Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Weaponizing ball lightning

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16    Benz

Benz

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 281 posts

• Neck Yourself

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:18 AM

Melioth on Feb 26 2009, 04:01 AM, said:

I think there will be a huge debate about this. Such as lightning being natural and that we don't have the right to control it.......or something. I really don't care. But people will debate over stupid things.

The debate wouldn't last long.

Person A "Changing something that is Natural is wrong."

Person B "Everything we own/build/do is changing something That is Natural, whether it be the ground, air, water."

Debate over because person A is a hypocrite. Unless of course they stand in one spot in their entire life with no clothes, no nothing.

Posted Image

#17    DrawingPics

DrawingPics

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:20 AM

clubfoot on Feb 26 2009, 02:15 AM, said:

"An ounce of prevention prevents a pound of cure."

This quote is much easier to understand

#18    clubfoot O.M.G.

clubfoot O.M.G.

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:32 AM

AGoodWriter on Feb 26 2009, 05:20 AM, said:

This quote is much easier to understand

There is a lot to be said for those old quotes. They did 'come about' as a consequence of experience, or, if you like, 'learning from history'.  thumbsup.gif

#19    DrawingPics

DrawingPics

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:44 AM

clubfoot on Feb 26 2009, 03:32 AM, said:

There is a lot to be said for those old quotes. They did 'come about' as a consequence of experience, or, if you like, 'learning from history'.  thumbsup.gif

Ya as long as the quotes are not contradictory.

#20    clubfoot O.M.G.

clubfoot O.M.G.

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:47 AM

AGoodWriter on Feb 26 2009, 05:44 AM, said:

Ya as long as the quotes are not contradictory.

THAT is the 'tricky bit', sorting the wheat from the chaff! That's where personal assessment comes in, and given that people's opinions are quite often contradictory, "one person's rags can be another's riches".  laugh.gif

#21    Ghost Ship

Ghost Ship

an invisible dream

• 2,959 posts

• I have no idea where this will lead us. But I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:47 AM

chrisfreak on Feb 25 2009, 07:29 AM, said:

I remember I read somewhere that lightning doesn't have that much valuable energy for us.

Your correct it seems.   LINK

"The energy liberated by lightning is indeed impressive. For example, during one lightning strike, tens of thousands of amps of electrical current flow between hundreds of millions of volts, releasing several billion joules of energy in just a fraction of a second. Furthermore, there are about four million lightning strikes on our planet every single day, resulting in a total worldwide power of more than 100 billion watts. If this large amount of energy could somehow be harnessed it would supply a significant fraction of the power needs of the United States."

"Unfortunately, lightning strikes are also distributed over a very large area, and the density of strikes at any one location is relatively small. At our 250-acre lightning center in north-central Florida, we get about six natural lightning strikes per year. Using rockets trailing wires we can trigger an additional dozen or so. The result is that even on a pretty big piece of land in the lightning capital of the United States the energy of the lightning would only power a few 100-watt light bulbs—and that assumes that somehow we could extract all the energy out of the lightning, which would be nearly impossible. To put this in perspective, if all the solar energy that falls upon the same area were captured then it would power several million 100-watt light bulbs. As a result, despite its impressive show of power, lightning is not in fact a practical source of energy."

#22    :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

:PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

Deadliest of the Species

• 3,783 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

Ghost Ship on Feb 26 2009, 04:47 AM, said:

Your correct it seems.   LINK

I've got my dose of facts for today. original.gif

Edited by :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:, 26 February 2009 - 03:21 PM.

Posted Image
"I'd long heard rumors of an alien species that hunted men for sport. I'd always thought they were nothing but campfire tales."

#23    Blueguardian

Blueguardian

Poltergeist

• 2,248 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

What possible use could ball lighting be as a weapon? we have guns already and they do any job fine, why carry around a gun that could overload and blow any second? I really doubt weapon stability.

Posted Image

(((Just My $00.2 cents)))

#24    newbloodmoon

newbloodmoon

cosmic wombat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

• "Only through absolute loyalty to each other can the few control the many." - Peter J. Carroll

Posted 28 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

What would you need as a focus or spell component to use ball lightning as a weapon?.....  blink.gif  Oh wait, D&D flashback there.  In all seriousness, I think it would be pretty damn cool if we could harness that as a weapon, the sad thing is whatever we tested it on would then lead to animal and then possible human experimentation to see how it destroyed flesh.  We do have somewhat of an idea as there have been people who have been struck by lightning, but that isn't intentional... maybe?

A newcomer asked to be shown the way to the monastery, and Chao-chou replied:  "Have you finished eating your rice?... Then go wash your bowl!"  Therupon the monk gained instant enlightenment.

#25    Mr.Delicious

Mr.Delicious

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

Whats all the complaining about? Our nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons are far more destructive than ball lightining could ever be. Heavens forbid our goverment has a potentially cheap, effective, and demoralizing weapon that does not put our serviceman in harms way. You would need a massive amount of energy for it to be more deadly than a standard cruise missle, why is everyone commenting how this is a sign of the apocolypse? The weapon would be effective at terrain deniance, messing with electronic systems, and demoralization tactics, but even the strongest known lighting bolts barely put a dent into metallic objects, ball lighting as a weapon is nothing to start quoting einstein about people.

Edited by Mr.Delicious, 18 March 2009 - 10:43 PM.

#26    Promethius

Promethius

Transient

• 1,032 posts

• Knowledge is Power

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

Lightning as a weapon...

Is there anything that we, as a speciese, haven't tried to kill each other with yet?

#27    clubfoot O.M.G.

clubfoot O.M.G.

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

Mr.Delicious on Mar 18 2009, 10:38 PM, said:

Whats all the complaining about? Our nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons are far more destructive than ball lightining could ever be. Heavens forbid our goverment has a potentially cheap, effective, and demoralizing weapon that does not put our serviceman in harms way. You would need a massive amount of energy for it to be more deadly than a standard cruise missle, why is everyone commenting how this is a sign of the apocolypse? The weapon would be effective at terrain deniance, messing with electronic systems, and demoralization tactics, but even the strongest known lighting bolts barely put a dent into metallic objects, ball lighting as a weapon is nothing to start quoting einstein about people.

I agree with you. I guess the main issue is not the destructive capability of ball lightning, it's more a case of, why do they have to look at the weapon's capability aspect in the first place? As you've effectively stated, we are already 'armed to the teeth', a little 'constructive' rather than 'destructive' research would be nice, but of course there is the budget funding allocation issue to deal with first.

#28    clubfoot O.M.G.

clubfoot O.M.G.

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:10 PM

Promethius on Mar 18 2009, 10:53 PM, said:

Lightning as a weapon...

Is there anything that we, as a speciese, haven't tried to kill each other with yet?

If we come to truly understand quantum physics we may even be able to 'disrupt' things at a molecular level, now wouldn't that be fun! This is starting to 'feel' suspiciously like the "Chaos Theory" to me.  tongue.gif  

#29    Promethius

Promethius

Transient

• 1,032 posts

• Knowledge is Power

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

If we come to truly understand quantum physics we may even be able to 'disrupt' things at a molecular level.

It's a bit tragic really, we've done so much fighting, but were only just getting started...

Just wait 'till they produce nanobots which can kill us from the inside and selective-viruses and all sorts of other things guarenteed to spoil the party. sad.gif

#30    clubfoot O.M.G.

clubfoot O.M.G.

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,283 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:27 PM

Promethius on Mar 18 2009, 11:14 PM, said:

It's a bit tragic really, we've done so much fighting, but were only just getting started...

Just wait 'till they produce nanobots which can kill us from the inside and selective-viruses and all sorts of other things guarenteed to spoil the party. sad.gif

I made a mistake before, I meant to say sub-atomic, not molecular, anyhow, there is always an 'upside' to the 'downside', nanobots may very well end up saving peoples' lives through less 'intrusive' surgery. When we overcome our propensity for violence we can actually be a pretty good 'bunch of people'. Philanthropy does actually still exist, all we have to do is remember that and 'apply' it. Easy to say, harder to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users