Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

World Religion Demographics

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 21 March 2004 - 09:50 PM

Christians 33.4%
Muslims 18.5%
Nonreligious 16.1%
Hindus 13.4%
Buddhists 5.9%
Atheists 3.7%
Chinese folk-rel  4%
New-Religionists 2.6%
Tribal Religioni. 1.5%
Sikhs 0.3%
Jews 0.3%
Shamanists 0.2%
Confucians 0.1%
Baha'is 0.1%
Jains 0.1%
Shintoists 0.1%
Other Religioni. 0.3%

http://www.religioustolerance.org/

Edited by Kellalor, 21 March 2004 - 09:52 PM.

#2    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:59 AM

OMG!! 67% of us are going to hell!!!  

#3    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:27 AM

66.6% actually Psychic Penguin  , now that's a worry  huh.gif  

#4    DespondentDave

DespondentDave

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 285 posts

• I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Posted 22 March 2004 - 12:06 PM

QUOTE (PsychicPenguin @ Mar 22 2004, 12:59 AM)

Or if you believe Al Qaida, 81.5%!

Edited by DespondentDave, 22 March 2004 - 12:06 PM.

#5    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• 1,428 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:21 AM

No... it is not necesary for you to be muslim to enter heaven. Everyone will be judged according to their works on earth, not faith.  

#6    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 23 March 2004 - 02:56 AM

hmm....I was under the impression that there were more followers of Islam in the world than there were of Christianity.  

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#7    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 07:54 AM

Possibly so Seraphina , looking at the statistics a little closer though I believe they may have grouped Christians , Catholics , Prodestants , Jehovas witness  and alike all under the heading of Christian .

#8    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• 1,428 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 09:08 AM

And group Shites and Sunni (spelling?) muslims under one group as well...

Edited by PsychicPenguin, 24 March 2004 - 03:19 AM.

#9    Azael

Azael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 129 posts

• Media Vita in Morte Sumus

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE (PsychicPenguin @ Mar 22 2004, 12:59 AM)

Wrong, actually.
At the very least; purgatory.

There's a fun little clause in Christian that lets good pagans go to purgatory.  And purgatory itself is only a temporary step before being allowed in heaven.

#10    babyforrest

babyforrest

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

• We're on a mission from God.

Posted 25 March 2004 - 06:43 PM

I am a Christian, Anglican to be exact.  I have never heard purgatory be mentioned by anyone from my church.  I think it is mainly a Catholic idea.  I don't believe that anyone that doesn't believe what I believe will go to hell.  I really don't know and I will not pretend that I do know for sure and condemn everybody that doesn't agree with me.

At first I was able to ignore all the religious debates, but it is getting to be quite sickening.  I can't look at this messege board anymore without being bombarded with several God vs. No God threads.  It seems to be all anyone cares about anymore, disproving that God exists.  There is no solid proof one way or another to whether or not a God exists, face it.  The reasons that I have for believing in God are purely personal.  I have experienced God, and there is absolutely nothing anybody can say that will ever make me feel and believe differently.  I wish I could give you more answers but I can't.  Bye for now.

Let's rock this joint!

#11    fearfulone

fearfulone

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

• Believe no one that believes you...Trust no one that trusts you...and for your own sake...don't listen to a word i say

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (PsychicPenguin @ Mar 22 2004, 07:21 PM)
No... it is not necesary for you to be muslim to enter heaven. Everyone will be judged according to their works on earth, not faith.

We as Catholics have also always taught that those who are "ignorant" or do not know of the truth can be saved through living a good life of works and faith.  We do however differ from the Muslims in saying that whomever is "saved" through "ignorance" is done so by God's "graces flowing through the Catholic Church to the world."

I have never heard purgatory be mentioned by anyone from my church. I think it is mainly a Catholic idea.

And yes, it is predominately us Catholics that believe in purgatory.  And just to clarify, purgatory is a CLEASING period of our humanity so that we may be pure when we enter heaven...it is NOT an alternative to heaven/hell, like there's a third possibility...it is a purification on the way to heaven.  

Possibly so Seraphina , looking at the statistics a little closer though I believe they may have grouped Christians , Catholics , Prodestants , Jehovas witness and alike all under the heading of Christian .

Yes they did do this, but more in depth studies have shown Catholics are at 20% on their own, Islam is, however, the FASTEST GROWING faith in the world.

Edited by fearfulone, 25 March 2004 - 07:57 PM.

Trust no one that trusts you!

"you will need at least two more of the male variety to even pose a threat to us women... remember ... we can think with both the right and left sides of our brain!"
-nxt2hvn

CONSPIRACY I SAY!! CONSPIRACY!

"It's not the bad things that happen to you your upset about, it's the good things that happen to other people that piss you off."
-Robert Udall in 'As Good As It Gets'

#12    Azael

Azael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 129 posts

• Media Vita in Morte Sumus

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (babyforrest @ Mar 25 2004, 06:43 PM)
I am a Christian, Anglican to be exact.  I have never heard purgatory be mentioned by anyone from my church.  I think it is mainly a Catholic idea.  I don't believe that anyone that doesn't believe what I believe will go to hell.  I really don't know and I will not pretend that I do know for sure and condemn everybody that doesn't agree with me.

The only real Christian denomination, in my opinion, is Roman Catholicism.
All the others were founded off charlitans looking to make a dollar and gain power off of people who desperately looked for answers.

#13    fearfulone

fearfulone

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

• Believe no one that believes you...Trust no one that trusts you...and for your own sake...don't listen to a word i say

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:35 PM

The only real Christian denomination, in my opinion, is Roman Catholicism.
   thumbsup.gif

i completely agree, i did not want to make this thread into a religious debate though... wink2.gif

Trust no one that trusts you!

"you will need at least two more of the male variety to even pose a threat to us women... remember ... we can think with both the right and left sides of our brain!"
-nxt2hvn

CONSPIRACY I SAY!! CONSPIRACY!

"It's not the bad things that happen to you your upset about, it's the good things that happen to other people that piss you off."
-Robert Udall in 'As Good As It Gets'

#14    shirini

shirini

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:32 PM

those numbers don't look right to me. huh.gif

Edited by shirini, 25 March 2004 - 10:33 PM.

#15    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• 1,428 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 10:32 PM

Uh well.. actually most other denominations condemn catholics as being "not real christian" or even "cult"... anyway.. good job for accepting evolution and not using sola scriptura thumbsup.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users