Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Floating down the stairs

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#46    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,609 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:28 AM

View PostTokemus, on 13 December 2009 - 05:42 AM, said:

I never had stairs in any of the houses I've lived in so this whole thread just makes me feel left out ;_;

Reading this thread brought back the same exact memory for me of jumping down a flight of wooden steps...then I read the post above and remembered I did not have any stairs in my house either.

Maybe it was just a dream (:

#47    kgarrington

kgarrington

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:44 AM

Yes, I thought that I was the only one!

View PostFugabutacus, on 16 February 2009 - 02:13 AM, said:

I've always had a strange memory. When I was around maybe four, I used to enjoy seeing if I could get down the stairs in as few steps as possible. Well one day I decided to go for it big time. I leapt from the very top step, and landed at the bottom of the stairs perfectly well and unharmed, as if I'd just jumped down one step. I vividly remember just sort of gliding down the stairs.

I was reading in article the other day in Paranormal magazine and the writer of the article had a similar experience where he fell down the stairs, bounced down each step and landed at the bottom unharmed. He says he did some research and its quite common and a lot of people have memories like his or like mine. Even the editor of that magazine recalls it.

I then googled this and found a few random forum topics by people who have a memory like this.

Does anyone else recall floating down the stairs as a child?

#48    GenerationNine

GenerationNine

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

• Never assume.

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:26 AM

Something similar happened to me when I fell out of a pine tree. I was halfway up or so, but when I fell I didn't hit any branches on the way down and wasn't hurt at all.

It's important to be both skeptical and open-minded.

#49    MetallicBlood

MetallicBlood

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

• You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Posted 02 April 2012 - 05:22 AM

I warned you about the stairs bro, I told you dog.

She stands out in a crowd, she thinks out loud to save her breath, with a portrait of her parents death.

#50    Fugabutacus

Fugabutacus

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:23 AM

Glad I started a thread with such a long lifespan! :D

#51    geminigemini

geminigemini

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Hi, I googled "kids levitating down stairs" and came across this site so joined to relate my own story.  I have a very clear recollection of, when I was around four, my brother (sixteen months older than me) saying how easy it was to float down stairs rather than walk, and that he did it all the time. We were sitting at the top of the stairs at the time, but I don't remember if I ever tried it and unfortunately my brother has no recollection even of the conversation, let alone "floating".  But when we were reminiscing about another house we lived in my younger brother told me he remembered "floating down stairs" when he was about five!

What prompted me to relate this tale is what happened at the weekend.  My grown-up niece visited us with her 2-year-old daughter and said she was running a bit late because Lauren had hurt herself on the stairs. She said she didn't  jump or stumble, it was "just like she thought she could fly down or something".  I can't help wondering if Lauren had either had a previous experience (or dream perhaps) of "floating"...?  I'm certainly not going to ask her while she's only 2 in case it puts ideas in her head, but I'll certainly ask her she's much older.  It will be interesting to see if she remembers.

#52    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

I think I'd be more impressed if someone floated UP the stairs myself.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#53    Jennifer_P

Jennifer_P

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:11 PM

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I read that anything you remebering happening from birth to 4 years old isn't the whole truth. Unless its something tragic.

Then again maybe you did.

#54    Jennifer_P

Jennifer_P

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

• He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

View Postgeminigemini, on 04 July 2013 - 12:28 PM, said:

Hi, I googled "kids levitating down stairs" and came across this site so joined to relate my own story.  I have a very clear recollection of, when I was around four, my brother (sixteen months older than me) saying how easy it was to float down stairs rather than walk, and that he did it all the time. We were sitting at the top of the stairs at the time, but I don't remember if I ever tried it and unfortunately my brother has no recollection even of the conversation, let alone "floating".  But when we were reminiscing about another house we lived in my younger brother told me he remembered "floating down stairs" when he was about five!

Childhood imagination? Very possible your brother floated down the stairs but then again it could of been childhood imagination.

#55    Missrach66

Missrach66

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 04:32 AM

When I was about  two years old I would float down the stairs. It seemed I would float down the stairs every morning. In the home I lived in we must had at 25 steps. I would somehow get out of my crib and I would look down at all of stairs as some sort of amusement park ride. I knew if I leapt I would float all of the way down to the bottom step safe and happy!  did this unil I was about three or four years old. I always thought it was normal, until my mom said it was impossible. When I was 16 my neighbor confessed to me that he used to float down the stairs. I was in amazement! Then I googled this experience and saw that a lot of people have had it. My friend says that we have this experience because our mothers carried us down the stairs when our eyes and focus were not fully developed. I wonder if it was angels or paranormal. I am also wondering if anybody has any Idea why they think young children would float down the stairs? I have had other weird things happen but this was the first of them.

Edited by Missrach66, 13 October 2013 - 05:07 AM.

#56    Haunted London

Haunted London

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostMissrach66, on 13 October 2013 - 04:32 AM, said:

My friend says that we have this experience because our mothers carried us down the stairs when our eyes and focus were not fully developed.

I too have the "floating down the stairs" memories and I think this may be a plausible explanation. I also remember having extremely vivid dreams throughout my childhood of being able to levitate and fly in a standing position, often through city streets, except that I would constantly spin in circles through 360 degrees as I was doing this.

Missrach66, the part of your post which I've quoted above also reminded me of a scene from the M. Night Shyamalan movie UNBREAKABLE, the one where Bruce Willis's character discovers he's a real-life superhero. There's a beautiful scene where he carries his wife up the stairs in their home, and it's deliberately shot so that it looks as if they're flying. When I saw it, it instantly evoked those childhood memories of floating down the stairs.

#57    George Ford

George Ford

smile

• 2,829 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

I had an experience when I was about 4-5 and I'd been put to bed by my mother who was having a dinner party with my dad and friends. I then remember dozing off only to be awoken by a small man with a hat on. He ducked under the bed and picked the whole bed up, with me in it. He then ran to the top of the stairs and floated down silently. I could hear my parents and their friends talking in the lounge and tried screaming but only silent air came out my mouth. The front door was open and the small man ran out and up the drive and then down the road. At the time it was ultra real.

I think it may have been a very early sleep paralysis experience. You probably had something like that happen, sometimes during sleep paralysis everything can seem very real.

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#58    Reeves

Reeves

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:29 AM

Me and my sister both have memories of floating. We talk about it and try and figure out how it's possible we both have them and we both were doing it. It wasn't stairs though, we would stand on the arm of our couch in the living room, and we would hold our arms out and we would soon be floating. It's the oddest thing and we both remember it clearly. We wouldn't be sleeping and if we were, we were connected in the same dream all the time. We did it a lot. It's crazy but it was so real. I wish I could figure out how we both have these recollections of doing it together.

#59    Hammerclaw

Hammerclaw

Poltergeist

• 2,173 posts

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:27 PM

I have the exact same memory and I am sure it was a dream. If it wasn't, I'd have done it all the time.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. - Hamlet (1.5.167-8),

#60    Oxo1

Oxo1

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 274 posts

• The answer to life is simple, once realised it's simply quite overwhelming.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

I can remember having the same experience of floating down the stairs when I was a child. Looking back on it now, I have a feeling that was my very first unintentional OOBE. I say that because I can vaguely remember seeing the living room downstairs to.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users