Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

smell of death?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    MsKatsipoulis

MsKatsipoulis

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:20 AM

Crookedass My mother smells her mothers perfume, Its not one you can buy anymore and she smells it sometimes out of the random, in the bathroom, or sometimes she wakes at night and smells it, while she is cooking, or just sitting and watching tele. Its a unique fragrance and she smells it every now and then. She finds it rather comforting as she believes it her mothers way of letting her know she is there.

The only thing odd about your story, is that its a horrid smell and not one of a pleasant nature that would remind her distinctly of your father ... *shrugs*  blink.gif

(Im sorry to hear of your fathers passing  innocent.gif )

Edited by Ms_Katsipoulis, 27 February 2009 - 06:21 AM.

****DONT TELL ME THE SKY IS THE LIMITS WHEN THERE ARE FOOTPRINTS ON THE MOON****

#17    Lolipopkid

Lolipopkid

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 07:22 AM

The death of your Father was most likely a very shocking event to your Mom. Human brains tend to retain such memories in times like that and anything that would smell even slightly similar to what she experienced that day will restore the memory.

This is not saying that your Dad is not there with her and you for that matter. It just means that your Mom may have been traumatized by the experience.

I am truly sorry for your loss.

#18    crookedass

crookedass

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

thanks for all your replies.

the idea of my mum being traumatized (sp?) kind of makes sense. however i'd like to point out that, this smell doesn't remind my mum of my dad, from when he was alive. my dad didn't smell rotten, however sometimes he could smell awful lol cause he works in the land services department so he'd be in contact with dirt, muck, and to say....dog crap, as he cut the grass in gardens and parks. but he'd shower every morning and after work. so this smell isnt from my dad. she first smelled it when she came in contact with the smell from the embalms in the funeral service. she knows it was the embalmments, or atleast...thought it was them,  cause the thing is, nobody else could smell this odor. like i stated, i was standing right beside in the viewing, and i dont know what this smell, smells like.

the thing is only my mum smells it, when she was in the funeral service, at his grave, or driving by the place he died, and has smelled it in our house, where he lived his last years, and also has smelled it at the hospital when my dads sister passed away (accompanied with orbs)

so i'd like to think that it is my dad lingering around our home, his grave, where he died, and that he was there to take his sister to where ever they go. the only thing is, i don't understand why he'd make my mum aware of his presence by using such a horrible strong smell.

#19    PercyJackson

PercyJackson

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 230 posts

• "best satisfaction comes from succeeding in something that others say you cannot."

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:13 PM

Well, I'm glad that there's nothing bad happening around.

I really don't see the logic in it, it is a horrible smell and it is a good spirit? I guess we need some experts here now... happy.gif

But i will try and look for some exemptions in it. maybe there are really some events that good spirits might exhibit horrible odor...

Percy Jackson

"There's n0 gre@t f0rtune in @nything inst@nt..."

"The d00rs for le@rning are @lw@ys 0pen f0r ne0phytes..."

#20    crookedass

crookedass

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

well yeah, my mum describes it as a strong rotten smell that stays in her nose for hours after it suddenly appears.

No way was my dad an evil or bad person. He'd often say nasty things, but he'd be joking about it, or he'd take it back and apologise.

#21    Ketsueki Ame

Ketsueki Ame

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:56 PM

Peopel who are sick or have slowly failing organs have that bad smell too, i can smell it whem i'm on the bus, sometimes off old people, sometimes off 40/30 year olds, sometimes younger. Sometimes it makes me really sick and i have to breathe through my sleeve xD

Maybe you mother is stressed and haven't been getting enough sleep and she's having this smell herself but didn't notice it before. It doesn't need to originate from something supernatural. It could be either one of you emitting the smell. Especially if your dad was clean, he wouldn't leave smells around after he was dead would he?

#22    LadyHay

LadyHay

Poltergeist

• 2,232 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hi Crooked... I agree with Ketsueki Ame.  "sick flesh" has a definite smell to it.  I remember working in the doctor's office many years ago, and one patient had this smell about her.  I remember hoping that the doctor would pick up on it, but he was useless.  FINALLY, I got her booked in for a Pap smear and it turned out that she had advanced cervical cancer.  (Doc was so proud of himself too!)

Once you smell the scent of death or rotting tissue, you never forget it and it does kind of stay in your memory.  Other scents may trigger that memory.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but sometimes to me, BO smells like a hamburger and vice versa.  It takes a second for me to figure out which.  (needless to say I'm not fond of hamburgers! tongue.gif)

#23    hecate

hecate

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 146 posts

• And with strange aeons even death may die.

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

well yeah, my mum describes it as a strong rotten smell that stays in her nose for hours after it suddenly appears.

No way was my dad an evil or bad person. He'd often say nasty things, but he'd be joking about it, or he'd take it back and apologise.

I know the EXACT smell you are talking of, I have never realised other people could NOT in fact smell this smell. My partner's father died of cancer at home and for the last 6 month of his life, this smell was very distinct, it would permeate the hallway. It would actually make me nauseous. Whenever I would go into the room where he died, I can smell that smell (I spoke of it before in some other thread). I call it the 'kiss of death', and I believe it is literally the smell of the body dying (in this case, cancer) and it IS a sickly sweet smell, so sweet that it is totally fowl, I can understand how someone could describe it as 'rotten'. Please do NOT listen to these ludicrous people saying this is something to do with an "evil entity", that is a ridiculous proposition to make to someone who has just lost their father. I can't explain what exactly this smell is, but I can assure you what your mother is perceiving is not an isolated smell, it is not the smell of 'evil' and it is quite a well known phenomenon amongst nurses and those who work in hospices to report this smell around the dying, or the terminally ill, sometimes months in advance or even prior to a diagnosis.

Here is a forum that might help you, or at the very least, some comfort in regard to this.

http://www.soulcast.com/post/show/59247/Smell-of-Death

#24    behaviour???

behaviour???

Saru's Slave

• 6,763 posts

• Its is when aspirations come in toe with destiny, are great men manifested

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

The smell your mother experienced as to what I belive is the way of showing the affection your mother had to her husband and the reason why it smells in your house id that that place has witnessed him so long and therefor the brain urges to override your mums senses(Scientifically Explained)...and you talking to your father it would have been a dream....It happens like when my cousin died .......however I cannot guarantee you the accuracy of both the cases since it is paranormal
Thanks
B???

Posted Image

#25    LadyHay

LadyHay

Poltergeist

• 2,232 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

l1l1th on Feb 27 2009, 09:40 AM, said:

I know the EXACT smell you are talking of, I have never realised other people could NOT in fact smell this smell. My partner's father died of cancer at home and for the last 6 month of his life, this smell was very distinct, it would permeate the hallway. It would actually make me nauseous. Whenever I would go into the room where he died, I can smell that smell (I spoke of it before in some other thread). I call it the 'kiss of death', and I believe it is literally the smell of the body dying (in this case, cancer) and it IS a sickly sweet smell, so sweet that it is totally fowl, I can understand how someone could describe it as 'rotten'. Please do NOT listen to these ludicrous people saying this is something to do with an "evil entity", that is a ridiculous proposition to make to someone who has just lost their father. I can't explain what exactly this smell is, but I can assure you what your mother is perceiving is not an isolated smell, it is not the smell of 'evil' and it is quite a well known phenomenon amongst nurses and those who work in hospices to report this smell around the dying, or the terminally ill, sometimes months in advance or even prior to a diagnosis.

Here is a forum that might help you, or at the very least, some comfort in regard to this.

http://www.soulcast.com/post/show/59247/Smell-of-Death

I second that statement absolutely..  I actually could not believe I read that and then to bring the O'board into it.

#26    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,986 posts

• “Truth is an experience not a belief"

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:29 PM

I know that smell as well. I remember being very aware of it in a friends house after her mother had died from cancer (she didn't die in the house) but it lingered for weeks as far as i was aware..I don't know if she could smell it or not.

Do you think it's possible that your mother noticed this particular smell so strongly because it didn't quite register with her scent memory that it was your father or should be what she would have intimately 'known' as your fathers scent. So being that it was a particularly emotional and stressful time when she first smelled it, it's over written her scent memory for now. Perhaps the smell is being triggered when she is feeling stressed or emotional...

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#27    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

Max.L on Feb 26 2009, 10:39 AM, said:

Maybe your dad really wants your mom to know that he's still there. And maybe he knows that appearing as a ghost will probably scare her and finds another way of allowing her to know his presence.

Personally, the "odor of death" would scare me a lot more.

#28    Jaggerr

Jaggerr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 12:44 AM

I'm really sorry for your dads passing  sad.gif  but anyways i think your moms problem is that your mind is very powerful and when you think back to anything your mind can reproduce the same smell , feelings , etc and i can somewhat relate to your moms story because once i was in this class with this one rather chubby kid sitting right next to me (every day we changed seats in class) and it appeared that he just had finished up PE class and he was VERY , VERY , VERY smelly I cant even begin to describe how intoxicating the stench was yuck it was terrible and and the whole class i could not get rid of the smell and after the class i could even taste the smell and that was......AMAZING mad.gif but seriously i still to this day can actually TASTE IT still and its been about 3 years now so i think your moms problem is that she is thinking about the smell and so her mind is reproducing the smell for her unfortunately

Hey whats up ! Welcome to my profile

#29    primordial

primordial

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

• I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring-- Richard Feynman, physicist, d. 1988

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:48 AM

When was the last time she had visited the grave? I have an good guess that she is going to forget this smell..if she lets go and I do hope she does. Grief, normally lasts a year, but it has been almost three decades and it would be hard to let go. I am married  for only 16 years so I cant imagine the loss. Right now, she needs positive Energies/Auras s around her. The reason I ask about when she last visited because some certain graveyards might smell or will have that certain  “smell”.

Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason.
And this is what they choose...
And this is what they choose.

#30    Alchera

Alchera

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

• This world is life
    This “clouds-and-wonders”
    Is all I need
    And it will never go

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:03 AM

I hear smells and memories are closeley linked. And the other senses are ofcourse.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users