Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The members are sceptics

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:27 PM

Wouldn't go as far as say I'm a total sceptic.  I do believe in things yes, but not goin to like be all "OMGS?? REALLY??" about it all.

And some stuff that gets posted is so bizzar, that you can't help but poke alittle fun at it.  That and given there's so much out there with different backgrounds...  Some people would call some odd thing an "Act of God" while other's who believe differntly will call it by what they well.. believe in.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#17    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:39 PM

Personally, I try to look for the bits in the story that could verify it.  Either information in the story such as people or known happenings.  

As my area of expertise is generally everything unexplained or paranormal, I find it helps in that it gives a large background of cases in which to gather evidence either for or against.

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#18    Lady Sabrina

Lady Sabrina

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 08 April 2004 - 07:41 PM

While I think it's healthy to be a bit of a sceptic at times, I'm not out to prove anything or disprove anyone else. I think we have minds of our own & should use our own judegement about what we believe or not.

I have not posted tons on the forum about my experiences, but what I have posted has been to share my experiences with those who are interested, not to win someone over to believe me, or defend myself.  original.gif  

Lady Sabrina.

Webmaster: Deb's Web Haven

Forum Mod: The Supernatural World Forums

Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy.
Anne Frank

#19    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 08 April 2004 - 11:34 PM

I would definately say i'm a skeptic - but i also have a very open mind. I used to believe in a whole load of stuff but when proof appeared which disproved what i wanted to believe, it was my open mind that made me a skeptic.

That said you say the word skeptic as if it's a dirty word, something that is wrong - are you being skeptical about skeptics?

never take me too seriously

#20    fearfulone

fearfulone

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

• Believe no one that believes you...Trust no one that trusts you...and for your own sake...don't listen to a word i say

Posted 09 April 2004 - 12:19 AM

I am an open minded sketpic...lol...i believe in certain things (ie existance of ufo's and aliens) but i don't believe in others (ie aliens contacting us or abducting us).  I think you will find most people on this forum want the person making a claim to prove BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT that their claim is true...its easy to believe in something, but it's hard to know it as a fact.   cool.gif  

Trust no one that trusts you!

"you will need at least two more of the male variety to even pose a threat to us women... remember ... we can think with both the right and left sides of our brain!"
-nxt2hvn

CONSPIRACY I SAY!! CONSPIRACY!

"It's not the bad things that happen to you your upset about, it's the good things that happen to other people that piss you off."
-Robert Udall in 'As Good As It Gets'

#21    PsychicPenguin

PsychicPenguin

Psychic Spy

• 1,428 posts

Posted 09 April 2004 - 01:44 AM

most people on this forum want the person making a claim to prove BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT

well.. if I can do that.. I'm not gona be here wink2.gif

#22    Scorpius

Scorpius

Universal Researcher

• 1,820 posts

• Harness the energies around you and you'll be able to do wondrous things.

Posted 09 April 2004 - 10:17 PM

I'm more of a neutral skeptic.  I usually don't say anything if I believe somethings is false or highly unbelievable.  Anything is possible, even the most unbelievable.

If I do believe something isn't real.  I'll state it while backing it up with some "evidence".  Otherwise, I dont' say anything at all.  It irritates me when people give laconic answers to questions that require more words than a yes or a no.  

When dealing with the paranormal, you've got to keep an open-mind.

There are skeptics who have turned into believers in this subject of the Paranormal.

There are some people here who try to prove it, and yet are discouraged by the enormous negativity drawn to it.  Proving such things may be an long-term process, even when then paranormal is involved.  They don't call it a mystery for no reason.

Some of the skeptical members who have replied to such Paranormal topics are really dispicable.  What if the the things people believe in is true?  That's why it's better to say nothing even if you really don't believe it.  Posting a reply with the words "I don't believe" is really a pointless reply.  Do we really care?  I obvioulsy detest laconic statements...so either use evidence to back up why you don't believe in such things or don't say anything at all.

Well i'm done with my rant.  This is stressing me out...time to head to the Humour Section  grin2.gif  

Posted Image
Avatar and Signature designed and animated by me.  
Do not speak for those who can speak, but speak for those who cannot.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience."  - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin (1881-1955)

#23    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:46 PM

Well, I would say that the areas on the forum I inhabit most are 'Ghosts', 'Aliens' & 'Sightings', with the odd dalliance into other subjects.

I think it is better to question everything, rather than to accept it blindly. If someone believes something, great, but don't expect me to believe it without question - I did not have your experience.

As for myself, I've witnessed some strange things and although my mind is open to the possibilities life has, whatever it is I'm considering has to get through the logical and reasonable questions of my mental doormen before I'll consider it plausible.

I trained as a medium a few years ago and would take nothing on pure faith - everything I experienced was scrutinized and probed and subjected to rational possibilities in my head, but even so I believe in some things that others would scoff at. All I can say is, if you experience it, you believe it.

wink2.gif

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#24    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 10 April 2004 - 08:57 PM

I trained as a medium a few years ago

Surely you should have gone for expert training  grin2.gif

Oh, i'll get my coat... grin2.gif  

never take me too seriously

#25    Nordic_Dragon

Nordic_Dragon

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 April 2004 - 09:33 PM

o....k

we're not all sceptics, yes il agree some do try disprove everything they come across but its not all of us...

Turn off the light,
take a deep breath
and relax
start to move slowly,
very slowly  
Let the rhythm be your
guiding light...

Posted Image

#26    thepsychoticseaotter

thepsychoticseaotter

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

• Ice, Snow, Blood and Iron!!!

Posted 11 April 2004 - 04:48 PM

QUOTE (JACK NEON @ Apr 8 2004, 06:48 AM)
I have read and found a trend to try and disprove everything on this site as if noone has an open mind. In fact in my opinion you are all sceptics. Tell me if I have misjudged this and tell me what you really mean if you can.

Read my sug about open minds there buddy..... wink2.gif  

Ravens KeepA forum for Classic D&D, AD&D and the upcoming Castles and Crusades.

Soon it's over, all the dwarfs defeated
The silence of the caverns stand still
Orcs took the command of the caves and depths
The darklord has reached his will ---Battlelore

Fill my mug, I just want to forget
All the troubles and fighting
And the ghosts in my head --Battlelore

#27    MoonBaby

MoonBaby

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 309 posts

• Ignorance I can handle, stupidity I can't.

Posted 11 April 2004 - 05:10 PM

sometimes, when you are skeptical about something, you find proof of something that you never even imagined. it's good to go through life skeptical because if you think you have it all figured out, your wrong. i apoligize if someone already said  forum.

"This concept of 'wub' confuses and infuriates us!"
~Futurama <---- the aliens

#28    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 06:29 PM

PS, I thought you were going to say 'you should have trained as a large'...   w00t.gif

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#29    The Proposer

The Proposer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 April 2004 - 07:39 PM

what anoys me is people who pretend to be open minded and scientific in their aproach,but already seem to have defined their boundaries between real science and pseudo science,and they make this their reference point.this standpoint is detremental to further understanding ,I think if people could disregard their preconceived ideas and just look at evidence,(phtographic,eyewitness,scientific and conclusions reached by rational argument)im sure we could advance rapidly.

#30    trublvr

trublvr

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

• An open mind is like an open mouth: Every now and then it must bite down on something solid.

Posted 12 April 2004 - 03:38 AM

Hey, everybody,

As some have already remarked, there's skepticism and belief are in all of us (especially those of us who've contributed postings here!).  And that's cool.  Skepticism and belief work well together.  In fact, we are only skeptical in light of our beliefs.  So as soon as we express skepticism towards something, we are inadvertently testifying to our beliefs in something else.  These can be general beliefs about the way the world works physically or metaphysically, or these can be solidified convictions, doctrines, or dogmas (I'm not using "dogma" in the negative sense here.).  

There are trends to the dialogues and mini-dialogues we've been having, though.  We are not into "TRUTH" as much as we are into "truths".  Following the advice of Chris Rock's Rufus from Dogma we are not so much into beliefs and convictions as we are into ideas (remember how Rufus advised the Last Scion at the movie's end?).  Science and proof are mentioned casually as great criteria for discerning TRUTH/truths, but at the same time we are quick to attest to our unequivocal beliefs in things that we can't prove scientifically.  Honestly, I think we sometimes demand scientific proof for things we don't adhere to, while never submitting our own beliefs to the same scrutiny.  I know I've done this to folks in my life before!  Then they put my beliefs under the same microscope, and I have to live in the petrie dish of my own making!  

Truth that arrives entirely on our terms is usually truth of our own making.  And then we are merely worshipping at the altar of ourselves.  We need other voices not merely to borrow from, but to listen to, and to form us.  Grace & peace to all ya'll.  Love listening to you and learning from you!  --trublvr

If truth is not a matter of majority vote, neither is it a matter of minority dissent.        

--Douglas Groothius

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users