Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

What is causing my bed to shake?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1    Rausken

Rausken

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

Alright, I really need some help here. For the past two weeks my bed has started shaking at seemingly random points during the day/night. I thought my mind was just playing tricks on me until my girlfriend sat down on my bed one day and asked why it was moving. I was like, "you feel that too?" Anyway, the shaking is extremely subtle. It's not strong enough the shake the actual bed frame, just my mattress. The shaking will last anywhere from thirty seconds to three minutes and it will happen around three to four times a day. One night while the bed was shaking I decided to investigate.

I grabbed a flashlight and took a look under my bed. The only thing I have under my bed are a bunch of old toys from when I was younger stored in plastic containers. Everything looked normal and nothing was in contact with the lower bed frame. I then lifted the futon off of the box spring to see if there was anything between the two. There was nothing there and the shaking seemed to have stopped. The box spring nor my futon seemed to be shaking. I then put the futon back down on the box spring and my bed started shaking again. I then thought maybe it's due to seismic activity. So I checked a seismograph at a school around 1/4th of a mile from my house. There was no seismic activity at all. I know it's not anything like heavy machinery because I live in a suburban area. The closest place I can think of with that type of machinery is a quarry about seven miles from my house but even then the trucks stick to the highway which is nowhere near my house.

I don't find the actual shaking scary, it's just really annoying. I keep waking up due to my bed shaking. Last night was actually pretty bad, I got around three hours of sleep. Another strange thing, but probably irrelevant is that ever since the shaking began. I have been having some strange dreams, I have never in my life had dreams that felt so real and detailed. Last night I probably had one of the strangest to date but I also woke up and it felt like I had a burn on my left leg. I took a look and it looked normal as if nothing happened. Most of today it just felt like a burn but after taking a pretty long nap it now just feels really sore. I have been thinking of doing an experiment to see which area of my bed the shaking is coming from but due to school I just haven't been able to get around to it yet. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I just want to be able to sleep normally again...  sad.gif

Thanks in advance for any help.

#2    Dr. Peter Venkman

Dr. Peter Venkman

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:06 AM

Rausken on Feb 16 2009, 06:57 PM, said:

Alright, I really need some help here. For the past two weeks my bed has started shaking at seemingly random points during the day/night. I thought my mind was just playing tricks on me until my girlfriend sat down on my bed one day and asked why it was moving. I was like, "you feel that too?" Anyway, the shaking is extremely subtle. It's not strong enough the shake the actual bed frame, just my mattress. The shaking will last anywhere from thirty seconds to three minutes and it will happen around three to four times a day. One night while the bed was shaking I decided to investigate.

I grabbed a flashlight and took a look under my bed. The only thing I have under my bed are a bunch of old toys from when I was younger stored in plastic containers. Everything looked normal and nothing was in contact with the lower bed frame. I then lifted the futon off of the box spring to see if there was anything between the two. There was nothing there and the shaking seemed to have stopped. The box spring nor my futon seemed to be shaking. I then put the futon back down on the box spring and my bed started shaking again. I then thought maybe it's due to seismic activity. So I checked a seismograph at a school around 1/4th of a mile from my house. There was no seismic activity at all. I know it's not anything like heavy machinery because I live in a suburban area. The closest place I can think of with that type of machinery is a quarry about seven miles from my house but even then the trucks stick to the highway which is nowhere near my house.

I don't find the actual shaking scary, it's just really annoying. I keep waking up due to my bed shaking. Last night was actually pretty bad, I got around three hours of sleep. Another strange thing, but probably irrelevant is that ever since the shaking began. I have been having some strange dreams, I have never in my life had dreams that felt so real and detailed. Last night I probably had one of the strangest to date but I also woke up and it felt like I had a burn on my left leg. I took a look and it looked normal as if nothing happened. Most of today it just felt like a burn but after taking a pretty long nap it now just feels really sore. I have been thinking of doing an experiment to see which area of my bed the shaking is coming from but due to school I just haven't been able to get around to it yet. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I just want to be able to sleep normally again...  sad.gif

Thanks in advance for any help.

Buy a new bed, or move further away from the train tracks  tongue.gif

#3    coconutmilk

coconutmilk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:11 AM

Hey, Rausken, are you stressed in any way from school? Instead of the bed literally shaking, it could be that you are the one shaking, but you are consciously aware that only the bed is shaking. From what I understood from your explanation, the shaking stops as soon as you stand up and investigate but begins to shake upon you lying back down. In other words, either you may be stressed due to the demand in school or you may have a psychological disorder. To explain the event with your girlfriend, maybe she was too shocked to notice your bed was shaking rather than notice that you were the one shaking. From my research, if this is true, you are experiencing signs of Myoclonus. But to be honest with you, I highly doubt this is the answer. I am just throwing ideas out there.  happy.gif If not this, then maybe something paranormal... nah. Anyone else have a solution?

#4    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,409 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:24 AM

This has been discussed before in other threads. Hope this helps.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...=144542&hl=

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum...=140246&hl=

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#5    Rausken

Rausken

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:45 AM

coconutmilk on Feb 16 2009, 06:11 PM, said:

Hey, Rausken, are you stressed in any way from school? Instead of the bed literally shaking, it could be that you are the one shaking, but you are consciously aware that only the bed is shaking. From what I understood from your explanation, the shaking stops as soon as you stand up and investigate but begins to shake upon you lying back down. In other words, either you may be stressed due to the demand in school or you may have a psychological disorder. To explain the event with your girlfriend, maybe she was too shocked to notice your bed was shaking rather than notice that you were the one shaking. From my research, if this is true, you are experiencing signs of Myoclonus. But to be honest with you, I highly doubt this is the answer. I am just throwing ideas out there.  happy.gif If not this, then maybe something paranormal... nah. Anyone else have a solution?

I actually rather enjoy school. Yeah, I have a lot of homework but it's not stressing me out in any way. I still have plenty of time to do other things and I am a pretty happy person. Also, when my girlfriend asked me why the bed was moving I was sitting at my computer checking my e-mail before we went out for the evening. So I don't think it has anything to do with me moving the bed. I guess I should have worded that better.  hmm.gif

EDIT: Also, when the bed started shaking again after I had placed my futon back on the box spring. I gently placed my hand on the futon and felt it shaking.

Edited by Rausken, 17 February 2009 - 03:11 AM.

#6    Aubrienne_Ellyrias

Aubrienne_Ellyrias

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 880 posts

• Those who criticize our generation forget who raised it.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:14 AM

maybe your about to become the next exsorcist. thats how they always start. get a new bed.

Edited by Lost Souls, 17 February 2009 - 07:15 AM.

Were not IT..were just the other side, the empty unimportant consiquence trying to be a problem and solve itself..we are stuck, we are shadows, an echo of reality.

#7    allie_shy

allie_shy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 158 posts

• make your ends known to your means

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:30 AM

Do you live near train tracks, even if they aren't really close by they can still cause your house to shake, and for some reason you can notice it more on the bed.

I moved into my house a few years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night to my bed shaking horribly, for a long time i didn't know what it was i thought it was impossible for it to be the train i thought it was simply too far away, but later on in the year in the summer when I had my window open the horn of the train was in sync with when the shaking would start and dissipate.

go on to google earth, and just look around your area, see if there are any trains or major water ways or dams they can cause this as well.

Everyone is an expert with a degree on the internet.

#8    Jimmy T

Jimmy T

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 175 posts

• In darkness is power

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:28 PM

Rausken on Feb 16 2009, 06:57 PM, said:

After you get finished chasing physical explanations, if you are still unsatisfied with the mundane answers you should check out Robert Monroe's books about the out of body experience.  The physical vibrations you describe are associated with the early stages of the process, which does happen spontaneously in some people.  If you don't do anything with them, they'll eventually just go away, but working with them is something that can be learned and controlled.  Several of his books are available in online format for free at www.scribd.com and the following link takes you directly to one of his howto books.  Since you are already connecting a new type of dreaming experience to the presence of the vibrations, you should check this out and ignore the people here who say that life is no fun and we should just take the pills and be quiet.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/11790843/Techniq...n-Robert-Monroe

Jimmy

American Shaman
Jimmy's Backpacking Page

"In darkness is power . . . ." -- the Tao Teh Ching

#9    darkmanure

darkmanure

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 09:26 AM

I have experienced similar problems.

I have felt subtle shakings of the bed when I'm laying still watching tv for the last couple of weeks.
Not only that I also felt getting touched but nothing was there, I even checked for bugs and The room was lit.

I say just ignore it and it'll probably go away.
I wasn't freaked out or phased at all.

#10    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

mine used to shake when i was waking up (or it woke me up?) i always put it down to astral body coming back in.

how new is this mattress?
the burning could be a rash/irritant/etc.
describe your dreams, if you care to..

Enjoy the journey, i say original.gif

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#11    Karl_Kolchak

Karl_Kolchak

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 66 posts

• "The only good vampire,is a dead Vampire"

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:45 PM

i live a bout 8 miles from train tracks,and sometimes on a clear crisp night,the windows shake,also how old is the house,and are there pipes located anywhere under the floor around ur bed?

ALL I HEAR FROM EVERYONE IS....BLAH...BLAH......BLAH.....

#12    glyndowers heir

glyndowers heir

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

• We Are What We Are,
    But Some Of Us Are Not What We Seem!

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

Sounds like harmonic resonance from large machinery operations,

At one time I lived 5 miles from a Drop forge works and we could sometimes feel the thump from the hammers as several of them operated in sequence - it all depended on the frequency of co-incideal hits by several hammers at once.

Some people are like Slinkys ™! -
they don't do much good when they sit around ,
but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down stairs

#13    Jon-Jon

Jon-Jon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 03:23 AM

Under my personal opinion, there are several things that it could be, but to begin with lets leave paranormal for last, first you need to see if anything "rational" can be proven or disproved.
My first suspicion as i read threw your post is plumbing, and waterlines. It is very possible that a waterline, pipe, or vent for your heater could of broke, or cracked in the last few months. If so as it is used and the air or water goes threw, it might be hitting on something, or just might be causing pressure to shake that individual part of the house where your bed is. Even if it can just as easily, if not more happen, due to pipes running threw out the whole building.

The first thing you want to do is move your bed, hopefully as far away from that spot as possible. See if the shaking continues, If it dose, an entity may very possibly be targeting your bed as an object to get your attention. But if it dose I highly suggest that you call a plumber, or something. Because if it continues too long and it actually is due to something hitting the bottom of your floor, or pressure, then you may be in serous risk, and your floor may deteriorate.
So you may want to get an inspector over for that.
If you are absolutely sure that it is not that, i would check your futon next, make sure that the maters is good, I don't know what you would be putting in such a thing, but it could be possible; something might be in it.

If it dose not stop even after you check everything off, i would try getting a new mattress, or whole new bed altogether. Don't let restless nights come to you, I'm sure its not good for your academic carrier or your health.

Thanks for bringing up the topic

- Jon Jon

Edit: It could be the box spring.

Edited by Jon-Jon, 06 March 2009 - 03:29 AM.

#14    Blueguardian

Blueguardian

Poltergeist

• 2,248 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:51 AM

Lost Souls on Feb 17 2009, 06:14 PM, said:

maybe your about to become the next exsorcist. thats how they always start. get a new bed.

Yeah that sounds about right, not enough good nights sleep and an uncomfortable bed will cause your head to spin 360o tongue.gif

Posted Image

(((Just My $00.2 cents)))

#15    Jimmy T

Jimmy T

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 175 posts

• In darkness is power

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

The really interesting stuff happens when you eliminate all the physical possibilities, but I think we might have lost our test subject by now, is he still looking at any of this?  I still get the vibrations from time to time, usually happens sometime between 2 and 4 in the morning and I'm so used to it now that I don't notice them unless I'm awake.  I found Robert Monroe's techniques of working with them to be completely valid, although it takes some patience and concentration.  People fail a lot before they have any success, and it takes a lot time to get consistent results.  Heck of a lot of fun, though.

A physical source that I don't think anyone here has mentioned yet is the person's own heartbeat.  If you've ever spent much time sleeping on Army cots (and not many have unless they've actually been in the Army) you probably know this already.  Blood flow is mostly lengthwise, head to toe or toe to head.  If you are sleeping on something that's loosely framed, sometimes you can get a harmonic vibration going just from your own pulse, in phase with some odd aspect of the bed, strong enough that it shakes you back and forth like somebody has a good grip on the cot.  

The other vibration is different, happens at a higher frequency yet is strong enough to shake the entire body sometimes.  When it gets strong enough to rattle you back and forth in the bed faster than any physical explanation could (short of heavy machinery, which is pretty easy to rule out), then you have to wonder if something else is going on.

Not confined to any one place or situation in my case.  Happens when I'm around people sometimes, sometimes when I'm not.  I used to work at night and it would happen to me when I was sitting at my duty station.  

Jimmy T

American Shaman
Jimmy's Backpacking Page

"In darkness is power . . . ." -- the Tao Teh Ching

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users