Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Most influential bands

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Poll: Which genres have and will develop(ed) greatly? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Which genres have and will develop(ed) greatly?

1. Rock (22 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. Rap/Hip Hop (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

3. Grunge (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Pop (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Punk (2 votes [6.06%])

Percentage of vote: 6.06%

6. Other (3 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    stillcrazy

stillcrazy

Poltergeist

• 2,172 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 08:37 AM

What about the Beatles, the Who, the rolling Stones, the small Faces,the kinks LED ZEPPELIN, Jimmi Hendrix?

Ahhh for the good ol' days.  sad.gif

#17    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:11 AM

Most influential band on todays music , not my style but arguably Run DMC , I repeat not my style but  definately the grandfathers of rap which in turn fathered such crappy styles as house , trance and drum and bass .
  As for decent music of today it would have to be the jazz singers of the 50's and 60's with innoventions like scat and the ability to improvise at any given time . Not to mention the Crooners ,   Bing Crosby can still leave a girl weak at the knees with a key change so smooth you could wrap it round you like a fur coat  wub.gif  .

And Gonzo
I think rock needs to de-evolve a bit....go back to it's roots.
  There are some marvelous bands around at the moment that are breaking steriotypes and creating new styles  like Steriogram ,   White stripes , The Datsuns all excellent in there own right and perhaps particularly steriogram could be called hyper-evolved Rock . Some of todays music is actually evolving quite nicely it's that beeping thumpy stuff that sucks . Moby has alot to answer for   disgust.gif  

#18    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:39 PM

As a Musician, I can say that most genres of music do evolve constantly. I for one have been very experimental over the years. I mix all sorts of different aspects together and make music that jams, rocks and majorly kicks ass.

I write mainly rock right now. I have about 300-400 songs about love, reality, pain and imagination. All of which, have a different sound and style for each (or so I've been told). I have not made it big in the states yet, but I suspect I will get another one or two of my songs on the radio again.

My 'alter ego' is hip-hop or rap. Where I write all sorts of crazy stuff. Not about drugs, bitches, etc.  all the time. It is mainly about realization, life and other crazy metaphysical aspects of this world or society. Everything in the world has sterotypical aspects, and I believe rap or hip-hop gets under-rated becuase of the mainstream crap that we all hear constantly.  

Hip-hop music will evolve both ways; mainstream and underground. That is why I picked Hip-Hop on the poll. It will be around forever, mainly because of all the stuff you can say and get away with within a small amount of time. It can be crossed with any style of music and sound decent, depending on who does it (of course). I have adapted all sorts of instruments to my instrumentals, sitar, banjo, the list really goes on forever.

My most influential bands or groups are as follows..

Beatles, Grateful Dead, Phish, Incubus, Korn, Pantera, Metallica, RATM, RHCP, Nirvana, Jack Johnson, Foo Fighters, Nas, Dr. Dre, Eminem, Twista, Dispatch, Soundgarden, Audioslave, Dave Mathews Band, Rusted Root, Alice in Chains, The Doors, Led Zepplin, any Classical music. The list actually goes on forever. These are only the Mainstream Bands I know of... I love Local bands and Underground Groups or artists etc.

Basically, keep your mind open about music (all genres), because anything and everything will and can change your opinions.
Just don't form a concrete opinion about music, becuase just like your spiritual beliefs, they can and will change.  wink2.gif

Music is my highest Interest in life, I love playing guitar and singing, as well as, writing or freestyling rap lyrics, or writing instrumentals on the computer (with live intruments). I will play and write new stuff till the day I die, promise.

Later Homies,

MC

Edited by Mentalcase, 25 March 2004 - 02:43 PM.

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#19    tarabull

tarabull

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

• Life is too short to let it suck...

Posted 25 March 2004 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (Dowdy @ Mar 25 2004, 06:20 AM)
Damn! We have alot of rock freaks in here.

I'm the only one who voted for rap sad.gif

Don't sweat it Dowdy, thumbsup.gif I'm with ya >> RAP/HIP HOP all the way!! Rock is so mainstream >> YUCK!

Edited by tarabull, 25 March 2004 - 03:24 PM.

The only thing I'm 100% for sure about is today; do not let yourself be cheated of it.

The Kidz

#20    mysticus22

mysticus22

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:12 PM

There are several bands that have been very influential in their own way. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin have already been mentioned several times. I have not seen Pink Floyd mentioned anywhere. They have a career that spans 39 years from their beginnings. The Beatles influenced a whole range of musicians with their psychadelia (Sgt Pepper), but Floyd went on to influence other bands. They started the more underground psychadelic movement and were the first band to develop a light show to make their gigs even more of an experience.
They were always innovative with their music. Echoes is a 20 minute track that seems to represent a journey on a submarine, but can also been seen as journey into your mind (with the help of certain substances). Dark Side of the Moon is in my opinion the first true concept album. It deals with inner fears, madness, lack of communication, and the duality of life. The idea of a concept album has been copied by several bands and musicians. From Rick Wakeman to Rush, from Led Zeppelin to Muse, and even Iron Maiden.
The Wall was the biggest ever multi media concept. It was a combination of music, theatre, and film. It dealt with alienation and being so locked inside yourself because of events in life that knock you back to the point that you're no longer yourself.
Pink Floyds' music will still be played in 50 years time, just like the Beatles.
Rock music in whatever form will always come back, for the simple reason that it deals with real life. The anger about government plans and environmental issues as put to us by System of a Down in the loudest possible way as well as the fun and lightheartedness of The Darkness. It's Rock and it will always survive the pointless ramblings of some rapper declaring how fantastic he is and how much cash he has to spend, and the pap that seems to clog up the charts.

#21    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:27 PM

Don't sweat it Dowdy,  I'm with ya >> RAP/HIP HOP all the way!! Rock is so mainstream >> YUCK!

LOL an rap is so underground. wacko.gif  

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#22    tarabull

tarabull

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 301 posts

• Life is too short to let it suck...

Posted 25 March 2004 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (wunarmdscissor @ Mar 25 2004, 05:27 PM)
Don't sweat it Dowdy,  I'm with ya >> RAP/HIP HOP all the way!! Rock is so mainstream >> YUCK!

LOL an rap is so underground. wacko.gif

I'm sure we can all agree that regardless of the type....music is so able to wash away the dust of everyday life  whistling2.gif

Without music, life is a journey through a desert.
~ Pat Conroy ~

Can I get a Hell Ya????!!!!!!!  thumbsup.gif

The only thing I'm 100% for sure about is today; do not let yourself be cheated of it.

The Kidz

#23    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (MC)
Later Homies,

and still I look and I see a skinny white boy  grin2.gif

I think you may like a liitle  pacific Hip-hop MC a breed of music unto itself .
King Kapisi mighty talented in the area of experiment and innovation .
and Che Fu an emense musical talent  ..
  Both completely different styles Che fu can do just about any genre there is and King Kapisi  seems unaffected by genre constraints . They did a song together recently called 'you can't resist us ' it's very good . And you can watch the video  
w00t.gifHere apparently I can't get it to work . I think it's the dreaded dial up .  No there not nun chakas  the're Thongs /jandals/flipflops or whatever else people may want to call them .

And now when I read your lyrics I'm going to see you as a big Samoan dude  thumbsup.gif

Edited by Kismit, 26 March 2004 - 04:55 AM.

#24    Mentalcase

Mentalcase

Space Cadet

• 5,346 posts

• Most Thugish Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:34 PM

Hahaha  laugh.gif  

http://ancientaliensdebunked.com/  <~Ancient Aliens DEBUNKED!
I think that it is much more likely that the reports of flying saucers are the results of the known irrational characteristics of terrestrial intelligence than of the unknown rational efforts of extra-terrestrial intelligence ~Richard Feynman http://www.myspace.com/7leafclover

#25    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:37 PM

Can I get a Hell Ya????!!!!!!!

Hell yeah grin2.gif  

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#26    Jasu

Jasu

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

• "It was so great, that I am going to have to make up a word to describe it. It was scrumptrilescent."
    - Will Ferrell

Posted 26 March 2004 - 10:00 PM

Technically, punk and grundge came from rock. And if you were including those, then you should have had a heavy metal section. Some of the most influential bands are The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, and Red Hot Chili Peppers. And for the one that evolves the most, I would have to say rap. It starts from crap, then goes to crappy, then goes to crappier, then so on and so forth.

For the last time, no means yes.

Sometimes I think I've gone too far. Then I turn on the T.V.

Some people say that the glass is half empty. Some people say that the glass is half full. I say that the glass is twice as big as it is supposed to be.

I got this awesome tickets, and all it cost me was 20% of my brain function. Life is greaawwwaaaaa........aaaaaaa. - Homer

#27    Jasu

Jasu

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

• "It was so great, that I am going to have to make up a word to describe it. It was scrumptrilescent."
    - Will Ferrell

Posted 26 March 2004 - 10:02 PM

QUOTE (Diebytheflyguy @ Mar 23 2004, 11:55 PM)

Red Hot Chili Peppers are my vote because they have been able to adapt and changes to the times. Forming in the early 80's and still going today in the 00's this band is one of the greatest bands today. They have many hit singles and CD's and have gained popularity. SHOW ME A BAND FROM THE 80'S THAT ARE STILL GOING STRONG.

Metallica started out in the 80's, about 1983 with their first album. But I wouldn't say they are today what they used to be.

For the last time, no means yes.

Sometimes I think I've gone too far. Then I turn on the T.V.

Some people say that the glass is half empty. Some people say that the glass is half full. I say that the glass is twice as big as it is supposed to be.

I got this awesome tickets, and all it cost me was 20% of my brain function. Life is greaawwwaaaaa........aaaaaaa. - Homer

#28    final flight

final flight

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 10:36 PM

Definatly the who, ACDC, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and the stones. thumbsup.gif  

Posted Image
You Might Be Canadian If...

-You know that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) don't always look like that.
-You can eat more than one maple sugar candy without feeling nauseous.
-You think -10 C is mild weather.
-You know the ingredients for poutine.  
-You die a little inside if you can't get your Tim's double-double every morning.  
-You know the difference between real snow and "television" snow -- the white stuff that passes for snow on tv and in films. You scream, "For Christsake! That should be sticking to their pants!" and "Lookit, it's not melting! That's *so* not snow!" when watching 'Winter' scenes.
-You understand the phrase "Could you pass me a serviette, I just dropped my poutine, on the chesterfield."

#29    Battlestar Scralatchtica

Battlestar Scralatchtica

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 195 posts

• So Epic

Posted 26 March 2004 - 10:36 PM

evanescence kicks they rule
you might not think that but I do

Attached Files

FACT: Twilight is for preteens and fat goth chicks that shop at Hot Topic

#30    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,249 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 10:46 PM

Van Halen will be the monster tour of the summer!

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated."
- Hunt for the Skinwalker

"So many people forget that the first country the Nazis invaded was their own." Dr. Abraham Erskine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users