Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Is My Avatar Obscene?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#16    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,122 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 23 June 2009 - 03:27 PM

Long ago I regularly posted on some board that is gone now.

I remember one of the regulars changed his avatar into a little girl with a ball in her hands.

Unbelievable as it sounds, he was being accused of being a pedophile and a child molester, just because of that avatar.

But... the avatar was a photo of a girl that showed up as some ghost child in the movie "The Shining", and.. it was supposed to be scary.

Soon it was clear the one attacking the guy using this avatar was just trying to change the topic of the discussion to an attack on the personality of the guy with the child avatar. The 'attacker' did not know how to 'win' the disussion, and so deviated to defaming his opponent.

Now I am not saying Repoman was out to defame Sarah Snow (to me it looked harmless, and nothing more than a bit of teasing), but it does happen often, here, and on other boards.

#17    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 40,122 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 04:04 PM

I like Sarah's skating avatar, it's cheerful to look at.

Posted Image

#18    a vampire wears my boxers

a vampire wears my boxers

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

• like empty prayers from a disentigrating throat

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:22 AM

while the avatar of the skating girl is absolutely not obscene, it is obscenely perky. ie. annoying, a hinderance, eyesore if you will.  this was an obvious joke. is someone outraged that repoman threatened the safety and well being of animation? light the torches, ready the rope. gonna be sum fun t'nite boys!!  with that said, i would like to put sarahs avatar in an air canon and launch it into an acid ocean. if the skating animation pixel-damsel happens to make it to shore, then i will shoot it with a gun that shoots goldfish with mime makeup painted on. then i would.....ohh never mind! really, i would like for my avatar to arm wrestle hers till they both fall asleep.

it looks like the upper hand, is on the other foot.

i guess they would say we could set this world ablaze

i have never tried to succeed at anything, therefore i have never failed.

#19    Hugh

Hugh

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,802 posts

• We are much more than we seem to be. :)

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

View PostCausticGnostic, on Jun 11 2009, 08:16 AM, said:

I think it's ironic that Repoman, whose avatar takes a laudable and humorous stand against censorship, is effectively arguing that Sarah Snow's adorable little jam-jar skater should be censored. . . .
That was very well said.

I think there's nothing wrong or bad at all with the cute little perky skater, it's uplifting actually lol. :)

#20    CausticGnostic

CausticGnostic

Featherless Biped

• 2,125 posts

• "What is divinity if it can come
    Only in silent shadows and in dreams?"
    --Wallace Stevens

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

View Postwitchfinder general, on Aug 1 2009, 11:22 AM, said:

while the avatar of the skating girl is absolutely not obscene, it is obscenely perky. ie. annoying, a hinderance, eyesore if you will.  this was an obvious joke. is someone outraged that repoman threatened the safety and well being of animation? light the torches, ready the rope. gonna be sum fun t'nite boys!!  with that said, i would like to put sarahs avatar in an air canon and launch it into an acid ocean. if the skating animation pixel-damsel happens to make it to shore, then i will shoot it with a gun that shoots goldfish with mime makeup painted on. then i would.....ohh never mind! really, i would like for my avatar to arm wrestle hers till they both fall asleep.

This from a person with an avatar that's--what is that, exactly? a freakin' muppet?!

I also notice that nobody is complaining about that one Member's avatar that had an animated person slamming his head against his keyboard until his head gorily explodes and his bloody eyeball is yo-yoing back and forth.  That's not obscene?  Or what about the Member with the disgusting and offensive user name, Babiestastegood?  I think some people here at UM have ther priorities all fouled up.

Edited by CausticGnostic, 01 August 2009 - 09:39 PM.

#21    CausticGnostic

CausticGnostic

Featherless Biped

• 2,125 posts

--Wallace Stevens

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

View PostHugh, on Aug 1 2009, 04:34 PM, said:

That was very well said.

I think there's nothing wrong or bad at all with the cute little perky skater, it's uplifting actually lol. :)

Thanks, Hugh.  See? Even I can occasionally post something that isn't snide, offensive, or mean-spirited!  It takes some extra effort, and it's not as much fun, but I can manage it if I put what my passes for my mind to it.  :)

Edited by CausticGnostic, 01 August 2009 - 09:45 PM.

#22    sarah snow

sarah snow

Jam Jar Skater

• 3,943 posts

• Things we don't want to happen, but have to accept. Things we don't want to know, we have to learn. People we can't live without, we have to let go.

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:24 AM

View Postwitchfinder general, on Aug 1 2009, 12:22 PM, said:

Bring on the arm-wrestling, Master Hopkins!  :P

If I get bored with ya, I can just zip your gob up, like Geoffrey used to do to Zippy on Rainbow  :w00t:

A stumbling block is merely a stepping stone you tripped over

#23    a vampire wears my boxers

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:54 AM

one rule: loser buys breakfast!

#24    CausticGnostic

CausticGnostic

Featherless Biped

• 2,125 posts

--Wallace Stevens

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:26 AM

My money's on the Jam-Jar Skater!  I think she can take you, Witchfinder! She's tougher than she looks, that little darlin'!  And if she breaks out a hockey stick, I'll give odds of 5 to 1!  :)

Edited by CausticGnostic, 03 August 2009 - 07:28 AM.

#25    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Non-Corporeal Being

• 7,761 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:37 AM

If she breaks out a hockey stick the best advice to her opponent would be "turn to vapor". Otherwise it's going to hurt like hell.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#26    CausticGnostic

CausticGnostic

Featherless Biped

• 2,125 posts

--Wallace Stevens

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

View Postcormac mac airt, on Aug 3 2009, 08:37 AM, said:

If she breaks out a hockey stick the best advice to her opponent would be "turn to vapor". Otherwise it's going to hurt like hell.

cormac

You got that right! And there's nothing more embarrassing than getting your butt kicked by a cute little skater wielding a big stick!

#27    Moon Minion

Moon Minion

OFFICIALLY A LUNATIC!

• 1,612 posts

• “I don't know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum”

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

View PostCausticGnostic, on Aug 2 2009, 07:35 AM, said:

This from a person with an avatar that's--what is that, exactly? a freakin' muppet?!

I also notice that nobody is complaining about that one Member's avatar that had an animated person slamming his head against his keyboard until his head gorily explodes and his bloody eyeball is yo-yoing back and forth.  That's not obscene?  Or what about the Member with the disgusting and offensive user name, Babiestastegood?  I think some people here at UM have ther priorities all fouled up.

Ha Ha Ha I love that avatar! I can empathize with it :lol:

And what the hell is wrong with Sarah Snow's avatar? It's cute, I like it! And it suits her username perfectly IMO.

Heck some people might even find my avatar more offensive! But oh well.......I love my wolf. ^_^

Edited by Moon Minion, 04 August 2009 - 09:09 AM.

Posted Image

#28    CausticGnostic

CausticGnostic

Featherless Biped

• 2,125 posts

--Wallace Stevens

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

View PostMoon Minion, on Aug 4 2009, 09:09 AM, said:

Ha Ha Ha I love that avatar! I can empathize with it :lol:

And what the hell is wrong with Sarah Snow's avatar? It's cute, I like it! And it suits her username perfectly IMO.

Heck some people might even find my avatar more offensive! But oh well.......I love my wolf. ^_^

So do I.  My last dog was half timber wolf and she was as sweet-natured an animal as one can imagine.  Smart, too!  Wolves are awesome creatures that have been too often--and falsely!--maligned.

#29    Moon Minion

Moon Minion

OFFICIALLY A LUNATIC!

• 1,612 posts

• “I don't know if there are men on the moon, but if there are they must be using the earth as their lunatic asylum”

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

View PostCausticGnostic, on Aug 4 2009, 07:28 PM, said:

So do I.  My last dog was half timber wolf and she was as sweet-natured an animal as one can imagine.  Smart, too!  Wolves are awesome creatures that have been too often--and falsely!--maligned.

I watched a program once about a man who went and came in contact with a wild pack of wolves, they practically took him in, once they saw he was no threat. And oh my goodness they are such fascinating creatures, and they work together like a family. Though I think in nowadays a lot of people have a lot more respect then fear for wolves. In the past people perhaps just didn't understand them, and only saw the vicious wild side of their nature.
I love werewolves too, obviously, which is both the reason for my avatar and user name. (I know their not real lol) but I'm disappointed with a lot of adaptions lately, as the person's focus is more on their new 'skills', abilities and blood thirst, rather then their new 'wolf-like' traits molding into their personality. Which could be very fascinating IMO if done right. Seeing as there is more to wolves then blood lust.
But that's getting too far off topic... :lol:

Posted Image

#30    a vampire wears my boxers

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

my cousin had a wolf hybrid and he was huge. if i went over to his house at night and didnt see Link (the wolf/pooch) he would let out a small howl. stopped my heart every time. awesome pet, but he'd drag goats into the yard. yummy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users