Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Does the Thylacine still exist ?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

Image credit: Hobart Zoo
Image credit: Hobart Zoo
Australian wildlife scientists have re-opened the cryptic case of the Tasmanian tiger, a marsupial carnivore that resembled a striped coyote and which was last seen alive more than 70 years ago.

Scientists think chances are slim that Thylacinus cynocephalus still roams remote areas of Tasmania, the large island just south of Australia, but they can't help but turn over every possible leaf for evidence.

The last wild Tasmanian tiger was killed by a farmer around 1930, and the last captive died in 1936 at the Hobart Zoo in Tasmania's capital. Fifty years later, the species was declared extinct.

Despite the official extinction, rumored sightings of the creature have continued to emerge from Tasmania's temperate forests.

View: Full Article | Source: Phantoms and Monsters

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Mostly Harmless

• 11,356 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

I sure hope so.  I think there have been enough sitings to warrant saving their habitat.

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost; for none now live who remember it."  Galadriel

#3    theGhost_and_theDarkness

theGhost_and_theDarkness

Tsavo Maneater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

• Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. - Norman Cousins

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:14 PM

I hope they are still around as well.  I've always found them interesting, and I'm sad I never got the chance to see a live one.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

#4    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

Montauk monster skull looks so much like this Thylacinus cynocephalus's skull to me but I'm an observer not an expert.

#5    Odin11

Odin11

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

I hope they are still around also. If they are, someone going to see one and you know the idiot will most likely shoot it instead of filming it or they might film themselves shooting it.

Idiot: “Hey lookie heer I done shot me a Tasmanian tiger.”
Scientist: “Yeah, thanks, now they really are extinct.”

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#6    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:09 PM

Odin11 on Dec 23 2008, 09:44 AM, said:

I hope they are still around also. If they are, someone going to see one and you know the idiot will most likely shoot it instead of filming it or they might film themselves shooting it.

Yeah, no doubt! Same thing they will do to a Bigfoot if they can. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

#7    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

Odin11 on Dec 23 2008, 09:44 AM, said:

The problem is, unless you have a body, most people will just scream, "PhotoShop!" and tell you off.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#8    PhoenixBird88

PhoenixBird88

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 149 posts

• "For every action, there is an equal and opposite re-action."

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

The problem is, unless you have a body, most people will just scream, "PhotoShop!" and tell you off.

True that. Kinda of a catch22. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

#9    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:39 PM

PhoenixBird88 on Dec 23 2008, 12:05 PM, said:

True that. Kinda of a catch22. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

No problem, they will bring back through cloned dna, kill them get them extinct, then clone them again kill them ... ok I will quit now. tongue.gif

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#10    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

Paracelse on Dec 24 2008, 10:39 AM, said:

No problem, they will bring back through cloned dna, kill them get them extinct, then clone them again kill them ... ok I will quit now. tongue.gif

Now that would take some kind of new *********** bad, bad person.

#11    raven544

raven544

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:10 AM

I assumed these were still alive...I remember they were on the Wild Thornberrys game for PS1. Why bother educating us about the habitat of an extinct mammal, really.

#12    Samuronin

Samuronin

Most Valuable Player

• 3,048 posts

• "Be yourself. There is something that you can do better than any other. Listen to the inward voice and bravely obey that. "

Posted 23 March 2009 - 04:25 AM

I wish they are still alive.....

Posted Image
The Difference between the unattainable and the attainable lies in a person's determination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users