Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where is Atlantis?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31    Atlantis Rises

Atlantis Rises

The Ancient

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (KayEl @ Apr 2 2004, 08:50 PM)
Where is Atlantis.... dontgetit.gif

It is all made up, darling. original.gif
It was all from Plato's imagination just to prove a stupid point. whistling2.gif
Believe it or not, the ancients can make up fiction also! cool.gif

Perhaps, but there are ruins of ancient civilizations being found annually older than the pyramids of Egypt themselves, on land and under the sea.  Plato's account could have merit, and many other civilizations have made mentioned of a sea-faring people who remained one with nature in text and in heiogryphics.

History is like Time - it always repeats itself.

#32    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:45 PM

One thing i find very hard to swallow is the notion that Atlantis could of been Aliens. Why do people find it easy to believe that, instead of the ingenuity of mankind? Homo sapiens have been around for 150,000 years and current history tells us that civilisation has only been around for 6,000 yrs at most. What this really means is we have only found definate proof of 6,00 years and any anomilies have been swept under the carpet by experts who have built their careers on the 'established' facts. Atlantis, if it existed, was not a 'Hi-tech' culture, just a powerful one at the time, like the romans or egyptians in their own time periods.

never take me too seriously

#33    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

• It shouldn't be "Seize the day" but "Seize *every* day"

Posted 09 April 2004 - 06:44 AM

QUOTE (Atlantis Rises @ Apr 8 2004, 11:59 PM)
QUOTE (Potholer @ Apr 2 2004, 08:09 AM)
Atlantis isn't an ancient civilisation as in Roman or Greek or whatever civilsiation.

Atlantis existed before that and therefore Athens or any other ancient city cannot be used to compare.

At least, that's what I think original.gif

Ah, true!  But Plato says that the forces of Atlantis were defeated by the armies of Athens (Greece), so the Greek civilization can be used as a compasion to a degree.  Plato says Atlantis existed larger than Asia and Libya Minor combined.  Perhaps he meant geographically or their influence was boundiful, we don't know.  The main idea that Atlantis ruled the world at a time when so many other civilizations remained primitive is an awesome feat!

I always thought it was taken for granted that Atlantis existed 12,000-14,000 years ago. Everything I've ever read (I think) on Atlantis has said so.

Then again, everything I've ever read on Atlantis has been supporting the "it's in Antartica" theory and therefore, for the theory to work Antartica must be ice free. Apparently the last time this was so was about 12,500BC.

How could Atlantis have been a prominant civilisation at the time of the Greeks and only get one mention? Unless by the time Atlantis was defeated by them, the Atlanteans were on the deline.

You don't have to believe that it will or believe that it wont - just that it's possible.

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

He fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down...

Long live PLGROYR!

#34    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 09 April 2004 - 04:33 PM

How could Atlantis have been a prominant civilisation at the time of the Greeks and only get one mention? Unless by the time Atlantis was defeated by them, the Atlanteans were on the deline.

Plato gives the answer to that if you are to believe him, the egyptian priest said to the man who passed down the story saying that the greeks had a 'short memory' whereas the egyptians had a long one and remembered such things.

I will point out that the above comment is also subject to my 'short memory' as well  grin2.gif  

#35    Monkyburd

Monkyburd

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

• "TIME is an abstract concept created by carbon based life forms to monitor their ongoing decay" ~Thunderclese

Posted 10 April 2004 - 12:41 AM

huh.gif The real reason why I suggested it could be aliens is in support of the fact that the whole civilization just vanished into thin air.  I f it was such a great empire where did it go? An dif it was a natural disaster, then why wasn't it mentioned or recorded by the ancient people (much like the chinese recorded a supernova explosion a few centuries ago).

I did not intend to bog down on "human enginity"

blink.gif I guess the oceans of the world are quite vast and remain far from being totally uncovered and explored, but still...

#36    poleshift

poleshift

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 02:06 AM

Though can't tell where Atlantis is, I think it was covered by Noah's flood. Here is my post about the reason of this flood. http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...=15#entry153957

We are the generation 'iron'. Noah was of the former generation. That's why he could have an age far beyond ours. Atlantee was also of former generation. That's maybe the reason they had more advanced technology than we have so far.

#37    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 03:36 AM

Personally, I think Atlantis is in Antarctica.
Here is a very good website. Atlantis and the Earth's Shifting Crust

#38    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:35 PM

Kellalor - I used to subscribe to that theory but unfortunately its its been disproven - i would provide you with a link, but i'm a little drunk right now, just about to go out clubbing so i won't  grin2.gif  - as i said earlier even Graham Hancock doesn't believe in that anymore and that was the whole basis of his first book 'Fingerprints of the Gods' so that must say something (especially considering what a popularalist(sp?) he is.

Poleshift - i don't get your frame of reference on 'generations' please could you explain further.

Monkyburd - It was documented, you know the great flood et all. I believe it features quite prominantly in the old testement, but, i could be wrong  laugh.gif

Ahh sod this for a giggle i'm off clubbing

#39    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:55 PM

Kellalor - good link btw, had a quick lookysee and it is very interesting but it all hinges on Hapgood, which unfortunatly is flawed. Must admit i wish it wasn't, because it makes a very convincing argument.

#40    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:14 PM

Have you got that link yet PS?

You don't have to believe that it will or believe that it wont - just that it's possible.

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

Long live PLGROYR!

#41    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:15 PM

Have you got that link yet PS?

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

Long live PLGROYR!

#42    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:16 PM

nope - atm am worse the wear from several bottles of Voddy - ermmm will sort it out  later  huh.gif

glad to see you have an lj - add us if you want too

Edited by PurpleStuart, 10 April 2004 - 09:17 PM.

#43    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:23 PM

Lol, Sorry bout posting that thing twice...add UM...? are you a community?

you young'uns and your alcohol...I shall wait patiently then....

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

Long live PLGROYR!

#44    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:34 PM

young'uns! you flatterer i'm 32. Flattery will get you everywhere  laugh.gif

Naah i'm purplestuart on livejournal, though it does feel like a community  sometimes  laugh.gif  

#45    Potholer

Potholer

Psychic Spy

• 1,114 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:41 PM

Hehe. Cool. I'm how_nifty original.gif

Ambyglam.com!
My Livejournal
Girl Power

Long live PLGROYR!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users