Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where is Atlantis?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1    Grey_Wolf

Grey_Wolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:18 AM

Atlantis,
I guess we all know what it is or what we have read about it, but i havent read up on it yet...
all i know it was a city that was lost for good...

now they say that it could be in the black sea cause that was connected to the euro continient,

ermmmmm wasnt the whole worlds contenints at 1 b4?

pleae if anyone has any web pages or info on Atlantis i would love to read on it original.gif  

========================================
What would the world be without WAR!

#2    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 02:56 AM

I wrote an article on the possible whereabouts of Atlantis.  It's in the editorial section.  Please click the Editorials button at the top and it's under guest submissions.  But in short, I believe Atlantis resides exactly where Plato says it is: in the Atlantic Ocean, beyond the Pillars of Heracles (aka the Straits of Gilbrator) on the edge of the Mediterranean Sea.

History is like Time - it always repeats itself.

#3    Grey_Wolf

Grey_Wolf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 08:56 AM

Sweet thanks for that
Ishall read up on it..

thumbsup.gif  

What would the world be without WAR!

#4    Azael

Azael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 129 posts

• Media Vita in Morte Sumus

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:09 PM

Personally, I believe it is not in the Atlantic Ocean, but rather somewhere along the Mediterranean Sea.  I don't buy the whole "continent" thing because ancient scholars tended to blow things out of proportion.

#5    WorkMonkey

WorkMonkey

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 06:48 PM

So erm...did I miss the part where the evidence was found saying Atlantis existed?

The Proposer - "there is well documented evidence of eyewitness acounts of god."

BEST QUOTE EVERRRRRRRRR

#6    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• 1,521 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 07:17 PM

QUOTE (WorkMonkey @ Apr 1 2004, 03:48 PM)
So erm...did I miss the part where the evidence was found saying Atlantis existed?

People have claimed that have found Atlantis everywhere from North America to the Antartic, but none of these claims have been validated.

#7    Monkyburd

Monkyburd

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• "TIME is an abstract concept created by carbon based life forms to monitor their ongoing decay" ~Thunderclese

Posted 02 April 2004 - 02:32 AM

I believe the true Atlantis exsisted in the Medditerranian area, but they created colonies all over the world at some time. Perhaps a link between the Incas, the Mayas, the Eygptians, and the other "pyramid builders"

#8    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• 1,521 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 03:28 AM

True.  Colonies may be the reason why so many civilizations are very similiar in nature, but there has to be a central point -- an origin of these people.  An island.

#9    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

• It shouldn't be "Seize the day" but "Seize *every* day"

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:02 AM

I've always liked the idea of it being in Antartica. It's a large landmass that, when viewed as the centre of a map, it is the centre of the world, surrounded by land...I'm quite sure that was part of the desription - that it was an island surrounded by land - though, i havent read up on it much lately.

Here's a site that gives supporting evidence for it being under the South China Sea. The site makes a pretty strong case.

Atlantis in the South China Sea

No matter what anyone says, Atlantis was not on Crete. It's too disappointing to think that the great and amazing civilisation described by Plato can be such a teeny tiny island.

I agree that Atlantis must have existed. The official first civilisations sprang up way to fast to have been developing on their own.

You don't have to believe that it will or believe that it wont - just that it's possible.

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...

Long live PLGROYR!

#10    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• 1,521 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE (Potholer @ Apr 2 2004, 02:02 AM)

No matter what anyone says, Atlantis was not on Crete. It's too disappointing to think that the great and amazing civilisation described by Plato can be such a teeny tiny island.

Crete?  A teeny tiny island?  It may not look much now as a half moon, but who knows what resided in the middle of that gigantic crater?  Crete aka Santori was one huge island at one point, but it was blown apart by a large volcanic explosion seen all around the world in 1600 BCE.  Ancient ruins have been found on both sides of the island nick named the Minoan civilization, after King Mynos.  Both sets of ruins show frescos of beautiful art told by Plato in his accounts of Atlantis and show hints of springs that once sprouted hot and cold water.  I'm not saying Crete aka Santori is Atlantis, but so far it has all the markers of Plato's story, more so than any other location excavated.

And Antarica is a theorist's dream for Atlantis as it's virtually impossible to search for remains of the lost island there due to the frigit cold and unending and unmeasurable size of the ice caps in the area.  But I agree, there has to be a land mass underneath all that ice somewhere.

#11    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:28 AM

Isn't it Thera that got blown apart by the volcano? In fact, Thera IS a volcano - albiet half of one since it blew. Crete is the wide island lower...on the edge of the mediterranean sea... ohmy.gif But, by it's position adn the area aroound it, Thera still couldn't have been too much bigger...

Sorry, I got my names mixed up. Crete has some beautiful frescos as well. We studied it in class when I was 13 (ok, so that sounds really unimpressive. The impressive bit is that I still rememeber so much 3 years later) and brushed over Thera as well. I thought that Crete was also believed to have been home to Atlanteans? I've probably just got Thera and Crete confused but hey.

If Atlantis 'sunk' wouldn't it be an idea to map the underwater geography of all seas that would be big enough to have held a civilisation as big as Atlantis?

original.gif

Potholer

You don't have to believe that it will or believe that it wont - just that it's possible.

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

Long live PLGROYR!

#12    WorkMonkey

WorkMonkey

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:26 AM

When talking about a big civilisation it would be wise of you to keep it in context with contemporary civilisations of the day, take for example, Athens at its peak,  had about 300,000 people living in it. If we assume Atlantis was another small city state on an island then I very much doubt it was the size of africa.

The Proposer - "there is well documented evidence of eyewitness acounts of god."

BEST QUOTE EVERRRRRRRRR

#13    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:09 AM

Atlantis isn't an ancient civilisation as in Roman or Greek or whatever civilsiation.

Atlantis existed before that and therefore Athens or any other ancient city cannot be used to compare.

At least, that's what I think original.gif

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

Long live PLGROYR!

#14    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 02 April 2004 - 12:25 PM

Ahh but it isnt pre-supposed that atlantis was merley an island, It is believed that it could have been a continent.

Now the problem with believing that atlantis was where antartica is , is dates.

Im sure we've all heard of graham hancock and his theories but his theories on the age of atlantis dont match when the antartica was not ice bound , i mean you have to go back hundreds an hundreds of thousands of years ago to suppose atlantis once existed there.

Im not saying it didnt but it means a whole new radical approach on the thinking of just how mankind was formed and when.

A lot to pre-suppose to say the least.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#15    WorkMonkey

WorkMonkey

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 03:03 PM

A continent does not merely vanish, There arent many scenarios that would account for thousands of km of bed rock that supported a land mass to the sea bed simply dissapearing and the continent sinking, so it seems far more likely it was a island, and as for antarctica, sounds like a stupid theory someone made because they know it cant be disprooven. ie because the evidence is under many km's of ice formed hundreds of thousands of years ago.
ho ho.

Edited by WorkMonkey, 02 April 2004 - 03:04 PM.

BEST QUOTE EVERRRRRRRRR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users