Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Can we compare physics and psychology?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16    Meiliken

Meiliken

Repository of human knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• How good can good men be if good men do nothing?

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:00 AM

xCrimsonx on Mar 30 2009, 11:32 PM, said:

In the 1930s he attended Pennsylvania State College where he became deeply interested in quantum physics, the physics of the subatomic realm. After graduating, he attended the University of California, Berkeley. While there he worked at the Lawrence Radiation Laboratory where, after receiving his doctorate in 1943, he began what was to become his landmark work on plasmas (a plasma is a gas containing a high density of electrons and positive ions). Bohm was surprised to find that once electrons were in a plasma, they stopped behaving like individuals and started behaving as if they were part of a larger and interconnected whole. He later remarked that he frequently had the impression that the sea of electrons was in some sense alive.

Plasma im familiar with. So e.g The human body is made up of an average of 8ltrs of plamsa without electric impulses from the brain haemo gases would not flow.

So on its own a plasma without a source is nothing, correct?

Not exactly.  Plasma moves through the body carrying blood that is the life of  the human body.  The brain controls to a limited degree the pumping of the heart.  The brain doesn't exactly send the synapses directly to the blood.  The synapses travel through the nervous system from the brain to the heart and the rest of the bodies systems.  When it sends to the heart, the heart then pumps the plasma and blood cells through the vessels.  Some parts of the body doesn't need as much blood as other parts, that's why if you take blood from one part and go to another part, the number of blood cells and the amount of plasma changes.  One part may have more blood cells, less plasma.  Another part may have more plasma, less blood cells.  Plasma basically carries the blood cells and oxygen(among other things), throughout the body.  But really it's not directly affected by synapses. thumbsup.gif

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Sir Richard Francis Burton

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance
Hippocrates

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
David Hume

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

#17    Meiliken

Meiliken

Repository of human knowledge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,764 posts

• How good can good men be if good men do nothing?

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

Really the only problem I have here is relating psychology with Quantum Physics.  They really have nothing to do with one another.  Quantum Physics isn't New Age, but a study of physics outside normal physics.  Take a Black Hole for example.  Inside a black hole, all physics become backwards which is why it is a challenge to currently understood physics.  It was once thought that black holes were a hole into nothing, but that is far from the truth.  I'll start by saying there are 2 types.  A White Hole. and a Black Hole.  The center of the Milky Way is a white hole that throws out cosmic matter as it burns brightly.  That is why it produces light.  A black hole is the reverse.  It pulls in all cosmic matter and light.  But it doesn't go nowhere, it simply breaks it back down smaller than atoms into what it was before it became planets, stars, and everything else in the galaxy.  If you want me to continue on, you'll have to ask me, because this goes way beyond psychology.

You see how different this is compared to psychology though?  They're not even close. thumbsup.gif

The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself
Sir Richard Francis Burton

There are in fact two things, science and opinion; the former begets knowledge, the latter ignorance
Hippocrates

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence.
David Hume

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Aldous Huxley

#18    whodis

whodis

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:48 PM

Meiliken on Apr 1 2009, 10:11 AM, said:

Really the only problem I have here is relating psychology with Quantum Physics.  They really have nothing to do with one another.  Quantum Physics isn't New Age, but a study of physics outside normal physics.  Take a Black Hole for example.  Inside a black hole, all physics become backwards which is why it is a challenge to currently understood physics.  It was once thought that black holes were a hole into nothing, but that is far from the truth.  I'll start by saying there are 2 types.  A White Hole. and a Black Hole.  The center of the Milky Way is a white hole that throws out cosmic matter as it burns brightly.  That is why it produces light.  A black hole is the reverse.  It pulls in all cosmic matter and light.  But it doesn't go nowhere, it simply breaks it back down smaller than atoms into what it was before it became planets, stars, and everything else in the galaxy.  If you want me to continue on, you'll have to ask me, because this goes way beyond psychology.

You see how different this is compared to psychology though?  They're not even close. thumbsup.gif

I agree, psychology and physics are separate subjects. Quantum Physics is very important and studying this in depth will go a long way to determine what reality is exactly. We're finding out more and more about the universe these days, and getting closer to answers which is very exciting. Psychology is more internal to a person, quantum physics can be viewed as external, encomapassing the world and wider universe.

I want to hear from Sideshow Bob! (sorry, Simpsons quote, couldn't resist!)

#19    Virtual Particle

Virtual Particle

Government Agent

• 3,424 posts

• c^2= (d/t)^2 = d^2/t^2 = (d^2) x (1/t^2)...Time is squared

Posted 02 April 2009 - 05:36 PM

You know that whole issue concerning science and probability? The one which presents that nothing is impossible only improbable? Historically speaking a very relevant aspect of rule, as for the  most part the effort to interfere with "Free thinking" (for lack of a better term) has been extreme. no.gif one could also add words like torture, mass graves, inquisitions to name a few. Here is the thing, the most anyone could legitimately say about
an idea which has the support of legitimate scientists (like David Bohm and Sir Roger Penrose to name a few). I understand  Meiliken that as you say, you feel you know allot about modern physics and what you think is really important to take into consideration. But and also clearly we are discussing the fundamentals here in relation to modern science. Something, which has worked since the beginning of the scientific method and the end  of the past unsuccessful methodologies.

Clearly Meiliken you feel that, it is highly improbable for the electro-chemical processes inherent in the human condition (brain activity, mind-body connection and so on) to effectively engage and or interact. With inherent quantum processes. I also feel with some degree of certainty

quantum mechanics
Function:noun plural but singular or plural in construction
Date:1922
: a theory of matter that is based on the concept of the possession of wave properties by elementary particles, that affords a mathematical interpretation of the structure and interactions of matter on the basis of these properties, and that incorporates within it quantum theory and the uncertainty principle —called also wave mechanics
— quantum mechanical adjective
— quantum mechanically adverb

I disagree and for several reasons. Amongst them, is the simple fact that your qualifications to arbitrarily deny, ad hoc, any conclusion which is supported by reputable members of the scientific community is mute. I apologize if that offends you but I am sure you can see where I am coming from here. I myself am somewhat offended that you have chosen this path, given what is explained above gives you an idea of why.

I also feel that when it comes to wave properties words such as frequencies and oscillations come to mind as well as does the word octave.

And more of course.

It is very possible in my mind Meiliken and not just because of physicists who have stepped up to the plate.......it has to do with experiences.  In my experiences what these prominent scientist are presenting seems worthy of discussion.  

Any thoughts?

Time is a form of communication
Consciousness transcends all states
that can be perceived as matter
Matter communicates its existence
to consciousness through time        
Man is infinite
God is more
Black Hole Creates Spectacular Light Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users