Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where is Atlantis?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#16    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts

• It shouldn't be "Seize the day" but "Seize *every* day"

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:41 PM

Dates are definately a problem...

Rand Flem-ath, to my knowledge, is a leading writer in this particular theory.

He explains the disappearance of Atlantis using the theory of Earth Crust Displacement. That at the end of the last ice age (about 12000yrs ago) the whole earth crust slid down therefore changing Antartica's postion from out of the artic circle (wait...is the artic circle the northern polar area? Or are they both "artic circles") to within. This theory was first propsed by Charles H. Hapgood.

A little info on it - Earth Crust Displacement

There are a number of old maps that alledgedly show antartica without ice. These maps were made before 1820 when antartica was officially discovered by modern day explorers. For example the Oronteus Finaeus Map and the Piri Reis map.

While reading up on this stuff just now, I found it said that the Atlantic ocean has been mapped with sonar and nothing resembling a continent or island was found. What now then?

Edited by Potholer, 02 April 2004 - 08:56 PM.

You don't have to believe that it will or believe that it wont - just that it's possible.

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...

Long live PLGROYR!

#17    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:59 PM

The purpose of mentioning the maps was to say that it's possible there was/were more advanced civilisation(s) that we havent got recorded in our history books.

A site with a number of maps that look remarkably similar to antartica.
Maps

Is this stuff off topic?

Meh

original.gif

Potholer

You don't have to believe that it will or believe that it wont - just that it's possible.

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

Long live PLGROYR!

#18    Monkyburd

Monkyburd

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• "TIME is an abstract concept created by carbon based life forms to monitor their ongoing decay" ~Thunderclese

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:44 PM

One thing I know for sure,.. Disney doesn't know anything about it! laugh.gif  

#19    KayEl

KayEl

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:50 PM

Where is Atlantis.... dontgetit.gif

It is all made up, darling. original.gif
It was all from Plato's imagination just to prove a stupid point. whistling2.gif
Believe it or not, the ancients can make up fiction also! cool.gif

#20    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 04:11 AM

QUOTE (KayEl @ Apr 3 2004, 12:50 AM)
Where is Atlantis.... dontgetit.gif

It is all made up, darling. original.gif
It was all from Plato's imagination just to prove a stupid point. whistling2.gif
Believe it or not, the ancients can make up fiction also! cool.gif

No-one knows where it is.

But it's so much more fun to believe it's true, however silly and unfounded original.gif.

What point was he proving?

Have any of you guys actaully read Timeous and Creteas or whatever they're called? I haven't and I'm curious to know exactly what plato says about it. Didn't somone post a thread containing them a while back? One of the mods...

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

Long live PLGROYR!

#21    The Raven

The Raven

Wanderer

• 1,684 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 04:49 AM

QUOTE (Atlantis Rises @ Apr 1 2004, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (WorkMonkey @ Apr 1 2004, 03:48 PM)
So erm...did I miss the part where the evidence was found saying Atlantis existed?

People have claimed that have found Atlantis everywhere from North America to the Antartic, but none of these claims have been validated.

whistling2.gif  I read something in a fiction novel about Atlantis and the Bermuda Triangle (basis of the book) and I think the guy was trying to prove the existance of it through his novel, or he had some real facts. Even so, it was a great book. Called : Atlantis: The Bermuda Triangle ---- I think it's by 'Greg Dongle' (Pen Name)

Anyways, I think it exists or existed somewhere, the most plausable places I think is just above cape horn, but out in the sea, near the East Coast of the United States, The Indian Ocean, or maybe in the center of the Atlantic.  cat.gif

Dates are definately a problem...

Rand Flem-ath, to my knowledge, is a leading writer in this particular theory.

He explains the disappearance of Atlantis using the theory of Earth Crust Displacement. That at the end of the last ice age (about 12000yrs ago) the whole earth crust slid down therefore changing Antartica's postion from out of the artic circle (wait...is the artic circle the northern polar area? Or are they both "artic circles") to within. This theory was first propsed by Charles H. Hapgood.

A little info on it - Earth Crust Displacement

There are a number of old maps that alledgedly show antartica without ice. These maps were made before 1820 when antartica was officially discovered by modern day explorers. For example the Oronteus Finaeus Map and the Piri Reis map.

While reading up on this stuff just now, I found it said that the Atlantic ocean has been mapped with sonar and nothing resembling a continent or island was found. What now then?

This is exactly what Greg Dongle wrote about in his book! I MEAN EXACTLY! It sounds VERY plausable to me. It also showed 'Atlantis' as being Antarctica or something...I suggest reading his book. (Even though it is fiction)

Edited by The Raven, 03 April 2004 - 04:53 AM.

Baron Wormser said:

What brought me to the woods was the longing to be with words in an undistracted place. 'Woods' and 'words' were almost identical.

Wayfarer - A Journey in Thought and Creation

#22    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 04 April 2004 - 08:21 AM

I can't believe that Atlantis was written about by one man, who wasn't even an historian and all other trusted historians of his era never even mentioned such a land and yet, by some people, it's taken as the gospel truth.

Interesting don't you think?

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

Long live PLGROYR!

#23    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 04 April 2004 - 01:34 PM

Perhaps proof of this civilization is under the one place left unexplored in the world?
The miles of ice under antartica

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#24    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 04 April 2004 - 04:29 PM

Yes Student&Alive, someone has already mentioned that in this thread above. This theory is really only workable if you take into account crust displacement theory as this would allow for some of Antartica to be free from ice as recent as 10,500BC. In his book Fingerprints of the Gods, Graham Hancock  references this theory and the maps of an iceless  (and at that point undiscovered) antartica from the 16th century to make his case for the possibilty of Atlantis being there. Unfortunately this Crust displacement theory has been widely discredited, even Mr Hancock has retracted his belief in it as a viable possibilty.

It is my belief that there was an ancient civilisation that dated back before the civilisations which current historians mark as the first. I think there is a danger though that by calling it Atlantean, you conjure imagery that has been associated with it by fanasists ever since Plato first mentioned it (not that i'm calling Plato a fantasist mind you). You must remember that Homo Sapiens have been around for 150 thousand years, to presume that civilisation has only existed in the last few thousand years due only to the lack of imperical evidence is a little presumptious, especially as the evidence for earlier civilastions is not sought by mainstream archeology and science. Indeed it is scoffed at by modern historians.  We shouldn't believe that just because there is no conclusive proof that we should stop looking and keep our minds open.

Like Atlantis, to find earlier civilisations we must look to the ocean, only a tiny amount of underwater archeology has been done as opposed to the enormous amount of land based digs. This is especial relevent when you realise that nearly all major centres of population throughout history were based around rivers and coastlines and that since that last ice age the sea level has risen by a significant amount (50 metres approx i f i recall correctly, i will have to go check that so apologise if i'm wrong). In the last few years around India at least one major city has been discovered that is at such a depth underwater to date it back to way before current historians believe civilisations started.

Hmm i seem to have gone a bit off topic there, but Atlantis? There is a large submerged shelf, of which the exposed bits are the Azores. It is the closest  geographic canidate if Platos description of it being in the Atlantic was correct. Other possibilties are another  large submerged shelf southwest of Ireland (which coincides with the 'Hybrasil' of Portalan maps) and also the bahamas.

never take me too seriously

#25    Byuu94

Byuu94

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 02:05 AM

Purple Stuart, all of what you said is correct, but sea levels have only risen about 25 meters, but that is still a significant amount. It was enough to cover the azorean land mass. Graham Hancock also wrote Underworld about underwater ruins off Alexandria, in the Bay of Bengal, and off Japan. Read it some time!  thumbsup.gif  

Posted Image

"I think that people should make up their own minds for me." - Eric Idle

#26    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 08 April 2004 - 06:42 AM

yep, have read it. will go back and check on water levels

Edited by PurpleStuart, 08 April 2004 - 06:43 AM.

never take me too seriously

#27    careerdrunk

careerdrunk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 08:58 AM

The best estimatiion is still in the Caribbean.  For a long time, I have noticed that island groups seem to be remnants of what once were whole continents or much larger islands.  I recommend Andrew Collins' recent book Gateway to Atlantis.  A fantastic modern book, it examines the evidence for Atlantis.

Looking at the map of the Caribbean and Bahamas (p. 287) one can discern that a continent once existed of which these islands are remnants. The Bahamas and Cuba formed the northern coast with the Lesser Antilles forming the remnant of the eastern coast.  Hispaniola to the mid Caribbean group on to the Yucatan formed the inland of the continent. The Caribbean Sea between Hispaniola and Venezuela may have been an inland body of water of smaller size.  

Its also interesting to note that this same method can be applied to the islands above and on the east of Australia -- the islands from Tasmania to the east and then towards the north to South East Asia and Japan indicate the presence of a larger continent in vastly ancient times.  The continent sinks leaving the islands behind.  "The experts" say that the Aborigines came to Australia from Asia on a bridge of land before it submerged.  However, when one discourses on this method of locating former continents within present day islands, they get bent out of shape.  

ALSO LETS NOT FORGET ABOUT THE DISCOVERY SEVERAL YEARS BACK OF THE SUNKEN CONTINENT YONAGUNI LOCATED OFF OF OKINAWA JAPAN.  
  Info about it can be found on the Internet under the name YONAGUNI.

"The experts" are lying through all of their orifices saying that it is a natural geological formation ---BULL@%&! to that.  Underwater photos show rock structures that cannot possibly be natural.  The media humps are also keeping it silent in a blackout to keep the world from finding out about something which would prove the lie to science's pronunziamento on this one.  Large corporate conglomerates also own major universities which propagate the drivel against the Atlantean contention. They also own the news media -- hence it is detrimental to profits if one component renders invalid the work of another.  They can't make do with  poisoning the environemt and food now they have to poison truth and history as well -- dirty b@$#%rds.  thumbsup.gif  

#28    jimma

jimma

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

• The Horror, Oh,The Horror

Posted 08 April 2004 - 09:03 AM

Ask Patrick Duffy laugh.gif   If you don't know, nippers, don't ask laugh.gif  

#29    Monkyburd

Monkyburd

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• "TIME is an abstract concept created by carbon based life forms to monitor their ongoing decay" ~Thunderclese

Posted 08 April 2004 - 10:19 PM

rolleyes.gif Disregarding the notions of Crust Displacement, water levels rising, and a number of other sunken continents...

alien.gif Could Atlantis have merely been ancient aliens? I mean, human civilization only goes back so far, and the notion that such a magnificent civilization just vanished (if it ever was there) seems far-fetched for some great natural disaster not to be recorded as well.

alien.gif "Do not listen, he is but human!"

#30    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• 1,521 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (Potholer @ Apr 2 2004, 08:09 AM)
Atlantis isn't an ancient civilisation as in Roman or Greek or whatever civilsiation.

Atlantis existed before that and therefore Athens or any other ancient city cannot be used to compare.

At least, that's what I think original.gif

Ah, true!  But Plato says that the forces of Atlantis were defeated by the armies of Athens (Greece), so the Greek civilization can be used as a compasion to a degree.  Plato says Atlantis existed larger than Asia and Libya Minor combined.  Perhaps he meant geographically or their influence was boundiful, we don't know.  The main idea that Atlantis ruled the world at a time when so many other civilizations remained primitive is an awesome feat!

History is like Time - it always repeats itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users