Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Is My Avatar Obscene?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Debate-Bot

UM-Debate-Bot

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:34 AM

sarah snow vs Repoman

This is a formal 1 vs 1 debate, full details on how the debate system works can be found in our Debates FAQ. The debate will begin with an introductory opening post from each participant followed by 4 body posts and finally a conclusion.

The computer has randomly chosen sarah snow to post first.

sarah snow is arguing in favour of No

Repoman is arguing in favour of Yes

Once the debate is complete the thread will be open to member comments.

This is an automated posting or private message.

If you have a question about the debates please visit the Debates Board FAQ.

#2    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

• Things we don't want to happen, but have to accept. Things we don't want to know, we have to learn. People we can't live without, we have to let go.

Posted 15 February 2009 - 03:10 PM

Repoman on Feb 14 2009, 06:58 AM, said:

Maybe the best thing for everyone would be for me to tie some string around your avatar's feet so that the obscenely perky little moppet you have skating around will fall down and bump its chin on the ice. *ouch* then you'll have to find an avatar holding an ice-pack up to its chin.

The sentiment that sparked this debate is above. This was a particularly unpleasant thing to read where images of actually causing unnecessary physical pain to another would be viewed with wishful thinking and, indeed, a palpable level of glee. Whilst annoyed, to actually wish bodily harm to someone even in jest on a Forum, seems a little OTT.

Now according to the online Dictionary, obscenity is described as:

obĚscene (b-sn, b-)
adj.
1. Offensive to accepted standards of decency or modesty.
2. Inciting lustful feelings; lewd.
3. Repulsive; disgusting: "The way he writes about the disease that killed her is simply obscene" Michael Korda.
4. So large in amount as to be objectionable or outrageous:

1. A skating figure albeit perky and generally happy, could not be offensive towards standard of decency or modesty. Skating is a very successful and much-loved sport and passtime, so how it could be linked to a lack of modesty or decency must be explained/justified by Repoman.

2. Once again- if Repoman feels that my avatar actually incites feelings or lust and lewd behaviour, then why is it one from the recommended list on a not over 18s only Forum?

3. Maybe Repoman finds my 'perkiness' and happy skating figure disgusting, but he also claimed it would be best for everyone if I had an accident, and to date no other issues have been brought forward by anyone else about my skating image. As my avatar has already been the subject of a beautiful poem by another member about the positive way my skating up and down affects him and makes him feel happy also- they Repo does NOT speak for everyone on the finding it obscene and in fact it can hardly be disgusting as his choice of adjective stated.

4. Compared to many avatars on here, mine is actually very not -in-your-face and large, so  once again this is an outlandish claim which is totally 100% inaccurate.

So those are my opening comments and I'm off to sharpen my blades   laugh.gif

Edited by sarah snow, 15 February 2009 - 08:28 PM.

A stumbling block is merely a stepping stone you tripped over

#3    Repoman

Repoman

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:36 AM

Thank you Sarah for initiating this debate.

Because the first post is supposed to be introductory, I will not be arguing against anything Sarah has already said.

But I do need to point out one very important thing - the difference between stating that her avatar is "obscene" and using "obscene" in the adjectorial as a qualifier to the perkiness of her avatar is immense.

If all she wants to do in this debate is "prove" that her avatar is not obscene then I will concede now. I never said it was. And I apologize Sarah - bringing this obvious point up is insulting because it is so obvious. But I wanted to bring it up because that is the title of this debate and I just wanted to make sure nobody misunderstood this elementary school-level distinction.

Now, having said that, I am prepared to prove that Sarah's avatar is obscenely perky. The cuteness of it, the overly positive and care-free attitude it exhibits when taking as a snapshot and applied to the whole (as avatars are meant to represent) is unrealistically perky. The adjective "obscene" only means (as quoted by Sarah) " So large in amount as to be objectionable or outrageous". So I will be arguing that my use of that adjective was warranted.

Edited by Repoman, 16 February 2009 - 01:40 AM.

#4    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

• Things we don't want to happen, but have to accept. Things we don't want to know, we have to learn. People we can't live without, we have to let go.

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for your introductory post, Repoman. My apologies for not being as 'au fait' with the debating protocol as you- you are an old hand I see  original.gif

As you rightly point out, I have already made my opening arguments.

There has been a delay due to your comment below:

The difference between stating that her avatar is "obscene" and using "obscene" in the adjectorial as a qualifier to the perkiness of her avatar is immense.

Firstly, I had not come across the use of the phrase 'adjectorial' and am unable to find this in a reliable dictionary (online anyway, my trusted ones are in storage pending my house move, my apologies for not having adequate tools to hand) so I'll interpret that as coming from the stem of adjective and I think I get what you mean  wink2.gif

You have said that If all she wants to do in this debate is "prove" that her avatar is not obscene then I will concede now

Please prove that my avatar is, by definition 'objectional' or 'unreasonable' or indeed 'unrealistic' and back up your claim that it is so.  You described perfectly what my avatar is doing, but seem to try to disassociate it from your argument, now challenged.

Edited by sarah snow, 16 February 2009 - 03:05 AM.

#5    Repoman

Repoman

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

sarah snow on Feb 15 2009, 09:59 PM, said:

Please prove that my avatar is, by definition 'objectional' or 'unreasonable' or indeed 'unrealistic' and back up your claim that it is so.  You described perfectly what my avatar is doing, but seem to try to disassociate it from your argument, now challenged.
It isn't your avatar itself that is unreasonable, objectionable, unrealistic or any other adjective used in the definition of obscene. It is the perkiness of the avatar that I was describing.

I am collecting data at this time. So far, your avatar is by FAR the perkiest. When I have solid numbers, I will back up my statement.

Edited by Repoman, 16 February 2009 - 06:43 PM.

#6    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,932 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:02 PM

As neither participant has anything more to add i'll set this to open.

#7    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,763 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:34 PM

Whats the problem with Sarahs Avatar its purely logical I think
Thanks
B???

Posted Image

#8    MirrorImage

MirrorImage

She who carries a big sword

• 2,356 posts

• If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank. -Woody Allen

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:48 PM

Repoman on Feb 16 2009, 12:43 PM, said:

It isn't your avatar itself that is unreasonable, objectionable, unrealistic or any other adjective used in the definition of obscene. It is the perkiness of the avatar that I was describing.

I am collecting data at this time. So far, your avatar is by FAR the perkiest. When I have solid numbers, I will back up my statement.

SO perky is obscene? LOL remind me never to use my animated cheerleader gif as an avitar

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
Aristotle

Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth.
Stephen Hawking

If you cant laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at others. I laugh alot.

#9    CausticGnostic

CausticGnostic

Featherless Biped

• 2,125 posts

• "What is divinity if it can come
    Only in silent shadows and in dreams?"
    --Wallace Stevens

Posted 11 June 2009 - 07:16 AM

I think it's ironic that Repoman, whose avatar takes a laudable and humorous stand against censorship, is effectively arguing that Sarah Snow's adorable little jam-jar skater should be censored. . . .

Edited by CausticGnostic, 11 June 2009 - 07:17 AM.

#10    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:23 AM

CausticGnostic on Jun 11 2009, 08:16 AM, said:

I think it's ironic that Repoman, whose avatar takes a laudable and humorous stand against censorship, is effectively arguing that Sarah Snow's adorable little jam-jar skater should be censored. . . .

good point.

#11    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,140 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:27 AM

wow this is old but ya I had a good giggle. No wonder repo backed out lol

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#12    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,084 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:41 AM

This is one of the funniest threads I've seen.

My favourite colour? Lilac.

Edited by 747400, 23 June 2009 - 09:14 AM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#13    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,738 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:14 PM

When my kids were little they would argue over anything...literally anything, the sillier the better. So, are Repoman and Sarah siblings? Just wondering. wink2.gif

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#14    MirrorImage

MirrorImage

She who carries a big sword

• 2,356 posts

• If only God would give me some clear sign! Like making a large deposit in my name in a Swiss bank. -Woody Allen

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:30 PM

Lilly on Jun 23 2009, 07:14 AM, said:

When my kids were little they would argue over anything...literally anything, the sillier the better. So, are Repoman and Sarah siblings? Just wondering. wink2.gif

That reminded me of a long car trip with my nephews when they were about 6 and 8 years old. They'd been bickering for about 200 miles, suddenly you hear the younger one scream "Mommy! Make him stop picking my nose!"

Repo, dont pick Sarahs nose tongue.gif

The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.
Aristotle

Primitive life is very common and intelligent life is fairly rare, some would say it has yet to occur on earth.
Stephen Hawking

If you cant laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at others. I laugh alot.

#15    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,942 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 02:20 PM

Lilly on Jun 23 2009, 02:14 PM, said:

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  Nuh-uh  no.gif  laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users