Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Personality disorders?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1    The Orpheus

The Orpheus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

• Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

According to the American Psychiatric Association, a personality disorder is "an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the culture of the individual who exhibits it".

In laymen's terms: if your personality paradoxes human society, you have a personality disorder.

Apparently, I have a personality disorder. Haven't been diagnosed on what exactly, but my shrink claims that I do and need to get a full psychiatric evaluation.

I'm not crazy or anything. I just don't follow rules and laws, not because I am an impulsive, rebellious teenager (which I find worse), but because I find them to be a concept invented by man and that the only way it is still enforced is due to decades and decades of practice that has brainwashed us into following them.

That apparently is the main trigger to my having a personality disorder. Just because I don't fall into the standards set by society.

But to go further on:

Most of the time, I have odd explanations for life and the things I do, but so has philosophers in the past. Not to say I am a philosopher, but I am a thinker. It's what we do.

I find things to be "magical" and tend to interpret things in intangible "spiritual" ways.

I used to think that I was psychic for a number of reasons, still do.

I'm narcissistic. I think I'm made for this great purpose, and find myself to be lowering down others to make myself appear better than they are. That they are just "sheep", and I'm something greater.

I tend to think that I am an Empath and can read people, not in the way most people would do so, but through my third eye chakra.

I looked up some personality disorders and apparently I fall into Schizotypal and Narcissistic personality disorders.

But really, these "magical" interpretations actually tend to be be someone true and help explain life in a different sort of way. Also, none of the things I do really hurt people. I think I am better than a lot of people, but I also know that I am not and that it's just part of my personality.

So, what do you think? Are personality disorders real?

Edited by The Orpheus, 08 February 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#2    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 08 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

The Orpheus on Feb 8 2009, 03:58 PM, said:

According to the American Psychiatric Association, a personality disorder is "an enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the culture of the individual who exhibits it".

In laymen's terms: if your personality paradoxes human society, you have a personality disorder.

Apparently, I have a personality disorder. Haven't been diagnosed on what exactly, but my shrink claims that I do and need to get a full psychiatric evaluation.

I'm not crazy or anything. I just don't follow rules and laws, not because I am an impulsive, rebellious teenager (which I find worse), but because I find them to be a concept invented by man and that the only way it is still enforced is due to decades and decades of practice that has brainwashed us into following them.

That apparently is the main trigger to my having a personality disorder. Just because I don't fall into the standards set by society.

But to go further on:

Most of the time, I have odd explanations for life and the things I do, but so has philosophers in the past. Not to say I am a philosopher, but I am a thinker. It's what we do.

I find things to be "magical" and tend to interpret things in intangible "spiritual" ways.

I used to think that I was psychic for a number of reasons, still do.

I'm narcissistic. I think I'm made for this great purpose, and find myself to be lowering down others to make myself appear better than they are. That they are just "sheep", and I'm something greater.

I tend to think that I am an Empath and can read people, not in the way most people would do so, but through my third eye chakra.

I looked up some personality disorders and apparently I fall into Schizotypal and Narcissistic personality disorders.

But really, these "magical" interpretations actually tend to be be someone true and help explain life in a different sort of way. Also, none of the things I do really hurt people. I think I am better than a lot of people, but I also know that I am not and that it's just part of my personality.

Your age tells it all. When we are teenagers we are full of ourselves and think the rules don't apply to us. Teenagers also have tendency to believe in non existent psi powers, mythic creatures and etc. Why? Because real life can be boring so they want to believe in more. By the way, you are not something greater. You are just an average arrogant teenager.

Yes. Personality disorders do exist.I would take the advice of your shrink.

Edited by The Skeptic Eric Raven, 08 February 2009 - 10:05 PM.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#3    Bunny Munro

Bunny Munro

The Death of Bunny Munro

• 3,075 posts

• You will not like me now and you shall like me a good deal less as we do go on...

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:56 AM

I think they exist, but I don't think they are necessarily a problem and I dislike the term 'disorder' because of it's inherently negative connotations, I really doubt that in every individual this is going to cause problematic behavior, I think most individuals would be diagnosed with at least one of these disorders if they had a psychiatric evaluation.

Grant me this at least, man differs more from man than man from beast....

#4    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

Oh hell yes I believe in them. I rub shoulder with people who have various different types and have one or two myself.

A friend of mine has ADD pretty badly. Can't focus on much of anything for long, though he's trying for a computer science certificate, and tried to do karate for awhile. He just doesn't have the ability to focus.
Another friend suffers from bad depression, has medication that helps with it, and is a decent guy to be around as long as he's on it. Almost killed himself last time he thought he was "cured".
I know of several different ones, and several people who are affected by them. Despite what some people claim, that they are actually "enlightened" in some sense, it generally makes life much more difficult for them. Even doing the things they want to do becomes a challenge.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#5    D1CKY D1AMOND

D1CKY D1AMOND

Ambassador to Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,369 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:31 AM

If you have ever met someone who is bipolar or have another similar disorder you would believe them too.

Of course they are real regardless of what anyone believes.

I think most individuals would be diagnosed with at least one of these disorders if they had a psychiatric evaluation.

Just had one last month... None here

#6    Bunny Munro

Bunny Munro

The Death of Bunny Munro

• 3,075 posts

• You will not like me now and you shall like me a good deal less as we do go on...

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:58 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think disorders such as being bipolar or having ADD are considered personality disorders I'm not certain what they are but I believe they are a different classification entirely, I think what the OP is referring to are things in the class of 'schizoid' and 'paranoid' personality disorders.

Grant me this at least, man differs more from man than man from beast....

#7    raphnix

raphnix

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:16 AM

Personality Disorders are only known after a crazy psychologist found out that some are just not in their sane mind.
But in the modern days, some experts also found out that 99% of humans has their own personality disorder since they can't find any specification of what or who's really normal.

Sometimes astrology does makes sense.
It's time for us to believe...

Psychic Blog || Psychic Articles || Online Games Resources

#8    D1CKY D1AMOND

D1CKY D1AMOND

Ambassador to Earth

• 1,369 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 11:18 AM

Affliction on Feb 10 2009, 04:58 AM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think disorders such as being bipolar or having ADD are considered personality disorders I'm not certain what they are but I believe they are a different classification entirely, I think what the OP is referring to are things in the class of 'schizoid' and 'paranoid' personality disorders.

Bipolar is a personality disorder... It causes unpredictable behavior and emotional swings etc.

ADD your right though... It is classed as a learning disorder.

#9    carrot sprite

carrot sprite

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:19 PM

No.

#10    chaosdarksoulz

chaosdarksoulz

Psychic Spy

• 1,006 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:08 PM

The Skeptic Eric Raven on Feb 8 2009, 10:04 PM, said:

Your age tells it all. When we are teenagers we are full of ourselves and think the rules don't apply to us. Teenagers also have tendency to believe in non existent psi powers, mythic creatures and etc. Why? Because real life can be boring so they want to believe in more. By the way, you are not something greater. You are just an average arrogant teenager.

Yes. Personality disorders do exist.I would take the advice of your shrink.

0.o
man im glad i didnt live ur childhood

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
υ сαηт мє

#11    carrot sprite

carrot sprite

Alien Embryo

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:23 PM

All in the head.

#12    EyeWonder

EyeWonder

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:53 AM

Deceptikon on Feb 11 2009, 12:18 AM, said:

Bipolar is a personality disorder... It causes unpredictable behavior and emotional swings etc.

Actually, Bipolar is a mood disorder.

Anyway yes, of course I think personality disorders are real. People aren't just diagnosed with them because they act differently compared to the rest of society or are 'weird'. They can cause serious problems in everyday life, relationships, holding down jobs etc. They aren't usually diagnosed in teenagers though because some psychiatrists believe at that age, people's personalities are still developing. However I have known doctors that seem to give out diagnoses on a silver platter (metaphorically speaking).

Think of me tonite
For that which you savor
Did it give you something real,
or could you taste the pain of my death in its flavor?

~Wayne K. Tolson, from "Food Forethought"

#13    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,059 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 11 February 2009 - 02:13 AM

What about OCD?

HN

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#14    John from Lowell

John from Lowell

Psychic Spy

• 1,760 posts

• Self Love Unlocks the Magic Inside

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:33 AM

The Orpheus on Feb 8 2009, 04:58 PM, said:

I have always been like this. I also realized that I would be wise if I was not so obvious. Others live in fear and once they see you being this way, they will attack you.

Yes each person is a God being and they are here, in physical expression, with a purpose just as valuable as your own.

Yes but who has the disorder, you or those around you.

John

Edited by John A Spera, 11 February 2009 - 10:34 AM.

What We Are Never Changes !!

Who We Are Is Always Changing !!!

#15    The Orpheus

The Orpheus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

• Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

I've honestly considered my being a teenager as a reason, but when I look around, I can tell a "sane" teenager from a not so sane one.

Those who are sane have the normal, everyday, angsty struggles...drama, relatonships, parents, break-ups, etc.

Then there are those who I have deeper connections to who are always ****ed up...got beaten as a child, compulsively lies, has a phobia for being alone, doesn't realize that their wrong-doings are wrong-doings and always have self-righteous and spiritual conclusions to why they do it, think they are prophets but try to keep it a secret because when they say it out loud, their connection with "God" cuts down a bit, etc.

I don't think those are teenage issues. I think those are just results of adolescents with lots of trauma in their past that caused their head to become that way. At least that's how I define it in a psychoanalytical way.

I don't believe in mental disorders. If you're "bipolar" like I am, you probably just had some really bad things happen to you in your childhood.

And in the rare occasions that it just runs and your family and is a real chemical inbalance, then you probably won't exhibit the psychotic parts of it, just the ups and downs and the mood swing parts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users