Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Micheal Moore

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#16    Azael

Azael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 129 posts

• Media Vita in Morte Sumus

Posted 30 March 2004 - 02:22 PM

Michael Moore is slovenly and ugly.
He's also ingenius and has balls of steel.

He's everything a documentarian should be. Or George Lucas.

#17    Monkyburd

Monkyburd

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• "TIME is an abstract concept created by carbon based life forms to monitor their ongoing decay" ~Thunderclese

Posted 31 March 2004 - 01:23 AM

Azael? I don't know whether to laugh or cry at your comment laugh.gif  crying.gif

disgust.gif Ha, I don't know about Moore supporting Bill Clinton in any way at all.  He has made numerous jabs at Bill in the past and has recently in his books and documentaries.  He doesn't support Bush or Bill.

Ahem, I will admit under our Bushman here we have shown the world we are a superpower, that the United Staes is still #1 in the world grin2.gif  huh.gif Oh wait, what about medicare and hmos and equal rights and the environment and big business? Wow, I guess we're just number 1 in the "Going to War" category and thats all that needs to be adressed. Eh, who needs any of that other crap anyway? whistling2.gif

As for "Having no ideas to make anything better," How about we look at this for a sec, okay?...
Brief Article, Page and a half..

#18    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 09:07 AM

i love it how Moore supported Wesley Clark whilst at the same time slamming the Iraq war:)

oh the hypocrisy

#19    Sweetpumper

Sweetpumper

Heatseeker

• 10,637 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 04:51 PM

I have a hard time taking anything seriously from a guy who always looks like he's just rolled out from behind a dumpster. original.gif  

"At it's most basic level, science is supposed to represent the investigation of the unexplained, not the explanation of the uninvestigated." - Hunt for the Skinwalker

"The ultimate irony of the Disclosure movement is that it deeply distrusts officialdom, while simultaneously looking to officialdom for the truth." - Robbie Graham Silver Screen Saucers

#20    Monkyburd

Monkyburd

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• "TIME is an abstract concept created by carbon based life forms to monitor their ongoing decay" ~Thunderclese

Posted 31 March 2004 - 11:20 PM

That's what's great about Moore, he does look like he's just rolled out from behind a dumpster.  He doesn't look like some preppy senator or a prim and proper aristocrat. He's breaking a stereotype, it's like seeing hello kitty whip out a gun and start killing people. cool.gif

Besides, at the core Moore is a comedian, he just uses politics as the punch line.

Edited by Monkyburd, 31 March 2004 - 11:20 PM.

#21    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 03:05 AM

and to push his own political agendas:)

#22    stillcrazy

stillcrazy

Poltergeist

• 2,172 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 05:34 AM

QUOTE (Sweetpumper @ Mar 31 2004, 09:51 AM)
I have a hard time taking anything seriously from a guy who always looks like he's just rolled out from behind a dumpster. original.gif

LOL, that's about the truest statement I've heard in a long time.  thumbsup.gif  

#23    Ash

Ash

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 05:11 PM

i just have to say you can trust Moore more then you can trust the US government

Edited by Ash, 07 April 2004 - 05:13 PM.

So he bombs while he tries to tell jokes.
This ain't a false alarm, can't you smell the smoke?
You're in the line of fire where they buy and sell votes.
Our sense of liberty doesn't ring true, stupid, that's why the bell broke.
- Sage Francis

#24    snog44

snog44

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 01:50 AM

Moore has never been much more than a proponent of his own political views. while they are neither completely true, they are not completely false either, and he does bring up some good points in "Columbine"

My biggest complaint about Moore is that he likes to characterize all poor people as being the victims of some sort of capitalistic conspiracy. (see "Roger and Me")

In this movie he decries GM leaving Flint Michigan for Mexico, and leaving behind a whole lot of jobless people.

While located in Flint, GM paid it's unskilled laborers far more than market rate for unskilled labor. (it was either $30K a year or $30/hr. I can't remember which) Basically, this allowed the citizens of Flint to get a very high paying job without learning any real marketable skill. When GM left, there wee no businesses who were willing to hire unskilled laborers at the inflated rate and they were screwed. They were lucky to get a job flipping burgers.

In short, if GM was guilty of anything, it was letting these unskilled workers think that there services were worth the amount of money GM paid them. Had the rate been closer to market rate, it is more likely that some of them at least would have gone to college or at least learned some sort of marketable skill.

#25    dezavala

dezavala

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 02:42 AM

Just for the record, it didn't take a week and a half or a couple of days to point the finger at Al-Qaeda.  I remember hearing it on the radio that same day that it was Osama Bin Laden behind the whole thing.  It's not like no one knew Osama was out there before this.  Remember the Cole?  The American Embassies in Africa?  That was Al-Qaeda too.  

Also, Michael Moore brings up good points, but he does come off as kinda whiny and irrational sometimes.  

#26    Monkyburd

Monkyburd

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:45 AM

I did see Roger and Me, and Moore did present a one sided case.  Flint went under because of the combination of GM's plant closings and the powerful unions which basically favored lazy ass workers. sad.gif   But still, Moore utilizes the human perspective in his documentaries, and the scene with at least a dozen families being thrown out to the curb on christmas eve pulled at my heartstrings. crying.gif  

Besides, if a company is in the billion dollar range for profits, don't you think they could be a little considerate? Yeah, its business but its also unbelievably heartless. devil.gif  

As for getting an education; the auto industry supported their fathers and their father's father, and with the unions it seemed the auto jobs in Flint were secure. The entire town depended on the plants, they wouldn't sell them... rolleyes.gif

huh.gif As for what Dezavala wrote, I don't know what point you were trying to get across, probably that,yes, we knew about the threat of Al Queda long before the towers fell.  I think we did too, and the sept. 11 commission keeps finding out more about this issue.

#27    dezavala

dezavala

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 03:49 AM

QUOTE (Monkyburd @ Mar 29 2004, 04:11 AM)
Ahem, after 9/11 how long was it until we had discovered the terrorist organization behind the problem was Al Queda? Maybe, a week and a half? Maybe longer?

I was just saying that we knew who it was that same day.  That was the point.  

#28    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:09 AM

Just for the record, it didn't take a week and a half or a couple of days to point the finger at Al-Qaeda. I remember hearing it on the radio that same day that it was Osama Bin Laden behind the whole thing. It's not like no one knew Osama was out there before this. Remember the Cole? The American Embassies in Africa? That was Al-Qaeda too.

think of every terrorist attack, how long does it take before people start saying who itmight have been...

#29    dezavala

dezavala

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 184 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:38 AM

And we were right on....that very first day.  That was my whole point.  If you want me to state it again it is this.   It did not take days or weeks to figure out it was Al-Qaeda, we knew the first day.  

#30    snog44

snog44

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 05:21 AM

As I watched the 9/11 drama unfold as it happened, I felt it was more likely that anti-globalists were involved rather than Islamists. I don't know if anyone remembers, but there were some pretty intense WTO protests going on just prior to the attacks. I was actaully sort of shocked to hear it was al-queda, becuase up to that point attacking civillian targets just wasn't part of thier MO.

Prior to 9/11, Islamists had limited thier direct attacks on american interests to military targets, like the USS Cole and Al-Khobar. As unwarranted as these attacks may have seemed, they were still attacks on combatant targets, although the Geneva conventions considers off-duty soldiers to be non-combatants. I know for my intents and purposes, if they are a military threat, they are so even while asleep and therefor fair game. In this resepct I disagree with that aspect of the GC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users