Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

World Religion Demographics

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16    WorkMonkey

WorkMonkey

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (fearfulone @ Mar 25 2004, 07:56 PM)

We as Catholics have also always taught that those who are "ignorant" or do not know of the truth can be saved through living a good life of works and faith.  We do however differ from the Muslims in saying that whomever is "saved" through "ignorance" is done so by God's "graces flowing through the Catholic Church to the world."

Matthew 7:21-27 - To enter the kingdom of heaven, it is not enough to call Jesus "Lord, Lord." One must DO the will of the Father (v 21).

Luke 6:46 - "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" What right do you have to claim He is your Lord if you don't obey? None! Your master is the one you obey (cf. Rom. 6:16; Matt. 6:24). If you don't obey, He's not your master.

Acts 10:35 - To be acceptable to Him, one must fear Him and work righteousness

The Proposer - "there is well documented evidence of eyewitness acounts of god."

BEST QUOTE EVERRRRRRRRR

#17    shirini

shirini

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:34 PM

removed

Edited by shirini, 25 March 2004 - 11:35 PM.

#18    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:51 AM

Matthew 7:21-27 - To enter the kingdom of heaven, it is not enough to call Jesus "Lord, Lord." One must DO the will of the Father (v 21).

Luke 6:46 - "And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?" What right do you have to claim He is your Lord if you don't obey? None! Your master is the one you obey (cf. Rom. 6:16; Matt. 6:24). If you don't obey, He's not your master.

Acts 10:35 - To be acceptable to Him, one must fear Him and work righteousness

Catholicism has no concept of sola scriptura ... so quoting bible verses doesn't mean a lot.

#19    WorkMonkey

WorkMonkey

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (PsychicPenguin @ Mar 26 2004, 12:51 AM)
Catholicism has no concept of sola scriptura ... so quoting bible verses doesn't mean a lot.

If they have no concept of scripture alone then why was the bible written by the founders of catholocism? Is the bible therefore lies? Do catholics denounce the bible as the word of god? Since all religious doctrine is derived from the bible then every offshoot of Christianity practices sola scripture, not just protastants...surely?

Edited by WorkMonkey, 26 March 2004 - 01:00 AM.

The Proposer - "there is well documented evidence of eyewitness acounts of god."

BEST QUOTE EVERRRRRRRRR

#20    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• 1,428 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:02 AM

The Roman Catholic church has changed a lot. So if I have to answer your questions from Catholic's point of view...

Is the bible therefore lies?

The answer will be different according to your interpretation. Many details in the bible is wrong, but the major theme is still correct.

Do catholics denounce the bible as the word of god?

No

#21    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• 1,428 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:07 AM

Since all religious doctrine is derived from the bible then every offshoot of Christianity practices sola scripture, not just protastants...surely?

Sola scriptura is not a Catholic concept. It was invented during the reformation, and later became an integral part of Protestant movement. Today not some denominations do not practice this concept any longer.

#22    WorkMonkey

WorkMonkey

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:08 AM

I dont understand then how Catholics can have no concept of sola scriptura, since the scripts are the only reference we have to gods alleged will.
How does one determine the critera for gaining access to heaven if the bible is not to be wholly believed?

Im no expert in this and have only just given myself a crash course on this whole sola scripture thing so answers would be appreciated.

Edited by WorkMonkey, 26 March 2004 - 01:08 AM.

BEST QUOTE EVERRRRRRRRR

#23    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• 1,428 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:23 AM

I'm wondering about that myself  tongue.gif  grin2.gif

Anyway.. the criteria to go to heaven is to be holy. A long time ago it was through indulgency letters.. and today by giving away 10% of your income to the church wink2.gif  whistling2.gif

Oh.. the 10% rule is also gone from the Roman Catholic church, making it the cheapest alternative to go to heaven.  laugh.gif  

#24    Azael

Azael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 129 posts

• Media Vita in Morte Sumus

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:34 AM

QUOTE (PsychicPenguin @ Mar 25 2004, 10:32 PM)
Uh well.. actually most other denominations condemn catholics as being "not real christian" or even "cult"... anyway.. good job for accepting evolution and not using sola scriptura thumbsup.gif

That makes little sense, considering Roman Catholicism is the original Christian religion. That would mean if the denominations' claims were valid they themselves would be cults of a cult.

#25    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• 1,428 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 01:43 AM

That makes little sense, considering Roman Catholicism is the original Christian religion. That would mean if the denominations' claims were valid they themselves would be cults of a cult.

Sometimes fact doesn't make any sense wink2.gif

Anyway.. check out this link..  tongue.gif

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

laugh.gif  grin2.gif  laugh.gif  grin2.gif  

#26    WorkMonkey

WorkMonkey

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 02:51 PM

QUOTE (PsychicPenguin @ Mar 26 2004, 01:43 AM)

Anyway.. check out this link..  tongue.gif

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0071/0071_01.asp

laugh.gif  grin2.gif  laugh.gif  grin2.gif

that links stupid,
How can it proove Roman catholicism as the true church, using only the bible as back up, that is working on the presumption that the bible is the true word of god.
Where is the line drawn between circular reasoning and blind faith?

The whole concept it speaks of is basically doing exactly what god says and he'll be cool with you, that is manipulation to his will, why would a loving, benevolant father manipulate his childrens will to make him happy, instead of protecting them allowing them to make their own mistakes and forgiving them when they slip up.

ps why would god make sin if we had to repent of it to get to him, wouldnt it have been easier to just not make it in the first place?

Please no "God works in mysterious ways" replies, its just a blatant ass cover because you dont know.

Edited by WorkMonkey, 26 March 2004 - 02:59 PM.

BEST QUOTE EVERRRRRRRRR

#27    fearfulone

fearfulone

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

• Believe no one that believes you...Trust no one that trusts you...and for your own sake...don't listen to a word i say

Posted 26 March 2004 - 06:10 PM

Ok ok, i told you i didnt want this to turn into a religious debate, but hell, if you guys want it.  I work for a Catholic Apologetics compnay (apologetics means to defend the faith), so i know quite a bit about the Church.  The Catholic Church, first off, does believe in the bible...we read scripture 4 times at mass each sunday... first from the old testament, then the psalms, then the new testament, then from one of the four Gospels.  And no, we are NOT a sola scriptura church... we believe that you can not use bible alone, but must incorporate traditions handed down from the apostles.  It says in scripture "if i were to write everything Christ said, there would not be enough books in all the libraries of the world to contain them," (not an exact quote) so we believe the apostles handed down various traditions, all of which the Catholic Church practices today.  Also, the jack chick tracts, which you put a link to, are very anti-Catholic and he is a professed anti-Catholic, so you can not use him as an un-biased view of Catholicism.  As far as where we get our traditions go to Early Fathers of Christianity, click on Church Fathers and you will read writings from disciples of the original twelve apostles who kept and upheld the traditions of the apostles.

Oh.. the 10% rule is also gone from the Roman Catholic church, making it the cheapest alternative to go to heaven.   
  The Catholic Church has always taught that you should tithe according to the wages you earn...never have the been the "cheapest alternative" because they teach you should give your life to Christ through the Church.

Anyway.. the criteria to go to heaven is to be holy. A long time ago it was through indulgency letters..
  You completely mis-understand the concept of indulgences...way to deep to get into in a forum like this, but you dont get to heaven through an "indulgence letter."  That was a mis-understanding during the time of the reformation.  And funny how Martin Luther, the father of the reformation, was quoted on his deathbed as saying, "what have i done," and going to confession before he passed. hmmm... blink.gif

Anymore questions, don't hesitate to ask or send me a message.

Edited by fearfulone, 26 March 2004 - 06:16 PM.

Trust no one that trusts you!

"you will need at least two more of the male variety to even pose a threat to us women... remember ... we can think with both the right and left sides of our brain!"
-nxt2hvn

CONSPIRACY I SAY!! CONSPIRACY!

"It's not the bad things that happen to you your upset about, it's the good things that happen to other people that piss you off."
-Robert Udall in 'As Good As It Gets'

#28    WorkMonkey

WorkMonkey

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (fearfulone @ Mar 26 2004, 06:10 PM)
It says in scripture "if i were to write everything Christ said, there would not be enough books in all the libraries of the world to contain them,"

Didn't he ever shut up or something?

BEST QUOTE EVERRRRRRRRR

#29    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 26 March 2004 - 09:50 PM

This topic will probably be locked sooner or later without comments like that, thank you very much.

Edited by Aslan, 26 March 2004 - 09:53 PM.

#30    WorkMonkey

WorkMonkey

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 11:42 PM

It was a fair assessment of the information given.

BEST QUOTE EVERRRRRRRRR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users