Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Vampires Today: Truth About Modern Vampirism

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31    Moon Minion

Moon Minion

OFFICIALLY A LUNATIC!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

• “I don't know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum”

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:59 AM

theSOURCE on May 18 2009, 03:26 PM, said:

I wonder how long it will be before the wannabe zombie fad kicks in?

BRRRRAAAAAAINNNNSSSSS!!!!!!

Oh wait, they'll be sexy, well dressed, articulate zombies. My mistake. rolleyes.gif

tongue.gif

laugh.gif Ha Ha, gosh, it's a funny world we live in. "articulate zombies" now that I'd like to see, especially if their jaw drops off...

Posted Image

#32    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

I hate these vampire threads, and the inevitable "can you prove 100% that there are NO vampires?"
It's like the battle cry of the desperate.

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#33    Moon Minion

Moon Minion

OFFICIALLY A LUNATIC!

• 1,612 posts

• “I don't know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum”

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:10 PM

eqgumby on May 21 2009, 03:50 PM, said:

I hate these vampire threads, and the inevitable "can you prove 100% that there are NO vampires?"

You mean the ones who try to find loopholes in reality? rofl.gif

Posted Image

#34    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,187 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

eqgumby on May 21 2009, 09:50 AM, said:

No, I think the battle cry is "Anything is possible!!  You don't know what I've seen!"

tongue.gif

I hate those two.

HN

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#35    Moon Minion

Moon Minion

OFFICIALLY A LUNATIC!

• 1,612 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

HerNibs on May 21 2009, 05:18 PM, said:

No, I think the battle cry is "Anything is possible!!  You don't know what I've seen!"

tongue.gif

I hate those two.

HN

You forgot the "I am a Vampire!!!" ones tongue.gif

Posted Image

#36    Merticus

Merticus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 12:51 AM

Now that this book is available you may be interested in reading some selections in case you have the wrong idea about what it's really about.  Thanks to those around here who do manage to keep an open mind and appreciate studying various phenomena before automatically passing judgment or dismissing outright without first attempting to examine past the surface...

Vampires Today: The Truth About Modern Vampirism
Joseph Laycock

Chapter 1: What Is a Vampire? or, The Varieties of Vampiric Experience
Chapter 2: Why Vampires?
Chapter 3: The Vampire Milieu
Chapter 4: Initiatory Vampire Groups: Vampirism as Apotheosis
Chapter 5: The Vampire Community
Chapter 6: Vampirism and Religion, a Dialogue
Chapter 7: Out of the Shadows
Chapter 8: Vampires and the Modern
Bibliography & Index

Sample Of Material From The Index:

Atlanta Vampire Alliance, Black Veil, Catherine Ramsland, Christopher Partridge, Clan Hidden Shadows, Corvis Nocturnum, Daemonox, Damien Deville, Dawn Perlmutter, D'Drennan, Don Henrie, Eclecta, Elizabeth Miller, Emile Durkheim, Father Sebastiaan, Father Vincent, Goddess Rosemary, House Dark Haven, House Eclipse, House Kheperu, House of the Dreaming, House Pantheon, House Quinotaur, House Sahjaza, Ian Hacking, J. Gordon Melton, Jeff Guinn, Kiera, Konstantinos, Lady CG, Lady Dark Rose, Lord Alistair, Lupa, Madame X, Maloryn, Martin Riccardo, Merticus, Michael Foucault, Michelle Belanger, Ordo Sekhemu, Ordo Strigoi Vii, Order of the Vampyre, Rosemary Ellen Guiley, Sanguinarius, Sarah Dorrance, Shadowlore, Sky, SoulSplat, SphynxCatVP, Stephen O'Mallie, Stephen Held, Suscitatio Enterprises, Temple of the Vampire, Twilight, Vampire Church, Vampirism & Energy Work Research Study, Vicutus, Vlad, Voices of the Vampire Community, Vyrdolak, Zero, Zilchy

Quote Selections From The Preface:

"Despite increased media attention, the vampire community remains poorly understood. Television interviews, often accompanied by ominous music, work to portray self-identified vampires as completely other. The reality is that vampires are all around us and that their subculture is a product of our mainstream culture. If we can look past the sensationalism, vampires pose compelling questions about how we define ourselves and the world around us in the twenty-first century."

"Some drink blood to sustain their health and some do not. Some describe a sensitivity to sunlight while others enjoy the beach. Many compare vampirism to a medical condition with tangible health needs while others dissent. For some, vampirism is a religion or a spiritual path while others ascribe no religious meaning to it."

"Vampires are not just lurking in goth clubs in New York City; they are all around us. I have met vampires in the fields of social work, medicine, information technology, and law enforcement. Vampires cannot be studied as simply other than and isolated from society at large.... One of my goals in writing this book is to stimulate and inform a discussion on how groups like vampires may be understood by outsiders and by scholarship. Despite the public's fascination with vampires, the same two questions are repeated over and over: Are these people crazy and are they dangerous? The answer to both these questions, for all intents and purposes, is a simple "no". If we set these questions aside, the real vampire community challenges us with serious questions about identity, religion, and the search for meaning."

Vampirism & Energy Work Research Study (VEWRS & AVEWRS Surveys):  http://www.suscitatio.com
Atlanta Vampire Alliance:  http://www.atlantavampirealliance.com
Merticus - Personal Website  http://www.merticus.com

#37    Sho_Sho

Sho_Sho

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

Im going to wright my own vampire book. Its about a "REAL" Vampire story based off all the wierdos who think theyre really vampires.

It’s about some nerdy guy in California who dresses like a vampire and only sleeps during the day, and has his hair slicked back, and has all theses cracked out teenage runaways hanging on his every word because he is pretending to be the vampire leader.

In his little world he is a God, but outside of his little vampire fantasy he is just the typical  boring mediocre looser who can’t fit in into society, so he chooses to make his “own-reality”

That pretty much sums up all people who get caught up in this make believe world!

Edited by Sho_Sho, 19 June 2009 - 05:35 PM.

I wish I could be as cool as you...and say the things you do

#38    Merticus

Merticus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

There's a new interview out involving this book if anyone is interested:

Joseph Laycock: Vampires Today
Interview By John W. Morehead of TheoFantastique
August 25th, 2009

http://www.theofanta...vampires-today/

Vampirism & Energy Work Research Study (VEWRS & AVEWRS Surveys):  http://www.suscitatio.com
Atlanta Vampire Alliance:  http://www.atlantavampirealliance.com
Merticus - Personal Website  http://www.merticus.com

#39    Hamlyn

Hamlyn

Not Dead Yet

• 1,164 posts

• Why you eyeing my lemon drink?

Posted 26 August 2009 - 11:43 PM

Oh, Lordy. I did not know Michelle Belanger was a "Real Vampire." Posted Image

Science exists to investigate the unexplained, not to explain away the uninvestigated.

Ouija transcripts, Tarot sessions, psychic readings, and other messing around. Read it all here.

#40    sinewave

sinewave

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,102 posts

• Belief proves nothing. Show me the science.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:01 PM

Those who do it for fun and are reasonably well adjusted ( i.e. they know they are not really vampires) are probably OK.  It's those who do it for a sense of empowerment and truly believe they are vampires who should seek professional help.  

It is hard to be a kid.  Most of us don't make it through the experience without a scar or two. It sucks to see so many in pain.

#41    Gravitorbox

Gravitorbox

Psychic Spy

• 1,558 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

Anyone else see that History Channel special on Vampirism with the psychic vampire hilarity at the end?

I cracked up.

But I also nearly passed out at the Bathory part. I got queasy.

"Everything we did was criticized. For about thirty years we lived with the world against us, accusing us of things we didn't do!"

- Ian Douglas Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users