Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Vampires Today: Truth About Modern Vampirism

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1    Merticus

Merticus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

Vampires Today: The Truth About Modern Vampirism
By Joseph Laycock

1a. Advertising: Do not advertise or promote other web sites, books, products, media releases or services without express permission from a member of staff. The site is not a free advertising platform, registering an account solely for the purpose of posting promotional material will result in the suspension of your account. If you maintain a personal or other non-commercial web site you may place a short link to it in your profile signature block.

linked-image

Description:  Vampires are not just the stuff of folklore and fiction. This book explores the modern world of vampirism in all its variety. Based upon extensive interviews with members of the Atlanta Vampire Alliance and others within vampire communities throughout the United States, Vampires Today looks at the many expressions of vampirism: "lifestyle vampires," those who adopt a culture and a gothic ascetic associated with the vampires of art and legend; "real vampires," those who believe they must actually consume blood and/or psychic energy for their well being; or others who self-identify in some way as vampires. Is vampirism a religion? Is it a fantasy? Is it a medical condition? Is it a little bit of each?  

Throughout the world, untold numbers of people are self-identifying as "vampires" and following the ways of "vampirism." Over the years, but particularly in the past decade or so, vampirism has come under increased study, yet most scholarship has portrayed the vampire community at best as a cultural phenomenon and at worst as a religious cult. In this book, author Laycock explores the modern world of vampirism in all its variety. Having interviewed many vampires across the country, both "lifestylers" and "real," even those "reluctants" who try not to be vampires, he argues that today's vampires are best understood as an identity group and that vampirism has caused a profound change in how individuals choose to define themselves. As vampires come "out of the closet," either as followers of a "religion" or "lifestyle" or as people biologically distinct from other humans, their confrontation with mainstream society will raise questions about the definition of "normal" and what it means to be human. In this book the reader will meet "lifestyle" vampires, who adopt a culture and a gothic ascetic associated with the vampires of art and legend; and "real" vampires, who believe that they must actually consume blood and/or psychic energy for their well being. The reader will hear from members of the Atlanta Vampire Alliance and will learn about the Order of the Vampyre, the Ordo Strigoi Vii, and the Temple of the Vampire. Even before Dracula and Bella Lugosi, people have been fascinated with vampires, and this interest has continued, through Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire and other novels, to HBO's new series True Blood and the recent big-screen hit Twilight. Readers will find the details of real vampire life--including vampire role-playing games, grimoires, "vampyre" balls, vampire houses like House Sahjaza and House Kheperu, the vampire "caste" system, and other details--utterly fascinating.

Edited by aquatus1, 15 May 2009 - 06:42 PM.

Vampirism & Energy Work Research Study (VEWRS & AVEWRS Surveys):  http://www.suscitatio.com
Atlanta Vampire Alliance:  http://www.atlantavampirealliance.com
Merticus - Personal Website  http://www.merticus.com

#2    Aanica

Aanica

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Merticus on Dec 29 2008, 04:56 PM, said:

Vampires Today: The Truth About Modern Vampirism
By Joseph Laycock

1a. Advertising: Do not advertise or promote other web sites, books, products, media releases or services without express permission from a member of staff. The site is not a free advertising platform, registering an account solely for the purpose of posting promotional material will result in the suspension of your account. If you maintain a personal or other non-commercial web site you may place a short link to it in your profile signature block.
linked-image

Description:  Vampires are not just the stuff of folklore and fiction. This book explores the modern world of vampirism in all its variety. Based upon extensive interviews with members of the Atlanta Vampire Alliance and others within vampire communities throughout the United States, Vampires Today looks at the many expressions of vampirism: "lifestyle vampires," those who adopt a culture and a gothic ascetic associated with the vampires of art and legend; "real vampires," those who believe they must actually consume blood and/or psychic energy for their well being; or others who self-identify in some way as vampires. Is vampirism a religion? Is it a fantasy? Is it a medical condition? Is it a little bit of each?  

Throughout the world, untold numbers of people are self-identifying as "vampires" and following the ways of "vampirism." Over the years, but particularly in the past decade or so, vampirism has come under increased study, yet most scholarship has portrayed the vampire community at best as a cultural phenomenon and at worst as a religious cult. In this book, author Laycock explores the modern world of vampirism in all its variety. Having interviewed many vampires across the country, both "lifestylers" and "real," even those "reluctants" who try not to be vampires, he argues that today's vampires are best understood as an identity group and that vampirism has caused a profound change in how individuals choose to define themselves. As vampires come "out of the closet," either as followers of a "religion" or "lifestyle" or as people biologically distinct from other humans, their confrontation with mainstream society will raise questions about the definition of "normal" and what it means to be human. In this book the reader will meet "lifestyle" vampires, who adopt a culture and a gothic ascetic associated with the vampires of art and legend; and "real" vampires, who believe that they must actually consume blood and/or psychic energy for their well being. The reader will hear from members of the Atlanta Vampire Alliance and will learn about the Order of the Vampyre, the Ordo Strigoi Vii, and the Temple of the Vampire. Even before Dracula and Bella Lugosi, people have been fascinated with vampires, and this interest has continued, through Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire and other novels, to HBO's new series True Blood and the recent big-screen hit Twilight. Readers will find the details of real vampire life--including vampire role-playing games, grimoires, "vampyre" balls, vampire houses like House Sahjaza and House Kheperu, the vampire "caste" system, and other details--utterly fascinating.
This looks like a great book but when they find you out here, they will delete you..Im not tellin but someone will, cool book

Edited by aquatus1, 15 May 2009 - 06:43 PM.

#3    Merticus

Merticus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

To my knowledge this is in the appropriate section and applicable subject matter.  Take care!

Vampirism & Energy Work Research Study (VEWRS & AVEWRS Surveys):  http://www.suscitatio.com

#4    Aanica

Aanica

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,299 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:33 PM

Merticus on Dec 29 2008, 05:11 PM, said:

To my knowledge this is in the appropriate section and applicable subject matter.  Take care!
I dont mind, I know they are sometimes very funny about stuff here, like I said I'm not tellin...

#5    isis-999

isis-999

Goddess Of Darkness and Desire

• 5,312 posts

• The Bestowed Eye's of my God, Eye's of my past, lover of my future.. A Thousand's lifes all to live this One...The Steel Circle,

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:21 AM

This looks like a best seller..

Posted Image
THE BESTOWED EYE'S OF MY GOD... GODDESS OF DESIRE....http://paranormalborder.net/index/
Sig By: Arsenik...... My Favorite vampire!!

#6    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

• ~"Blessed are we who laugh at ourselves for we never cease to be amused!"~

~"The best way to make our dreams come true is to wake up!~"-Paul Valery

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

Looks interesting. I've always found the people that "act" like Vampyre's to be interesting to say the least. wacko.gif  ALthough there is a large underground scene in Hollywood, CA. that has alot of people that would call themselves true Vampyres. And after being around them I know there are some that I take seriously. And everytime I have seen someone draw blood to drink the other participant was willing. And the procedure for drawing blood is more often than not done by a lancet if I'm not mistaken. Everything clean and sterile. Alot of them are normal (depending on ones defenition of normal) people with an interesting perk. Of course there are always some people to every minority that stand out due to personallity, actions, etc. but I digress.
It looks to be an interesting read.

I have always had a problem with psychic vampyres.  My personallity always tends to collide with these energy eaters.

devil.gif

"The angel of self-deceit is camped in the souls of the "Righteous"--The eternal flame of power through joy dwellith within the flesh of the Satanist!"--Anton Szandor LaVey

"Tis' true my form is something odd but blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul. The mind's the standard of the man."--Isaac Watts

#7    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,243 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:26 AM

Looks like a well decent pearl sinker!!! Thanx for sharing!  thumbsup.gif
There Is a really good doco called "Real Vampyres" twas intense, I enjoyed it.
   *bites*
xcrimsonx

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

#8    Merticus

Merticus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

Not a problem.  It will be released in about two weeks **EDIT**.  If you want to read a serious academic work on vampirism and the vampire subculture then this is something you'll want to pick up and add to your library.  He was also mentioned in an interview with the Washington Post and will be delivering another paper at the Association for the Sociology of Religion in August of this year.

Vampires Today: The Truth about Modern Vampirism (Hardcover)
Joseph Laycock

**Advertising: Do not advertise or promote other web sites, books, products, media releases or services without express permission from a member of staff. The site is not a free advertising platform, registering an account solely for the purpose of posting promotional material will result in the suspension of your account. If you maintain a personal or other non-commercial web site you may place a short link to it in your profile signature block.**

Edited by aquatus1, 15 May 2009 - 06:44 PM.

#9    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:13 PM

I have to ask. Why.

There is no such thing as a "vampire lifestyle". It's confused people pretending to be something they have no idea about. If they actually knew squat about vampires they wouldn't try mimicking them in the first place.

#10    puridalan

puridalan

Mystical as a Unicorn...

• 3,844 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

Merticus

This is 'de libre' so glad to see you've put some sense on this site tongue.gif

Dying Sep.

Sometimes use lancets lol but they really do not provide that great of amount unless you have a pump, various instruments are used. As for the psi problem  sometimes if you have really good energy naturally others psi or not want it/to be like it. Share it with those that deserve it, but not with those that do not...as someone once told me.

#11    Olara_Nightshade

Olara_Nightshade

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

• All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:29 PM

Ebonykrow on May 15 2009, 11:13 PM, said:

I have to ask. Why.

There is no such thing as a "vampire lifestyle". It's confused people pretending to be something they have no idea about. If they actually knew squat about vampires they wouldn't try mimicking them in the first place.

mad.gif Ebony..are you really that close-minded of a person?  It seems to me like you are the one who doesn't know squat.  Why even bother responding?

All that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream.

#12    Stormcrow

Stormcrow

Wizard

• 5,987 posts

• Late is the hour in which this conjurer chooses to appear.

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

Olara_Nightshade on May 17 2009, 08:29 AM, said:

mad.gif Ebony..are you really that close-minded of a person?  It seems to me like you are the one who doesn't know squat.  Why even bother responding?

Obviously.

Go do half a years (plus) research on the vampire and then come back to me.

Edited by Ebonykrow, 17 May 2009 - 12:37 PM.

#13    Queen in the North

Queen in the North

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,494 posts

• We're more Ceefax people.

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:50 PM

Olara_Nightshade on May 17 2009, 01:29 PM, said:

Would me pointing out that 'true' vampires are nothing like Twilight help?

Because I wouldn't say that Ebony is a close-minded person, neither would I dare say that she doesn't know what's she's talking about when it comes to vampires.

Posted Image

#14    theSOURCE

theSOURCE

Alien Abducter

• 4,450 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:52 PM

Meh... Just another coming-out-of-the-coffin book.

#15    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,033 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:46 PM

Olara_Nightshade on May 17 2009, 06:29 AM, said:

She responds because she has knowledge on the subject.

There are NO vampires.  There are people who run around and role play.

HN

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users