Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Satan= Bunch o' B.S?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31    man_in_mudboots

man_in_mudboots

title?

• 2,425 posts

• whither goest thou, young rogue?

Posted 20 April 2004 - 07:26 PM

sorry about two consecutive posts, but i couldnt pass this up.
QUOTE (PsychicPenguin)
It is true, that evil does NOT come from Satan, he is not responsible for all evils. We commit our own sin, with or without Satan involvement.

i agree. Satans job is simply to tempt.

To sum it up, the bible mentioned that Satan exists (if you believe in the bible anyway), but he is not the enemy of God.

in agreeance again. everything does, after all, end up serving as God's means, even Satan (and his evil), who is the creature through whom the test in my above post enters the world.

The book of Job portrays how Satan consulted God before his action.
i always thought Job was sort of fishy, but anyhow it just *proves* the above concept.  

So if you meet him, just say hello and tell him that you are not interested in temptation.
laugh.gif

Edited by man_in_mudboots, 20 April 2004 - 07:31 PM.

#32    trublvr

trublvr

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 214 posts

• An open mind is like an open mouth: Every now and then it must bite down on something solid.

Posted 21 April 2004 - 07:57 PM

Man in Mudboots,

I fail to see how the Job story "proves" the theory that God and satan are cool with one another.  As stated in a previous conversation with Psychic Penguin, the issues concerning satan in Job aren't the most clear-cut in the world.  But it's quite a leap to say that what the two opening chapters of Job describe is some sort of relationship between God and satan.  Also, if you want another Old Testament instance where satan is standing before God and speaking evil against another of God's servants, you can check out Zechariah chapter 3.  God addresses satan most explicitly and reads him the riot act.  

Also, satan means "adversary" in Hebrew, and this is how Hebrew theologians understood him.  In fact, early Christians got their views on the devil/satan from their Hebrew predecessors.  True, Job's initial chapters haven't been the easiest piece of Old Testament literature to interpret, even for Jewish scholars.  However, many do believe satan to be an evil being whom God opposes and who opposes God.  

If truth is not a matter of majority vote, neither is it a matter of minority dissent.        

--Douglas Groothius

#33    man_in_mudboots

man_in_mudboots

title?

• 2,425 posts

• whither goest thou, young rogue?

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (trublvr @ Apr 21 2004, 08:57 PM)
I fail to see how the Job story "proves" the theory that God and satan are cool with one another.  As stated in a previous conversation with Psychic Penguin, the issues concerning satan in Job aren't the most clear-cut in the world.

i dont mean prove, really, Mr. trublvr, thats just the only word i could think of. anyway, i meant that """"" for a christian"""""", the stories in Job are smooth with the idea that all things end up serving as God's means, even Satan and his evil. thats all. happy.gif do notice that i put the owrd proves in a set of astrisks. thumbsup.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users