Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TAPS and the Whaley House in San Diego

naslrogues

I was recently watching a re-run of the TAPS episode from San Diego and thought of the Whaley House. Since it is supposed to be the "most haunted" house in America, it would have been a great investigation for TAPS. Sadly it was not investigated. To me the Whaley House seems to rival the Queen Mary and the Winchester Mystery House. All this talk about being so incredibly haunted yet when a team like TAPS goes in, very little happens in the paranormal realm. Could this be why TAPS has not been invited to investigate the Whaley House? Did they see the "Queen Mary" episode. I know that paranormal activity does not happen on cue but since more serious minded paranormal investigative groups like TAPS have shown up, many of these "most haunted house, hotel, ship, barn, bathroom, etc. in America may be playing down their notariety to keep their reputation in tact. Just a few thoughts I wanted to share.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Stormcrow

• naslrogues

• Abecrombie

• Golden Hawk

LAWL double post.

Edited by Ebonykrow

To be perfectly honest, I don't think a lot of the Whaley house--especially not about it being the "most haunted" area in America.

It's also possible that TAPS wasn't invited to investigate the Whaley house... You can't just barge in some place these days and be all, "omg can i investigate your locationssss?"

I think there is too many possibilities for this question to be answered. Everyone can only assume why TAPS have not investigated Whaley House. There are literally hundreds of houses/locations that are said to be the 'most haunted' in America, so I don't really think there is any real conspiracy or heavy reason why TAPS have not been there...yet, that we know of!

Maybe TAPS don't want to go there.

Maybe they haven't been asked.

Maybe they have been there, but the show hasn't aired yet.

Maybe they have been there, but it was so uneventful they aren't showing the episode.

Maybe they have been asked, but just haven't had the time to go yet.

It could be anybodies guess!

Maybe TAPS don't want to go there.

Maybe they haven't been asked.

Maybe they have been there, but the show hasn't aired yet.

Maybe they have been there, but it was so uneventful they aren't showing the episode.

Maybe they have been asked, but just haven't had the time to go yet.

It could be anybodies guess!

Good points. :tu: I definitely didn't think of that many possibilities. xD

Good points. :tu: I definitely didn't think of that many possibilities. xD

Haha, I think any of those are a lot more liekly than a conspiracy against TAPS :lol:

Haha, I think any of those are a lot more liekly than a conspiracy against TAPS :lol:

Who would want that? D:

UMMM, I never said anything about a conspiracy against TAPS. My thought was that it would be in the Whaley House's best interest to stay away from debunking type investigations. Why does everything always have to be a conspiracy?

UMMM, I never said anything about a conspiracy against TAPS. My thought was that it would be in the Whaley House's best interest to stay away from debunking type investigations. Why does everything always have to be a conspiracy?

I think it was a joke. x)

But why should the Whaley house stay away from those that should try to debunk them?

I think it was a joke. x)

But why should the Whaley house stay away from those that should try to debunk them?

Tourists = $$$$$$$$$$$$

I was recently watching a re-run of the TAPS episode from San Diego and thought of the Whaley House. Since it is supposed to be the "most haunted" house in America, it would have been a great investigation for TAPS. Sadly it was not investigated. To me the Whaley House seems to rival the Queen Mary and the Winchester Mystery House. All this talk about being so incredibly haunted yet when a team like TAPS goes in, very little happens in the paranormal realm. Could this be why TAPS has not been invited to investigate the Whaley House? Did they see the "Queen Mary" episode. I know that paranormal activity does not happen on cue but since more serious minded paranormal investigative groups like TAPS have shown up, many of these "most haunted house, hotel, ship, barn, bathroom, etc. in America may be playing down their notoriety to keep their reputation in tact. Just a few thoughts I wanted to share.
You have a good point, The investigation might not provide something on that night and if aired as nothing found on that night, the income could be adversely affected, actually a sound business decision on the Whaley House's part, if that is indeed the choice they made. Good Post... :tu:

To be perfectly honest, I don't think a lot of the Whaley house--especially not about it being the "most haunted" area in America.

It's also possible that TAPS wasn't invited to investigate the Whaley house... You can't just barge in some place these days and be all, "omg can i investigate your locationssss?"

Maybe TAPS hasn't been invited to the Whaley House because TAPS reputation is going in the crapper? C'mon....a couple Roto-Rooter dudes investigating hauntings? I'm still wondering how they got a reputation and TV show. Guess the TV networks are getting desperate for entertainment. TAPS are entertaining though.....kinda like the Blair Witch Project....smiles.

I really don't know anything about the Whaley house....but an interesting TV show could be about how the least qualified paranormal investigators investigate the least haunted house. Just a thought. Sadly, people would watch the show.

Lady Chardonnay

Tourists = $$$$$$$$$$$$

Just the fact it's on TV will still bring people in, even if they find it to not be haunted. Since TAPS investigated Waverly (they found nothing on the live investigation, and one tiny thermal hit their first go around), people have come from all over just to see it and be apart of it--because TAPS was there. No one really cares if it's haunted, when you get down to it, you want to be where the action is, you want to see what all of the fuss is about. And to be perfectly honest, if I lived in the area and TAPS investigated the Whaley house, I'd go regardless. I live three hours away from Waverly, but I went anyway. That was about three-four? years ago (can't remember at all, but it was like just a month or so after TAPS aired their first Waverly investigation), when I first went. There was hardly twenty people there, I go again for an eight hour tour (where they have restrictions of no more than ten people) and they were forced to up numbers to around thirty for an eight hour. The two hour tours are booked continuously, you're lucky to get in at all. JUST because it was on TV, not because they found anything (in comparison to their findings at other locations--St. Augustine for example--they pretty much found nothing at Waverly).

And that's my 2c.

Edit: I've also heard about a restaurant that TAPS investigated, but didn't find anything. The owners contacted them a few months later saying business was booming, all because TAPS had been involved some how. I think, regardless of what TAPS would find at the Whaley house, seriously, people would still come from all corners of the globe to see.

Edited by Ebonykrow

Maybe TAPS hasn't been invited to the Whaley House because TAPS reputation is going in the crapper? C'mon....a couple Roto-Rooter dudes investigating hauntings? I'm still wondering how they got a reputation and TV show. Guess the TV networks are getting desperate for entertainment.

SciFi, probably desperate. But they had a very good reputation in the field LONG before SciFi came around, and were in fact pretty popular and highly respected. They've been investigating since 1990-91--that's one hell of a long time to be ghost hunting, if you ask me.

I know this has nothing to do with taps but,... I'm a Whaley, and supposingly the Whaley house is part of my family heritage.

Its not very often you even hear that last name huh? Just wanted to share. teehee.

The Whaley House has been investigated on many occasions.

Known Paranormal Investigator Richard Senate did one investigation several years ago and part of that look into being the "most haunted in America" bit sort of went sour. Depending on who you talk to the Whaley House has from a handful to more than 20 ghosts. The problem is proving just how many are there really? :huh:

My research, using other investigators notes, films, etc, shows that there are about 8-12 ghosts and that is a best guess. Yankee Jim who was hung for stealing a rowboat, has been considered the primary spook, however not every investigator has really been able to say Yankee Jim is still there. To top it off, in recent years, the place for the scafold where he was hung keeps changing from report to report; primary site? Either [1]under the main arch between the living room/parlor and the dining room or [2]in the Court Room of Judge Whaley, which occupies part of the original house.

There are reported to be at least 4-5 of the Whaley family members, including Judge and Mrs. Whaley, at least one child friend of the Whaley children and perhaps 4-5 Spanish and or Indian ghosts from the early Spanish occupation of San Diego. There is, as well, one former resident who lived in the house after the Whaley had left. This unknown man has appeared in some modern reports on an irregular basis within the last 30 years, to date I have yet to find any definate information about this particular ghost.

The Whaley House the most haunted house in the United States? Not by a long shot! ;)

I will need to check my research notes for the place and name, but the most haunted house area in the United States was used as a hospital and prison during the Civil War. The site has been researched on numerous occasions and the offical count of ghosts known to occupy the house and the immediate grounds is still standing at 1100+! :o:w00t:

Edited by Owl_Lady

I know this has nothing to do with taps but,... I'm a Whaley, and supposingly the Whaley house is part of my family heritage.

Its not very often you even hear that last name huh? Just wanted to share. teehee.

I'd be online into RootsWeb so fast they'd not see me here at UM for a couple of weeks ................... if not longer! ;):tu::yes:

Maybe TAPS hasn't been invited to the Whaley House because TAPS reputation is going in the crapper? C'mon....a couple Roto-Rooter dudes investigating hauntings? I'm still wondering how they got a reputation and TV show. Guess the TV networks are getting desperate for entertainment. TAPS are entertaining though.....kinda like the Blair Witch Project....smiles.

I really don't know anything about the Whaley house....but an interesting TV show could be about how the least qualified paranormal investigators investigate the least haunted house. Just a thought. Sadly, people would watch the show.

Lady Chardonnay

So... What is your point?? That people can't be trained or qualified in more than one field? Just because they are plumbers does NOT mean that they cannot possibly be qualified to do any other type of work, including paranormal investigating!!

And your reason of 'Maybe TAPS hasn't been invited to the Whaley House because TAPS reputation is going in the crapper?' - Well their reputation has only started to be questioned since their live halloween show almost 3 months ago... so what about the other 3-4 years that they successfully had the show.....??? So your reasoning doesn't ad up. IMO, you just sound like a TAPS hater having a rant!!

And your reason of 'Maybe TAPS hasn't been invited to the Whaley House because TAPS reputation is going in the crapper?' - Well their reputation has only started to be questioned since their live halloween show almost 3 months ago... so what about the other 3-4 years that they successfully had the show.....??? So your reasoning doesn't ad up. IMO, you just sound like a TAPS hater having a rant!!

Not to mention the fourteen-fifteen years before the show.

And I agree. I think if you're going to rag TAPS, you need a legitimate reason and should at least TRY to know what you're talking about.

I am wondering, how many people want to nominate a place in their home state. I am also wondering if that those who nominate such places could be in the high numbers. I have a feeling that TAPS care getting calls and such left and right, for requests to investigate every place reported to be haunted. I myself would like them to Walson Hospital on Fort Dix. They did do a military base, and they did investigate Mount Holly prison, which is a town over, so I wonder. I'm sure, I'm also not the only one who probably would think the same thing I do about Walson Hospital.

Makes me wonder, how TAPS sort out who to investigate, and who they can't for varying reasons.

• 2 weeks later...

well take this into consideration, TAPS is known for going into an area to find any means possible to disprove a "haunting"..now the reason certain places are "the most haunted" is because along time ago someone heard something or saw something vague and jump to conclusion. they tell some1 then they tell som1 else and pretty soon its haunted. when TAPS is able to investigate, they try to debunk everything they hear or see. so this place is just trying to protect there "haunting"

First off not every buiding is interested nor every human being for that matter. I personaly dig the show TAPS, but some may not care to call them to investigate a haunting. The Whaley House is a historical landmark and has allot of interesting information from its original courthouse/hanging area/ private residence etc.

Just because its known to be haunted doesnt mean they are into the TAPS crew. And or other reasons besides the fact that it is haunted or not. Not all persons whom in charge of a historical building feel they need to call TAPS to prove anything to anybody. Just an opnion. It makes sense to me. And who is to say in the future they dont get a call or make a call . Gabessh ?

I think you are right...... :lol:

Plus, considering the controversy over their recent fiasco where they were caught faking things (Before you flame - I am undecided whether that discounts all of their activities or not)... I doubt that the Whaley House would fear them debunking it...

You have a good point, The investigation might not provide something on that night and if aired as nothing found on that night, the income could be adversely affected, actually a sound business decision on the Whaley House's part, if that is indeed the choice they made. Good Post... :tu:

A haunting on TAPs where NOTHING is found???!!! That would be a FIRST!!!