Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Bloop

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#136    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 08 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

Blue_army on Mar 8 2009, 10:25 AM, said:

Well if i remmber didn't they find a large shark recently, that lives very close to those depths?

Nope.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#137    shellsandscales

shellsandscales

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

Mattshark on Mar 7 2009, 04:40 PM, said:

That is only to a point though mate. After a certain depth, even a large soft body will be destroyed by pressure (and these animals still have hard bits). The smaller the form the better in terms of pressure.

shellsandscales: We regard 100m as deep to us. 500m is very deep to us. But in terms of ocean depth these are nothing. When you are talking abyssal plain, you are talking 4-6km down deeper than sperm whales can reach by over 1km. Light reaches down just 0.9km. You have to go below 0.9km to enter the aphotic zone we can do that. Bathypelagic is relatively deep and there soft bodied animals are the only ones who survive permanently at a large size, however they are not known to and giant squid are found at an average depth of 300m (shallower that the first filmed specimen at 900m but during the same trip they where filmed at 240m). Others can make temporary dives down there but you look at the permanent vertebrate life and you'll see it ain't that big. Even long animals life the gulper eel are just a big mouth with thin body and deep sea angler fish are far smaller than their shallow water relative. But it is different in the abyssal zone squid can touch the top of it but that is all and they can not permanently survive down there and they certainly can not in the hadal zone (deeper again).
The pressure in these areas is enormous. If you went the you would not even get close to that depth before you imploded and life down there certainly can not survive at the surface. Water pressure is a severe limiting factor on animals and the pressure at these depths is so great that a large body is just not sustainable. It is not just that though. There is no permanent sustainable primary production. Hydrothermal vents do not last 10 years and are few and far between. There is not enough marine snow to sustain a large number of species and there is certainly not a chance of photosynthesis. So if by some extremely bizarre turn a very large animal evolved down there there would simply not be the food to sustain it.

So you've just confirmed everything that I've been saying. These large animals can be found in the deep ocean. LARGE ANIMALS. You say yourself, blue whales down to over 1k!!! STOP already with the there are no large animals in the deep ocean. There may not be permenant residents, on or near the ocean floor, of very large size but you are confirming right now what I have been saying. If you look, even "just" down to depths of no more then 1K. That is deep. I don't care what your perspective on deep is but 1k is freaking deep. and if you take the volume of the ocean down to 1k it is such a large amount of space it is hard to fully wrap ones head around. It is far more likely for there to be a large undiscovered animal living in that space than not. Especially if you are talking squid or octopus, animals that are considered to be intelligent and have amazing camo abilities. They're just not going to be out in the open holding up a colorful banner for everyone to see. I think you keep getting stuck on the phrase "deep ocean" and are only considering it as the very deepest part, taking it much too literally for use in these types of discussion. No one is saying "Do these things exist ON OR NEAR THE OCEAN FLOOR". You're twisting something that is vague into something specific. Thats like me saying "I saw a bird flying very high in the sky" but all you keep saying is "birds can't fly in the upper stratosphere its not possible". But like I said before in another post, for all intensive purpopses and especially when people(laymen) are talking about animals and cryptids, deep ocean is just that, anything that is deep. And to most people that isn't just on or near the ocean floor. I did confirm on that documentary that squid live in one of the deepest trenches in the ocean. If you disagree take it up with discover channel. Again they are not the Smithsonian or American Journal of Science but I'm certain they didn't just make complete fabrications for a documentary.

#138    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 12:06 AM

shellsandscales on Mar 8 2009, 11:06 PM, said:

So you've just confirmed everything that I've been saying. These large animals can be found in the deep ocean. LARGE ANIMALS. You say yourself, blue whales down to over 1k!!! STOP already with the there are no large animals in the deep ocean. There may not be permenant residents, on or near the ocean floor, of very large size but you are confirming right now what I have been saying. If you look, even "just" down to depths of no more then 1K. That is deep. I don't care what your perspective on deep is but 1k is freaking deep. and if you take the volume of the ocean down to 1k it is such a large amount of space it is hard to fully wrap ones head around. It is far more likely for there to be a large undiscovered animal living in that space than not. Especially if you are talking squid or octopus, animals that are considered to be intelligent and have amazing camo abilities. They're just not going to be out in the open holding up a colorful banner for everyone to see. I think you keep getting stuck on the phrase "deep ocean" and are only considering it as the very deepest part, taking it much too literally for use in these types of discussion. No one is saying "Do these things exist ON OR NEAR THE OCEAN FLOOR". You're twisting something that is vague into something specific. Thats like me saying "I saw a bird flying very high in the sky" but all you keep saying is "birds can't fly in the upper stratosphere its not possible". But like I said before in another post, for all intensive purpopses and especially when people(laymen) are talking about animals and cryptids, deep ocean is just that, anything that is deep. And to most people that isn't just on or near the ocean floor. I did confirm on that documentary that squid live in one of the deepest trenches in the ocean. If you disagree take it up with discover channel. Again they are not the Smithsonian or American Journal of Science but I'm certain they didn't just make complete fabrications for a documentary.

Yes but people are not talking mid depth like 1km (which is barely a 1/4 of the average ocean depth) down when they talk of the great depths people really do talk about trenches. They really do mean 6km down or below (It gets to 11km in depth at parts). We have a very good idea at 1km. However re:the blue whale. That is its maximum dive depth. It does not spend most of its time there, an blue whale may never go that deep. Blue whales spend the day at 100m roughly, coming up for air every 20 mins MAX, they spend the night at the surface. Also these ranges are limited to the edge of the continental shelf. There is very very little in the open ocean. There is massive decreases even at 1km in terms of food availability.
You think animals in an aphotic environment will have camo? Why, there is no light?

Discovery channel really do just make fabrications. There have some very poor quality programs. It is entertainment mate, not science.

YNWA

#139    doesnt_matter

doesnt_matter

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:31 PM

Perhaps Ctuhlu farted.  ohmy.gif

#140    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,238 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 09:53 AM

So what is it? Remmber we have only explored 3% of ocean.

#141    MysteryMike

MysteryMike

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

• Just a average 21 year old guy with a creative mind.

Posted 10 March 2009 - 12:27 PM

Blue_army on Mar 10 2009, 05:53 AM, said:

Actually 5%. Heard about it somewhere.

My Youtube Account - http://www.youtube.c...r/Dinospikester

My Deviantart Account - http://mikespikester11.deviantart.com/

My Fanfiction.net Account - http://www.fanfictio...2/CrossoverMike

#142    ResidentDevil

ResidentDevil

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:27 PM

doesnt_matter on Mar 9 2009, 06:31 PM, said:

Perhaps Ctuhlu farted.  ohmy.gif

No it dropped a huge chocolate fudge in the sea, after apparently having a dozen of these: tongue.gif

linked-image

Edited by ResidentDevil, 10 March 2009 - 01:27 PM.

#143    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 02:06 PM

Blue_army on Mar 10 2009, 09:53 AM, said:

NOAA think it is ice (see e-mail).

YNWA

#144    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 10,514 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 06:01 AM

Mattshark on Mar 11 2009, 12:06 AM, said:

NOAA think it is ice (see e-mail).

I remember that they said that about shallower waters before Piccard and his mate went down.
I'd say that stuff may very well live that deep, but as Doctor McCoy says, it's life, but not as we know it.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users