat?

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,
education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear
of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#100    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

lil gremlin on Mar 4 2009, 10:19 PM, said:

As lavish as they come laugh.gif

Jesus, I was evil

#101    Undeadskeptic

Undeadskeptic

Government Agent

• 3,628 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

That's me, along for the ride! grin2.gif

I feel that we think Grem won because you offered few sources that mattered at all or any physical evidence and instead supposed conjecture at every turn. When your dragons don't get seen, you give them camoflauge powers, rather than give evidence as to why they would not be seen.

Jesus, I was evil

#102    Dr. Peter Venkman

Dr. Peter Venkman

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:22 AM

Fossil record? Anything? Draconic, You haven't bested me, or any other sane person that reads this thread at anything. Furthermore, your attitude sucks. that's a professional term. tongue.gif  There's been a whole lot of arrogance on this thread, and you are no exception. I don't care what ancient civilizations worshipped. That doesn't make dragons any more real than Paul Bunyan. I look forward to your book and I like your research. It's certainly interesting. However, still doesn't prove jack about the existence of dragons.

#103    draconic chronicler

draconic chronicler

Majestic 12 Operative

• Banned
  • 6,229 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:48 PM

Dr. Peter Venkman on Mar 4 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

Fossil record? Anything? Draconic, You haven't bested me, or any other sane person that reads this thread at anything. Furthermore, your attitude sucks. that's a professional term. tongue.gif  There's been a whole lot of arrogance on this thread, and you are no exception. I don't care what ancient civilizations worshipped. That doesn't make dragons any more real than Paul Bunyan. I look forward to your book and I like your research. It's certainly interesting. However, still doesn't prove jack about the existence of dragons.

And since when where 'gods' ever expected to leave a fossil record?  You are so clueless that you haven't even figured out what the subject of this debate was.  It was NOT if dragons were real creatures, it was if dragons were worshipped as gods in human cultures.  It had nothing to do with whether or not dragons were real entities.  Grem decided to use ancient Greece to "prove' dragons were NEVER Gods in this culture.  And any adult here should be able to see he 'got it wrong'.

An ancient source (Pliny the Elder), stated Ketos (a sea dragon) which according to Greek legend was the daugher of two other gods was worshipped in a region of thoroughly 'greek' culture in western asia.  And not only that, but a limbless Drakon was a very popular god in the 2-3d centuries AD Eastern, Greek, mediterranean world.  Grem was not even aware of the 'existence' of this God before this debate began.

So for the parameters of the debate, I was right and  Gremlin was wrong.  That means I win.  Deal with it.  No amount of Gremlin supporters crawling out of the woodwork now can change that.  It just makes you ALL look petty and dumb but trying to 'support' the unsuppportable.

#104    The Gremlin

The Gremlin

• 1,941 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

draconic chronicler on Mar 5 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

And since when where 'gods' ever expected to leave a fossil record?  You are so clueless that you haven't even figured out what the subject of this debate was.  It was NOT if dragons were real creatures, it was if dragons were worshipped as gods in human cultures.  It had nothing to do with whether or not dragons were real entities.  Grem decided to use ancient Greece to "prove' dragons were NEVER Gods in this culture.  And any adult here should be able to see he 'got it wrong'.

An ancient source (Pliny the Elder), stated Ketos (a sea dragon) which according to Greek legend was the daugher of two other gods was worshipped in a region of thoroughly 'greek' culture in western asia.  And not only that, but a limbless Drakon was a very popular god in the 2-3d centuries AD Eastern, Greek, mediterranean world.  Grem was not even aware of the 'existence' of this God before this debate began.

So for the parameters of the debate, I was right and  Gremlin was wrong.  That means I win.  Deal with it.  No amount of Gremlin supporters crawling out of the woodwork now can change that.  It just makes you ALL look petty and dumb but trying to 'support' the unsuppportable.

re the bold...

twice you have said this, and it is untrue. as i explained, you posted a pic of a snake with a humanized head, but did not label it at all.
i asked you to identify it.

I also mentioned that i had come across Glykon, reading Lucian a long while ago, and did not remember him enough to relate him to the unidentified image.

Glykon was not a drakon.

He was not an ever-watchful, never sleeping, guard of a sacred object, nor servent of the Gods. because that's what technically seperates drakones from other mythical/religious snakes.

Glykon was a spurious snake deity that has its roots in Macedonian orphism/fertility cults, and not in drakonic tradition......not a drakon

and certainly not giant winged and quadrupedal....ever.

Glykon was the object of a popular cult, he was not part of the state religion.

Pliny wasnt greek, but Roman....he comes way later than the timescale you ideally want to provide evidence for. By his time Hellenism had hundreds of years to absorb eastern stylistics.

Pliny mentions ketos in 2 frames of reference, once as whales, and another time as a 'fabulous' mythical creature which he doesnt believe in....in this he was likely to be echoing the sentiments of his time.
There are no quadrupedal ketoi either before or after Hellenistic orientalism.

so by the parameters of the debate....as i mentioned in a previous post on this page....you are as mistaken about the result of the debate as you are about its content.

edit to add: I dont think that folk who have commented here are my supporters at all. They have just decided that my argument is more acceptable than yours.
If i made wild statements, like you, and then failed to back them up with relevent evidence, then i would expect them to be just as critical with me as they are of your theory and conduct.

Paranoid Android particularly wouldnt appreciate your above comment DC, as far as i know he doesnt get involved in petty squabbles, and offered his impartial opinion.
Perhaps the only way to settle this is to submit to the impartial judgement of a single individual we both agree on.
I propose either Saruman or Aquatus1.
Are either of these persons acceptable to you dc?

Edited by lil gremlin, 05 March 2009 - 01:59 PM.

...Cladking

#105    chaoszerg

chaoszerg

Underpants Gnome

• 9,418 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

draconic chronicler on Mar 5 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

I was right and  Gremlin was wrong.  That means I win.  Deal with it.  No amount of Gremlin supporters crawling out of the woodwork now can change that.  It just makes you ALL look petty and dumb but trying to 'support' the unsuppportable.

Oh dear, I had the image of you stamping up and down on the ground like a 5 year old throwing a tantrum just then with that outburst.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users