Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Strange noises at night - what is it?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,300 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:53 AM

In the past two or three days or so, I have been hearing odd sounds at night. This has been waking me up out of a sound sleep, around 4:30 to 5:00 AM.

It sounds like something brushing or being dragged against the outside wall, next to my bed.  I can hear it move from one side of the wall to another.
Doesn't sound like something walking on the roof, though.   Sometimes it's more like a tapping, but not really a knocking sound. But enough to wake me up!
It usually stops after 2-3 minutes.  

So far I have been too afraid (or tired) to go outside to investigate.  

Any ideas on what it could be, or if this has happend to anyone else?   There are stray cats, squirrels, even the occasional stray dog running around sometimes.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#2    Xammu

Xammu

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

• Sometimes, fear has the appropiate response...

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:56 AM

Mice in the walls?

Posted Image

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.

-Thoreau

#3    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,300 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:58 AM

God, I hope not.  I never hear the noise during the day or in the early evening when it is dark. Even when I officially wake up at 6 AM, I don't here it then either.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#4    Dienasty92

Dienasty92

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:46 AM

Take a picture and find out!

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

#5    Asteroth

Asteroth

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

Whatever it is, it's not supernatural. Maybe Santa.

#6    JamieSymptom

JamieSymptom

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

Could be rats? I think they are more active at night.

At least they were when I lived in my dirty student digs

Posted Image

#7    Mighty Arcturus

Mighty Arcturus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

It's an opossum

#8    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,300 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:38 AM

HELP - IT'S GOT ME!!! CALL A PRIEST!!!

Nope, just kidding. But I did hear it for a few seconds last night at 4:30 AM.    I looked around outside when the sun came up, but didn't see any obvious openings for something to crawl in.
Time for some pest control.   I read on some other website that someone who had the same problem found it was a racoon that was prowling at night, but came in before dawn to rest.

#9    Xammu

Xammu

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

• Sometimes, fear has the appropiate response...

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:56 AM

I remember when I was little, I woke up in the middle of the night to see this giant brown recluse spider dangling 4 inches in front of my face hanging from the ceiling.  I slept with the lights on for three months after that.

Posted Image

As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.

-Thoreau

#10    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,300 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

That would scare me too.

#11    vortex-goliath

vortex-goliath

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:29 PM

If its at the same time each night... well that would be weird.  My dog took to barking at the wall in the kitchen were he sleeps at night, each night for about a week at the same time. It freaked me as there didn't seem to be any reason for it, no noises, nothing there.  Never did find out why. cool.gif

I have a mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.  (Groucho Marx)

#12    Prizma

Prizma

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• "Love is much like a wild rose, beautiful and calm, but willing to draw blood in its defense."

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:26 PM

Any updates on what the pest control guys found, or have they not come yet?  I don't think it's mice, because their scurrying is distinctive.  I am guessing a larger pest.  I would be curious to hear how it all plays out, if you don't mind sharing  original.gif

Posted Image

#13    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,300 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

Good news I guess.   I went to the hardware store and bought some sonic repellants.  You plug them into the wall, and they make a high-pitched noise that most people and housepets can't hear. It took about a day or two, and the noise was gone.  I unplugged them last night, and the noises were back at 5 AM!

I never found any physical evidence, like an actual animal.

Edited by little_dreamer, 28 December 2008 - 02:01 PM.

#14    American Chupacabra

American Chupacabra

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

• I'm not here

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:06 AM

little_dreamer on Dec 18 2008, 06:53 PM, said:

In the past two or three days or so, I have been hearing odd sounds at night. This has been waking me up out of a sound sleep, around 4:30 to 5:00 AM.

It sounds like something brushing or being dragged against the outside wall, next to my bed.  I can hear it move from one side of the wall to another.
Doesn't sound like something walking on the roof, though.   Sometimes it's more like a tapping, but not really a knocking sound. But enough to wake me up!
It usually stops after 2-3 minutes.  

So far I have been too afraid (or tired) to go outside to investigate.  

Any ideas on what it could be, or if this has happend to anyone else?   There are stray cats, squirrels, even the occasional stray dog running around sometimes.

Odd that somebody else has repoted something like this as I was about to. A couple months ago everytime I would sit down at my computer an odd scratching noise would begin taking place inside the wall. For a long time I thought it was a mouse as it only started when I would make some sort of noise but would stop when everything was quiet. It kept going until just recently so either that's a mouse with a very long lifespan or there was some unseen way it was getting in and out. Anyways, my opinion, wait it out. If it doesn't stop after a couple of weeks either get a psychiatrist or get pest control.

Check out my blog

#15    MagicDust

MagicDust

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 12:13 AM

Maybe you should tear open the wall and see what business is going on in there! (joking). No, really you should do something about it, because it's odd how these noises are coming from inside your wall, it must be some sort of pest in there hmm.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users